Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the best search engine of all time
Kagi
Google
Bing up your rear end
Yahoo
duck duck goose
Dogpile
Excite
HotBot
Lycos
Metacrawler
Startpage
One of those non-American ones
Ask Jeeves
Shodan
Running my own Solr instance on the optiplex with a bunch of hard drives attached
that google appliance that I had in the lan room for fifteen years
lexis nexis
View Results

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

interesting. not that sure it is even a bad idea, presumably there's some bing search or so at the bottom of it (as building the whole thing is likely impossible), but probably there's a bunch of manual curating you could layer on top if you're actually making money off your customers being satisfied (as opposed to e.g. in practice making more money from the user searching again and again as they're presented with crap).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mediaphage posted:

how does it compare to duckduckgo

underpinned by bing, does not mine your searches, and has the bangs. so it is worst-case equivalent.

e: lacks duckassist though, so if you want your searches shipped to openai without hassle probably better to stick to ddg

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 11:49 on May 11, 2023

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, i'm trying it out too but i don't see any way i can motivate what it'd cost

the fact that i am running the numbers should reveal that i like it a lot though

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

kagi is a real clear showcase that bing can be cleaned up to be useful, but bing itself remains pretty garbage.

being able to banish a site from results is a killer feature, downright tempting to set up a cheaper alternative stealing just the ddg bangs and that banish feature.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

there's in general a fair few ad-funded services i'd rather pay for. if, notably, i could then also get them from companies not entirely captured by the ad business either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i paid up $5 for the 300 searches. i am 99% sure that it used to be 100, which is rather too little, i think 300 will be enough for me though.