Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

My dad took me to see cicadas in chicago in 1990. He took me to the beach and taught me how to swim. He picked me up at the schoolbus stop whenever he could -- he literally picked me up and gave me smooches.

I think good dads are a-ok. If you post in here about bad dads, I'll not tolerate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
This thread is gonna be shorter than my dad’s temper.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
My dad was pretty drat good, ain't gonna lie.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
I won't post about my bad dad.

I have a couple good memories of the dood.

I remember my dad patted me on the head, for being the one that won a soccer game. But he had a thick rear end ring on, and it kinda hurt, lol.
and when I came out of Navy boot camp, he said he was proud of me, I think it was the first time I heard him say that. Then we did whiskey shots before he took me back to camp.

But, I'm happy y'all had some rad dads. Little jealous. But it's okay :cheers:

Let's hear some more rad dad stories!

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 9, 2023

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

my dad died when i was 19 and i find myself running into situations more frequently now where i'm like "yeah i bet dad would have been able to teach/warn/prepare me about that one" and realizing that i didn't just lose my dad at 19 i lost my dad from 19 onwards, too

probably would've been good if he stuck around

don't use tobacco kids!

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

my dad taught me how to type on a typewriter because he worked for a magazine and the editors used typewriters even though computers were clearly ascendant.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

dad dead so what

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Smugworth posted:

dad dead so what

don't ruin the vibe smugworth. don't do it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Dads main purpose in life is to provide rent money imo

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Chief McHeath posted:

my dad died when i was 19 and i find myself running into situations more frequently now where i'm like "yeah i bet dad would have been able to teach/warn/prepare me about that one" and realizing that i didn't just lose my dad at 19 i lost my dad from 19 onwards, too

probably would've been good if he stuck around

don't use tobacco kids!

Sucks dude. He probably would of been a rad dad. Sorry, bro :gbsmith:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

My dad was a loving dad with a smart rear end sharp sense of humor and an extensive knowledge of most things. He was also an encyclopedia of song and loved to have a guitar in his lap to perform and sing for anyone. I took up music (for a good while) because of him. We did so much stuff together.

I miss him and think of him daily.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

You Are A Elf posted:

My dad was a loving dad with a smart rear end sharp sense of humor and an extensive knowledge of most things. He was also an encyclopedia of song and loved to have a guitar in his lap to perform and sing for anyone. I took up music (for a good while) because of him. We did so much stuff together.

I miss him and think of him daily.

That's a rad dad. Sorry for your loss, but I'm glad you had the time with him that you did.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Buce posted:

My dad took me to see cicadas in chicago in 1990. He took me to the beach and taught me how to swim. He picked me up at the schoolbus stop whenever he could -- he literally picked me up and gave me smooches.

I think good dads are a-ok. If you post in here about bad dads, I'll not tolerate it.

Tell us more about your dad.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
OP you had to travel somewhere to see Cicadas? They werent a constant droning menace interrupting your summer?

What a wonderful place you live in.

cicadas are cool as hell.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

dead dads can still be cool dads i guess so cool dad stories

one time about 8 years old my best friend and i were riding our bikes around the track around the high school football field we lived by and some jogging guy was like "get outta my way or i'll break those bikes" so we told my dad (he was jogging too) and he told us to go stand 20 feet or so away and sure enough when jogging guy passed by all 6'4" of my dad let out this bellowing "HEY rear end in a top hat" at jogging guy, stopped him dead in his tracks of course. my dad proceeded to have a very short talk with jogging guy, he rarely, rarely, rarely swore, but i have to imagine he did then, and jogging guy came to apologize to us and we never saw him again

at his funeral a work associate i'd never met (and i did meet many) told me a story about a return flight from somewhere that absolutely had to get someone(s) on board last minute and the airline was offering cash to passengers to give up their seat. the offer started modestly enough, but no one was budging and the dollar amount climbed to $1500 which the internet tells me is about $3000 today so the associate was urging my dad to take the offer, to which my dad replied "nope, my son has a ballgame tonight." i never went without but i know that $1500 would have been very, very useful to our family, and that would have been one of fifty or sixty baseball games that summer. but the old man knew baseball was important to me, so it was important to him, and he was going to be there

Chief McHeath fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 9, 2023

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

blight rhino posted:

Tell us more about your dad.

he took me to a john prine concert, and because he knew the cops providing security, I got to go back stage and shake prine's hand. it owned.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

ZeusCannon posted:

OP you had to travel somewhere to see Cicadas? They werent a constant droning menace interrupting your summer?

