Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Lakers bringing in the entire Florida graduating class into the Summer League.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Henchman of Santa posted:

What should I expect from Marcus Sasser?

As funny as this sounds, he is a 3 and D point guard. Great at the point of attack, can make shots off the dribble and off the catch, has a decent handle. Offers zero rim pressure and is not a playmaker at all. 6'1.5 with a 6'7 wingspan

I can imagine him playing at 1 with ivey at 2 and cade at 3, cade is doing his poor man's Luka game and Marcus brings the ball down the court, has to be covered at the top of the arc because of his ability to pull up and hit there, so Cade gets single covered more often.

If Ausar ends up shooting, that would be cool.

Imagine a Sasser, Ivey, Ausar, Cade, Duren lineup

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 23, 2023

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

are you guys just saying that the G League Ignite is depressing their players' draft value because the spurs picked two Ignite guys in the second round so they must have been steals, and also Mojave King should have gone higher than 47 just off of his name alone

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I guess the other big surprise to me was cam whitmore going so late. Dude is big and jumpy and plays like a less talented zion. He should be fun to watch in the g league.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

why do the bulls hate players who can shoot

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

why do the bulls hate players who can shoot

you only get so many shots per year, and they're still paying off the interest buying extra on the jordan years

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Shear Modulus posted:

are you guys just saying that the G League Ignite is depressing their players' draft value because the spurs picked two Ignite guys in the second round so they must have been steals, and also Mojave King should have gone higher than 47 just off of his name alone

I don’t think it’s like, malicious. Sometimes they are putting players in challenging roles to help them learn how to handle it. Other times it’s because the Ignite do not have a position complete roster or a way to get it. So you have to ask Leonard Miller to defend centers because he is the tallest guy on the team, even though no one thinks he should play center (at least not right away). Count that they are throwing them in against older professionals who are trying to go at them to make a spot in the NBA and it’s a challenging situation.

I think Leonard is a mega steal to be clear.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Shear Modulus posted:

No

Ignite refuse to build a balanced roster with spacing. year one they put kuminga out to dry as a lead ball handler and crushed his stock. year after that they rolled out a roster with no spacing and jaden hardy 30% usaged dyson daniels way later than he should have been, and made himself a 2nd rounder. This year they had even worse spacing and made sure scoot was always running into walls. (they have next years probably 1st overall pick matas buzelis and the spacing will again be poo poo)

When college teams get a top prospect they tend to try to magnify strengths and hide weaknesses (except UK) which helps guys set their future contracts up.

While it may not be on purpose the ignite end up exposing all the warts of a prospect and lowering their initial contracts + limit playing opportunities. Does that sound like a system that's helping prospects? Or one that's helping NBA teams, by making sure that they don't get any surprises?

Unless they really need the money, I would recommend most guys to go to college instead. The thing that ignite should be doing is building a team that mirrors what guys will do in the NBA. That means a properly spaced floor, and a rim protecting center on defense. So guys get hung out to dry on both sides of the ball. They may be helping teams get talent for less but they're also not getting a realistic look at how they'd play in the NBA on a possession by possession basis.

Does that satisfy you

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 23, 2023

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
My fantasy for ignite is the NBA itself pays a few guys like Dwight Howard, Haslem, DJ Augustin, etc to play on ignite to provide scaffolding to make the roster work for the prospects better.

Drew Timme to Bucks would have made so much sense if Bud was still there because he would have given him minutes in the dog days of December and he might actually become an NBA player. Not sure that will happen now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Lakers had a very good day. Without being able to see the medical I would have taken a swing at Cam, and am a big Miller believer, but JHS is someone I can live with, with Hawkins, Buffkin and Lively gone.

Second round and UDFA is the feast I am used to.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The hype around Wenbanyama feels… overhyped. I’ll believe he can handle NBA bigs and speed when I see it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Rick posted:

My fantasy for ignite is the NBA itself pays a few guys like Dwight Howard, Haslem, DJ Augustin, etc to play on ignite to provide scaffolding to make the roster work for the prospects better.

