Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Ironically, Gale was the one who convinced Gus to hire Walt because Gale was so impressed with the purity of Walt's product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Gale was meant to be Walt's partner, but Walt didn't want to work with Gale and insisted that Jesse be his partner. Gus begrudgingly agreed because Walt's product was still quite a bit more "pure" than Gale's.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
HE was a nerd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rCvdI0KLdM

Zeluth fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 5, 2023

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

The best episode of breaking bad was the one where he had to keep driving west or else his head would explode

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
doesnt season 1 and 2 have Jesse and the crazy cartel guy make fun of Walt choosing a junk yard for a meeting place? like even saying its like a some white suburb guy that watches crime movies chose it.

e: also I too recently crossed BB off my media bucket list (via plutotv marathon streams). its was a fun ride, but seems a tiny bit hyped up.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 5, 2023

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

PhazonLink posted:

doesnt season 1 and 2 have Jesse and the crazy cartel guy make fun of Walt choosing a junk yard for a meeting place? like even saying its like a some white suburb guy that watches crime movies chose it.

yeah i think tuco says something like, "what did they close the mall or something?" lol

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Saalkin posted:

Noone says that about breaking bad

The first series is pretty slow going, it only really gets entertaining once Gus Fring is introduced.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

pisshead posted:

The first series is pretty slow going, it only really gets entertaining once Gus Fring is introduced.

wrong.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Ironically, Gale was the one who convinced Gus to hire Walt because Gale was so impressed with the purity of Walt's product.

I sorta remember Gale was an Objectivist or at least appreciated Rand's philosophy. That would at least partially explain why, beyond an admiration for his scientific skill, he was so enamored with Walt.

I think Fring planned from the beginning to use Walt to train Gale, then remove his Walt's instability from the situation, after Gale convinced him to bring Walt in. Walt picked up on that pretty quick, hence pushing Gale away.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
I'm pretty sure Walt liked Gale and was impressed by him and his science-coffee setup. He needed to get Jesse involved with the Gus Fring deal to keep him from press charges against Hank or something. I think that's why Gale had to go.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

First time I've seen this account make relevant posts!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Von Pluring posted:

I'm pretty sure Walt liked Gale and was impressed by him and his science-coffee setup. He needed to get Jesse involved with the Gus Fring deal to keep him from press charges against Hank or something. I think that's why Gale had to go.

I remember that he was, at first, then quickly started pushing him away.

E: like, I remember at first Walt was head over heels for this kindred spirit, then within an episode or two he just seemed more annoyed with Gale than anything. Walt was also sort of a miserable bastard who could never be happy or get along with anyone for too long, and I'm sure that didn't help. Also the Jesse thing. Maybe it's many things at once? idk, haven't watched it in a while.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

mysterious frankie posted:

Might be! Yeah, that actually sounds a lot like Walt. It's been long since I saw the show.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i actually did like that bitch

edit: I just finished watching BB for the first time a few weeks ago after 15 years of ignoring the hell out of it. Wasn't disappointed. In all honesty it was such a loving breath of fresh air to watch a show that is both consistent AND ends on the highest note possible.

But I'm half way through Better Call Saul right now and there's one major conceit that bugs me about both shows, and that's how most of the major plot points revolve around very insane things happening very openly in public spaces that contain exactly ZERO bystanders, onlookers, or anyone who could otherwise raise a red flag, or if there ARE people around, they're all deaf, dumb, and blind. When Walt hits that guy the street with his car before they tie him up, he spends a relatively long amount of time wrestling his limp body into the back of his poo poo-rear end Aztek that there's no way SOMEBODY wouldn't see that. Or in BCS, every major pivot point seems to occur on a deserted highway with unlimited visibility in all directions, and not once does someone drive up and interupt something they weren't supposed to see, except in one instance, and it's in exposition. Or in other scenes, like when Walt is watching as Badger tries meeting that guy on the bench, and the DEA is in another car just up the street? And then Walt just frantically rolls up in front of Hank to block their view like he doesn't know Hank is a DEA agent and he might be interupting something important, and Hank still doesn't clue in?? None of this is believable and I'm yelling at the TV every time, but drat it makes for good drama.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 5, 2023

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Also Season 3 Episode 2 of Better Call Saul features a prominent scene with a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix, despite the episode taking place over four days in September of 2002.

This ruined the immersion and brought this show fully into the realm of science fiction for me, unfortunately.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Nah Mike's stuff about his granddaughter is just the same garbage 'muh family' excuses as Walt except at least he's actually good at the job. IMO it was a real low point of BCS when he gives his do it for her speech in the desert and it's presented like you're really meant to believe him.

Also why is a crooked detective turned underworld cleaner now also a master sniper, survivalist, spy, bodyguard, tactician, overseas assassination planner...?

They fell for their own cult of the badass stuff.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I've mentioned this in other threads but the scene where gus gets blowed up and he opens a door and walks out to adjust his tie before it's revealed that he is a skeleton now was not Good Television.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

set it back when he was a new fresh faced young cop, like in his early 20's or something. but no de-aging tech or make up, just current day jonathan banks lol

How do you do fellow-cadets?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Call Your Grandma posted:

I've mentioned this in other threads but the scene where gus gets blowed up and he opens a door and walks out to adjust his tie before it's revealed that he is a skeleton now was not Good Television.

