Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Does everyone else have a freakishly good memory for music?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

i have perfect recollections of every one of your mom's a capella performances

i had a front row seat :cool:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I stopped thinking OP. I just Google everything.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

99% of the time I have a song stuck in my head playing just like a certain verse. For weeks on end, then a switch flips and it turns off or switches to another song. Often songs I haven't listened to in years. And then I go listen to the song and find that it is exactly as my brain has been playing it, but that doesn't get it unstuck either

stephen_falken
Mar 28, 2023

by the sex ghost

Peggy Edson posted:

99% of the time I have a song stuck in my head playing just like a certain verse. For weeks on end, then a switch flips and it turns off or switches to another song. Often songs I haven't listened to in years. And then I go listen to the song and find that it is exactly as my brain has been playing it, but that doesn't get it unstuck either

I have music playing in my head 100% of the time - oftentimes multiple things at once. Right now it's a song from an Alexei Sayle episode from 1988 ('It's a Funny Old World') and 'All Compasses Go Wild' by Close Lobsters. I also have misophonia; if it's silent and gets erratically interrupted I get almost a physical pain. I can't stand background noise when talking on the phone, etc. I've spent so much of my life listening carefully to music things like tone, balance and reverb that I can't turn it off now.

But to the original point, I think in a few ways. Instinctual things aren't vocalized in my head, I just do something sometimes. Sometimes I think in speech, but often it's in sound or color or smell - smell is the best for memory or familiarization. I imagine I'm grossly normal except for the sound thing. Here's a dead baby.

Seth Edit: it was exactly what it said

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 17, 2023

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

What the gently caress?

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

"Either way, it's going to hurt like crazy."
I used to focus myself to turn my mind off and now I have problems with sustained thinking.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

I can recognize a lot of songs by the first 2-3 drum beats, in some cases literal drum beats before any other instruments start playing.

I am the complete opposite for anything visual. I could spend the entire day inside of say a clothing store, and as soon as I leave, my brain abstracts my memories of it, so that the next time I go back inside the store, it's almost completely different from how I remember it.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
I tried to think about how I think, which led me to trying to metaphorically visualize how I think, and I fell into a kind of infinite loop for a few minutes until I sneezed and popped back up out of it. Thank you pollen allergies.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Why is there a picture of a dead baby? I've been thinking about that a lot recently.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

I just be like, where's the poo poo, who go the poo poo. Then if there ain't nothing to be found, I be like look at this poo poo. gently caress this poo poo.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I basically have a monologue in my head all the time. Sometimes when I’m trying to understand something there is an accompanying 3D visualization of the thing that I can rotate around in my brain, or some kind of movie playing in my head. When my brain is trying to solidify a concept the monologue turns into explaining the thing to some listener, though they never respond, it’s totally one sided.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Also I distinctly remember when my internal monologue flipped to English from my first language. It’s a hosed up experience.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013

Peggy Edson posted:

I was always under the assumption that everyone has a voice in their head when thinking. Like talking to yourself internally. Apparently there are other ways people's brains work when thinking? I've heard of the internal monologue which is how I think, and I guess some people think in colors and shapes or some poo poo?

How do you think?

I don't usually have a voice in my head while thinking, and mostly for simple stuff like, "gotta get toothpaste today." Anything more complicated is pretty much just concepts-- I get pretty bad aphasia sometimes, and say stuff like "uh you know bean things" for "chickpeas." I think in pictures even less, I suck at picturing things in my mind.

A lot of the time when I'm not thinking of much in particular, I'll have a random phase pop into my head, often repeatedly. Recently, I've had the phrase "his brother's a complete prick, but..." doing that, without any connection to any specific thoughts or anything in my personal life. I don't really know man whose brother is even a partial prick except my dad, and I have seen that uncle basically twice since the 80s. I'll also have random numbers pop into my head for no reason as well sometimes, usually biggish amounts of money like "a hundred seventy thousand dollars," but sometimes just poo poo like "three tenths."

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

olives black posted:

i have perfect recollections of every one of your mom's a capella performances

i had a front row seat :cool:

Backstage was a lot more fun.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I think to myself in plural, I'll be like "We gotta do this" then "We gotta think about" it's like the royal we I dunno why I do this

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I don't believe people who say they can only think in language and always have a monologue. You wouldn't make it alive through a single day if that was true. Like, let's say you are on the way to work and come across a poisonous snake. Do you start talking to yourself like this "Oh noes, there is a snake in my way! It's very dangerous and I need to be careful now. What are my choices in this situation? I can run, or I can .... gently caress, it bit me! I've been bitten by a poisonous snake while having an elaborate and lengthy verbal monologue in my head. This is not good, I'm probably gonna die now!"? No, you think the situation through in milliseconds without a single word and decide to knock it out with a kick to the head before it has a chance to bite you.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Usually when I come across a snake my consciousness pulls out of my body into a third person view looking at me from a slanted angle and then I have to make decisions about the snake using a menu and we take turns striking at each other.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

GABA ghoul posted:

I don't believe people who say they can only think in language and always have a monologue. You wouldn't make it alive through a single day if that was true. Like, let's say you are on the way to work and come across a poisonous snake. Do you start talking to yourself like this "Oh noes, there is a snake in my way! It's very dangerous and I need to be careful now. What are my choices in this situation? I can run, or I can .... gently caress, it bit me! I've been bitten by a poisonous snake while having an elaborate and lengthy verbal monologue in my head. This is not good, I'm probably gonna die now!"? No, you think the situation through in milliseconds without a single word and decide to knock it out with a kick to the head before it has a chance to bite you.

