Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Interesting thread; I'm glad I came across it.

I have a gripe about how bad little kids' games are these days. I feel like it's due to the fact that boxed software used to be $20-40, so it was made with some thought and attention by actual companies and sold in stores. iPad apps are only a few dollars (if that) in which case they are toys, or they are subscription-based in which case they want you to pay that much per year. Free games are mostly even worse, since they are loaded with ads and dark patterns.

I've posted this before but I went to pains to find a 360 version of Angry Birds, which is the only way I know of to play the original game without any of that garbage.

Other games that my kids have done OK on are obviously Minecraft, Mario Kart Wii, and What The Golf.

One will sometimes play New Super Mario Bros Wii, but only with a cheat that makes you invulnerable to enemies (you still die from falling though.) I'm not actually sure whether this is good since it leads to not ever wanting to play with the cheat off.

They enjoy Just Dance and Kinect Party but they're barely games. Never got into Wii Sports or Wii Fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Sago mini style games (my city and all the other kindle fire stuff).

The "My Town" games' intro with the man's deep bass saying "This is my town" always made me question whether I should be concerned, but they're ultimately virtual dollhouses which is fine. I generally don't like the Kindle Fire stuff, and we're prematurely canceling the free Amazon Kids+ subscription when school starts back up. I'm going to curate the hell out of what apps they are able to access on it moving forward.

~Coxy posted:

One will sometimes play New Super Mario Bros Wii, but only with a cheat that makes you invulnerable to enemies (you still die from falling though.) I'm not actually sure whether this is good since it leads to not ever wanting to play with the cheat off.

I've had the same thought. Playing as Nabbit in NSMBU Deluxe is easy mode, but it allows them to focus on the controls of platforming. Once they have that down, they can practice avoiding enemies as well. It's sure as hell a gentler ease into video gaming than when my parents bought me a Nintendo with SMB3 for Christmas and said "This is the only game you get this year. Have fun." as they walked out of the room.

I do think I'll have to come to terms with the fact that my kids likely won't be into pixel-perfect platformers like me. Much like I'm not into twitchy shooters like my brother. Everyone has their own preferences and grew up with different games of the moment. As much as I'd love to play through the Super Mario World special levels with my kids, I also don't want to force them to try to enjoy something they don't.

Aryoc
Nov 27, 2006

:black101: Goblin King :black101:
Grimey Drawer
Playing with cheats and other easy-mode stuff is fine! It's not a failing if someone doesn't want to play a game without cheats, games are supposed to be fun. Also as mentioned it's a great way to learn platforming since you can focus on just jumps to begin with. When I was a kid I'd use cheats in games all the time, then when the internet came about I'd find trainers for games and all that. Eventually I got bored of it and wanted to be challenged by games, it didn't ruin me.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Fun coincidence: I'm solo with my 3 year old all weekend and had already decided I was finally gonna buy Untitled Goose Game so we could mess around with it -- and then it goes on sale on the eShop yesterday!! :toot:

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

External Organs posted:

Fun coincidence: I'm solo with my 3 year old all weekend and had already decided I was finally gonna buy Untitled Goose Game so we could mess around with it -- and then it goes on sale on the eShop yesterday!! :toot:

You're gonna have a blast! My kids love the hell out of that game. Just be ready for an annoying amount of honking, but that's kinda the point.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
When I was a kid there was a whole ecosystem of cool educational games. Where did that go?! I'd kill for a new iteration of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego or Zoombinis, hell even a Math Blaster.

We lost a golden age of excellently written, skill building treasures on a CD ROM.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

A Bad King posted:

When I was a kid there was a whole ecosystem of cool educational games. Where did that go?! I'd kill for a new iteration of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego or Zoombinis, hell even a Math Blaster.

We lost a golden age of excellently written, skill building treasures on a CD ROM.

Imo those games got supplanted by free flash games, which then died and were replaced by mobile phone apps that all suck because they were made to pump money rather than edutain.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

CuddleCryptid posted:

Imo those games got supplanted by free flash games, which then died and were replaced by mobile phone apps that all suck because they were made to pump money rather than edutain.

