Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huttan
May 15, 2013
We have this comic posted at our office, and our boss does ask the "is a hotdog a sandwich" question:

https://existentialcomics.com/comic/268

This links a NY state tax bulletin that says, yes, it is a sandwich:
https://cuberule.com/

I claim that a hotdog is a taco.

This is a state agency and we deal with politicians all the time. Anyone too serious is going to have a breakdown.

Another question we ask has to do with "customers" who want impossible things. But that's more about how you can handle them or not.

A .NET question that I've encountered before is usually asked as a trivia question: "can you have 2 functions in .NET that take the same argument and differ only by return type?". My response is always "do you want the interview-question-type-of-answer or do you really want to do this?" Usually this is one of the phone screens and I've always heard them lurch awake and to attention at that answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huttan
May 15, 2013

Asehujiko posted:

What's the "right" answer to this supposed to be? Seems to me that any kind of casting function would qualify.

You can't do it in a high level .NET language - which is the interview answer.

If you really wanted to do it, you have to write IL-Code. An open source project that does this is Object Listview. It uses reflection and generates IL Code on the fly. We were not able to use this component because the license had a clause that said "no weapons of mass destruction". While the national engineering lab that I was working at did not make nuclear bombs, other labs of the Department of Energy build and own America's nukes. The Department of Defense leases the nukes.