Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I really really miss playing Maplestory. I’ve had so many good memories playing that. I don’t think goons play it anymore. It was kind of hard to love until the Big Bang update, then they revamped it to where it didn’t take a literal month to get to level 50. Then it really sunk its claws into me. Are there any guilds or whatever that are still playing? I wanna play it again but I feel weird playing as a 30 year old dude and not when I was 17. But maybe if there’s some other crusty old dudes playing it I’d jump in.

I’m doing phone posting right now but pretend I posted the orange capped mushroom gif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008
No, they are all too busy playing Gunbound.

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

oh poo poo I forgot to feed my neopets

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

i dont have any idea what it even is, op, sorry but good luck finding soeone to game with

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

everyone is playing stardoodoo valley

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

No op

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Vakal posted:

Holy poo poo! I used to play this back in 2003 (with my UT clan lol) and completely forgot the name.

Your post just jogged my memory, can't believe it's still around.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

too busy taking care of my tamagotchi

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Vakal posted:

Nowher posted:

Holy poo poo! I used to play this back in 2003 (with my UT clan lol) and completely forgot the name.

Your post just jogged my memory, can't believe it's still around.

Hell yeah gunbound rocked, I still miss it

Boomer main here. Saying that in 2023 sounds a lot weirder than it used to

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Devils Affricate posted:

Hell yeah gunbound rocked, I still miss it

Boomer main here. Saying that in 2023 sounds a lot weirder than it used to

Seems like it's been turned into another Mobile micro-transactions trashfire.

Yesterdays Latte
Nov 14, 2021
I think MS ended up getting progressively shittier until everyone left, but I don't know the whole story. I think a guy here on SA might have been the only sysadmin for Nexon, because his av and custom title said to ask him about being the only sysadmin for Nexon. Maybe ask him. I know I quit because they released one or two classes that were so busted that they could basically do everything better than the classes dedicated to that thing, and could kill the toughest boss in the game in ten seconds. I know that MapleStory 2 died before its predecessor did, which is hilarious.

There's a couple of other Nexon properties still shambling along, with Steam clients, even (like Mabinogi, did anyone play that?). It looks like they recently had a dev team for a shelved game quit and then try to go make something like said game, only for Nexon to send them a cease-and-desist. I didn't read too deep though.

They poo poo up RuneScape by making it play like every other MMO and adding a bunch of microtransactions. Some dude at Jagex found an old copy of the server data in a desk and made it into an official oldschool server, and it's now 5x as popular as the current version of the game (and they're even adding content to it now). It's pretty neat. Good to have up chopping trees or whatever while you're watching YouTube.

Neopets got bought out by JumpStart and is pushing NFTs now. Also for some reason they deleted the incredibly complicated Neoboards wordfilter shortly after acquisition and tried to replace it with a way shittier one; the result was basically GBS. The Imgur apocalypse has killed a lot of images but I remember a yellow otter being named "EAT_MY_ENTIRE_ASS" too. Is Flight Rising still kicking around? Go play that instead of Neopets.

I have no other place to put this information and now it is here in this thread. You are welcome.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
EverQuest

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I looked at the Maplestory reddit recently out of curiosity and some team just got a world first boss kill in the last month or two. The fight took them, if I remember right, a couple of hours, which was much faster than the ~12 hours everyone predicted to kill the boss.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Nowher posted:

Seems like it's been turned into another Mobile micro-transactions trashfire.

Yeah I think Nexon got their mitts on it and made it into a pay-to-win poo poo heap. Honestly makes me tempted to try creating a spiritual successor in Unity or something.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
You can still play final fantasy xi, op

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

You can still play final fantasy xi, op

It's really, incredibly good these days. The later updates toward the end of its life turned it into a sort of museum to FFXI and oldschool MMOs in general, adding tons of quality of life features that facilitate getting around and performing different activities. Very much recommended if you ever played it at all in the past

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I got almost every single job to level 99 within 1-2 months. The first one takes a week or two but after that you start getting so many ways to stack +exp% and NPC companions and stuff you can solo level a job from 1-99 in a couple hours.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
poo poo someone already said runescape

Second Life?