I found a 2015 Zoombinis title on Steam. I saw the $10 price and balked. Yeah, you're basically right.

I am part of the problem. My mom was crazy to spend ~$60 in 1992 dollars for a Zoombinis title. We can't have nice things if we say no to them. :( Socialize endutainment games! This is how you build class consciousness.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

A Bad King posted:

I found a 2015 Zoombinis title on Steam. I saw the $10 price and balked. Yeah, you're basically right.

I am part of the problem. My mom was crazy to spend ~$60 in 1992 dollars for a Zoombinis title. We can't have nice things if we say no to them. :( Socialize endutainment games! This is how you build class consciousness.

It's also tricky because the the games that filled that genre in the 90s were a lot of point and click adventure games which have generally fallen out of favor in the industry. It's partially because people want to play other things but also they're kind of hard to make and animate. I watched Game Grumps play Putt Putt Goes To The Zoo, which I loved as a kid, but the animation and general design is *rough* by modern standards.

Also, not to get all old man shaking a stick at these drat kids, there's the idea that kids games should be generally easy because the dumb kids shouldn't get frustrated. And yet here I was at 6 years old pixel hunting and trying to invent swear words because I couldn't find what I needed in Freddi Fish.

E. And of course it's hard to push formal games on kids when "screen time" is said in the same tone as "cyanide" for a lot of families.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

It's not really a "game", but Khan Academy Kids is a solid, free learning app. Duolingo ABC is pretty good, too, in that regard.

I long for reboots of games I played in computer class at school: Super Solvers and Odell Down Under come to mind.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Just picked up Disney Illusion Island. Going to see how my Mickey-obsessed kids take to Metroidvanias.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

All the kids game energy moved to mobile and got monetized to gently caress and back.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Don’t sleep on the humongous games, imo they still hold up. I had picked up a bundle of all of them on Steam a while back and my 3yo really caught on to Putt Putt (Goes to the Moon, Zoo, and Circus) and Freddi Fish (Kelp Seeds).

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

The Backyard sports series ruled

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Gaming without kids
As a parent (especially as a new parent), you may suddenly find that you don't have freedom to play video games all day on a Saturday while chugging Mtn Dew Game Fuel and gorging on Cool Ranch Doritos. This is a list of games that are easy to pick up and put down between diaper changes or during late-night feeds.
  • Pretty much any roguelike. Some good examples are Hades, Binding of Isaac, and Vampire Survivors.
  • There are some good mobile games out there that can be played in short bursts and with one hand! For example, Mini Metro and Monument Valley.
  • The Steam Deck and Nintendo Switch both have powerful sleep features, which make it very easy to pick-up and put-down a game. So any game that plays on those would meet your sporadic gaming needs.

Just noticed this section, and wanted to add that handheld retro gaming consoles work very well for this too. They're pretty cheap, can emulate anything up to a PS1, and allow you to save state at any time so they're easy to put down. I played through a large chunk of Earthbound and FFVI with a sleeping baby strapped to my chest.

There's a great thread that goes into those:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937810

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I played a lot of Rock Band with my kid in a sling and she loved it.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Just noticed this section, and wanted to add that handheld retro gaming consoles work very well for this too. They're pretty cheap, can emulate anything up to a PS1, and allow you to save state at any time so they're easy to put down. I played through a large chunk of Earthbound and FFVI with a sleeping baby strapped to my chest.

There's a great thread that goes into those:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937810

Good call. I'll add it to the list. I've been eyeing a retro handheld for no reason. I already have a steam deck with emudeck setup. I don't need a separate handheld, but I sure do want one.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

A Bad King posted:

$10 for a touched up (if flawed) rerelease of an edutainment game from 96 seems like an ok price

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

she apparently "can't stop thinking about Zelda" because it's a scary game.

We got back into it! She actually talked me into starting up Link to the Past again.

One dungeon a day. Up to the fourth maiden now. Next is to temper the sword and prepare for the Ice Palace.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

~Coxy posted:

They enjoy Just Dance and Kinect Party but they're barely games.

"rhythm and party games are non-games for dirty casuals" is not a value that i, personally, will be trying to instill in the young gamers i know

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Lutha Mahtin posted:

"rhythm and party games are non-games for dirty casuals" is not a value that i, personally, will be trying to instill in the young gamers i know

hosed up to be dooming your children to a life of being filthy casuals

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

External Organs posted:

I got this and Donut Country on sale since my boyfriend and his four year old are staying with me this weekend. We had a blast and both are good stress free intros to figuring out controls! So much honking.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Baby cleared her first Mario level! SMB 3, stage 1-5 or whichever is the underground ice tunnel one. Well, I had to help her make one difficult jump but I was really impressed.

That game is so loving hard though, I don’t think we’ll persist. Especially since save states are somehow broken for the NES emulator on my Kodi box.

We finished Link to the Past. Got most of the optional items so the final boss was way easier than I remembered it from when, as a kid of 11, I didn’t know about throwing the tempered sword into the fat fairy’s pond…

Anyway, kid is nagging me to “play Zelda again” which means she wants to watch me play it. What else is a good game for an almost-5- year old to watch-and-participate in? Not too violent and has to either be on Steam or emulate on a Kodi.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Maybe I’ll set up GBC emulation and play some OG pokemon yellow?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Anyway, kid is nagging me to “play Zelda again” which means she wants to watch me play it. What else is a good game for an almost-5- year old to watch-and-participate in? Not too violent and has to either be on Steam or emulate on a Kodi.

Have you done the Lego Star Wars series?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
That might be good! Seems age-appropriate.

Is it very dialog-driven? I should have mentioned we're not native English speakers and she doesn't speak it yet.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t recall it being so, no.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Me and my kid played the hidden object game series Nightmares from the Deep around that age. It's a mom-safe but spooky ghost pirate game. She could move the mouse around and find objects and hide under the desk when she got scared.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

The "My Town" games' intro with the man's deep bass saying "This is my town" always made me question whether I should be concerned, but they're ultimately virtual dollhouses which is fine. I generally don't like the Kindle Fire stuff, and we're prematurely canceling the free Amazon Kids+ subscription when school starts back up. I'm going to curate the hell out of what apps they are able to access on it moving forward.

have I got bad news for you! Kindle functions on a perpetual whitelist approach. and it's a really messed up one because it's backwards but not quite a blacklist. You can only put what you want onto the blacklist, but when new games come out there's no way to have a filter for that to block them. so when people release seven new versions of sago mini or some other incredibly crappy designed game, All of those will be available until you add them on the black list. so every new predatory kid game will show up by definition.

so in my case for example I wanted my daughter have the podcast app? I would have to go in and blacklist every single other app in the system which would only work until new games come out - because there is no choice between games and apps you approve.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

notwithoutmyanus posted:

have I got bad news for you! Kindle functions on a perpetual whitelist approach. and it's a really messed up one because it's backwards but not quite a blacklist. You can only put what you want onto the blacklist, but when new games come out there's no way to have a filter for that to block them. so when people release seven new versions of sago mini or some other incredibly crappy designed game, All of those will be available until you add them on the black list. so every new predatory kid game will show up by definition.

so in my case for example I wanted my daughter have the podcast app? I would have to go in and blacklist every single other app in the system which would only work until new games come out - because there is no choice between games and apps you approve.

Yeah. Their automatic whitelisting practice was the bane of my existence. Since school started, I've turned off and cancelled the Amazon Kids+ subscription entirely which inherently blacklists everything since they no longer have access to it. I've added a few apps from the Amazon app store to my content list and shared them with the kids, so now they only have access to a very limited number of items that I've shared with them.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I explicitly, explicitly regret ever allowing or getting any kindle devices ever in this household.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I figured out my new go-to for the kids playing games together.
  1. Install whatever random Lego game I have onto the PC.
  2. Download a 100% save file.
  3. Let the kids at it.

They use Lego games as a virtual dollhouse. Running around, exploring, and making up stories with the dozens of characters they have access to (plus character customization in the newer ones). They aren't gated by any story progression that they don't care about going through. It's pretty great seeing them play together in that virtual sandbox.

I bought the latest star wars lego anthology game (skywalker something) when it came on sale recently

That is the only "action" game I feel comfortable playing around my nearly 3 year old at this time, it's pretty great, and she can watch it and be entertained

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My almost-16-yo (Jesus Christ, I still have trouble with that) has been playing Lego Star Wars and such since she was about 3, and she still breaks it out with her friends when they come over. It’s a lifetime companion.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hadlock posted:

I bought the latest star wars lego anthology game (skywalker something) when it came on sale recently

That is the only "action" game I feel comfortable playing around my nearly 3 year old at this time, it's pretty great, and she can watch it and be entertained

This piqued my interest enough that I’ll probably pick up the previous one (not the skywalker saga) and play a couple levels to check out before putting her in front of it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The light saber stuff is inevitable (I mean, come on) but there's no extreme violence or whatever. If they bop them on the head, they do it off screen and you hear a noise. They're pretty methodical about keeping it PG to (almost) G

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Ages 8+
[list]
[*]Labyrinth City: Pierre the Maze Detective (Multi-platform)
[

We just had the first major cold since summer, and the nearly-5-year-old has enjoyed this game a lot. She's not a fluent reader, and speaks no English to speak of, but the game works well when I'm seated next to her and reading out the prompts and dialog. Controls are very forgiving since you can't accidentally step into stuff and die.

On the second-to-last level, navigation starts to get a little complicated, with lots of one-way gates to navigate, so there have been several times where she has handed me the controller because it's just too much mental effort.

Right now we're playing this, and Pokémon Yellow on GBC emulator. In fact, we're pairing the TV series' season 1 with the playthrough, though we've watched ahead a pretty long way by now. The game mechanics are simple enough that she can sort of grok them (at least the rock-paper-scissors aspect of them), and she loves catching and finding new pokemon.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I really hope they make sequels. If any of you didn't know, this game is based on a book. There are other books in the series

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

There was a recent conversation in the "Before I Play" thread about Roblox that I felt was relevant to our little thread here, so I'll cross-post. The discussion starts here and lasts about a page.

Also, I introduced my 7yo daughter to Stardew Valley a couple weeks ago, and she is smitten. I love that it's pretty open to how you play, and there are no hard deadlines (like in the original Harvest Moon games). You can take it at your own pace and do as much or as little as you want.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 14, 2023

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I'm trying to avoid the mobile gaming curse by trying to raise my 5 year kld into a PC gamer.

In practice it means we play Untitled Goose Game, Donut Country and Alba: A Wildlife Story a lot.

I haven't seen Alba mentioned in this thread and it's absolutely worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
A lesson in humility:

Having been called in as the ringer uncle to help my nephew learn how to deal with defeat I have learned that there is a window for this.

When he was 6 my sister had me come over to play smash bros wii u with him. I asked if I should go easy on him and she stopped smiling and said, "crush him". He was a sore winner and sorer loser, but went undefeated in their house. Thankfully smash bros doesn't change much and my muscle memory from high school playing melee was intact.

Side-note: it's really hard to keep beating someone in a game when they're telling you "good game" with tears in their eyes.

About 3 years later my nephew asks me to play smash ultimate. At this point he seems to know how to counter every move and is calling his shots while beating me. I only got a win when I used the most recent dlc character because he hadn't fought them enough yet. He wasn't a sore winner or loser this time though.

He's ten now, last time they were in town I was allowed to play Street Fighter 6 with him, with the battle damage turned off. It was on classic controls and he couldn't do a quarter circle, but a dragon punch? Sure. Tech every throw attempt? Yeah. Somehow figure out drive impact and counters after a round? Yep. He could barely do any of the special moves and it was still really hard to beat him. I was about to switch him to modern controls but they had to go at that point. Pretty sure he would've slaughtered me if there had been time.

Moral: The difference in reaction times will catch up with you. So humble your kids while you can I guess.