Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I was always under the assumption that everyone has a voice in their head when thinking. Like talking to yourself internally. Apparently there are other ways people's brains work when thinking? I've heard of the internal monologue which is how I think, and I guess some people think in colors and shapes or some poo poo?

How do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
like this OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI--VgG9AtA

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'm conscious of different areas of my brain working in different ways, sometimes framing thoughts through language can help clarify them, otherwise working in terms of more abstract feelings or notions is sufficient

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I try not to

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I only have internal monologue voice when I'm not moving, not being physically active. So when I'm sitting, reading and typing, and remembering things or going over things in my mind.

If I am doing a physical activity, not like just going for a walk, but if I was driving a fork lift or unpacking a van or doing a fire drill, I don't have it, its visual, thought images, and such.

Wee fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 14, 2023

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Idk I pretty much just have the wii home menu music running through my head 24/7

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Nooner posted:

Idk I pretty much just have the wii home menu music running through my head 24/7

Goddamnit nooner :argh:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
using brain + dick

Grumblepuff
Dec 29, 2018

You think you taught me a lesson, babe
Betcha think you "got through to me"
No one gets through here anymore
Right
Flashes of arguments in a Japanese C-suite office, circa 1985, angrily slamming hands on tables, kouheis looking despondent. A flashpoint, and the fistfight shifts into my kindergarten classroom, the air reeking of Play-Doh and apple juice. I turn around and see the beach and the cliff and her voice saying, "I wish it was you instead" as I walk to the edge, and then I finally remember what I named my Neopet dragon in 2005.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
in loops

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tHPsphg9xc

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Very well tyvm

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

thinking is self defeat

you must act

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alAtUNaxtPs

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
https://youtu.be/vpvMtuzA57c

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
It's a passive act

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

like this op

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
in the voice of garfield tbh

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~
A disjointed stream of familiar sounds, voices, sentence fragments, and images

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I try to avoid headaches OP

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Peggy Edson posted:

I was always under the assumption that everyone has a voice in their head when thinking. Like talking to yourself internally. Apparently there are other ways people's brains work when thinking? I've heard of the internal monologue which is how I think, and I guess some people think in colors and shapes or some poo poo?

How do you think?

Think about feral humans who grew up without ever acquiring language. They can't think with a voice that says words. That's why they act more like animals (because animals don't have complex language either).

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I think, therefor I ain't

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I add 'reddit' to the end so I find a discussion of what I want to think about

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
My brain processes the world through the nonsense songs it's constantly making up.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Always got a bit of a monolog going, though it switches between my L1 and L2 depending on what I need to think on

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Been Thinkin how you don’t see much manual stimulation in film

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

thinking in words is both a gift and a handicap, which is why I prefer to dabble in psychosomatic symbols, eye floaters, and barely perceptible temporal distortions.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

People who learned to speak later in life have said their inner monologue was more like visual pictures rather than a voice. Deaf people have described their inner monologue as hand signals if they know sign language. And some people have weird variations like fictional people having a conversation in their heads all the time. :iiam:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Thinking hurts, so I try not to.

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

"Either way, it's going to hurt like crazy."
i used to think visually, like i would imagine out sentences ahead of time like a teleprompter and 'read them', what changed was I started to practice speech writing at the rate of speech (complete with imaginary motor movements) and that sort of became permanent. I keep on thinking if I take stimulants for adhd again I might have the vigilance to speed up from speech that is locked in concert.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Mostly in abstract concepts, emotions, symbols and memories. Sometimes in language, but it takes effort to do so and doesn't happen automatically. Thinking in language is slow as gently caress and feels pretty burdensome, but it does have some advantages like being more precise and organized

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Sophy Wackles posted:

People who learned to speak later in life have said their inner monologue was more like visual pictures rather than a voice. Deaf people have described their inner monologue as hand signals if they know sign language. And some people have weird variations like fictional people having a conversation in their heads all the time. :iiam:

brains are insane

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Seriouspost, though, I have an inner discussion with myself if I need to figure out something right away. I also visualize items like Tetris and conclude how each piece fits into each other for spatial awareness.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If you hear a voice in your head you may be possessed by a demon. Repeat prayers and possibky self flaggelate until it stops

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I have an inner monologue, but it's soundless and I I don't visualize the words. It's kinda hard to describe. But I'm not a person who has pre-conceived ideas of what characters should sound like.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

You know the loud clackclackclack noise that a power drill makes when its clutch disengages? Yeah it’s just that constantly

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I generally think in words, but occasionally am aware of something like a more primal layer of thought blobs that need translating into speech. They’re like feelings with foggy meanings. Articulating them isn’t always straightforward. Kind of like when you know what you’re trying to say, but can’t find the matching words.

Not quite the same thing, but another example might be how you know how a piece of music makes you feel, but putting that into words usually requires more analysis.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Peggy Edson posted:

How do you think?

i talked to my brother about this and we both had different versions of the internal monologue but yea... it seems some rare people don't have one. Pretty nuts right?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Every piece of inner dialogue I have is in the form of an elaborate stage play, usually a musical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Way too loving much how can I slow it down???