Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Flash is the movie event of the summer, and you must never - under any circumstances - pay money to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neo Rasa posted:

I know it won't be but I'd mark out if a $$$ budget action movie just had a single moment like the way this person being kicked across a room is conveyed in the film Death Powder at 24m48s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB19B4sJf5s

Someone with computer, edit this so that it’s Jor-El kicking Zod into the phantom zone

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Pirate Jet posted:

Army of the Dead is good.

Army Of The Dead is drat good. Perhaps the only thing holding it back is Snyder’s fame; having it released by anyone else would be an absolute shock.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

KVeezy3 posted:

“These swords are powered by the gauntlets that she holds. The gauntlets are these ancient [artifacts] from her home world"

Sounds familiar...

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Well, the latter is canon too.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Anti-Life really shouldn't be read literally, it's not exactly 'maths' unless in the, funnily enough, Lovecraftian idea of advanced mathematics being a part of magic.

The Anti-Life Equation is 100% literal. People just put too much emphasis on the “equation” part.

Like, e=mc2 is just five characters, chosen somewhat arbitrarily. Like, you could substitute the “e” with a “j” or something, but the point is a realization about the functioning of the universe.

“We are somebodies who move freely about and think what we choose. Puppets are not like that. They have nothing in their heads. They are unreal. When they are in motion, we know they are moved by an outside force. When they speak, their voices come from elsewhere. Their orders come from somewhere behind and beyond them. And were they ever to become aware of that fact, they would collapse at the horror of it all, as would we.
-Thomas Ligotti, “Conspiracy Against The Human Race”

The basic concept of TALE is that it expresses so much about the universe, so concisely, that the person who reads and understands it is granted a sort of limited omniscience. Rather than this being a source of power, though, the result is a total disillusionment.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 29, 2023

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Picture a molten metal sword. Picture what it does to things it hits. Now picture a lightsaber and what it does to things it hits.

It's the same dang thing!

"Lava sword is just like a lightsaber."
Lightsabers have always-already been made out of lava.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
White was defined by his anti-liberalism, and almost purely negative in that respect. This meant he was one of the only reviewers in the relative mainstream saying that, like, Toy Story is ideologically sus, Joss Whedon is bad, and satirical movies like Transformers are only vilified because they lay bare the hypocrisy.

Then, like many who defined themselves by ‘owning the libs’ circa 2010, White suddenly went positive: all-in on Trump and conspiracist fascism, revealing himself to be a rube.

The fatal mistake is in seeing Trump as an antidote to liberalism instead of a derangement of it. It’s the difference between appreciating Michael Bay movies and wanting Michael Bay’s characters to take over the nation IRL.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Roth posted:

What's the Toy Story stuff about?

Armond White’s claim to fame is that he was the only reviewer listed on Rotten Tomatoes Dot Com to rank Toy Story 3 as ‘rotten’ (i.e. below 60%). Doing so denied the film a ‘perfect score’ and, in the hype surrounding the Disney-Pixar movie where WOODY AND BUZZ LIGHTYEAR (almost) DIE AT THE END, fans were infuriated and other outlets were reporting breathlessly on the bizarre deviation. As White himself later recounts it, it was simply a critique of consumerist ideology:

“My heretical point, when writing about Toy Story 3, was that this insulting franchise delimited movies — particularly those targeted at children — as no longer expressive art but mere products synonymous with toys and the utility of toys: All reflection and imagination is left to the manufacturer. There’s nothing for the viewer to do but worship the formula.”

Scorsese!

Fascinatingly, White complains that his ‘anti-American’ review was attacked for being too ‘woke’ (though he would never use these terms on himself) - comparing the outrage to right-wing reactions against figures like Ilhan Omar and Colin Kaepernik. That’s (half-)sarcasm on his part, but still points to White’s appeal at the time: implicitly, not even evil radical libs like Omar would go so far as to dis Disney-Pixar at the height of its influence!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I’ve yet to see a Barbie, but The Snyder Cut Joke it’s employing isn’t a joke unless it’s actually ironic.

