Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

I really liked how this is its own thing but also feels like a continuation of some of Man of Steel's score.

The remix of MoS' "First Flight" into a triumphant action theme for the climax is so loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

the movie’s lack of success in this way

[citation needed]

Escobarbarian posted:

the movie was considered a failure

[By who?]

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

I already know I'm going to be just a little disappointed by Rebel Moon because stuff like this and Snyder directing it is making my hype level for it way beyond reasonable lol

I know, I'm gonna have to go into hype isolation for a few months to tone things down. After reading that Vanity Fair article I'm hype as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

josh04 posted:

The biggest issue on Flash visually, shared with JL2017 and WW84, is that the saturation is super high to try and make it look warm and welcoming. It makes things that look normal seem otherworldly and things that look a bit off seem ridiculous.

And things that are really off look like goddamn X-Men Origins Wolverine-level previz/temp effects.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bogus Adventure posted:

Just finished watching MoS (didn't realize it was made 10 years ago), and it's so perfect. I love everything about it. The nods to Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom chronicles, the chitinous/insectoid design of Kryptonian ships, the chemistry between Clark and Lois, and the gravity behind Zod. It's such a human story, and I like how it seems to emphasize that the stoic character Clark puts up as Kal-El is just a facade. It's not who he is. He's Clark, someone who cares and someone who struggles, and Cavill plays him perfectly.

I'm going to watch BvS next, and cap it off with ZSJL.

One of us, one of us

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jimbot posted:

That's the trailer that sold me on the film. I watched it like a dozen times when it came out.

Me too, that trailer is a goddamned masterclass.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

What the hell does “no Superman film has been a complete success save the original” mean

It means someone has an extremely high opinion of Superman And The Mole Men.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Seems peculiar to me to level consumerist critiques at a movie extoling the virtue of letting go of useless possessions and engaging in charity; to call a series an insulting product when it has a throughline -- yes, nostalgia -- that it engages with and resolves (as of that review) in a satisfactory manner.

I was going to write a lot more about this but I'm not going to waste my energy on the William Buckley Jr. of film criticism.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

Kirk Drift is an article I find more relevant with each passing year. Pop culture actively misremembers itself as part of the process of redirecting ideas that are inconvenient to capitalism.

See also, every successive Iron Man appearance throwing away any inconvenient character development from his previous ones. It's not just a phenomenon, it's a policy.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yeah, I remember the Zombie Purity Squad going with "28 Days Later doesn't count, they're merely infected" and not willing to hear any counterclaims about NOTLD, Return, etc., then really blowing their collective stack when Dawn '04 came out. It was very "Not My Superman" of its time.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

Mexican Cartel Instagram Joker was cool. I don’t know why he broke so many nerds’ brains.

Signing this, there's plenty of room in the world for all Jokers.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Only Kindness posted:

I get what's behind it, but first, it's simply a poo poo graphic. (I know it's supposed to be, but, Poe's law.) Second, the "intent", as posted by Ayer himself, was not to have it. So I ask, why was it there? Did he have no say over his own movie, his own character designs?

If reality disagrees with you, clearly reality must be the one in error.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Only Kindness posted:

So you're saying David Ayer has some form of schizophrenia?

He says he actually wanted the Joker we saw in that pic he just posted, but instead ended up with the one we saw in his movie, because he couldn't tell the difference or something?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

They are!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I put on The Two Jakes last night, then got too tired to finish it and watched the last ~50 minutes this morning, did I just commit some great cinematic crime?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Man of 2morrow

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

A functional understanding of genre is media literacy and not the same thing as expecting an encyclopedic dissection of a comic book character's publication history.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Imagine watching the Knightmare and Cyborg's flash forward and going "no thanks, that's quite enough"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Because it’s fun

(This movie might own idk I’m excited for it)

So sick of this grimdark posting

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol snyder going on rogan

https://twitter.com/brndnstrssng/status/1765683637054275667?t=yPIpoeD_1zo6-P4nl9Hh1g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

YggdrasilTM posted:

It's ok, Doomsday actually didn't die.

Doomsday died and resurrected, there's a difference.

Neo Rasa posted:

People will say Superman II is the best Superman movie and Superman and Lois gleefully murder Zod/etc. in that AFTER THEY'VE BEEN REDUCED TO HAVE THE POWER OF JUST REGULAR HUMANS!

I had someone on twitter argue that that was fine because the Donner Cut fixed it when Superman went back in time and undid everything, as if orders of magnitude more people hadn't seen the original version and were just fine with Superman throwing a powerless Zod into a bottomless pit with an actual smile. Comic fans are ill and canon is the disease.