Drew Timme to Bucks would have made so much sense if Bud was still there because he would have given him minutes in the dog days of December and he might actually become an NBA player. Not sure that will happen now.

They do do that, there's usually two vets on Ignite, a guard and a big, for that very purpose, but most of the rotation is still prospects. Like, in order to fix that problem i think you'd have to do something like instead of having a Prospect Team, you'd have to find some way to make every G-league team feature some prospects, and it would be difficult to do that.

They could put more vets on Ignite, but then there wouldn't be so many prospects available to work with from it.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Some stray thoughts on the prospects.

I want to emphasize how goddamn athletic the Thompsons are. I'm pretty sure there hasn't been anyone as athletic in 20 years.

Cam whitmore is also an elite athlete, and would be the most athletic player in any draft aside from this one.

Jarace is a very big loving dude. I mean huge. It's nice to have a defender this good and versatile without being a zero on the offensive end.

Max Lewis is just about the worst defender in the draft. He was so bad it made me angry.

I think Taylor Hendricks can defend NBA players, but I'm not sure. If he can he's a very solid player.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Players who can defend and space usually aren't playing in the G League.

I mean G League certainly isn't purposefully depressing value, it's a zero sum game. They depress value on some players it just inflates others. So it doesn't really provide any overall value.

I do agree with Rick that it's not a great showcase. Even with the vets. It's not just spacing, it's who is getting play calls, who is being rested on defense, etc. And I don't think guys are getting up the same in the G League. It's harder to be motivated when you got a top pick locked up and that's the kind of thing that is contagious on a team for young guys. College is usually reverse, your more motivated as you get closer and into the tournament.

All that said, 4 of the top 5 picks were from not-college, and good prospects end up in bad situations that hurts their draft stock in college too, so I'm not sure I'd categorically say prospects are better off going to college. I think there's a certain type of player its more risky though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

dokmo posted:

I want to emphasize how goddamn athletic the Thompsons are. I'm pretty sure there hasn't been anyone as athletic in 20 years.

Cam whitmore is also an elite athlete, and would be the most athletic player in any draft aside from this one.

Jarace is a very big loving dude. I mean huge. It's nice to have a defender this good and versatile without being a zero on the offensive end.

Max Lewis is just about the worst defender in the draft. He was so bad it made me angry.

I think Taylor Hendricks can defend NBA players, but I'm not sure. If he can he's a very solid player.

I was really mad at a journalist who mocked Max Lewis at 17 for that reason. At 40 though, I'm like "thin man go whirrr"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Lockback posted:

Players who can defend and space usually aren't playing in the G League.

I mean G League certainly isn't purposefully depressing value, it's a zero sum game. They depress value on some players it just inflates others. So it doesn't really provide any overall value.

I do agree with Rick that it's not a great showcase. Even with the vets. It's not just spacing, it's who is getting play calls, who is being rested on defense, etc. And I don't think guys are getting up the same in the G League. It's harder to be motivated when you got a top pick locked up and that's the kind of thing that is contagious on a team for young guys. College is usually reverse, your more motivated as you get closer and into the tournament.

All that said, 4 of the top 5 picks were from not-college, and good prospects end up in bad situations that hurts their draft stock in college too, so I'm not sure I'd categorically say prospects are better off going to college. I think there's a certain type of player its more risky though.

I'm not saying they're better off going to college than anywhere (if anything more guys need to find their own league of children to play against if tonight's evidence), but I think Ignite is specifically maybe not a great place unless you're Scoot level of prospect. And maybe it hurt him.

Panzeh posted:

They do do that, there's usually two vets on Ignite, a guard and a big, for that very purpose, but most of the rotation is still prospects. Like, in order to fix that problem i think you'd have to do something like instead of having a Prospect Team, you'd have to find some way to make every G-league team feature some prospects, and it would be difficult to do that.

They could put more vets on Ignite, but then there wouldn't be so many prospects available to work with from it.

I was making a joke with DJ Augustin, who literally has done that, but I think the type of player that they bring in for Ignite are just not copying the roles that exist on a regular NBA team.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

dokmo posted:

They are super athletic but the OTE was absolute crap defensively and I'm worried it made them look a little more athletic and explosive in comparison. They are elite either way.

