Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Walter White could have gotten away with it all if he had just made Hank constipated. If he had just given Hank too much fiber and a fatty diet, Walter would never have gotten caught. The best strategy would have been to begin with an appetizer of fried frog legs with remoulade along with some jalapeno devilled eggs with candied bacon, moving onto an entree of spicy shrimp and sausage grits, pone, collard greens, and some coleslaw, then for dessert a butter maple bread pudding with a dollop of ice cream on top, the whole time he should have been sucking down cheap red wine and sazeracs. This would have been guaranteed to make Hank constipated as gently caress, or either give him a poo poo so potent he'd be doubled over on the toilet, too busy concentrating on blast huge wet rear end to bother casually reading a book.
Walter failed not because of hubris, but because he wasn't controlling enough. If he had just managed to influence the making GBS threads habits of the people around him, he would have been fine. It's the most unrealistic part of the book, I'm big into social engineering and the very first thing I do when insinuating myself into a new situation is to start subtly controlling the poop habits of people around me. It's incredible stupid that Walter White overlooked that. Absolutely everybody thinks about and does it and somehow he doesn't.

drat lemme at some of them devilled eggs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Walter White could have gotten away with it all if he had just made Hank constipated. If he had just given Hank too much fiber and a fatty diet, Walter would never have gotten caught. The best strategy would have been to begin with an appetizer of fried frog legs with remoulade along with some jalapeno devilled eggs with candied bacon, moving onto an entree of spicy shrimp and sausage grits, pone, collard greens, and some coleslaw, then for dessert a butter maple bread pudding with a dollop of ice cream on top, the whole time he should have been sucking down cheap red wine and sazeracs. This would have been guaranteed to make Hank constipated as gently caress, or either give him a poo poo so potent he'd be doubled over on the toilet, too busy concentrating on blast huge wet rear end to bother casually reading a book.
Walter failed not because of hubris, but because he wasn't controlling enough. If he had just managed to influence the making GBS threads habits of the people around him, he would have been fine. It's the most unrealistic part of the book, I'm big into social engineering and the very first thing I do when insinuating myself into a new situation is to start subtly controlling the poop habits of people around me. It's incredible stupid that Walter White overlooked that. Absolutely everybody thinks about and does it and somehow he doesn't.

gently caress, how did I not think about this???

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

In fact Fring was about to kill Walter because he was erratic and not needed anymore but Jesse pulled a last minute Hail Mary and shot poor Gale in the face.

Yeah it was a great reaction shot from Mike when Walter says Doug's address, 6353 Juan Tabo apt 6

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Coincidence or youtube being their usual creepo data harvester, but anyone else getting tons of Breaking Bad clips in their Shorts feed?

AvesPKS posted:

Yeah it was a great reaction shot from Mike when Walter says Doug's address, 6353 Juan Tabo apt 6

I just saw this exact scene in that feed

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

That's what makes Walt's arc so tragic. Guy's too full of himself to get everyone else to empty themselves.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Mike was smart when had to deal with Jane’s OD

He got rid of all the incriminating paraphernalia but knew you can’t really dust for vomit

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Sell me on Better Call Saul. What makes it so good? I watched some of it and kinda petered out. I actually liked that it's not quite as dark as Breaking Bad cause I didn't wanna watch two misery crime extravaganzas in a row, but it didn't hook me like Breaking Bad did at all. I feel like I should give it another chance though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Elukka posted:

Sell me on Better Call Saul. What makes it so good? I watched some of it and kinda petered out. I actually liked that it's not quite as dark as Breaking Bad cause I didn't wanna watch two misery crime extravaganzas in a row, but it didn't hook me like Breaking Bad did at all. I feel like I should give it another chance though.

I just has much better characters and writing. It definitely goes to some dark places. It definitely doesn't have the great hook of "high school chemistry teacher becomes a meth genius' but it's absolutely the better show.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Cat Hassler posted:

Mike was smart when had to deal with Jane’s OD

He got rid of all the incriminating paraphernalia but knew you can’t really dust for vomit

you'd be shocked at how dusty my vomit is

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder!

