Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

In Nintendo's movie The Wizard that autistic kid got an impossible score on Double Dragon, which he played on an Arcade Cabinet but it was clearly the NES port. Fred Savage was in it.

I think I read that on Seanbaby's site like, 15 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

erosion posted:

Way too big for her to handle but she seems pretty happy about it

:smug:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Simpsons has always been weirdly accurate in its depiction of contemporary video games, of all things. Even sometimes past the golden age.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

if i was in a movie i’d be looking at the big tiddie costars op

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Chrs posted:

The N64 controller is so stupid that I can believe it to be honest.

If thats the case then its weird how the characters knew that

it was good actually

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Chrs posted:

people freaking love that pieve of poo poo for some reason lmao. nintendo finally stopped making gimmicky bullshit and admitted that the standard gamepad layout was the best when they made the "pro controller"

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
N64 controllers were a hot mess, how did anyone beat Goldeneye back in the day?

Seriously Nintendo, the joystick is in the center how the gently caress am I supposed to hold this thing?

Dreamcast sucked too, why was the cord at the bottom? What a dumb design Sega.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Chrs posted:

If thats the case then its weird how the characters knew that

oh no i mean that if the actor was used to piloting RC planes or whatnot it made sense that he'd default to that grip on the stick. the N64 controller was a hot mess and i honestly cant believe anyone would be okay with not using almost half of the buttons on it

also you had to use the n64 stick by using the thumb because you had to reach the Z button in the back. again, it was a mess

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
They sell N64 shaped controllers for the Switch and they're sold out regularly.

Why? Who is buying that POS.

Gamers.

Ocarina is more enjoyable without that lovely controller.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
They got it right with the GameCube controller, that is so comfortable to hold

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Im gonna buy some aftermarket N64 controllers just to make sure I have some for when my current ones inevitably get ground to dust. The original designs, cuz that’s what games all assume you have!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Treecko posted:

Seriously Nintendo, the joystick is in the center how the gently caress am I supposed to hold this thing?

There were pictures on the box literally telling you how to hold to controller

Maybe the problem is just you

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I played a bunch of N64 games on an XBOX controller it's better. Who ever invented the N64 controller I commend their bravery though.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Treecko posted:

You use control method 1.2: Solitaire.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Haha, eat poo poo residents of Texas and Massachusucks.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Treecko posted:

never held a GC but it resembles a dualshock controller so of course its confortable

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Treecko posted:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
You pay for the whole controller BUT YOU'LL ONLY USE THE EDGE!!!

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Was there any other game this was useful for other than Phantasy Star Online?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
https://www.amazon.com/IFYOO-Touchpad-Funcitons-Controller-Compatible/dp/B0BS73RQX7?th=1

Has a video telling you you're holding it wrong.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

You always hear about how actors trained karate for 6 months or learned to play the guitar for one scene or had several years of promiscuous sex in preparation for a movie role so it's foolish to think actors don't prepare for important scenes where they play a game for 6 seconds. I think it probably looks weird because they all train by playing Armored Core 3 so of course their hand movements are going to look super hosed up.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

lol that looping music

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiBOhShCJv8

OP seems to be talking about this scene, specificically

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pretty sure even actors who know how to play video games get told by directors to wave the controller around.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Poohs Packin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiBOhShCJv8

OP seems to be talking about this scene, specificically

Lol

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Adam Sandler is a true gamer.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Adam Sandler could probably beat me at video games and being funny :(

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Treecko posted:

you loving morons you hold it like this, it was one of the best controllers except for the stick wearing to dust quite quickly

because i’m a dipshit, in the 90s a portion of my life mostly revolves around n64. they popularised analogue controllers because shigs wanted something that didn’t suck rear end for mario 64

ps1 launched with a nice controller but it had no analogue sticks. they launched the dual analogue after nintendo announced the n64 controller and then made it into dualshock after nintendo launched the rumble pak for starfox 64.

this is the first ps analogue controller: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_Analog_Controller

having two sticks instead of one was good shot, thank you sony

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~
Yeah N64 controller was great wtf is wrong with you people. Like ^ said the only problem was how quickly the joystick pivot ground down and turned to crap which was admittedly a big issue but a fresh out the box joystick was pure pleasure

I remember Christmas 96 when my parents were taking all day to figure out how to hook it up (had to do it through the VCR then switch inputs through said VCR menu, way beyond our knowledge at the time, I think I was the one that eventually figured it out while my parents thought the N64 was defective) I was just sitting there playing with the controller in awe practicing Mario 64 moves from the manual.