What a wonderful place you live in.

cicadas are cool as hell.

north america has periodic cicadas. they only pop out after many years and then they fuckin die.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

My dad was a great dad. He was a terrible husband (not in the cheating or mean way) and a terrible businessman but drat he was one hell of a dad. I miss him so much, he died in 2010 just a couple weeks short of his 90th birthday.

He LOVED baseball. Words cannot describe how much he loved baseball. He played town team ball after WW2, when he returned from the war he bought a matching first base and catcher’s mitt. He, then I, took good care of them, both were still playable when he passed. The morning of his funeral, my sons and I played catch with his gloves, then put them in his casket with the ball. I don’t know if there’s anything after here but if there is, he’ll be drat well ready to play ball there.

God dammit now I’m sad.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

He LOVED baseball. Words cannot describe how much he loved baseball. He played town team ball after WW2, when he returned from the war he bought a matching first base and catcher’s mitt. He, then I, took good care of them, both were still playable when he passed. The morning of his funeral, my sons and I played catch with his gloves, then put them in his casket with the ball. I don’t know if there’s anything after here but if there is, he’ll be drat well ready to play ball there.

God dammit now I’m sad.

My dad freaking LOVED The Beatles. He relished their music into his mind and soul. It was their music that he sang the most and always had their music playing. For his viewing, my mom and I decided it was best that we put him in a nice Beatles shirt instead of a suit because the man never wore a suit in my lifetime, only opting for basic dress up in a nice western shirt, jeans, and boots. He HATED suits and would have probably come back to haunt us if we put him in one, so we dressed him in a nice black Beatles shirt. We didn’t give a poo poo if anyone at the viewing thought it was tacky because it’s what HE would have wanted, but everyone knew and thought it was a great sendoff.

We asked that he be cremated in it, and he was :unsmith:

blight rhino posted:

That's a rad dad. Sorry for your loss, but I'm glad you had the time with him that you did.

Thank you :)

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Rad dads, one and all. Good stories.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

My dad was born on the east side of Detroit as 1 of 8 kids in a poor-rear end family and his Dad was an alcoholic and smoker who died at 55 on his third heart attack. Two of his brothers died before I was even born and one was in prison for 10 years for participating in a robbery where some guy got hit in the head with a pipe and became a vegetable. Kind of the typical 1970s Detroit black experience.

When I was growing up my dad forced us into an austere lifestyle unnecessarily because that's how he grew up - eating red beans and rice every day. It sucked.

He's a lot more lighthearted now but he still only knows how to grind and work because struggling is permanently baked into his brain. I try to tell him to just stop working constantly and just take time to enjoy life's simple pleasures but he's like someone who went through a war and can't throw things away now. I guess that's why I'm the way I am now, mostly just focused on hedonism. He still has had a lot of good advice for me over the years but he's always been worried about me because I'm not constantly doing things as cheaply as humanly possible and living a monastic lifestyle.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I am in many ways my dad's son

here in Colorado there's a 5k run called the Turkey Trot and we started at the back of the race. My dad dressed as a full on turkey and ran ahead, and then my best friend and I were dressed as pilgrims and ran after him in homemade pilgrim outfits, including cardboard rifles with those large horn tips

I was working on art on tiny easels and I came back to the table i was at to see my dad had used one to write "[floodixor] is a loser" and also did that on my bathroom wall when the house was getting painted

he constantly gets weird with it with christmas wrapping, ALWAYS involving a taxidermied deer hoof in some capacity. It's reassuring to see it every christmas poking out of a present

he's the funniest guy I know and he and I will spend lots of time laughing about the dumbest poo poo while my mom is patient

he raised me on movies like Airplane etc so that's a large part of our shared humor

he also raised me and my twin and my twin has special needs and he's been a champ. But I keep thinking of the absurd, dumb, and funny stuff that he was always willing to pitch in on without a second thought.

bonus AA stuff: a few years ago I was doing my 4th step and realized that I didn't have a single resentment against my dad, and that's the truth. He and I still play chess when I go visit, and I caught him watching a chess match online as well as found his copy of "chess for dummies". He's just a rad dad and I don't want him to ever die even though I know he will one day.

edit: I'm forgetting a ton of dumb, silly projects that I made that he was totally game for and it's driving me up the wall, but this thread just came out of nowhere and I wanted to post in it because posting feels good

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
My dad taught me to ride a horse and clean revolvers, that was pretty cool. He did get drunk as gently caress and shoot a gun, spooked the horse I was on, and I almost got trampled to death as a result.