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
could go for some pone tonight I have to admit

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Elukka posted:

Its dark but in a different way, less outright hosed up things happen, but Jimmy (Saul)'s story is absolutely brutal in more of a subtly self destructive sad way. It still has some shocking moments but overall its more subtle and intelligent than Breaking Bad. It still takes a minute to get going, but the beginning still has some of the better character dynamics I've seen in a show with the relationship between Jimmy and his hosed up brother. Its really very good.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Better Call Saul is much more of a nuanced, slow burn, character study. It's also very much a film nerd show because of its heavy use of "show, don't tell" storytelling and how it very frequently embellishes in long, drawn out cinematic sequences just for the sake of it. Easily one of the most cinematic shows ever made.

For me though it's hard to say that it's better than Breaking Bad, because the first three seasons do a lot of backpedaling. Like they know we want to see "Saul", but if they get all the way there then the narrative is complete, so you keep getting teased with it. In comparison, Breaking Bad has a constant feel of continually spiraling further out of control. Most of BCS's runtime also feels like two separate (albeit, very good) shows that only truly converge in the final moments. By the fourth season it really began to feel like it was stalling for time, but it more than made up with it in the 5th and 6th season with the introduction of Lalo Salamonca - perhaps the best TV villain of all time.

Basically you may or may not think it's better than Breaking Bad, but if you liked Breaking Bad then yes you should absolutely watch it.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Elukka posted:

It’s a good show and if you don’t like it that’s fine

“Sell me on it” lol. You’re not buying a drat car

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
*slaps hood*

This bad boy can fit so much chicanery in it!!

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Private Cumshoe posted:

could go for some pone tonight I have to admit

hop on cs1.6 or source and open wide n00b

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Breaking bad had some really great performances and it was also directed really well. Also looked very good too that's why i enjoyed it. Don't really need to watch it again though

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I ended up rewatching Breaking Bad and maybe afterwards I'll give BCS another shot. Sounds like it does have a lot of good things about it.

Cat Hassler posted:

It’s a good show and if you don’t like it that’s fine

“Sell me on it” lol. You’re not buying a drat car
I might like it! It's a figure of speech. I just wanted some input on why it's so good since people kept saying it's good.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

So many people saying this

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Von Pluring posted:

I'm pretty sure Walt liked Gale and was impressed by him and his science-coffee setup. He needed to get Jesse involved with the Gus Fring deal to keep him from press charges against Hank or something. I think that's why Gale had to go.

Possibly, but I think the more likely explanation is that Walt NEEDS someone to subjugate. Jesse is a better match for that need than Gale.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Dr.D-O posted:

Possibly, but I think the more likely explanation is that Walt NEEDS someone to subjugate. Jesse is a better match for that need than Gale.

Walt wasn’t the boss at home or at the high school. So yes, he definitely needs someone to subjugate in his new career.

Gale would have happily been Walt’s subordinate, more than Jesse was, but Walt didn’t just want someone he could boss around: he wanted to make someone as miserable as he felt at home and at the school. Gale would have enjoyed the gig too much for it to work for Walt.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Dr.D-O posted:

Yeah, definitely. Jesse was a surrogate son Walt could explore his new self with, and he was one of the first people to see and accept that self. Walt Jr. lived with the gentle and retiring Walt persona since birth and it would have been impossible for Walt to drop that and go full megalomaniac prick at home while still having his family (the show proves as much in the later seasons); Jesse was a young gently caress up looking for a parental figure (or at least could be bullied into accepting that relationship) who existed in a parallel world where Walt could be that person and was expected to be that person, so it was natural Walt would never be able to willingly let Jesse go.