Good episode title though

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I just finished BCS and it is a great show, but it could have been a season or two shorter. Jimmy’s obsession with destroying Howard was crazy, but Kim going along with it just destroyed all believability in the character.

I thought the ending was great, although I don’t think Jimmy was planning on doing the right thing until he heard what Kim had done. Once he heard she came back to spill the beans about Howard I think is when he decided he had one last chance to be a human again and show Kim he’s not a complete monster.

It works out though since everyone in prison loves Jimmy cause he tried to keep every monster out of there lol.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

haljordan posted:

why didn't the guy who owned the car wash ever get like, a second opinion when bill burr told him how polluted his place was?

Probably because it actually was and they lucked into something he was actually guilty of, is the best answer I can pull out of my disappointment of an rear end. The important thing is I tried.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Walter white privilege

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I recently completed my first ever rewatch and I liked it a bit more (which is usually the case for me). I still think it's a bit overhyped* but it certainly is a tight, enthralling, all-killer no-filler 5 seasons of many talented people trying their hardest.

*The overhyping comes from its time frame. It was the first modern and popular show that people could stream at home. It was many people's first bingeing experience. Where we internet people were catching up on big popular shows thru filesharing for years, BB was the first show readily available for all general audiences and casuals. I'm sure the people who viewed it all in real time had a grand experience that my procrastinating rear end could never recapture.

I recently binged BCS. It was very good but I am sort of baffled by the audience that say it's superior to BB.

El Camino was wack and had little to offer. Wow, Todd is a sicko, thanks for that insight that was spelled out 10 different ways 7 years ago.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I just watched both these shows in the past few months too. I think about the scene where Mike takes apart his entire car by hand looking for a tracker a lot, that must've been a pain to film.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

ProperCoochie posted:

*The overhyping comes from its time frame.

It was the first modern and popular show that people could stream at home. It was many people's first bingeing experience. Where we internet people were catching up on big popular shows thru filesharing for years, BB was the first show readily available for all general audiences and casuals. I'm sure the people who viewed it all in real time had a grand experience that my procrastinating rear end could never recapture.

theres certainly is another endless debated topic about todays modern era on which model for episodic things is better as binge bombs or weekly releases

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Call Your Grandma posted:

Yeah I mentioned it too, it’s dumb as poo poo and the the visual effect was terribly done.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I think it was meant to give the viewer the impression that Gus is basically invincible, until you see the other side of him. I'm not sure how else you would give that impression to the audience but still kill him.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Ziv Zulander posted:

The best episode of breaking bad was the one where he had to keep driving west or else his head would explode

I watched it basically fresh about ten years ago, and (not surprisingly) the show starts to get great when Vince Gilligan starts showing up in the credits

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I think everyone on TV is a genius, if they aren't a genius why are they on TV?

I have similar views about having money

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Yeah I mentioned it too, it’s dumb as poo poo and the the visual effect was terribly done.

The empty eye socket was huge and so he’d end up looking like :pwn: pre-explosion.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Hank and Gomey :smith:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

STABASS posted:

skyler couldn't tell the difference between raisin bran and raisin bran crunch and goons STILL defend her

Every great character has a tragic flaw.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

mysterious frankie posted:

E: like, I remember at first Walt was head over heels for this kindred spirit, then within an episode or two he just seemed more annoyed with Gale than anything. Walt was also sort of a miserable bastard who could never be happy or get along with anyone for too long, and I'm sure that didn't help. Also the Jesse thing. Maybe it's many things at once? idk, haven't watched it in a while.

It was because Walter White realized that he was training his replacement.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
In fact Fring was about to kill Walter because he was erratic and not needed anymore but Jesse pulled a last minute Hail Mary and shot poor Gale in the face.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
I was disappointed we never got more backstory on Fring at some point he says something like they can never know what happened in Chile before I came here but it was never expanded on or explained.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

I was disappointed we never got more backstory on Fring at some point he says something like they can never know what happened in Chile before I came here but it was never expanded on or explained.

He was learning to make awesome fish stew

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

In fact Fring was about to kill Walter because he was erratic and not needed anymore but Jesse pulled a last minute Hail Mary and shot poor Gale in the face.

Gale was a libertarian, it's what he would have wanted

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Walter White could have gotten away with it all if he had just made Hank constipated. If he had just given Hank too much fiber and a fatty diet, Walter would never have gotten caught. The best strategy would have been to begin with an appetizer of fried frog legs with remoulade along with some jalapeno devilled eggs with candied bacon, moving onto an entree of spicy shrimp and sausage grits, pone, collard greens, and some coleslaw, then for dessert a butter maple bread pudding with a dollop of ice cream on top, the whole time he should have been sucking down cheap red wine and sazeracs. This would have been guaranteed to make Hank constipated as gently caress, or either give him a poo poo so potent he'd be doubled over on the toilet, too busy concentrating on blast huge wet rear end to bother casually reading a book.
Walter failed not because of hubris, but because he wasn't controlling enough. If he had just managed to influence the making GBS threads habits of the people around him, he would have been fine. It's the most unrealistic part of the book, I'm big into social engineering and the very first thing I do when insinuating myself into a new situation is to start subtly controlling the poop habits of people around me. It's incredible stupid that Walter White overlooked that. Absolutely everybody thinks about and does it and somehow he doesn't.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Private Cumshoe posted:

Gale was a libertarian, it's what he would have wanted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Cat Hassler posted:

Hank and Gomey :smith:

Got what they deserved.