Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

"Either way, it's going to hurt like crazy."
mini buffalo ranch chicken sandwich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Jolt Cola. Especially the grape flavored but clear “white lightning”

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

These were called Triples and they were my favorite cereal when I was really small

Yes, thank you! Such a basic idea, so tasty.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
Quite a few:

Personal

Restaurant called Pounders in my home town. Mongolian stir fry owned by an old white couple. Had a huge buffet of raw ingredients, you'd fill a bowl, they'd fry it all up for you. Couple things set it apart:

Their peanut sauce...I don't know if it was just the "hom" that you hear about from old woks, but it has this weird-rear end smoky, gritty flavour that I've never experienced before or since with a peanut sauce, or any sauce.

They'd weigh your raw order to charge you, and if it was exactly 1 lb, 2 lb etc I think you'd eat for free? Or maybe you got a free dessert, anyway, it was good fun & I never won.

They sponsored a bunch of kids sports teams, and the walls of the restaurant were completely covered with photos of teams of people dining there. Not an inch without a photo.

Brands

Vanilla Coke is definitely up there for me.

Certs Cool Mint Drops...a small but significant portion of my highschool personality was made up of these mints 😆 I would constantly have multiple boxes on me, and when my friends saw me in the hall they'd always ask "MourningDue, mint?". It felt really good to have "a thing" 😆😆😆

Hidden Treasures cereal. Never tasted anything like them before or since. Perfect crunch, wonderful sweetness. And I do remember the different hidden flavours really tasting like the fruit they were supposed to.

Literally any pop that isn't full-fat coke. Whatever they're trying to do with sweeteners, it just isn't working. I used to buy an assortment of different pops depending on my mood, the weather, etc. Now I just check the cans and if I don't see sugar (which is most times), then I'm not buying it. Biggest loss for me is I think Sprite, used to love it but now it tastes like lovely water. I'm not even really a pop guy, and I know it's awful for me, but let me have it as a treat the way it was.

I used to love KFC, especially the two freak versions, Extra Tasty Crispy and Tender Roast. Everyone I knew at the time said Tender Roast was gross & supermarket rotisserie chicken was better, but I liked how it tasted, kind of like they'd been coated in chicken stock powder before roasting.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Freakies cereal. Sort of like a smaller, cinnamon-ier Cap'n Crunch. They tried to bring them back briefly but they just weren't the same.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Anyone posted these bad boys? From the UK, better when they were in the paper bags and then moved to foil, think they disappeared forever during covid. So loving strong, I remember being high and having a few bags and barely being able to breathe I had so much mustard smell in my nose.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mourning Due posted:

Hidden Treasures cereal. Never tasted anything like them before or since. Perfect crunch, wonderful sweetness. And I do remember the different hidden flavours really tasting like the fruit they were supposed to.
Hidden Treasures was something else. I swore I imagined it for years because it was only around for like 6 months or something.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
I just thought of one. Miss Vickie's Ranch chips. Haven't seen those in a decade.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Mourning Due posted:

Vanilla Coke is definitely up there for me.

Where do you live? I bought a 12- pack of vanilla coke 2 weeks ago for my camping trip

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

titties posted:

Where do you live? I bought a 12- pack of vanilla coke 2 weeks ago for my camping trip

And it even has a "zero" version now. But also a 12 pack is up to ten loving dollars so I am glad I quit drinking soda lol

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

Two beverages I really miss are coconut Yoo-Hoo (I still can't believe at one point Yoo-Hoo was a thing you'd buy in a glass bottle) and Jolt Cola white lighting flavor. The latter basically tasted like dimetapp in soda form it ruled.
I don't know about white lightening, as that's the name of an awful plastic bottle cider you can get here, but i came to post this.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

staberind posted:

I don't know about white lightening, as that's the name of an awful plastic bottle cider you can get here, but i came to post this.

Jolt cola still exists, but it seems to be sold exclusively at dollar stores.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
There was a local pizza place called 4 sisters, it was next to a gas station / convenience store. They had great pizza, and if you got delivery they offered to also get stuff from the store like soda or beer.

I think they got in trouble for selling the beer, because both places folded after a year.

Great pizza.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

It may still exist and we just don't remember the restaurant name, but my immediate family has a very distinct collective memory of a trip we took together to DC when I was a kid where we went to a hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurant and had the best salted fish fried rice we'd had up to that point. We kept going back during that trip.

My parents' tastes have evolved a lot since then - my dad's career took off and they've become big foodies - but we still talk about that rice sometimes. I don't have a lot of good memories of my youth but that one's fine.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

Doc Fission posted:

It may still exist and we just don't remember the restaurant name, but my immediate family has a very distinct collective memory of a trip we took together to DC when I was a kid where we went to a hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurant and had the best salted fish fried rice we'd had up to that point. We kept going back during that trip.

My parents' tastes have evolved a lot since then - my dad's career took off and they've become big foodies - but we still talk about that rice sometimes. I don't have a lot of good memories of my youth but that one's fine.

Any chance you were staying in Virginia? There’s a famous chef who started off in hole in the wall restaurants in that area and had to keep hopping restaurants because of his immigration status.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Chang_(chef)

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

JackBandit posted:

Any chance you were staying in Virginia? There’s a famous chef who started off in hole in the wall restaurants in that area and had to keep hopping restaurants because of his immigration status.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Chang_(chef)

My family was lucky enough to be near one of his early restaurants for a year and it was a huge influence on me and my brother becoming obsessed with food. Chongqing Chicken, Crispy Beef, and especially the Hot and Numbing Beef Roll (tortilla around beef in chili oil/Szechuan oil with shredded cabbage, served cold) :allears:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

hot dog

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone posted a tide pod yet

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I read everyone's posts and no one said

KFC twister wrap
Mcdonald's flatbread sandwich
Mcdonald's salad shaker

And something that hopefully might come back some day: Mcdonald's snack wraps. Even those burger snack wraps were so good.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

I don't give two shits about the oatmeal but I would gladly be three years old and guzzling down a ketchup packet full of that strawberry stuff again.

