Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

sharp cheddar ez cheese... Lost to the great COVID wars along with the jalapeno flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I really need to find a good Chinese place. The quality of the ones near me crater post covid and never recovered.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

The KFC near me still does these

I tried the remade version a few years ago and they aren't the same as they were in, say, 1990. They used to come on a little yeasty roll with a thinner, less crunchy patty and better mayo.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Moby_Dick posted:

Joe’s O’s. For years I would get a can of that tangy pasta love at Trader Joe’s before taking the L home along with some Oranjeboom beer when I lived in Chicago.

Just the other day, went to my local TJs for the first time since COVID and found out they got rid of it.

Those bastards. Those bastards.

https://www.mashed.com/989956/why-trader-joes-stopped-selling-joes-os/

yeah covid killed their frozen chile relleno too

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I appreciate the thought, but that's for cocktails - the cinnamon spread I was talking about was spread on bread or other baked goods.

edit:

Arivia fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 14, 2023

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ElectricSheep posted:

Fuckin 3 posts in

Like, how does Hormel/Planters not get that they can make mad bank off people like me who will buy a whole rear end case off the shelf if they ever come back
My pet theory for years is that PB Crisps were some rogue exec.'s project to diversify Planters into other markets and got a short-term contract to get the chocolate and graham and peanut butter processing needed for the PB Crisps line, but they either got ousted or someone else at Planters-- probably old as poo poo with a big brim mustache-- was like "we only make nuts here" and shut down the whole line.

By contrast those cheez balls are probably cheap as hell to just grab a factory or two to make, since it's literally mostly air by volume.

What wrinkles my brain is why no one has even tried to just remake PB Crisps because it's just a loving cookie line.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

mind the walrus posted:

By contrast those cheez balls are probably cheap as hell to just grab a factory or two to make, since it's literally mostly air by volume.

I saw a big jar of those UTZ cheese balls in a store for 7 bucks. How can anybody buy that without feeling like an idiot

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

titties posted:

The Arch Deluxe was a good McDonald's burg that you could only get in like 1995. I had just got my driver's license and bought a beater car and i felt extremely grown up driving myself through the lane to pick up my premium hamburger sandwich

I hated the Big N Tasty that those sons of whores replaced it with, on principle. Then, after having been made violently ill the last few times I’d eaten there, I quit McDonald’s altogether in 2001.

Hollismason posted:

It's absolute bullshit that Arby's got rid of its best products.

I still can’t believe they replaced potato cakes with those goddamned crinkle fries.

I was mad when Taco Bell axed the 7-Layer Burrito, but they sorta came correct with the Fiesta Veggie Burrito.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
There was a local place between the subway stop & my apartment, and I would stop by on the way home to grab the absolute best fried catfish w/ mac & cheese I have ever had in my life. Then the owner murdered someone and the place is closed forever. :rip:

As for the more mainstream foods I miss... (btw, there's a whole other thread about this in gently caress You and Dine, did we forget?)

(the new ones are not the same, gently caress that poo poo)

Seriously, how is coffee chocolate chip ice cream a thing but coffee cookies & cream isn't? That confounds & infuriates me.

Stuff I miss that I can't find decent pictures of:
- Mistic raspberry boysenberry soda
- Pepsi Twist
- McDonald's chicken wraps
- strawberry Jarritos
- Five Alive

:stonk:

edit:
Fuuuuuck, that reminded me of Butterfinger BBs :smithicide:

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 14, 2023

Me again.
Oct 19, 2017

DamnCanadian posted:

Blue Bell ice cream is still readily available (especially in the South), but they haven’t made Century Sundae in years. It was the best drat ice cream I’ve ever had.

:( :hf: I used to buy several gallons of this each June? July? whenever it was flavor of the month.

The effervescence of that whipped topping ribbon that cut through the sugar is unmatched in anything in their line today, it's all nasty fake poo poo like Bride's cake and pumpkin gingerbread, lacks solid basics. rip century sundae.

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

- Pepsi Twist

Pepsi Twist was hands-down my favorite soft drink of all time, the perfect summer soda. It might still be available in other countries but the day it disappeared from store shelves around here will live in infamy. The Coke equivalent (which is also discontinued, I think?) was NOWHERE NEAR as good as Pepsi Twist.

I probably told this story before but once upon a time my company was interviewing for a sales exec position and one of the guys that came through was a former Pepsi bigwig. During the interview I launched into minutes-long tirade about Pepsi Twist. He was not amused.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Pepsi Holiday Spice was my jam

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Jones soda's Lemon Drop Dead was also awesome I looked forward to it for Halloween.

There's a 4 pack going for 79.88 on Ebay

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4AqxjeC-Lc

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Haverchuck posted:

I saw a big jar of those UTZ cheese balls in a store for 7 bucks. How can anybody buy that without feeling like an idiot
I have one in my kitchen and I will not be judged

I guess the cheese has to cost something. Look how much a bag of Smartfood (white cheddar popcorn) has gone up to lately

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
You'd have to be an idiot NOT to get the giant cheeseball container. 7 bucks seems like a pretty good deal honestly.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

amaguri posted:

Pepsi Twist was hands-down my favorite soft drink of all time, the perfect summer soda. It might still be available in other countries but the day it disappeared from store shelves around here will live in infamy. The Coke equivalent (which is also discontinued, I think?) was NOWHERE NEAR as good as Pepsi Twist.

I probably told this story before but once upon a time my company was interviewing for a sales exec position and one of the guys that came through was a former Pepsi bigwig. During the interview I launched into minutes-long tirade about Pepsi Twist. He was not amused.

If not for Mistic raspberry boysenberry, I would absolutely agree. PepsiCo introducing a lemon-tinged cola & unceremoniously yanking it out of our hands is just cruel.