Like, when The Bear tells The Snyder Cut Joke, you have list of various terrorist groups that culminates in “#releasethesnydercut”. That’s not a joke unless the point is the overreaction to a meme. One of those things is not like the others, and they know this, which is why they toss it in at the end - as a punchline.

Otherwise, the dispiriting implication is that the person sees conspiracist fascism as merely a cultural threat and not a socioeconomic threat.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

It's a movie that bluntly says its own cartoon take on feminism only works in a cartoon world and that at best it can only cause incremental change once capital realizes it can make a little money off of it.

Having now seen it, the joke in Barbie is a bit more layered. The Barbie doll in question is being imagined by a designer at Mattel who imagines that men imagine that women should be ‘invested in’ the Snyder Cut. Also the the whole thing is ‘meta’, taking place inside a feature-length advertisement.

Basically, though, the claim is that when a woman says she likes the Snyder Cut, she’s brainwashed into subservience and only saying it to impress men.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The secret:

Don’t say “I like Zack Snyder movies.”

Say “I like Zack Snyder’s communist movies.”

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I love, love, love 28 Weeks Later.

Days is great, but the sequel's on a whole other level.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bogus Adventure posted:

It's because those are fake tattoos. He wanted to trigger the fanboys before revealing his Jesus-like outfit in the Knightmare reality, where those same tattoos are conspicuously gone.

They aren't fake tattoos; Joker in the Snyder Cut is wearing face-paint that covers his tattoos even though his face was already bleached white. He's painted himself up to look like himself.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Hyped for the one shot of dudes playing violin.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

teagone posted:

I hope robot Anthony Hopkins kicks a bunch of rear end.

Casting Hopkins as C3PO ‘cause he’s also named Anthony.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The one downside of the Justice Is Grey version is you don't get the impact of the black suit.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The talk-show montage in BVS owns because they got these ideologists onscreen to literally debate The Jewish Question.

Nobody comes off looking good, and it’s also immediately apparent that they’re talking about the movie Man Of Steel, which lends an air of unseriousness to their canned responses. “Superman is an alien from space, and space is really big if you think about it.” Yeah, great job Neil.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 8, 2023

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The only problem with the title Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice is that the sequel isn’t called Batman V Superman V Wonderwoman: Six Finest Heroes Revealed: League Of Justice In The Shadow Of Apocalypse or some poo poo.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Honestly, the real take is that Justice League is not a good title.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
"You can't disintegrate the entire planet, Darkside! That would be unjust!"

And like, ok, sure. But, really?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Justice League and The Avengers are extremely stupid names.

It's especially egregious for this particular movie, where the characters aren't really in a justice league, and the movie takes place both before and after the actual justice league gets blown up by aliens.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xealot posted:

There's a very in-the-weeds way that academics have to discuss film, and IMO it becomes incoherent when you're trying to apply that framework to contemporary commercial films made for mass audiences. Like, you can discuss Barbie in the context of postmodern semiotics or relate it to the male gaze in silent Hollywood or to oil portraiture of the early Baroque period, but are those texts Greta Gerwig was engaging with; is that a conversation anyone outside of this very insular film academia world is having or needs to have?

I'm no fan of academia in general, but you're totally misinformed if you think those kids aren't writing about comicbooks and CG blockbusters of whatever. Barbie Movie quotes the Matrix Trilogy constantly. Do you think academics haven't written poo poo about that, or that Gerwig didn't have an idea of the concepts in the Matrix films?

(The actual issues with academia tend to be ideological - e.g. liberal appropriation and depoliticization of leftist concepts. Barbie is, like, laser-targeted at the academic audience.)

The obvious error you're making here is placing certain things "beneath" philosophy, like as if pictures are outside the scope of human understanding once they have little word bubbles incorporated into the composition. You're the guy still saying "it's not supposed to be Shakespeare", as if it's gonna pop their monocles. ("Bwuh?? It's not???")

