Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
"Sheet Mulching", or "Lasagna Gardening", is when you put layers of cardboard and organic waste down on the soil to compost at an accelerated rate. You can vastly improve the quality of your soil and recycle a bunch of waste to boot! I haven't tried it yet, but I did find a video of a guy going all out on his Scottish coastal farm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp5Lt5VkB3Y

My only issue with this video is the audio levels are completely out of whack, RIP your ears when the music kicks in.

Anyway, assuming you have a lawn or garden or field, is this something you have tried, or would be interested in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Username post combo

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I used to work with vermicomposting bins where we used waste cardboard as covers to keep the moisture in. After a particular piece of cardboard started to get ratty, you could just tear it up, turn it in, and let the worms have at it the rest of the way. If you were trying to turn a lot of cardboard into soil really fast, though, this process wasn't the best bet; the lasagna method would probably do a lot better.

It also demanded a fair amount of water, as the worms liked to be at 70% moisture to be happiest, but it also seemed like it retained a lot of that water as well, and enhanced soil moisture carrying capacity. Pretty important for California these days!

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I just steal bags of Command from work. Rats also love to eat Command and grow to ridiculously large sizes.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
I like to do something similar where I poo poo in the bathtub and then cover it with newspapers like foul lasagna. It’s nice on a night alone with just me and my saxophone.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Thanks for sharing the top secret lasagna recipe for GarfieldEATS OP.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

This is how you fill a hole redneck style, of course someone European pretends it's some advanced technique.

Cardboard. Dirt. Cardboard. Cheaper than dirt and your burn barrel doesn't fill as fast.

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Composting is a bourgeois luxury. I have a few small strawberry plants that I poo poo all over on the regular, and the berries are absolutely delicious.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

love seeing a big hole filled, thanks op

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's a long video so I'm not surprised nobody watched it. But I'm certain nobody has because you fools would definitely have some comments.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I have not watched the video, because I'm literate so I read stuff.

I did a variation of this last week - in general the 'lasagna' approach requires a season of lying fallow, but I was extending an existing garden to plant NOW.

I basically did the same thing, I trimmed down the grass as far as I could, dug a trench most of the way, put up landscaping timbers as a barrier then put down cardboard. The extra step I did was wetting the HELL out of the cardboard, hoping that will keep the moisture, finish the job on the grass, and allow the seedlings to take root - we only planted seeds so we didn't need to cut through the cardboard.

We'll see how it goes. If I need to add more sunny areas to the garden I'll do this in the fall for spring planting, I think the trenchwork requirements would have been lessened in that case.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
life gives me lemons, is there someway I can work them in there? no loving clue what to do with all these lemons

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Shove them in a hole and put cardboard on it

Composting rules

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Add some plastic sheets for nourishing microplastics

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Internet Old One posted:

I like to do something similar where I poo poo in the bathtub and then cover it with newspapers like foul lasagna. It’s nice on a night alone with just me and my saxophone.

AI images did a small derail into making artwork for the story before moving on because they are pretty gross.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4000251&pagenumber=289&perpage=40&userid=0#post531475727

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I dig a hole and pour my cooking oil into it. Should I just pour it into the muchlsh alsgane now

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I’m looking at a recipe for lasagna right now op and it doesn’t have any dirt or any cardboard in it it looks like youve been bamboozled :shrug:

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

STABASS posted:

life gives me lemons, is there someway I can work them in there? no loving clue what to do with all these lemons

How much piss and poo poo do you have lying around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
Hi OP I didn't watch the video or anything but I am planning on composting using the lasagna method this year, composting is cool and gardening is good!