Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

stack em up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Treecko posted:

If you have scissors, cardboard and an imagination you can make your own pogs

I lived in Hawaii when pogs where popular there

We had "Portuguese Pogs" that were squares lol (portuguese in hawaii gets a similar treatment to polish jokes in the rest of the US)

Edit: I found it in an image

Konar fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 9, 2023

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
bring 'em back. Call 'em Gops. Know one will know what hit 'em once the addiction starts.

Slam! Slam! Slam! *bankrupt by Friday*

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Konar posted:

We had "Portuguese Pogs" that were squares lol (portuguese in hawaii gets a similar treatment to polish jokes in the rest of the US)

Lol I used to have a bunch of those, including da portagee pog

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Uh.... anyone remember Tazos?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i have no pog yet i must slam

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

August 29, 1984 skynet created the fleshlight

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 minutes!

Konar posted:

Robert's Hawaii looks awesome, whatever it is

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Bumping this post because I really think they are coming back now, at any time

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

RickRogers posted:

Bumping this post because I really think they are coming back now, at any time

Are they in the room with you, right now?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Poggalo Joe, what do you know?

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Are they in the room with you, right now?

they're slamming at the door

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I had a legendary pog collection, which I kept on evolving. I had a rubber "big foot" slammer that made me win every time. The best of the best pogs were only kept. The most pristine, foil ones. Then, one day my tube of pogs were thrown away by my mom thinking they were "trash". Would have been worth millions today..

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
interesting op, but here's the real question: are pawgs going to come back?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Good Sphere posted:

I had a legendary pog collection, which I kept on evolving. I had a rubber "big foot" slammer that made me win every time. The best of the best pogs were only kept. The most pristine, foil ones. Then, one day my tube of pogs were thrown away by my mom thinking they were "trash". Would have been worth millions today..

throw that bitch in a home

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
or a grave

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Did anyone ever play with Bad Boy pogs? They were cut differently and had a little number on them so you could collect them all.

My cousin had one of those pog folders. Man that was so cool; I never had one though because I was a maverick and was willing to gamble even my most precious pogs because I had the perfect slams. I used the most simple slammer, a round coppery lookin disc, super plain, but like the Holy Grail of pogs I would slam that fucker down and could turn over an entire 10stack every time.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Are there super serious 40 year old man pog tournaments

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

MrQwerty posted:

Are there super serious 40 year old man pog tournaments

Can't wait for some genius to set up the Professional Pog Competitive League

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Unironically what are pogs, they were before my time and I have somehow escaped hearing or learning about what they are since I was born.

I literally just assume it's like that weird ball and caltrop game.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
If they come back it will be something impossibly stupid like NFT pogs with RFID tags in them.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

We had Tazos over here, which came free in specially marked bags of chips, fritos and doritos. The original wave had the Looney Tunes, then they did one for Tiny Toons, and so on. I also cried over them in fourth grade when I felt I was hot poo poo at playing them, only to have the first kid I played against win most of my collection so far. I have some Pokémon and Dragon Ball ones stored somewhere. This one was laying around for no reason, having escaped my categorization and storage efforts:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Telsa Cola posted:

Unironically what are pogs, they were before my time and I have somehow escaped hearing or learning about what they are since I was born.

I literally just assume it's like that weird ball and caltrop game.

They started as the caps to a beverage in hawaii, papaya orange guava iirc, or POG

Supposedly, some kids invented a game where you took the caps from bottles of that stuff and stacked them up, then used a special heavier pog or “slammer” to try to hit the stack and flip them all so they land face-up. You keep face up pogs from your turn off to one side as your winnings and keep replenishing the stack from either a communal pool or you alternate with your opponent until all the pogs have been won

It had regional variations but somehow went nationwide for a few months to a year in… 1994? I think?

The caps were just cardboard circles with printed designs so super cheap to make and very customizable, but it felt for a little while like a new type of baseball cards to collect or something before the bottom fell out of the fad

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

rotinaj posted:

They started as the caps to a beverage in hawaii, papaya orange guava iirc, or POG

Supposedly, some kids invented a game where you took the caps from bottles of that stuff and stacked them up, then used a special heavier pog or “slammer” to try to hit the stack and flip them all so they land face-up. You keep face up pogs from your turn off to one side as your winnings and keep replenishing the stack from either a communal pool or you alternate with your opponent until all the pogs have been won

It had regional variations but somehow went nationwide for a few months to a year in… 1994? I think?

The caps were just cardboard circles with printed designs so super cheap to make and very customizable, but it felt for a little while like a new type of baseball cards to collect or something before the bottom fell out of the fad

Try worldwide. I grew up in post-Communist Poland and those things were the first fad I remember. I remember when the Mortal Kombat 3 pogs dropped and everyone was losing their goddamn minds lol

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Hold on I don't think that's a Pog. That's something else that I don't remember what. You were supposed to clip them together I think? You got them in chip packets.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
That is absolutely not a pog and is NOT legal for play in World POG Federation events :colbert:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Hold on I don't think that's a Pog. That's something else that I don't remember what. You were supposed to clip them together I think? You got them in chip packets.

I have no idea, we called them pogs cause they were round and we were kids. So they're pogs to me damnit :colbert:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It's a Tazo and I have no idea if you could just buy them but I only remember getting them from chip packets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
gently caress pogs, clogs is where it's at.