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
That clickbait headline isn’t accurate at all. I’m not a comics creator, and I’d prefer to smack this nerd the old-fashioned way.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
“I love the characters, I’m not saying I wanted to break them or make them less than they are. But I’m also not going to hand them over like a piece of pure propaganda that said Superman is awesome or that Batman has an unbreakable moral code.”

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I'm beginning to think that Star Wars fans don't actually like Star Wars.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It’s cool to me that Snyder’s like “yeah this is my Star Wars ripoff movie. I made it to resemble Star Wars because it is based on Star Wars,” and now pro reviewers are like “hmm… heads up, consumers; I’m getting some distinct Star Wars vibes here.”

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

well why not posted:

I still don't entirely buy the "it's because china is racist" story, the Fast & Furious movies make a huge amount of money over there, as did Aquaman.

Here's the bigger giveaway: America is racist.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I’m starting to suspect that the R-Rated cut might be very R, in a “will probably make parents extremely unhappy” kind of way.

The weird release would make a degree of sense if they specifically wanted to market this as a ‘safe’ version of their Star Wars movie, for families around the holidays.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Alert for people still thinking to watch Rebel Moon:

The first hour of Child Of Fire: Netflix Cut is dope, but the second half (at basically the exact point that they get into space) is so badly hacked up by the studio that it's literally not even a completed movie. If you pay to watch the whole thing in this state, you are being ripped off.

Without hyperbole, the edits done to Snyder's WB films look tasteful and restrained by comparison. Like, I must begrudgingly admit that Josstice League is a better film overall.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Roth posted:

I still think I just emotionally hate Josstice League more.

I mean, it's a close call - but Whedon had his stupid vision, and actually went in and shot new stuff so that the resulting movie would 'make sense' and 'have a point'. Like, you can break down the numerous specific tiny edits done to maintain continuity due to how much was removed and altered. It's almost a remarkable achievement, even if the result is ugly in more ways than one.

The second half of Netflix Cut is like if Whedon hadn't filmed the new material, and instead just left those spots blank.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jimbot posted:

How would you say it compares to the first half of Magnificent Seven? I've posted about it elsewhere but the recruitment section is functionally identical in both films. One doing menial labor on a farm, the other getting a badass fight and the other just having a quick conversation with before agreeing to join. The heroes visit each of them, have a few words and/or watch a showdown then they join up and don't say anything to each other in the montage leading up to the village. Except in Rebel Moon the film ends but in Magnificent Seven there's another hour left.

I haven't seen Magnificent Seven, but you can easily have a breezy recruitment montage in a movie, or scenes of cool characters just saying "yeah, I'm in". (Widows has a good example). It's about conveying the necessary information in a short amount of time. The Netflix Cut is not doing that, because the information’s just missing.

teagone posted:

Still would've been better than Josstice League, more so if Whedon didn't gently caress with the score or color grading. The aesthetics and tone of Rebel Moon remain untouched despite the butchering it received for the PG13 cut. Through the sheer strength of Snyder's artistic sensibilities, Rebel Moon's Netflix cut ends up being mostly fine imo whereas Josstice League is completely poo poo.

I prefer an bad movie over an unfinished movie. The second half of Netflix Cut plays out like a deleted scenes compilation, or one of those youtube videos where somebody puts a bunch of cutscenes in chronological order and calls it "[Videogame]: The Movie". It's straight-up lost media.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 27, 2023

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Zack Snyder’s Mutant League Football, obviously.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Much as I like Snyder, Gareth Edwards really ate his lunch this time with The Creator. Rebel Moon: Gore Cut will have to be a complete overhaul to come even close.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

YggdrasilTM posted:

I think that resorting on killing and being then tormented by guilt for it is a fine narrative arc for Superman (it can work only once though).

That's not making sense. Why can it only work once?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I will never bury my shame. This is the last time I ever kill a living being. Ever!

*two more Zods appear*

Aw, fiddlesticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Of the more understated parts in BVS is that Clark is trying to be the “apolitical” comicsbook Superman, to some extent - and it makes him fuckin’ miserable.

There’s lots of hate, but it’s not like he doesn’t have plenty of supporters either. He just doesn’t want to be that guy.