Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
This month's theme is negative space

Here's a better link thanks to user nielsm - https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography/discover/negative-space-photography.html

Here is a link because I can't explain it well:
https://thevirtualinstructor.com/po...gative%20space.

RULES:
This thread is for posting pics & voting.
1. One submission/poster. You can change your submission as many times as you want, so long as you only have one entry when the voting begins. Edit your post to do this, please.
2. Single photos only - no video, triptychs, or multi-photo entries. Blending exposures into a single image (such as focus stacking, or HDR), is ok though.
3. Photos must be taken during the period of the contest. No pulling out old favorites!
4. Contest will be open until (at least) the last day of the month at 11:59 p.m. GMT after which voting will begin.
5. Voting will continue until some time after that, probably the 2nd or 3rd.
6. Use good judgment/good taste if venturing into NSFW or potentially offensive territory. PM me or a mod if you have questions.
7. When voting, please use the spoiler tag.
8. In the event of a tie the OP of the thread selects the winner.
9. One vote per user :)

huhu fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Gyuto Red-tailed hawk-8797 on Flickr

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Ukraine Benefit03.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 1, 2023

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Some excellent photos this month

Here's some garbage

Hiking up a mountain next week so I might get something else in before voting starts

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
It's not garbage! Great work

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kangra
May 7, 2012

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
It’s June, get to voting

voice of laborrrrr

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Viginti Septem posted:

It's not garbage! Great work
thanks postin' pal

a vote: Viginti Septem

so many good ones :negative:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

voting septem but ploots again just nailed the theme

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
This is a tough one, I'm going to have to do some thinking. Lots of great options this month.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

e-Sata

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
hail esata-n

Viginti Septem posted:

Lots of great options this month.

indeed

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
tough month to pick a winner burexas.irom

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Okay official vote for e-SATA-n

However, I have some comments :sun:

burexas.irom
This is a great photo all around, I love fire/night shots.

BetterLekNextTime
What an incredibly timed shot! I love the rain. This deserves serious props.

Cacator
:( I'm a bird person, this makes me sad. I get the artistry though, props!

The Voice of Labor
What in the world is this? Bugs? You took this so literally you created a new category lol

Helen Highwater
This is such a moody photo and I love it. I really miss doing band photography sometimes. Great work!

maxe
I love the duo-tone. Silhouettes are a favorite of mine. I hope those were path marker tapes and not crime scene...

ploots
This is a beautiful photo with my favorite colors. Gorgeous sky, nice silhouette, two subject dock/ducks. Brilliant overall.

nitsuga
Not many people take shots like this! I love looking up and capturing lights and poles.

Megabound
You were a contender for my vote. This is a moody shot and I'd love to know the story going on here. Great photo.

toalpaz
I would really like to know the story here too.

Nigel Tufnel
One of the contenders for my vote. This is an incredible composition. Could have passed for the Hard Light category too. Very contrasty and, geometric, and minimalistic. As someone who invests a lot of time in composition and straightening my hat is off to you here.

tompepper
I saw this photo in another thread and love it. I remember calling it shoefitti, which is a reference to a L'enterloup song (french raggae/EDM band). Film + silhouette + shoefitti + birds + street photography = you were one of my top choices. Mad props here.

xzzy
This is breathtaking, and I think you know it. The use of the full tonal range is great even though the mid-greys may look at first like they occupy too much space, I think it actually adds to overall feels of the hazy atmosphere that existed in the scene. This is giving me very strong Ansel Adams vibes and you deserve many kudos here.

Kangra
I love the colors! I love the setting and the mood. This is a great photo. I'm curious what it would have looked like with a tad more beach in the bottom-right of frame because that tan color of the beach is so gorgeous contrasting with the green of the water. I get that you're probably trying to set the feeling of the photo that the water is vast with having the beach/subjects very minimal but I think that could have told the same story with just a tad more. Watch those lens spots! Great photo.

Hail eSATA-n
Gotta keep those negative words at bay, friend! One man's garbage, yadda yadda. For me, what makes this a great shot is that my mind, for whatever reason, has a hard time deciding if that is sky or water behind the tree. Those ripply clouds directly to the right of the tree almost give the impression of water waves. I know it should be sky because... clouds. But... what if it's water WAY off in the distance and that's smoke or steam or something. If it was water that would be a helluva perspective shift to get the tree like that. And it just makes me spend more time trying to dissect it. More time looking at a photo = more win. Now on to the substance: The lone tree left standing in the midst of all the destruction. The three simple colors, green tree, blue sky, brown logs. Three colors plays very strongly in photos. Compositionally the sky is larger than the destruction giving the feel of hope. This gets my vote.

Viginti Septem fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 2, 2023

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

HAIL eSATA-n. also, thank you The Voice of Labor for a sensible chuckle

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the pun's actually kind of unintentional. doing connect the dots on constellations was the best example of negative space I could think of and photograph without expending effort or time. I inverted the image because it made the stars pop better

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

The Voice of Labor posted:

the pun's actually kind of unintentional. doing connect the dots on constellations was the best example of negative space I could think of and photograph without expending effort or time. I inverted the image because it made the stars pop better

lol oh shite

I had that same idea 😂 it didn't even cross my mind that you had done it

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

tompepper

Kangra
May 7, 2012

This is a good crop of photos. Voting Viginti Septem.

And yeah, I really need to clean that lens.

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
based solely on which photo i stared at the longest, ploots

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nigel Tufnel

Really spoiled for choice though. I had to do some real a/b testing in my head to pick one.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
PLOOts because idk I like how the beautiful reflection makes the silhouette pop and it's kind of on point

Viginti Septem posted:

toalpaz
I would really like to know the story here too.

:shobon: just walking around Harvard on vacation doing street stuff, saw mysterious roof woman and took a shot. She's quite a character.

Im really fond of Nigel Tufnel's also.

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

Nigel Tufnel

EDIT: oh and thank you for the kind words Viginti :)

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I’ll give it a few more hours and call a winner

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Congrats HAIL eSATA-n! Take us away with a new thread.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

huhu posted:

Congrats HAIL eSATA-n! Take us away with a new thread.

:toot: Cangrats eSATA-n!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

that was unexpected. new thread is up :buddy: