Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008
Any recommendations for PC controllers for small hands? Thinking of an xbox one controller. Bluetooth preferred.

Also thanks for recommending donut county and moving on; both are big hits!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
This is a bit of a silly recommendation, but when my kids were really little I gave them a fightstick to use. It works in most games that aren't FPS, plus you can fist the control stick and easily mash any of the buttons.

Gamecube controllers are the smallest form factor that I know of and are easy to get USB versions of, but not BT.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Ne Cede Malis posted:

Any recommendations for PC controllers for small hands?
I'm generally a fan of 8BitDo controllers. If you don't need analog sticks, the M30 is one of my favorites reasonably small. If you want something for seriously tiny hands, maybe the Micro?

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm generally a fan of 8BitDo controllers. If you don't need analog sticks, the M30 is one of my favorites reasonably small. If you want something for seriously tiny hands, maybe the Micro?

Awesome these are great! Thank you!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

~Coxy posted:

This is a bit of a silly recommendation, but when my kids were really little I gave them a fightstick to use. It works in most games that aren't FPS, plus you can fist the control stick and easily mash any of the buttons.

Gamecube controllers are the smallest form factor that I know of and are easy to get USB versions of, but not BT.

I can second this. The first game my son really got into was Shredder's revenge on my mame cabinet.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Jose Valasquez posted:

My 3 year old loves the PBS Kids Games app on iOS. It's got probably a hundred plus "games" of various difficulties, a lot of simple stuff like dress up or really easy hide and seek games, but some are much more involved and would still be good for kids a year or two older too. It's all free and there are no in app purchases.

Region restricted to the US, sadly.

Not sure I really understand why -- it's not like they're selling it elsewhere? I guess it costs money to put a free app on the stores?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

For my daughter, I bought their SNES-like: https://shop.8bitdo.com/products/8bitdo-sn30-pro-wired-gamepad-for-switch-pc-retropie-raspberry-pi

It works really well with our HTPC for all kinds of games. Even for 4-year old hands. The D-pad is so much better than the Xbox 360 controller I had before. Only drawback is I had to get a USB extension cord. I didn’t want the wireless because I hate dealing with battery charge.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Region restricted to the US, sadly.

Not sure I really understand why -- it's not like they're selling it elsewhere? I guess it costs money to put a free app on the stores?

It likely has something to do with media licensing and how complicated that can get across regions. I'd bet it's much easier (legally speaking) for PBS to only distribute to the US than deal with whatever hurdles they'd have to go through to distribute their media in other regions.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My kids are way too old for it, but I’ve heard good things about this app (Pok Pok) for kids under 8 or so.

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/pok-pok-preschool-games/id1550204730

doesn’t require a network connection either!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm reading Frog Detective 1: Mystery of the Haunted Island to my second child. It's such a fun lil read and the game parts are incredibly simple. The dialog is back and forth and it's got a good rhythm for silly voices read aloud. If you can rope your spouse or an older reader in them it's a real hoot.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A whole 'nother category that could go in the OP is "Games Kids Like To Watch You Play". Turn-based games offer a lot of opportunity to talk through what's going on and for questions to be asked, I think those are a lot easier for turning it into a collaborative activity.

My 5 year-old son and I played Battletech together, me playing and him watching. It had everything that a boy that age could want. The mech bay lets you more closely inspect the robot models and you get to see robots shooting missiles and lasers at each other. He loved clicking the big ATTACK button

I let him watch me play Subnautica in the shallower parts of the game. It's a perfect young-kid game if you're just goofing off, gathering resources, gathering fish, building up your base, etc. I beat the game a year ago but he still occasionally begs for me to go back to it

Orcs Must Die 3 was a good one, it's all cartoon violence and is primarily about laying traps. Little kids love seeing a huge spring flinging 30 orcs lava, or a giant boulder rolling into a hoard of goblins

Psychonauts would probably be a really good choice

We played Monster Train together a bit last night, it was reasonably good for a play-together experience

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My 3 year old seems to show some interest in "Dave the Diver"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

gently caress, I was playing og Doom when I was 7. Should I show Doom to my 7 year old?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

depends on the kid imo

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

gently caress, I was playing og Doom when I was 7. Should I show Doom to my 7 year old?

There weren't as many options available to us at the time comparatively, so we took what we could get. Obviously, kids vary and your kid might be totally ready. I'm trying to think of any kid-friendly boomer shooters around, and none come to mind (admittedly, it's not my favorite genre). Something like Slime Rancher could scratch that FPS itch. Or try to scrounge up a copy of Chex Quest.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Good-Natured Filth posted:

There weren't as many options available to us at the time comparatively, so we took what we could get. Obviously, kids vary and your kid might be totally ready. I'm trying to think of any kid-friendly boomer shooters around, and none come to mind (admittedly, it's not my favorite genre). Something like Slime Rancher could scratch that FPS itch. Or try to scrounge up a copy of Chex Quest.

everyone should introduce slime rancher to their kids, and also their friends and loved ones

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Or try to scrounge up a copy of Chex Quest.

Good news, it's free and has been updated with a third episode!
http://www.chexquest.org/index.php?topic=1664.msg87302#msg87302

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
My kid enjoyed watching the construction vehicles in workers and resources but she found it less fun to watch me plan things out.

poo poo I should try construction simulator again

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Benagain posted:

My kid enjoyed watching the construction vehicles in workers and resources but she found it less fun to watch me plan things out.

Time honored tradition of Dad playing with miniatures and child being duct taped to a seat forbidden from touching anything.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Benagain posted:

have you tried mudrunner/snowrunner? it was a hit when i showed it to a kid who loves construction vehicles

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

My 3 year old likes to watch games sometimes. i think it's too difficult to learn how to play anything when the controller is so huge. she cant manage the camera and the movement and push the buttons.

If the characters talk in the game she enjoys watching way more than if i read the screen to her.

However these are the most popular:

Anno 1800
- She does not care for the city building mode, but she loves the first person mode because there are lots of things to look at.

Portal 2
- She loves Wheatly. She lunged at the TV upon sight of the companion cube, this deeply concerns me.

Star Wars Jedi survivor/fallen order
- Cal and BD1 caused her to make BD1 sounds all day. These guys need a TV show.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

My 5yo son's current MO when he gets screen time is to pick up either Untitled Goose Game or Donut County, erase his save file, and play from start to finish. He's beaten those games a dozen times each. He's well on his way to speed running them.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
One of these days I think I'm gonna put on a TAS video and fiddle with the controller like I'm playing the game. To establish dominance and wow with spectacle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGwjGGF4M5g

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
My daughter currently really likes to play minecraft, I'm looking for a cross platform game (ps5 + pc) that is the next 'step up' from that in a survival game or a stardew like. Seem to be a couple of interesting ones in early access atm, but none of them are on ps5, anyone have any suggestions?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Paracausal posted:

My daughter currently really likes to play minecraft, I'm looking for a cross platform game (ps5 + pc) that is the next 'step up' from that in a survival game or a stardew like. Seem to be a couple of interesting ones in early access atm, but none of them are on ps5, anyone have any suggestions?

I’m interested in this too, though I don’t need PS5 cross-play. Hmm!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Paracausal posted:

You might have to wait a little while but Raft and Corekeeper are coming to consoles. Grounded is also losing Microsoft exclusivity.

Astroneer is on PS5 (no idea about crossplay)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My 3 year old really likes Uno she's requested to play it three times this week

I pulled out all the draw +2, +4, reverse and wild cards, I didn't feel like trying to explain those concepts. But she really likes the number/color matching part

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
The bane of my existence is anything by Budge Studios. They make a bunch of popular licensed mobile games and the worst part is that they're actually pretty well made, but they all have an awful subscription which is like $50 a year per game, insanity!

