Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Zeluth posted:

Say no to techno. :slick:

One of my most abrasive (and probably baseless, admittedly) music opinions is that Techno, like Detroit Techno-rear end Techno, is Bad Music, and anyone who enjoys it is either on too much speed, or they don't actually like electronic music and their enjoyment is performative.

It's just so impossibly boring. I realize that it's an incredibly wide and varied genre and there are definitely exceptional tunes that I enjoy (usually ones that make use of rhythmic syncopation) but I cannot understand why people enjoy being pummelled by quarter note kicks soaked in reverb and the VERY occasional lowpassed synth stab.

It's also the only genre I've danced to that seems to be rife with DJs who have no respect for musical phrasing. As I grew up playing drums, that kind of stuff is my bread & butter, and hearing DJs not only trainwreck left and right but introduce new songs off-measure (off by an odd number of bars or even BEATS), just drives me crazy. I feel like Techno DJs are mostly just in it for the ego stroking and don't care to hone their craft, but maybe I've just seen some lovely Techno DJs.

I don't really go public with this take too often - let people enjoy what they like and that - but privately, for the life of me I cannot see what interests so many people in the genre. Give me actual rhythms, and respect the loving formula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Mister Speaker posted:

One of my most abrasive (and probably baseless, admittedly) music opinions is that Techno, like Detroit Techno-rear end Techno, is Bad Music, and anyone who enjoys it is either on too much speed, or they don't actually like electronic music and their enjoyment is performative.

It's just so impossibly boring. I realize that it's an incredibly wide and varied genre and there are definitely exceptional tunes that I enjoy (usually ones that make use of rhythmic syncopation) but I cannot understand why people enjoy being pummelled by quarter note kicks soaked in reverb and the VERY occasional lowpassed synth stab.

It's also the only genre I've danced to that seems to be rife with DJs who have no respect for musical phrasing. As I grew up playing drums, that kind of stuff is my bread & butter, and hearing DJs not only trainwreck left and right but introduce new songs off-measure (off by an odd number of bars or even BEATS), just drives me crazy. I feel like Techno DJs are mostly just in it for the ego stroking and don't care to hone their craft, but maybe I've just seen some lovely Techno DJs.

I don't really go public with this take too often - let people enjoy what they like and that - but privately, for the life of me I cannot see what interests so many people in the genre. Give me actual rhythms, and respect the loving formula.

Nah, a lot of the early techno was pretty bad. It was fun though and that was the allure of it. A huge amount of stuff released from the late 80's to early 90's would be unlistenable if it were introduced today. That same goes for a lot of Drum and Bass, repetitive schlock but I still like a fair amount of it.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I was being facetious. There is a time on oneself's life to experience one form of techno or another. Grooving with it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Having said that, if I ever come into a bunch of money again the first thing I'm buying is an Erica Synths Techno System. That's (hopefully) the closest I'll ever get to modular; something else that I do not understand or care for much but the System looks and sounds like I could make some dope Dub with it.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm8cDP6ddCg

Dubstep

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

I smoked weed with Kill The Noise. Cool dude.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Mister Speaker posted:

I don't really go public with this take too often

One time too often at least

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Windows 98 posted:

I smoked weed with Kill The Noise. Cool dude.

Yeah he seems that way. There are a couple of real gems in the scene, so odd for how bro-ey the music and scene normally are, guys like KTN, Getter and Excision sure do dress like Dubstep DJs but they're actually incredibly talented and introspective and just... Real.

I smoked a cigarette with two of the guys from Noisia. I've had beers with Dub Phizix, one of the guys from Loadstar, Bladerunner (after opening for him) and Rene Lavice. I was gonna ask MC Det to get a photo as I opened for him and Brockie on my birthday, but he was a total diva so I didn't approach him.

This is a big tangent but it was on my mind today as another banal encounter with a famous musician: I almost stepped on Kardinal Offishall's shoes at a Sister Nancy concert.

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

"Either way, it's going to hurt like crazy."
https://soundcloud.com/prettysweet2/miss-you-remix
the less seriously i take this drop the more i like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

idk if anyone knows who they are since it seems they stopped making music together four or five years ago but i smoked weed with the dudes from Savoy a couple times. they gave us free merch things too, i wish i knew where that shirt was

anyway heres a different track i like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eoy3rJZS2I