Hatedad
Dec 2, 2020

Walter White could have gotten away with it all if he had just made Hank constipated.

in a gastrocentric reading, Gus’ ownership of Los Pollos Hermanos scales him up in powerlevel exponentially. Not to mention Madrigal’s influence. What a rabbit hole

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Poor Nacho working at the deserted Mexican restaurant (El Michoacaño) :(

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 9, 2023

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Brother Tadger posted:

Poor Nacho working at the deserted Mexican restaurant (El Michoacaño) :(

I did like Hector getting made fun of for his crappy ice restaurant not being as good as Los Pollos lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

His name is Walter Blanco

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I liked that Gus Fring owned fast food joints. He only deals stuff he knows is very bad for you but nigh-irresistible but never tries his own supply.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

N. Senada posted:

I liked that Gus Fring owned fast food joints. He only deals stuff he knows is very bad for you but nigh-irresistible but never tries his own supply.

What did that guy do for fun? I mean besides torturing his 17 yr old dishwasher by slyly suggesting the stainless steel sink wasn’t clean enough until the kid leaves with busted knuckles and shriveled…never mind I think I figured it out.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
The granddaughter /pop pop angle is a fig leaf for Mike's psychopathy and his need to hurt
All the loyalty and principle stuff is to insulate himself into violent confrontations so he can gently caress people up

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Carlos Lantana posted:

The granddaughter /pop pop angle is a fig leaf for Mike's psychopathy and his need to hurt
All the loyalty and principle stuff is to insulate himself into violent confrontations so he can gently caress people up

Mike is such an interesting character because of how people see him. For me, the moment that brought Mike into focus as a character was in Breaking Bad when he told the story about the woman from the domestic violence call and how he regretted not taking action when he knew the next DV call to her house would be to recover her body. For me, the takeaway wasn't "an innocent person died because I didn't trust my gut and intervene," but an affirmation of his warped mindset that the world needs cold, calculating psychopaths like him to eradicate--or, at the very least, exercise total control over--all the unpredictable, maniac psychopaths. Like you said, his principles are rationalizations, not reasons.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Time_pants posted:

Mike is such an interesting character because of how people see him. For me, the moment that brought Mike into focus as a character was in Breaking Bad when he told the story about the woman from the domestic violence call and how he regretted not taking action when he knew the next DV call to her house would be to recover her body. For me, the takeaway wasn't "an innocent person died because I didn't trust my gut and intervene," but an affirmation of his warped mindset that the world needs cold, calculating psychopaths like him to eradicate--or, at the very least, exercise total control over--all the unpredictable, maniac psychopaths. Like you said, his principles are rationalizations, not reasons.

I liked Breaking Bad a lot as an exploration of masculinity and how men justify their pursuit of power. I really like Jesse as the vector through which all this masculinity is explored. Jesse sees the opportunities to become Walt, Tuco, Mike, Gus, and even Hank! But ultimately all of these men are failures tied up in their own performances of masculinity (and exploit Jesse to further their goals). I see Todd as the successful Jesse. The only kind of boy who wins in this kind of world is the one who pushes down his feelings and embraces violence.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I only started watching the show because Bob Odenkirk is one of the celebrities I wanted most to see more of and I was thrilled to see him blow up because of this role.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Hatedad posted:

in a gastrocentric reading, Gus’ ownership of Los Pollos Hermanos scales him up in powerlevel exponentially. Not to mention Madrigal’s influence. What a rabbit hole

Once Walt went into hiding they should have made pink meth and called it Franch. :colbert:

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I never read Mike as a psychopath. I always read him as a guy who is really good at his job and knows how to manage complicated projects with lots of parties involved (i.e., his "guys").

He always reminded me of older co-workers who are tired of their job, but know that if they don't do it as well as they do, everything will fall apart.

Yes, he is violent, but that kind of comes with the territory when you're working security for a drug lord.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Dr.D-O posted:

I never read Mike as a psychopath. I always read him as a guy who is really good at his job and knows how to manage complicated projects with lots of parties involved (i.e., his "guys").

He always reminded me of older co-workers who are tired of their job, but know that if they don't do it as well as they do, everything will fall apart.

