Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
Chris Onstad is doing new Achewood weekly strips, that you can see with your eyes if you join his patreon.

https://www.patreon.com/Achewood

I liked Achewood but does he really have that big of a fan base that will pay for it? If he does, good for him I guess.

Thanks to this bit, I do say 'Daaamn that answer could use some work' more than I should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

the epic mid-00s comic is BACK baby

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
I recently learned those guys are otters. :wtf:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Peggy Edson posted:

the epic mid-00s comic is BACK baby

first teh epic webcomics, next....... the greatest forums on the internet

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I don't have the focus to read a novels doled out in comic speech bubbles, sorry!

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Sounds like he's desperate

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I recently learned those guys are otters. :wtf:

what in tarnation

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
my neighbor's cat has a passing resemblance to ray from achewood. the cat's name is noodles but mrs d8 calls her 'worms' if that matters at all.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I like Achewood and I thought there was supposed to be a hardcover collection coming out but I think it was canceled :(

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Treecko posted:

Sounds like he's desperate

Well he's now getting paid $10,000 a month to not make comics and you aren't so who's the winner here

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

hell yea

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I like Achewood and I thought there was supposed to be a hardcover collection coming out but I think it was canceled :(

There was an article a day or two ago that goes into some of this. He was going to have a Netflix show on The Great Outdoor Fight storyline and on the DAY that they were going to go to the final meeting to get the presumed thumbs up, Netflix released their latest quarter numbers and their stock tanked, so they cut a ton of animation programs, that one included.

Shortly after, the publisher that was going to do the hardcover collection folded.

Also, Ray and Roast Beef are cats; Philippe is indeed an otter.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

didnt he dip with a bunch of peoples money?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

The article on The Verge did indeed say the hardcover publisher folded. I would buy one if they made it though.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I mean the comics are funny sometimes but no way I'm paying for something I've seen for free 1000 times.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I hope he still uses 7pt font

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL

SgtScruffy posted:

Don't forget Ultra Peanut is also an otter from Japan. She calls Phillipe the hard R.

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

What happened to that lovely dinosaur clipart comic anyway? It was never funny but I would just like to know if the creator is wallowing in some gutter.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the Qwantz one or whatever? he did some books and now he writes squirrel girl, which is also bad.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

a lot are bad but not this one

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I loved Achewood and it was kind of heartbreaking how at the end Chris was clearly struggling mentally and would drop storylines and disappear for months at a time until he finally called it quits. I hope he’s in a better place now (roast beef’s depression always felt a little too real to me) and I’m glad he’s making comics again. I own a bunch of his books and in my 20s had a bunch of his GOF posters hanging up in my apartment until I got married and my wife made me take them down. Thanks for the tip OP im gonna subscribe.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Jillian poo poo posted:

What happened to that lovely dinosaur clipart comic anyway? It was never funny but I would just like to know if the creator is wallowing in some gutter.
Ryan North is living his best life

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I liked Achewood but paying 5 bucks a month for a comic is a somewhat hard sell even without any of the new strips being public so you know if they're actually good or just a cash in.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

The Bramble posted:

I loved Achewood and it was kind of heartbreaking how at the end Chris was clearly struggling mentally and would drop storylines and disappear for months at a time until he finally called it quits. I hope he’s in a better place now (roast beef’s depression always felt a little too real to me) and I’m glad he’s making comics again. I own a bunch of his books and in my 20s had a bunch of his GOF posters hanging up in my apartment until I got married and my wife made me take them down. Thanks for the tip OP im gonna subscribe.

yeah, the whole roast beef depression and ray's slide in to severe alcoholism (plus writing out molly when he got divorced) were a little too mjuch "write about what you know" and they got kinda harrowing.

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

Jillian poo poo posted:

He won a pair of Eisners, got stuck in a hole with his dog, and has had a wide variety of successful runs, including original work, a graphic novel adaptation of "Slaughterhouse Five", and a just-started run on Fantastic Four. A successful comics guy!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

SgtScruffy posted:

phillipe is five, op

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I like achewood when it's clever and funny but too often it's like catching up with that one friend of yours whose life is slowly but certaiy getting worse, so you try to enjoy the good moments, but they are so low key and quiet that you start laughing at things out of necessity, while being slowly ensnared in despair yourself

I'll give Onstad that he's a great observer of human characters, has the ability to write instantly memorable dialogue, and juggling various personal quirks of his critters for years is also a very respectable skill

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
this is terrible news, op

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I snagged a hardcover edition of the Great Outdoor Fight back in the day

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Sometimes you see a girl and you just think "This chick has some RUUUUUUDE TIDDIES" so I think he nailed it with that line of dialogue

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ray ate so many Tofutti Cuties that he died of an ice cream headache and went to hell

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
poo poo happens to the best of us

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

dsf posted:

didnt he dip with a bunch of peoples money?

i think he went dipset on the cookbook money.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Doesn’t Onstad have an account here

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Yes but he hasn’t posted since like 2011 or something.

Achewood is still very very funny. It is kind of a relic of the time when the internet was Dudes Space but some of those jokes will get me forever.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
On an achewood note I got to use the phrase “packing Hot Lunches” in its proper context yesterday and in spite of the disgusting context I was very pleased that I could do so

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I definitely would have paid $14 a month for this in 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Only gets better with time