Lol. He missed summer visitation one year cuz he was in jail for another DUI, last time I saw him he made my mom cry.

As far as I know he's still out there in South Dakota, probably living off the grid

Treecko fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 9, 2023

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
My dad is loving great I really hope I can live up to the example he set for me for my own son

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
I remember another story about my dad. It was halloween, like when I was ten. He built like a monster face that I sat inside with my arms hanging out of the face all dead like. So the kids would come up to get candy and I'd go all nuts and yell and scream. I think he was sitting on the porch dressed as a scarecrow. we had an rear end ton of dry ice.

so that was pretty cool of him. halloween was always a thing for us.

it sounds like a lot of goons got their humor tendencies from their dad. I can relate to that, too.
wonder why that might be

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 9, 2023

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

I like these heartwarming dad stories.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

My dad's dad (aka my grandfather, duh) was an alcoholic. His father's cruelty was so bad that my dad still can't think too hard about it. He just compartmentalizes it and keeps moving forward.

As a result, my dad is a bit emotionally stunted and stuck as a goofy teenager. It loving rocks. He's responsible for my sense of humor and for learning how to dive into a new hobby. He wanted to give me all the best parts of his childhood with none of the bad. He just wanted his kids to have the best possible lives he could provide.

My dad used to build dioramas and models as a kid. They honestly looked incredible. He always said that he wanted to be one of the guys in Hollywood building the special effects for movies, but computers took over. It always bummed me out that he didn't try to find a way to adapt and embrace his creativity. Instead, he tried to be a machinist like his dad but the market tanked and he couldn't get a job. So, he worked at hardware stores and random shops until he ended up fixing copier machines

It sounds silly, but he's drat good at it. I'm always impressed by how his mechanical mind works. He liked to show me how the machines worked and how to fix them. One day, there was a deal on a high quality color copier. So my dad bought it and stuck it in our basement. He tore that thing apart and had me hold the light or pass wrenches for him while he fixed it. It was one of those classic dad moments that usually revolves around a car. But no, not me. I learned to fix copiers.

I know about fuser rollers and development drums. I know about cyan and magenta. I know about cheap poo poo plastic gears and why alcohol shouldn't be used on rubber. I know the smell of the "don't get it in your eyes or mouth" chemicals and the sweet aroma of freshly fused toner on high quality 80lb high gloss. I can now spot Kinkos prints out in the wild bc of how uniquely broken each branch's machines are, leaving streaks and stains on cheap prints.

Aside from copiers, he would always take over my brother and I's school projects. pinewood derby cars barely touched our fingers bc he would have a plan cooked up months prior. One of "my" cars was this cheese wedge with holes in it like a block of swiss. At the back was a cockpit with a little fake mouse at the helm. My dad took some wire and tinted plastic to give him racing goggles and a helmet. It looked loving rad and it dominated the gently caress out of all the other cub scouts. He had that poo poo perfectly tuned, weighted, and rules lawyered to the point where he was doing questionably acceptable poo poo. He won those trophies. Full stop. And he loving deserved em.

He loved making that poo poo and he showed me how to do it, too. I learned how to woodwork and stain. He showed me how to be patient with a jig saw to cut perfect profiles out of planks. He showed me how to hide the heads of screws and how to be handy around the house, too. When he finished our basement, i helped frame it, run wire, and put up drywall. I was probably in middle school at the time.

In my career, i sometimes work with my hands and constantly design poo poo. He made it so much fun to invent things and create something from nothing that i had to find a way to do it every day of my life. I used to say that when i grew up, i wanted to be a fixer guy like my dad. Or maybe an inventor guy. Regardless, i just wanted to be like my dad. A good man sharing the best parts of his life with all the people he cares about. A man that wants to manifest into reality his best thoughts so he can share them with others.

I think I'll call him tomorrow.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Buce posted:

north america has periodic cicadas. they only pop out after many years and then they fuckin die.
Well we have annual and periodic, but yeah, 1990 in the Chicago area was a cicada Armageddon. There were a lot of them in my town, but we went and visited my cousins in Elk Grove Village, and it was legitimately difficult to walk without stepping on them.