Yes, he is violent, but that kind of comes with the territory when you're working security for a drug lord.

I don't think he's a psychopath because some of his behaviours are anathema to psychopathy, but he is extremely stunted emotionally and can switch off or ignore any feelings of empathy or sympathy he might have. Psychopathy Lite maybe? I don't know what you'd call it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That kind of comes with the territory of having a job that desensitizes you. First responders are all pretty capable of switching off their feelings to handle the task at hand. I see it as him just being jaded as gently caress from doing that job for so long.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
That job being a hitman/scummy PI. A job he chose because the pay is good. It's not as though he started out with the best of intentions and the job wore him down over years.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah, but I've had a job that often made me a first- or second- responder to people who had just been through major trauma and it was kind of the same deal there: No matter how gory the details are they don't hit you while you're in the middle of doing your job, because at some point you had to get used to tuning out/emotionally greyrocking yourself or whatever to survive the day to day. Being able to tune out isn't a trait of a psychopath, a psychopath is someone who doesn't tune in.

That doesn't mean Mike is not a psychopath tho which as you're pointing out, you would kind of have to be some degree of psychopathic or have some kind of lack of empathy to get into that line of work

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 17, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think that was one of the cooler things about breaking bad as a series - when it started out a lot of the characters were people who were forced into criminal lifestyles because of a lack of other options, like Jesse's friends. And that kind of crime is a lot easier to sympathize with so you get attached to all these characters and justify their actions because you can see that it's just a source of income to them. But then as the series progresses walt surrounds himself with more and more people who make the deliberate choice to involve themselves in the "game" as it were, people who maybe didn't start out by choice but are as deep as they are now by choice and suddenly Walt is in the big leagues, and the viewer gets the same kind of emotional whiplash that the characters do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

He wrote some great poems OP, such as:

Song of the Open Road
Afoot and light-hearted I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose.

Henceforth I ask not good-fortune, I myself am good-fortune,
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Done with indoor complaints, libraries, querulous criticisms,
Strong and content I travel the open road.

The earth, that is sufficient,
I do not want the constellations any nearer,
I know they are very well where they are,
I know they suffice for those who belong to them.

(Still here I carry my old delicious burdens,
I carry them, men and women, I carry them with me wherever I go,
I swear it is impossible for me to get rid of them,
I am fill’d with them, and I will fill them in return.)

A child said What is the grass? fetching it to me with full hands;
How could I answer the child? I do not know what it is any more than he.
I guess it must be the flag of my disposition, out of hopeful green stuff woven.

Or I guess it is the handkerchief of the Lord,
A scented gift and remembrancer designedly dropt,
Bearing the owner's name someway in the corners, that we may see and remark, and say Whose?

Or I guess the grass is itself a child, the produced babe of the vegetation.

Or I guess it is a uniform hieroglyphic,
And it means, Sprouting alike in broad zones and narrow zones,
Growing among black folks as among white,
Kanuck, Tuckahoe, Congressman, Cuff, I give them the same, I receive them the same.

And now it seems to me the beautiful uncut hair of graves.

Tenderly will I use you curling grass,
It may be you transpire from the breasts of young men,
It may be you are from old people, or from offspring taken,
It may be if I had known them I would have loved them, soon out of their mothers' laps,
And here you are the mothers' laps.

This grass is very dark to be from the white heads of old mothers,
Darker than the colorless beards of old men,
Dark to come from under the faint red roofs of mouths.

O I perceive after all so many uttering tongues,
And I perceive they do not come from the roofs of mouths for nothing.

I wish I could translate the hints about the dead young men and women,
And the hints about old men and mothers, and the offspring taken soon out of their laps.
What do you think has become of the young and old men?
And what do you think has become of the women and children?

They are alive and well somewhere,
The smallest sprout shows there is really no death,
And if ever there was it led forward life, and does not wait at the end to arrest it,
And ceas'd the moment life appear'd.

All goes onward and outward, nothing collapses,
And to die is different from what any one supposed, and luckier.