Shuu
Aug 19, 2005

Wow!
Bring back the alligator party quest.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

a museum to people who dont value the time given to them on this earf

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

a museum to people who dont value the time given to them on this earf

Posting on something awful dot com forums

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

Is that like Gaia online?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Never heard of it op

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Now, it is the beginning of a fantastic story! Let us make a journey to the cave of monsters! Good luck!

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Mes4rz plox

lol

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Pixel junk

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

i actually played no-poo poo EverQuest retail on one of the 'classic progression' servers that opened up last summer and it held up surprisingly well. They took most of the annoying things out from classic like losing xp and loot on death and added lots of other QoL things from the modern client. I got into an awesome xp group in Unrest which played for 9 hours straight and felt absolutely disgusted with myself!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Yesterdays Latte posted:

I have no other place to put this information and now it is here in this thread. You are welcome.

Yikes that really sucks. Steam still gives me news about maplestory and it’s funny that almost 15 years later there’s still “unscheduled maintenance”. I guess I don’t mind OP classes, just as long as most of the others aren’t severely underpowered. But sad nonetheless.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I only play single player games because I'm too scared to talk to people over the internet

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

I only play the beta version of Star Wars Galaxies

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I played ragnarok online on a little private server back in those days, it was the poo poo

and holy poo poo I definitely played gunbound a bit, the name didn't ring a bell but as soon as I saw a screenshot I was like "fuckin' hell I remember that"

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

finishing up another playthrough of deus ex. i think this time ill blow up area 51.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Eouche ex

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I miss FreeRealms.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Revins posted:

I played ragnarok online on a little private server back in those days, it was the poo poo

and holy poo poo I definitely played gunbound a bit, the name didn't ring a bell but as soon as I saw a screenshot I was like "fuckin' hell I remember that"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDIjeMm0KIY

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Maplestory announced a week ago that they're getting rid of Jett, the GMS-exclusive class that was known mostly for being a buggy mess that had one glorious moment when they forgot to give her screen-wide kill move a cooldown. Despite this it turns out people actually really like Jett and the compensation for their removal isn't nearly enough to make up for it so there's been a lot of doomsaying about how this means every other content that didn't originate from the original Korean game is going to get cut eventually. They already removed or nerfed several classes and questlines so it's not totally out of the question. Also it might gently caress up the perma-beginner "rankings" because if you don't convert your Jett to anything they'll just turn it into a Beginner, so lmao.

I tried to play again last month because I like the Pink Bean event class, but I got hit with a long unskippable cutscene that was exactly the same as it was last year, and as soon as I got out of it the servers went down for emergency maintenance. When I went to go read up on what I'd missed players were yelling about something else that had just been removed (transposing? it was minmaxing poo poo I've never done) so I figured that was a divine warning not to come back.

I went back to Mabinogi for a while too but quit after I rebirthed into a child so I could get the bear-killer title and someone started creeping on how "cute" I was. I think I might've lost my username in the server merge too so now I'm even less motivated to go back. Nexown'd again

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 6, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

dsf posted:

i actually played no-poo poo EverQuest retail on one of the 'classic progression' servers that opened up last summer and it held up surprisingly well. They took most of the annoying things out from classic like losing xp and loot on death and added lots of other QoL things from the modern client. I got into an awesome xp group in Unrest which played for 9 hours straight and felt absolutely disgusted with myself!

Is it in any way playable as a solo character? I played the original so long ago, and I would always hit a wall where anything I could kill wouldn't give xp but anything that did give xp would annihilate me if I wasn't in a group :\

I like to exist in a world with other people, I just don't want to interact with them.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Kirk Johnson: Gaplestory

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Private Cumshoe posted:

Kirk Johnson: Gaplestory

the only gaping hole kirk is involved with now is a grave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I was too busy infesting my family's computer with all kinds of malware downloading Gunz : The Duel private servers