My dad is great, btw. He used to wake us up for school, but we knew he'd be lying in wait with a nerf gun (his go to was the bow and arrow), so we had to come out of our bedroom armed, and fight our way downstairs.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
lol my dad threatened my mom, he would kill me and himself, if she didn't pay my half-brother child support payments for him. It worked and I think there is something seriously wrong with me, because could never find the strength to be a manipulative narcissistic rear end in a top hat like him.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
lmao i actually posted that, can someone probe me for like a month? tia

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
My dad is p cool.

Getting a bit right wing in his old age, but that happens.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Rad dads

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I had half his ability the to stay calm and not be frustrated in stressful scenarios

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Spaghett posted:

My dad's dad (aka my grandfather, duh) was an alcoholic. His father's cruelty was so bad that my dad still can't think too hard about it. He just compartmentalizes it and keeps moving forward.

As a result, my dad is a bit emotionally stunted and stuck as a goofy teenager. It loving rocks. He's responsible for my sense of humor and for learning how to dive into a new hobby. He wanted to give me all the best parts of his childhood with none of the bad. He just wanted his kids to have the best possible lives he could provide.

My dad used to build dioramas and models as a kid. They honestly looked incredible. He always said that he wanted to be one of the guys in Hollywood building the special effects for movies, but computers took over. It always bummed me out that he didn't try to find a way to adapt and embrace his creativity. Instead, he tried to be a machinist like his dad but the market tanked and he couldn't get a job. So, he worked at hardware stores and random shops until he ended up fixing copier machines

It sounds silly, but he's drat good at it. I'm always impressed by how his mechanical mind works. He liked to show me how the machines worked and how to fix them. One day, there was a deal on a high quality color copier. So my dad bought it and stuck it in our basement. He tore that thing apart and had me hold the light or pass wrenches for him while he fixed it. It was one of those classic dad moments that usually revolves around a car. But no, not me. I learned to fix copiers.

I know about fuser rollers and development drums. I know about cyan and magenta. I know about cheap poo poo plastic gears and why alcohol shouldn't be used on rubber. I know the smell of the "don't get it in your eyes or mouth" chemicals and the sweet aroma of freshly fused toner on high quality 80lb high gloss. I can now spot Kinkos prints out in the wild bc of how uniquely broken each branch's machines are, leaving streaks and stains on cheap prints.

Aside from copiers, he would always take over my brother and I's school projects. pinewood derby cars barely touched our fingers bc he would have a plan cooked up months prior. One of "my" cars was this cheese wedge with holes in it like a block of swiss. At the back was a cockpit with a little fake mouse at the helm. My dad took some wire and tinted plastic to give him racing goggles and a helmet. It looked loving rad and it dominated the gently caress out of all the other cub scouts. He had that poo poo perfectly tuned, weighted, and rules lawyered to the point where he was doing questionably acceptable poo poo. He won those trophies. Full stop. And he loving deserved em.

He loved making that poo poo and he showed me how to do it, too. I learned how to woodwork and stain. He showed me how to be patient with a jig saw to cut perfect profiles out of planks. He showed me how to hide the heads of screws and how to be handy around the house, too. When he finished our basement, i helped frame it, run wire, and put up drywall. I was probably in middle school at the time.

In my career, i sometimes work with my hands and constantly design poo poo. He made it so much fun to invent things and create something from nothing that i had to find a way to do it every day of my life. I used to say that when i grew up, i wanted to be a fixer guy like my dad. Or maybe an inventor guy. Regardless, i just wanted to be like my dad. A good man sharing the best parts of his life with all the people he cares about. A man that wants to manifest into reality his best thoughts so he can share them with others.

I think I'll call him tomorrow.

That's awesome. :3:

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in
My dad is a good man and a good father who provided a good life for me, my brother, and my mom. He was socially awkward and as much as I love him, I still find him very annoying.

Looking forward to being the same kind of dad some day!

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
My dad told me he wanted a son, but it's OK because I don't cry when I get hurt.

Lol gently caress you dad I was really trying to think of something nice

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Passing down Backgammon knowledge

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
my dad can beat up all your dads, and is in fact, doing so right now

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
he just did a cartwheel kick. go dad go!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Me and my dad used to hit up a drive in theatre and watch awful movies all the time, it kicked rear end