Do you... do you think an inner monologue is the same thing as, like, an audiobook?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i walked a tight but very cambered corner i can take on my motorcycle at like 70 kph and on foot it doesnt make sense

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

im an expert skier, and when i go out its always a cost benefit. i hike into the good poo poo.

ive almost done a yard sale down the entire soudan coulaur in whistler. i was picking my lines right, but caught an edge doing hop turns and then gravity takes over.

i was lucky my edges caught and sent me back up the hill and i was able to fall towards the mountain.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 15, 2023

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i “think” this thread should be gassed op!!!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Sound constantly babbles in my head. My own monologue, music, other people's voices. Sometimes other people's voices but without words. Their accent/cadence etc but it's just sound. It's drat noisy in here.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
thinking is a lot like making GBS threads, you push but sometimes it comes out, sometimes it doesn't

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

if you are good you just do

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 15, 2023

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
It looks kind of like a cloud with words and little clouds pointing to my head but when I speak its like a smooth bubble with a pointy bit pointing to my mouth.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

Do you... do you think an inner monologue is the same thing as, like, an audiobook?

I dunno, man. I don't think I have an inner monologue in the same way most people do(I'm beginning to suspect that I'm actually a Chinese room and don't have a soul), so I have no idea how that works. I can certainly think orders of magnitude faster than I can talk and as soon as language gets involved everything comes to a crawl. So I can't imagine how you can think a situation through with language alone in a couple of milliseconds. Makes no sense to me

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Constant drum heavy music and an internal monologue, and sometimes whatever the gently caress that is generates thoughts and stuff

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

GABA ghoul posted:

I dunno, man. I don't think I have an inner monologue in the same way most people do(I'm beginning to suspect that I'm actually a Chinese room and don't have a soul), so I have no idea how that works. I can certainly think orders of magnitude faster than I can talk and as soon as language gets involved everything comes to a crawl. So I can't imagine how you can think a situation through with language alone in a couple of milliseconds. Makes no sense to me

your brain is unique and shadowy government agencies want to capture you for study

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
i have an inner voice but i know that my brain is thinking and doing a bunch of other stuff while i'm only processing a small part of that. i don't mean i'm like super brilliant or anything, a lot of it is honestly probably just like junk and pattern recognition, or trying to process and create context to just whatever it thinks might be important. i think we all just have a bunch of white noise in our brains that we've learned to tune out and we develop some kind of inner dialogue to help sort through and direct some of it.

one reason i believe this is because i briefly took some medication that made me acutely aware of a bunch of dumb random thoughts and observations i was having, and it was becoming an effort to not just say whatever random poo poo was passing through my head. i mean there are other things like i will have an opinion on something without having had previously or currently having had to "verbalized it" to myself. sometimes it's poorly formed and other times it's not, but the feeling i get is we have a bunch of just nebulous clusters of information that you've been forming that are in various states of being ready to be dumped out when you're ready to process it. it's like the brain is thinking and moving three steps ahead of whatever your "front" conscious is aware of, if that makes sense.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

GABA ghoul posted:

Ok yes this is true but I'm not talking about instinctual or pre programed situations. There's a lot more to thought than a monologue. Driving a car is a neural pathway carved out when you learned to drive and you run the program when driving. You don't think about the operation of the car beyond where you're going.

I'm pretty much specifically talking about the process of pondering and processing.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
I think OP is referring to what happens here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neocortex

"You" are "there." It is only functionally linked to other portions of the brain, which is like a fleshy layer cake with the earliest developed cognitive centers (what people might call the lizard brain) as the bottom and the more specialized organs as the top. Our thinking access to the information processed by these ancestral centers is more like a two-way conversation than a single system. In a lovely ML analogy you might say that the various models are passing their embeddings around; compressing raw information into denser representations but at the same time leaving their mark in the process as they pass them on for further analysis.

Evidence from goons aside, part of what makes primates so successful is the neocortex's extension of language use and theory of mind. It makes sense then that the other higher order processes it models might use those tools, i.e. language.

Or at least this is what my poor memory of reading a bunch of Andy Clark and Churchland and etc. say, I just hear a bunch of songs in my head all day

Honestly though it might be more interesting to know what corvids think. They are probably the smartest things on earth next to our close ancestors, and corvids especially have a very developed https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nidopallium, a structure seemingly analogous to the prefrontal cortex but with a distinct evolutionary history. Actually extant alien intelligence!

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Mostly what goes on in my head is that calypso kid saying “it’s fuckin minging” over and over again

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Soundless voices that scream endlessly.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
As long as everyone thinks I'm smarter than them, I'll think any way.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

your brain is unique and shadowy government agencies want to capture you for study

It's actually a thing though. A non-negligible part of the population claims to not have inner monologue/speech at all

Peggy Edson posted:

I'm pretty much specifically talking about the process of pondering and processing.

Me too. Pondering and processing using language/inner speech is slow as gently caress for me and takes deliberate effort and attention to do. I genuinely don't get how people use it automatically and effortlessly to think in every day life, so I guess an audiobook is the only way I can conceptualize the whole idea cause it's the only way I experience it. If people can use language/inner speech to do normal thinking that's wild to me and I will probably never truly understand it.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Like this http://www.ape-o-naut.org/innuendo/

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
What I wanna know is how animals think. I think the theory is they think in pictures. I've also heard that some autistic people think that way, I think it was temple grandin that said that.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dixville posted:

What I wanna know is how animals think. I think the theory is they think in pictures. I've also heard that some autistic people think that way, I think it was temple grandin that said that.

They think only in the latest trap beats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
lil baby just out there saying what the birds are thinking