Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Huttan posted:

A .NET question that I've encountered before is usually asked as a trivia question: "can you have 2 functions in .NET that take the same argument and differ only by return type?". My response is always "do you want the interview-question-type-of-answer or do you really want to do this?" Usually this is one of the phone screens and I've always heard them lurch awake and to attention at that answer.
What's the "right" answer to this supposed to be? Serms to me that any kind of casting function would qualify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It gives a build error if two same-name methods take the same args. But the post didn't actually say they had to have the same name. :v:
Oh, so the worst kind of trick question where the gotcha is that the question didn't explicitly stated you weren't loving up in an unrelated way so you're expected to assume you are.

I liked it better in my head when the solution was "don't overthink things and say casting a whatever to two different things".

Thread content: I got asked if I had planned out what my progression of cars would be throughout the various lease budget levels. This seemed highly presumptuous to answer in a job interview and I'm also not a car person so I had no idea what to say beyond "something that gets me from A to B". Luckily my interviewers were too enthusiastic about their own lease cars to wait for an answer and spent the last part of the interview talking about their own future lease plans.

Asehujiko fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 6, 2023