Toxic Mental posted:

The hype around Wenbanyama feels… overhyped. I’ll believe he can handle NBA bigs and speed when I see it.

There will be an adjustment, he's not going to be an all star his first year, but he's done what he does against every other competition even against other top prospects. I think people who think the Spurs are a contender now are nuts, but as long as Vic is healthy he's going to buy a guy in the NBA.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
There is an enormous difference between the Spurs when they drafted Duncan vs now. That Spurs team already had David Robinson, and Duncan was a 4 year college player. Wemby is also at a height where the Spurs might consider transitioning him much more slowly so he does get hurt. Duncan’s transition to the NBA was always going to be smoother.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Wemby is going to be an elite defender from day one, the only thing that possibly stops him on that end with his tools and instincts is injury.

Offense will be a work in progress. It's not impossible he's a positive offensive player year one, but I'd say more likely he will have a bunch of great games mixed in with a whole lot more games where he has two or three amazing highlight plays but is generally inefficient. That's if the Spurs let him take as many jump shots as he did in France, which they should to help him grow and learn what he can do. If they just make him a rim runner with a bonus pick and pop game then he'll have good TS% but won't be that exciting.

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

dokmo posted:

What do you think made teams shy away from Whitmore vs his pre draft projections? I know those projections are bs and lots of these late lottery/late first round picks were clearly done hoping to help fix hole in roster (Dick on Raptors, Lively on Mavericks)

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Brogeoisie posted:

What do you think made teams shy away from Whitmore vs his pre draft projections? I know those projections are bs and lots of these late lottery/late first round picks were clearly done hoping to help fix hole in roster (Dick on Raptors, Lively on Mavericks)

His defense is very questionable, his jumper is questionable, he's a one handed driver, and he literally never passes. His limitations are very obvious, but he's also only 18 years old. I would have thought his age made him more attractive to teams, but I guess I was wrong.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Lockback posted:

They are super athletic but the OTE was absolute crap defensively and I'm worried it made them look a little more athletic and explosive in comparison. They are elite either way.

Yeah, i watched them when they played non-OTE competition in their first round exit in TBT and it was quite a bit different. I mean, I think they're still great athletes and raw prospects but they're going to need some work.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Guessing it was mostly just rumor mongering because of his drop, but I've also seen people mention bad medicals, him bombing in pre-draft workouts and vaping in the locker room after a low-effort session with a team

morestuff fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 23, 2023

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure the medicals had nothing to do with it, I have no idea who started that rumor.

It maybe it does, what the gently caress do I know

dokmo fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 23, 2023

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm more horrified by his nba prospects

you sound uninformed.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

now it's time for the best part of the whole deal as a Miami Heat fan, sorting through the undrafteds

Justin Powell, Washington State
Patrick Gardner, Marist
Taylor Funk, Utah State
Caleb Daniels from Villanova
and Drew Peterson from USC

it's all 5+ year guys and then Justin Powell, as you would expect

e: Gardner seems like a pretty rad guy to take the chance on

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 23, 2023

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Markquis Nowell signed with Toronto if anyone is looking for a really cool guy to watch in Summer League.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I am completely sincere in this but I'm excited about Sanogo. On paper, an undersized center who can't protect the rim, doesn't really shoot, and owned everyone in college basketball by being a big burly guy with post moves is like the exact opposite of a 2020s NBA guy but using a 2 way slot on an incredibly good but really weird player is a cool thing to do and this guy is going to own in summer league.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

kiimo posted:

you sound uninformed.

The scouting report on him is that he's a very good shooter....and that's about his only real skill. Several writeups I read after the pick to see if maybe I acted rashly mentioned he can't guard a loving coke machine.

