Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

FakePoet posted:

I know we joke about this every year (or "joke", if you prefer), but have they ever said why they do it this way?

I know sometimes they have to re-roll, and maybe that would be too confusing for some?

Its being actively audited and how they do it they have to draw frequently. They also make everyone sign off on it before its ready. It honestly makes sense to do the actual drawing in a more controlled environment vs trying to make a bunch of pomp about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

Hirsute posted:

For some reason I am like 100% sure the Spurs are getting this

drat maybe I should get into sports gambling???

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Yoooooo

https://youtu.be/qxw2FZBd7aY

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Rigged to keep Spurs from moving to Austin but I’ll take it

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I would have almost rather not risen to No. 2 and gotten teased by that, only to get crushed. Emphasis on "almost," because I know that's irrational, but man we've just barely missed out on so many cornerstone franchise guys in this way

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Paul Zuvella posted:

Brandon Miller to charlotte just feels right for some reason

Him being a criminal? Yeah I hate it. gently caress. I hope they trade the pick as i don't want a murderer and a spouse abuser on my team

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Scoot/Dame backcourt? :shobon:

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I wish I was loving dead

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak6oqpkeI_8

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Brogeoisie posted:

Him being a criminal? Yeah I hate it. gently caress. I hope they trade the pick as i don't want a murderer and a spouse abuser on my team

Literally my nightmare scenario

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
gently caress this

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

did the celtics get wemby?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

Its being actively audited and how they do it they have to draw frequently. They also make everyone sign off on it before its ready. It honestly makes sense to do the actual drawing in a more controlled environment vs trying to make a bunch of pomp about it.

The real thing is boring as gently caress because they draw numbers and look up a giant chart of who owns what number combinations

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

RumbleFish posted:

I would have almost rather not risen to No. 2 and gotten teased by that, only to get crushed. Emphasis on "almost," because I know that's irrational, but man we've just barely missed out on so many cornerstone franchise guys in this way

Scoot or Miller are both going to be very good.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lockback posted:

I don't remember what year it was but I remember Ben Golliver talking once about how the team that won it also won the second and third picks too or something like that (which I guess makes sense). so they had to keep pulling.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
Spurs have a great strategy of taking for all time big men, other teams hate it!

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
lmao

https://old.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/13jm5iy/espn_accidentally_leaked_spurs_1_check_the_bottom/

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

The real thing is boring as gently caress because they draw numbers and look up a giant chart of who owns what number combinations

And if the number combination is no longer valid they have to do it again. It's not good TV.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Can't wait for Cam Whitmore or whoever the gently caress is at 5

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

So Pop isn’t retiring soon I would guess

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

Lockback posted:

Oh, I have zero interest in pomp. As is, the lead-up is tedious even if the guy actually announcing them, to his credit, always seems like he's late for a doctor's appointment.

Guess I'm just surprised there's not a feed/stream somewhere for the true sickos. Not worth the effort, I suppose.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

FakePoet posted:

I know we joke about this every year (or "joke", if you prefer), but have they ever said why they do it this way?

I know sometimes they have to re-roll, and maybe that would be too confusing for some?

There are a bunch of reasons - there are like 1000 lotto ball combinations so it'd be harder to track who the winner is, the #1 pick would be revealed first so it'd kill a bunch of suspense for TV, and sometimes the same team's combination gets picked multiple times so they have to reset

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's wemby's uncle situation

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
so who's the 4th best guy in the draft who wont help lift Houston out of disjointed nothingness (now coached by a sex pest!)

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/n1sh1b/status/1658630851796819970

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Spacebump posted:

I can't believe the Mavs were allowed to keep their pick.

gradey dick era begins

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

toggle posted:

Scoot/Dame backcourt? :shobon:

Dame isn't interested in a rebuild though, this might be the year he finally demands a trade out.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

fast cars loose anus posted:

so who's the 4th best guy in the draft who wont help lift Houston out of disjointed nothingness (now coached by a sex pest!)

Thompson Twin

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Lockback posted:

Scoot or Miller are both going to be very good.

They said the same thing about Michael Kidd Gilchrist (anthony davis) and Emeka Okafor (Dwight Howard)

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Scoot will be a fun backcourt with Lamelo if Charlotte goes the obvious route

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Brogeoisie posted:

They said the same thing about Michael Kidd Gilchrist (anthony davis) and Emeka Okafor (Dwight Howard)

Wasn't Greg Oden a can't miss potentially generational talent? (albeit he did have health issues going in)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PULwKP0rehI

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

fart simpson posted:

did the celtics get wemby?

yes. congrats!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Brogeoisie posted:

Well don't draft those two guys again and you'll be fine.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The gently caress we supposed to do with 4.

God damnit.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

if charlotte takes miller just lmao

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Kirios posted:

The gently caress we supposed to do with 4.

God damnit.

Two way contract

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Spacebump posted:

Wasn't Greg Oden a can't miss potentially generational talent? (albeit he did have health issues going in)

Yeah but everyone was also making jokes about the last time the Blazers drafted one of those over a guard and welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Wemby is the new Zion and will spend his whole career on the shelf due to injuries

Scoot couldn't even dominate G League

Miller couldn't compete against good competition and was maybe an accessory to murder

don't mind me just trying to rationalize away my crushing despair

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK