Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Long story short, I interview people at my company, as part of my job. I want to be a little insightful, and a little frivolous. The goal is to spread awareness about some of the work being done, humanize the teams, put faces to names, etc.

These are not questions for a new-hire process, this is for existing employees, so no "how many marbles would fit in this room?" type questions, etc.

I am comfortable with coming up with the insightful questions, now I want a stock of good non-sequiturs to throw in as well.

examples that might help clarify:
  • Does a straw have one hole or two?
  • Floss then brush, or brush then floss?
  • Would you rather hang out with a guy named Rob or a guy named Chuck?
  • Pineapple on pizza - yay or nay?

This is a surprisingly hard thing to google search for, so I'm asking here and hoping there are some favorites that come up. I think of stuff randomly and try to jot it down, but there's always more out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I don't understand what it is you're trying to do. Is this for an internal newsletter or something? Are the answers to these frivolous questions going to be shared or are they just meant to be ice-breakers? Either way, if I were asked any of those sample questions you listed I would be annoyed and confused. Except the pineapple on pizza one: that one's just annoying.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i'm not sure why i would care about any of my fellow employees answer to those questions, they are frivolous to the point of just being a waste of time really. i'd rather see questions and answers about what people do outside of work, what their other interests are, etc.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Even for, like, a silly newsletter these questions put a lot of pressure on the interviewee to be witty and most of the time you’ll get an answer that doesn’t say so much about the interviewee’s personality than about their ability to manage a weird interviewer’s weird question. It’s almost better to ask something boring and basic like their favorite dish or topics that are close to their heart.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
You people are boring. I work a boring as gently caress job so off the wall poo poo is appreciated. My general favorites are

What's your favorite cereal mascot?
What's your spirit animal?
How many pigeons could you reasonably carry at once?
If you could be a kitchen utensil which one would you be?
How many siege weapons is too many?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Hotel Kpro posted:

You people are boring. I work a boring as gently caress job so off the wall poo poo is appreciated. My general favorites are

What's your favorite cereal mascot?
What's your spirit animal?
How many pigeons could you reasonably carry at once?
If you could be a kitchen utensil which one would you be?
How many siege weapons is too many?

hah, thanks. We do some good background, work insight related questions and then throw in a couple non-sequiturs at the end. I think some have the impression the whole interview is nonsense questions.

First interview with the VP went out today, good reaction. Apparently there was some spirited debate in the comments on the straw question.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
so like, are you into profits? uh.......how about efficiency?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
What's your favorite bathroom?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I usually ask the following:

Consider this statement: Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaquaqua with white beard quaquaquaqua outside time without extension who from the heights of divine apathia divine athambia divine aphasia loves us dearly with some exceptions for reasons unknown but time will tell and suffers like the divine Miranda with those who for reasons unknown but time will tell are plunged in torment plunged in fire whose fire flames if that continues and who can doubt it will fire the firmament that is to say blast hell to heaven so blue still and calm so calm with a calm which even though intermittent is better than nothing but not so fast and considering what is more that as a result of the labours left unfinished crowned by the Acacacacademy of Anthropopopometry of Essy-in-Possy of Testew and Cunard it is established beyond all doubt all other doubt than that which clings to the labours of men that as a result of the labours unfinished of Testew and Cunard it is established as hereinafter but not so fast for reasons unknown that as a result of the public works of Puncher and Wattmann it is established beyond all doubt that in view of the labours of Fartov and Belcher left unfinished for reasons unknown of Testew and Cunard left unfinished it is established what many deny that man in Possy of Testew and Cunard that man in Essy that man in short that man in brief in spite of the strides of alimentation and defecation is seen to waste and pine waste and pine and concurrently simultaneously what is more for reasons unknown in spite of the strides of physical culture the practice of sports such as tennis football running cycling swimming flying floating riding gliding conating camogie skating tennis of all kinds dying flying sports of all sorts autumn summer winter winter tennis of all kinds hockey of all sorts penicilline and succedanea in a word I resume and concurrently simultaneously for reasons unknown to shrink and dwindle in spite of the tennis I resume flying gliding golf over nine and eighteen holes tennis of all sorts in a word for reasons unknown in Feckham Peckham Fulham Clapham namely concurrently simultaneously what is more for reasons unknown but time will tell to shrink and dwindle I resume Fulham Clapham in a word the dead loss per caput since the death of Bishop Berkeley being to the tune of one inch four ounce per caput approximately by and large more or less to the nearest decimal good measure round figures stark naked in the stockinged feet in Connemara in a word for reasons unknown no matter what matter the facts are there and considering what is more much more grave that in the light of the labours lost of Steinweg and Peterman it appears what is more much more grave that in the light the light the light of the labours lost of Steinweg and Peterman that in the plains in the mountains by the seas by the rivers running water running fire the air is the same and then the earth namely the air and then the earth in the great cold the great dark the air and the earth abode of stones in the great cold alas alas in the year of their Lord six hundred and something the air the earth the sea the earth abode of stones in the great deeps the great cold an sea on land and in the air I resume for reasons unknown in spite of the tennis the facts are there but time will tell I resume alas alas on on in short in fine on on abode of stones who can doubt it I resume but not so fast I resume the skull to shrink and waste and concurrently simultaneously what is more for reasons unknown in spite of the tennis on on the beard the flames the tears the stones so blue so calm alas alas on on the skull the skull the skull the skull in Connemara in spite of the tennis the labours abandoned left unfinished graver still abode of stones in a word I resume alas alas abandoned unfinished the skull the skull in Connemara in spite of the tennis the skull alas the stones Cunard tennis... the stones... so calm... Cunard... unfinished...

Do you agree or disagree? Explain your reasoning.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
AI courses use alignment charts of sorts to determine if something is a sandwich to teach categorization. You could ask: "how do you define a sandwich? Is a hot dog a sandwich? How about a choco-taco? What about pizza?"

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Is Mario a superhero?

Why isn’t a chocolate muffin a cupcake?

What is a fact about you that would interest no one?

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
I got hit with a "Take [Company Name]'s acronym and find a word that describes yourself for each letter" and was so stunned by the inanity of the question that I froze up on the last letter and couldn't think of a single thing. Needless to say, I didn't get the job.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Not really a real interview as I was told point blank I’d be keeping the job and was infact helping my boss to hire other (but we had to reinterview yearly)

How have you improved and health and safety factor in your sex dungeon Rob?

I answered: added lube.

Huttan
May 15, 2013
We have this comic posted at our office, and our boss does ask the "is a hotdog a sandwich" question:

https://existentialcomics.com/comic/268

This links a NY state tax bulletin that says, yes, it is a sandwich:
https://cuberule.com/

I claim that a hotdog is a taco.

This is a state agency and we deal with politicians all the time. Anyone too serious is going to have a breakdown.

Another question we ask has to do with "customers" who want impossible things. But that's more about how you can handle them or not.

A .NET question that I've encountered before is usually asked as a trivia question: "can you have 2 functions in .NET that take the same argument and differ only by return type?". My response is always "do you want the interview-question-type-of-answer or do you really want to do this?" Usually this is one of the phone screens and I've always heard them lurch awake and to attention at that answer.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

If you want to start a war (and given the pineapple question, you might be) ask very innocuous things about the kinds of pets people keep.

Like if they get purebred animals vs pound rescues, and why. Are cats or dogs cooler? Which is smarter? Do you like big or small pets better? If you don't keep animals, do you keep plants?

All of these will be contentious for some loving reason, but you will at least out the office psycho that can't empathize with anything different than them.

This psycho will likely get a raise and a promotion soon, so be in their good graces.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Huttan posted:

A .NET question that I've encountered before is usually asked as a trivia question: "can you have 2 functions in .NET that take the same argument and differ only by return type?". My response is always "do you want the interview-question-type-of-answer or do you really want to do this?" Usually this is one of the phone screens and I've always heard them lurch awake and to attention at that answer.
What's the "right" answer to this supposed to be? Serms to me that any kind of casting function would qualify.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Pronounce "gif" for me

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Asehujiko posted:

What's the "right" answer to this supposed to be? Serms to me that any kind of casting function would qualify.

It gives a build error if two same-name methods take the same args. But the post didn't actually say they had to have the same name. :v:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It gives a build error if two same-name methods take the same args. But the post didn't actually say they had to have the same name. :v:
Oh, so the worst kind of trick question where the gotcha is that the question didn't explicitly stated you weren't loving up in an unrelated way so you're expected to assume you are.

I liked it better in my head when the solution was "don't overthink things and say casting a whatever to two different things".

Thread content: I got asked if I had planned out what my progression of cars would be throughout the various lease budget levels. This seemed highly presumptuous to answer in a job interview and I'm also not a car person so I had no idea what to say beyond "something that gets me from A to B". Luckily my interviewers were too enthusiastic about their own lease cars to wait for an answer and spent the last part of the interview talking about their own future lease plans.

Asehujiko fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 6, 2023

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
My latest one:

If you had to give up either corn and all corn derived products or potatoes and potato derived products which would it be?

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Hotel Kpro posted:

My latest one:

If you had to give up either corn and all corn derived products or potatoes and potato derived products which would it be?

"corn derived products" includes basically all food in america, so that's probably not the one I'm giving up.

I'll miss french fries, but I'll still have bourbon.

Huttan
May 15, 2013

Asehujiko posted:

What's the "right" answer to this supposed to be? Seems to me that any kind of casting function would qualify.

You can't do it in a high level .NET language - which is the interview answer.

If you really wanted to do it, you have to write IL-Code. An open source project that does this is Object Listview. It uses reflection and generates IL Code on the fly. We were not able to use this component because the license had a clause that said "no weapons of mass destruction". While the national engineering lab that I was working at did not make nuclear bombs, other labs of the Department of Energy build and own America's nukes. The Department of Defense leases the nukes.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
What would your progression of nukes be through various lease budget levels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Who is John Galt?
If they can't respond correctly from memory, sever. It might take 12 years, but you'll find the perfect fit eventually.