Phyein fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 14, 2023

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Yeah let's make a grip so weird making like half of the buttons useless, good job

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I didn't have a nintendo 64 as a kid but I did have a decent PC with a 3dfx voodoo 3 card which meant native glide support with UltraHLE, the first n64 emulator. Man I got really drat good at using the arrow keys as the replacement for the n64 joystick. Doing smooth rotational movements in Mario 64 via 4 keyboard keys became second nature to me

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

Space Kablooey posted:

Yeah let's make a grip so weird making like half of the buttons useless, good job

the offset handle setup putting your wrists/forearms at different angles is expressly forbidden in basically all of the ergonomic rules for handheld machinery design i've ever seen lmao

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Do people still not get the N64 controller gimmick?

It was intended to be held in different grips depending on the game being played. As with many of Nintendo’s gimmicks though it wasn’t heavily implemented by developers.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Do people still not get the N64 controller gimmick?

It was intended to be held in different grips depending on the game being played. As with many of Nintendo’s gimmicks though it wasn’t heavily implemented by developers.

i think people understand it well, abnd that's why they think it sucks

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i think people understand it well, abnd that's why they think it sucks

Oh I agree that it sucks. The N64 as a whole sucked though.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

git apologist posted:

you loving morons you hold it like this, it was one of the best controllers except for the stick wearing to dust quite quickly

because i’m a dipshit, in the 90s a portion of my life mostly revolves around n64. they popularised analogue controllers because shigs wanted something that didn’t suck rear end for mario 64

ps1 launched with a nice controller but it had no analogue sticks. they launched the dual analogue after nintendo announced the n64 controller and then made it into dualshock after nintendo launched the rumble pak for starfox 64.

this is the first ps analogue controller: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_Analog_Controller

having two sticks instead of one was good shot, thank you sony

The N64 controller is rancid dog's rear end

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Scrotum Modem posted:

I didn't have a nintendo 64 as a kid but I did have a decent PC with a 3dfx voodoo 3 card which meant native glide support with UltraHLE, the first n64 emulator. Man I got really drat good at using the arrow keys as the replacement for the n64 joystick. Doing smooth rotational movements in Mario 64 via 4 keyboard keys became second nature to me

This is pure distilled “kid with infinite free time” energy. Sure I’ll retry the same level 8 hours straight.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

It’s funny that you use house cause an earlier season has him playing a Metroid game on the gba sp and while it being a handheld kinda masks the physical aspect of the awkward play the dialogue around it doesn’t fit a Metroid game at all, stuff like points and levels etc.

It felt particularly odd because there’s obviously countless games they could have used that would fit more generic lingo but they specifically used metroid and gave lots of over the shoulder shots to let you know what game he was playing. It must have been a paid promo or something .

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

PoundSand posted:

It’s funny that you use house cause an earlier season has him playing a Metroid game on the gba sp and while it being a handheld kinda masks the physical aspect of the awkward play the dialogue around it doesn’t fit a Metroid game at all, stuff like points and levels etc.

It felt particularly odd because there’s obviously countless games they could have used that would fit more generic lingo but they specifically used metroid and gave lots of over the shoulder shots to let you know what game he was playing. It must have been a paid promo or something .

Oh it totally was. In another episode he whipped out a DS and stuck METROID PRIME HUNTERS NOW ON SALE up to an unconscious patient’s ear to test reactions

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

the offset handle setup putting your wrists/forearms at different angles is expressly forbidden in basically all of the ergonomic rules for handheld machinery design i've ever seen lmao

im starting to think miyamoto is a hack