Also, :lol::lol::lol:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

This was absolutely my favorite thing about KFC when I was a kid. KFC is such garbage now. I remember when you’d get whole corn on the cob wrapped in foil and that poo poo was so good and buttery. Then they switched to those half cobs because…? Now you get a small cup full of kernels :lol:

Such a lovely cost-cutting thing to do.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

There used to be a burger place in st marks place in manhattan called mark burger that made really good sliders. They also had their own home made ketchup with different flavors like curry and cilantro lime. They also had Guinness milkshakes.

Macatt
May 3, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

I would risk prison and hell for a bag of PB Crisps.

LOL https://pbcrisps.com/

That's unironically the best website I've seen in a long time, just absolutely thorough in providing info and resources on the topic.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

This peanut butter was amazing. It was just slightly crunchy so it still spread like creamy without tearing your bread up.

Everyone I knew loved it too. If you're near a Whole Foods, their self-service grinders turn out that same gritty consistency more or less.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Inzombiac posted:

They have a hot mustard flavor on the market now. Like exactly the kind you get at Chinese restaurants only not as hot.

I love them so much that they will be discontinued immediately.

The mustard Doritos are legit. I’m probably gonna grab a few bags when I go shopping later.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

The absolute pinnacle of chip flavours. I’ve never encountered anything remotely like it.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Whole Foods near me had a sandwich called the Sledgehammer

-pretzel bread
-chipotle turkey
-pepper jack
-grilled red peppers
-chipotle mayo
-arugula

They still kinda make it but with worse bread and post-Bezos WF is much worse in general for all sandwiches pre-made there

The original Snapple Rain. New version isn't the same.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Tahiti Treat. Jookie. Kootenay honey brown ale. Stripes pb&j granola bars. Thunder crunch chips.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I had this one probably a year ago? I think some of these things still exist, just limited availability by market.

For example the internet assures me that Welch's grape soda exists and i can watch people review it on youtube but I'll be damned if i can ever find it

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Paradise Bakery & Cafe. I think it still exists but nowhere near me. Was owned by Panera but was superior thanks to:
a) their Southwest Chicken Caesar Salad (Panera has a similar thing now but it’s a pale imitation)
b) continuing to have the Sierra Turkey Sandwich long after Panera discontinued it
c) free cookie with your meal

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Treecko posted:

You'd have to be an idiot NOT to get the giant cheeseball container. 7 bucks seems like a pretty good deal honestly.

I did once during the time that the Planters Cheez Balls weren't in production, and they all just absorbed the plastic smell from the container and therefore tasted like plastic. Threw them out after getting through half probably.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Harrigan's buffalo chicken salad.

Harrigan's was a bar-and-grill restaurant chain through the Texlahoma area which went belly-up in the early 2000's. Their food was mostly okay to good, but that buffalo chicken salad was GODLIKE.

Apparently the original is still open in Amarillo, but their online menu doesn't even show that salad anymore, so why bother.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mirage posted:

Harrigan's buffalo chicken salad.

Harrigan's was a bar-and-grill restaurant chain through the Texlahoma area which went belly-up in the early 2000's. Their food was mostly okay to good, but that buffalo chicken salad was GODLIKE.

Apparently the original is still open in Amarillo, but their online menu doesn't even show that salad anymore, so why bother.

Could call them, maybe it's a special on Tuesdays or something.

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons
Sir Kensington's discontinued their ketchup, now I need to find a new brand. Zapps Evil Eye chips are also impossible to find near me.

As far as the foods of yesteryear are concerned, I used to go crazy for the Taco Bell chili-cheese burritos. Those and Hi-C Ecto Cooler.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

titties posted:

I had this one probably a year ago? I think some of these things still exist, just limited availability by market.

For example the internet assures me that Welch's grape soda exists and i can watch people review it on youtube but I'll be damned if i can ever find it

Crazy, I only saw it when I was very young. Not seen it in Canada in 30 years.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Charles Bukowski posted:

Crazy, I only saw it when I was very young. Not seen it in Canada in 30 years.

Cross the border into Michigan and smuggle some back, as much as your butt hole can hold

Gorgeous Zan
Apr 13, 2007

New Haven Yacht Club

They're selling a version of this in my local liquor stores. Pre-mixed with vodka. Tastes like you'd expect it to.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

McSpanky posted:

There used to be this multi-grained puff cereal, it was like rice, wheat and corn or something like that? It was a really good mix but they don't make it anymore, I'll be damned if I can remember what it was called.

These were called Triples and they were my favorite cereal when I was really small

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Gorgeous Zan posted:

They're selling a version of this in my local liquor stores. Pre-mixed with vodka. Tastes like you'd expect it to.

I remember it being very red and very sweet.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

el monterey bean three cheese and jalapeno burritos

another victim of the covid pandemic

I guess they really are gone. I checked my local supermarket and the closest thing they have is the bean, single cheese & jalapeno chimichanga in the orange package.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

The name wasn't ringing a bell but the pic did. Those things were amazing.

For me, I miss the old brown sweet and sour sauce at KFC. Later they switched to the generic orange stuff and it just wasn't the same.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Came here to post this. I loved them and would swim through a mile of sewer pipe just to grab another box of them. All the zillions of energy/breakfast/protein bars that exist and none of them are like these.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I miss the Jack-in-the-Box bacon & cheddar potato wedges.

They were always scorching hot, right out of the fryer and just slathered with cheese sauce and crumbled bacon - just about the most unhealthy thing you could eat. But tasty as gently caress, I’d indulge myself about once every six months. Now they’re gone and nobody else makes anything near as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

That stuff was horrible, but little kid me still choked it down, because it was Nintendo.