My kids like to play Othello, the rules are fairly easy to understand and it's visually appealing, there are plenty of them for mobile/tablet.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
My kid is better than me at Hollow Knight. He really took to it. His skill journey went from him being frustrated to the point of crying at the first mini-boss and me being called in to beat the boss to him doing absolute final super radiance casually whenever he likes and also doing a steel soul run in single digit hours.

He's 10.

All the jump puzzle areas like the path of pain are called parkour sections.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
My nephew's 10 and is sorta getting into speed-running territory with his games too. I should suggest Hollow Knight for him, not sure why I haven't thought of it before, thanks.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Probably not news to the people in this thread, but Overcooked: All You Can Eat is an updated version of the Overcooked games that allows for granular difficulty reduction for whole family coop, which is very useful when one of the players is a kid. Even more importantly, it allows to select the chefs from the start, without having to unlock them.

Chicory is on Gamepass, the player is a cute dog with a magical paintbrush, everybody is named after various foods, painting landscapes and dressing up are gameplay elements, so the game is also a hit. Puzzles can be a bit hard though.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

One of the kids I work with absolutely loves Hollow Knight. It's a shame there's input lag on the PS5 that apparently can't be fixed.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

fez_machine posted:

You might have to wait a little while but Raft and Corekeeper are coming to consoles. Grounded is also losing Microsoft exclusivity.

Astroneer is on PS5 (no idea about crossplay)

Thanks for this, Microsoft just confirmed the date grounded is coming to ps5, that might be a goer
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2024/02/21/new-platforms-new-players-xbox-games-switch-playstation/

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

My toddler saw me playing Mount and Blade the other day and asked to play; she enjoyed making the horsey rear and jump.

When she got home from daycare today she asked to play again, so I had to quickly slaughter an entire village for her.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Apparently I never saw Grounded when it was coming out then thought “oh cool it’s a coop where you build and have a honey I shrunk the kids vibe”. Then I saw the trailer and realized I would give my little ones nightmares fighting insects.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Anyone try buying a cheap 3rd party switch controller? I don't want to drop $70 on another pro controller when the only goal is to keep my kid's grimey greasy hands off my pro.

Also one of my joycons have drift but I don't want to bother getting an all new set for the very rare occasion we do 3 player Mario.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Renegret posted:

Anyone try buying a cheap 3rd party switch controller? I don't want to drop $70 on another pro controller when the only goal is to keep my kid's grimey greasy hands off my pro.

Also one of my joycons have drift but I don't want to bother getting an all new set for the very rare occasion we do 3 player Mario.

Earlier on this page there was some discussion about 8bitdo controllers. I think those work with Switch as well and are generally good.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Renegret posted:

Nintendo will repair your drifting joycon for free. I've done it twice.

https://repair.nintendo.com/cc/soConsumer.html?lang=en&sys=SWTCH&type=JOY-CON

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Farquar posted:

Nintendo will repair your drifting joycon for free. I've done it twice.

https://repair.nintendo.com/cc/soConsumer.html?lang=en&sys=SWTCH&type=JOY-CON

Oh sweet thanks I'll look into this.

They were actually drifting shortly after I got the switch but I was too lazy to do anything about it since I had no reason to ever use the joycons. Never would I expect six years later I'd be using them with my own little chaos gremlin to farm the Hoppo stage in Mario Wonder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My 7 year-old still really likes watching youtube videos over pretty much anything else. I'd like it if he spent more time doing things and less time watching things. I can get him to watch me play games, when I have time for that, but I can't get him to just sit down and play something on his own - if it's Mario for instance, then we have to be playing together, likewise for Mario Kart. He's discouraged by the difficulty of things that hasn't tried yet. I'm not sure what to do.

Currently, he is watching me play Stardew Valley and Armored Core 6, and he actually likes watching Stardew Valley more. It feels like a game he could be playing with me in coop mode, but he's not very interested.