Also, Domino's twisty bread. gently caress whomever's idea it was to 86 those bad boys.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

XYZAB posted:

I don't give two shits about the oatmeal but I would gladly be three years old and guzzling down a ketchup packet full of that strawberry stuff again.

Loved it as a kid. I might have even mentioned it before, maybe not this thread though

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Yeah these, Pillsbury Space Food Sticks, Tang, and Instant Breakfast were the poo poo when I was a kid. Nothing like aspiring to the lives of laboratory animals!

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Zero VGS posted:

Those are "Sau Sea" brand and I'm not seeing them coming up as available to buy, but they can be reverse engineered:

1) Buy some Bookbinder's Prepared Horseradish, easy to find at most normie supermarkets, mix it 50/50 with ketchup for a better and more cost-effective cocktail sauce than the all-in-one

2) Boil some shrimp, de-shell/de-vein or just buy some precooked if you're lazy

3) Mix them together into a mason jar and can them with a water-bath so they last indefinitely

from a while back but don't do this unless you also miss the taste of botulism and hospital ventilator

edit: specifically #3, though you may be able to safely pressure can it, you'll have to do some research on times and pressures (and it probably won't be very good afterwards)

Neophyte fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 25, 2023

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
big beef tacos, just a hardshell but bigger
volcano tacos/nachos
Shakey's, in general
TMNT cereal, sometimes I get flavor flashbacks of that still
the beef egg rolls from a Chinese place near me that shut down
I can't seem to find Melinda's sticky asian wing sauce anymore, I hope that's only temporary

the saddest option: cooking from people who are now dead

the strawberry swirl hard candy: you can get something similar at dollar tree.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Light Gun Man posted:

volcano tacos/nachos

I have news, Light Gun Man, if that’s even your real name…

it’s coming back

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Those ninja turtles green colored vanilla creme pies were good, right? I remember them being good

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
There was a specific brand of old fashioned sour cream doughnuts at 7-11 that were just amazing but then got replaced by whoever does their in house stuff in the glass case. Nowhere near as good, and you got a dozen of em in a nice plastic case.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Chief McHeath posted:

I have news, Light Gun Man, if that’s even your real name…

it’s coming back

:hellyeah:

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013

Oh lord god almighty, I haven't thought about those for like 30 years. I feel like there was a fad for breakfast foods where you squeezed gunk out of a little plastic bag and toaster strudels survived and these things went to Brand Extension Valhalla.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Grand Forks North Dakota dive bar, Parrot's Cay, makes the best wings I've ever had. I don't know if that's some rose tinted glasses from my college days but absolutely every wing I've had since is chasing the dragon.

I lived in Leiden in the Netherlands and used to drink coffee at this bakery called Snijers. One day one of the guys running the place was like do you want this special caramel muffin? I was like gently caress yeah I'll have a caramel muffin. This was the best muffin I've ever eaten. It was incredible. When I went back to this bakery I asked the waiter, a different person, for the caramel muffin and they were very confused. Didn't know what it was, completely sure they didn't have and don't make them. On a later visit I saw the original waiter who offered me that cursed muffin. He too claimed he didn't know what it was and told me they didn't make them. No muffin ever comes close to it.

I would like a plate of the wings and the caramel muffin please

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Grand Forks North Dakota dive bar, Parrot's Cay, makes the best wings I've ever had. I don't know if that's some rose tinted glasses from my college days but absolutely every wing I've had since is chasing the dragon.

I lived in Leiden in the Netherlands and used to drink coffee at this bakery called Snijers. One day one of the guys running the place was like do you want this special caramel muffin? I was like gently caress yeah I'll have a caramel muffin. This was the best muffin I've ever eaten. It was incredible. When I went back to this bakery I asked the waiter, a different person, for the caramel muffin and they were very confused. Didn't know what it was, completely sure they didn't have and don't make them. On a later visit I saw the original waiter who offered me that cursed muffin. He too claimed he didn't know what it was and told me they didn't make them. No muffin ever comes close to it.

Did he give you a weed muffin

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Alte Kraehe posted:

Things I remember that never come up in these threads.

At one point in the 90s, RC Cola had something called RC Premium Draft or something which was supposed to be high end RC in bottles that were supposed to look like beer bottles. I was so goddamn excited for these and I feel like they lasted less than a month.

Rc Cola Draft. It was really good. I think my city may have been a test market because it lasted a while here.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Those ninja turtles green colored vanilla creme pies were good, right? I remember them being good

They were probably horrible but to an 11-year-old they were some serious gourmet poo poo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Strange twist on the ghost restaurant ghost story

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

I ate many of these. Also the powdered instant breakfast packets mixed with milk. One or two years of high school was started with those.

For me- Blueberry Morning cereal

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Big rear end On Fire posted:

I ate many of these. Also the powdered instant breakfast packets mixed with milk. One or two years of high school was started with those.

For me- Blueberry Morning cereal
Oh man, that reminds me of these.

I first saw them maybe 10 years ago? Like cinnamon toast crunch but blueberry flavored. Told my gf about how tasty they were recently and found out theyre discontinued. Says back by popular demand but I haven't seen em.

edit: looks like walmart might have em!!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Some company still makes Tahitian Treat, i think it's Grace.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

"Market dictates the value, Charlie"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11WZlv_mstE

pacerwpg
Apr 18, 2023

Pictures on Google still look legit. If I ever head to Grand Forks I might check it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
There are a lot of Grand Forks.