Toronto doesn't need another lovely defender.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

morestuff posted:

Guessing it was mostly just rumor mongering because of his drop, but I've also seen people mention bad medicals, him bombing in pre-draft workouts and vaping in the locker room after a low-effort session with a team

Now I want to see a coach do the Red Auerbach move when the game is secured except instead of lighting a cigar he just starts chucking up fat vape clouds.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

dokmo posted:

Add Jalen Green's athleticism and Sengun doing Sengun things along with the pack of other kids and Houston should be fun as hell to watch. Not good, probably, but fun

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Finally getting around to watching a highlight video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1hhFhVJFBQ

• cautiously excited by a 3pt focused Rip Hamilton
  • seriously, his movement shooting at the 3pt line and off-ball movement is extremely impressive
  • intrigued by how well he can move his hips on both offense and defense
  • rim attempts will be an adventure
  • don't think he will ever be a capable iso player (probably my biggest disappointment with him)
  • developing a consistent floater/runner will be his swing skill in being able to run secondary/tertiary PnR actions
  • not too worried about consistency on defense because he appears to give a poo poo about it
  • 18 blocks as a guard is cool to see
  • a little worried about the rebounding as there seems to be a fear of boxing out larger guys
  • think he will always be susceptible to bully ball, even after adding strength

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kibner posted:

Finally getting around to watching a highlight video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1hhFhVJFBQ

• cautiously excited by a 3pt focused Rip Hamilton
  • seriously, his movement shooting at the 3pt line and off-ball movement is extremely impressive
  • intrigued by how well he can move his hips on both offense and defense
  • rim attempts will be an adventure
  • don't think he will ever be a capable iso player (probably my biggest disappointment with him)
  • developing a consistent floater/runner will be his swing skill in being able to run secondary/tertiary PnR actions
  • not too worried about consistency on defense because he appears to give a poo poo about it
  • 18 blocks as a guard is cool to see
  • a little worried about the rebounding as there seems to be a fear of boxing out larger guys
  • think he will always be susceptible to bully ball, even after adding strength

After Wallace came off the board I wanted either George or Hawkins, I think a few teams are gonna regret passing on Hawkins

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The scouting report on him is that he's a very good shooter....and that's about his only real skill. Several writeups I read after the pick to see if maybe I acted rashly mentioned he can't guard a loving coke machine.

Toronto doesn't need another lovely defender.

At 18 and a freshman he set the Kansas 3 point scoring mark but demonstrated a complete package of scoring ability and he guarded passably fine I'm not sure how much of a lockdown defender you're looking for at 18.

Anyway freshmen don't score like that at Kansas. Also I guess you'll just see.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Surprised how far Nick Smith Jr fell. Maybe he winds up being an actual good draft pick for Charlotte.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

dokmo posted:

I'm pretty sure the medicals had nothing to do with it, I have no idea who started that rumor.

It maybe it does, what the gently caress do I know

Sam Vecenie was talking about it on his live show yesterday that some teams had "yellow flags" on the medicals for Whitmore. He had also previously said that if he ever talks about medicals for a player, it's probably a legit concern for some teams.

https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/status/1671701762242400256?s=20

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

This new Wizards regime appears to also make peculiar draft picks.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Cash Monet posted:

This new Wizards regime appears to also make peculiar draft picks.

I can give you the confidence at least that they drafted the guy who was near the top of prestis board as they took the guy who helps presti make his draft board and okc was trying hard to get the pacers pick to select him.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Northwestern's Big Ten DPOY Chase Audige is playing with the Heat in summer league. Fire AKME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

ihatepants posted:

Sam Vecenie was talking about it on his live show yesterday that some teams had "yellow flags" on the medicals for Whitmore. He had also previously said that if he ever talks about medicals for a player, it's probably a legit concern for some teams.

https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/status/1671701762242400256?s=20

Given that it's public info that he broke his leg in high school (they went as far to say it on TV when he was drafted) and we know he had another injury in college it's not a huge leap to think there may be a medical thing. There are also people saying the interviews went bad. Also, all the stuff that Dokmo mentioned was out there and talked about here by our friend Dejan leading up to the draft, so you don't even need any of the more esoteric stuff to wonder why he slipped.

I dunno he was top 5 on my board public-warts and all but because I can't do anything but watch games on these guys or videos other people made I try really hard to leave room open for being wrong.