Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

yeah I immediately started singing HOLD ME NOW when I read that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Dejan Bimble posted:

For the Tatum comp, I know it wasn't really a comp, but the knocks on Mr Tatum coming out of Kentucky were that despite being an absolute iso scoring God, he didn't play defense, he didn't really have a handle, and he wasn't much of a passer

For Brandon it's great 3p shooting, good defense, middling athlete, kind of scrawny, not super flexible, not a great finisher

So Tatum's elite skill was iso scoring. Miller's elite skill is 3p shooting with a side of strong defense. Being an elite iso scorer usually means more upside than being a strong jumpshooter and closeout attacker. Like miller's median outcome is probably Tobias Harris as a good defender, with everyone wishing he'd become Paul George, who's a much much better athlete and 6'11

I just head Givony call Brandon Miller “a No. 1 option from day one” so I guess some league folks are slightly more bullish

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think Miller has more than middling athleticism, and I think he can score a bunch of different ways. I can see the allure, but I don't think at all he is a high floor guy. He is the exact prototype every team in the league wants.

Again, I'd put Scoot over him but I don't think he'd be a bad #2 and as a GM I feel like he's the guy you want to go off and the guy you don't want to pass on if he becomes a star.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Which Thompson is the good one

Amen Brother.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

For the Tatum comp, I know it wasn't really a comp, but the knocks on Mr Tatum coming out of Kentucky were that despite being an absolute iso scoring God, he didn't play defense, he didn't really have a handle, and he wasn't much of a passer

For Brandon it's great 3p shooting, good defense, middling athlete, kind of scrawny, not super flexible, not a great finisher

So Tatum's elite skill was iso scoring. Miller's elite skill is 3p shooting with a side of strong defense. Being an elite iso scorer usually means more upside than being a strong jumpshooter and closeout attacker. Like miller's median outcome is probably Tobias Harris as a good defender, with everyone wishing he'd become Paul George, who's a much much better athlete and 6'11

Paul George is not 6’11” and another big knock on Tatum was that he was a surprisingly mediocre long range shooter. 34% on 4 a game

morestuff posted:

After sleeping on it I genuinely don’t know what the Hornets should do. The upside / non-accessory to murder choice in Scoot feels like the right call with a pick that high, but the appeal of just taking Miller and having PG / wing / C locked down for the next 5+ years is pretty real.

The mock drafts seem split, even among the plugged in guys. I hate that Charlotte is actually going to have to make a high-stakes decision, I’d be more optimistic about the pick panning out if they were choosing the leftover at third.

Do you think they’re going to bring back Bridges? That would presumably change their calculus

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/jabarismithjr/status/1658867218715750401?s=20

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Calidus posted:

The solution it trade some of their extra picks so they can get both Thompson twins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXuIABMlZKc

it's a shame that this is ancient history to key demographics because it should always preface discussions of them as a pair

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

Do you think they’re going to bring back Bridges? That would presumably change their calculus

Bridges’ game turned around when he finally got to spend the majority of his minutes at power forward, so whether he’s back or not won’t factor into the draft. I honestly don’t know what they’re going to do with him but if I had to guess getting the No. 2 probably makes it less likely

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Doubt that's enough for Detroit but I'd love for Charlotte to comfortably take Scoot then settle for whoever's left of Ausar / Whitmore / Jarace

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Really like Jordan Hawkins. His shooting form is perfect and underrated hops. Hope he falls to the Raptors.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

morestuff posted:

Doubt that's enough for Detroit but I'd love for Charlotte to comfortably take Scoot then settle for whoever's left of Ausar / Whitmore / Jarace

They would have to think pj is a future star for this I think

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Givony:
Brandon Miller not leaving a great impression in pre-draft interviews

Source:
Houston and Detroit front offices 🥸

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Who’s a good player the Mavs could get at 10 and then trade for a journeyman wing who sucks?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

morestuff posted:

I just head Givony call Brandon Miller “a No. 1 option from day one” so I guess some league folks are slightly more bullish

That part depends on if the playmaking and attacking close outs are real or just flashes. The playmaking making may a mirage to be honest with you but his handle is more of a 50-50 thing because some teams were able to completely stop him from moving with the ball and other teams weren’t

Plus let’s be fair, the job of draft guys is the hype these guys up, even if they actually believe it, we know that the most common outcome for guys drafted 2/3/4 is starter not star

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 18, 2023

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

morestuff posted:

lol
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1659292007213199372

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I imagine giving a mealy mouthed answer about maybe helped killed someone is a bad look

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Givony will never back off his takes formed during guy's high school play. He's reliable because he does do great at letting you know what teams are thinking but himself as a draft analyst is not good.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I really miss old draftexpress videos, they were great at finding representative clips and explaining pros and cons visually, which is why they both made it to the big time.

Now we have several imitators but none as good. Access to synergy would make it easy, but you need to know your poo poo

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

Givony will never back off his takes formed during guy's high school play. He's reliable because he does do great at letting you know what teams are thinking but himself as a draft analyst is not good.

It’s very telling that Schmitz is the Blazers assistant GM and givony is just writing articles

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dejan Bimble posted:

Excuse me, but Tatum is a sickening Duke Blue Devil.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

to be fair to brandon miller, not that anyone should be, his big concern is likely not implicating himself in a criminal conspiracy as opposed to giving sterling interview answers to the 15th most powerful person on the blazers or whatever

but also, if you're drafting him, you've likely accepted that his off-the-court stuff is hosed forever and ever; if he doesn't seem knowledgeable or coachable, that's another nail in the coffin

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

This might be me drawing conclusions, but Ja's gun poo poo (which is much tamer than Miller's gun poo poo) could cause Miller to drop. I think NBA FOs are going to be very concerned about Miller and it could cause him to dip from a top3 to a mid lotto pick

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, if I had to pick a candidate for 'person who spends the longest in the green room before getting drafted' before the draft combine results get out, I'd pick Miller.

Now to see if we get crazy poo poo from the combine like 'a player's left leg is 8mm longer than his right'.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
There's no way Miller gets past the Rockets. Owner is a loud and proud Trump supporter and they just hired a sex-pest coach. Character issues are not a factor for them.

If he can actually play the 3 in the NBA, that would be a total steal for Houston, which is fittingly unethical.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Blind Pineapple posted:

There's no way Miller gets past the Rockets. Owner is a loud and proud Trump supporter and they just hired a sex-pest coach. Character issues are not a factor for them.

If he can actually play the 3 in the NBA, that would be a total steal for Houston, which is fittingly unethical.

I mean I guess but I don't actually think the things correlate. This isn't about personal issues, this is about basketball execs watching Ja's last 6-7 months and extrapolating what that risk means in terms of games.

Miller is a gigantic risk who happens to be the NBA's favorite size/skill combo in the current era. I also think if he's drafted by Houston this is their 5:

Green/KPJ/Miller/Smith/Sengûn

That team isn't defending anyone

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Well, that's partly because Green and KPJ are so bad that no defense has a chance. Smith showed flashes of defensive skill and Sengun is potentially hideable. Miiller at least has the tools to be a good NBA defender and it looks like he has the desire in college.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i don't think kpj makes it past his next contract on the rockets; the putrid defense is fine for them right now because they're tanking and trying to see what they can make work but i don't think kpj-green is a backcourt that's going to make the play-in, much less compete in any serious way

the offense looks bad enough that i'd be worried about anyone's future development on that squad; they're at the bottom of the league in assists and it shows

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Amen Thompson seems like an ideal fit for the Rockets they need someone who can pass and super athletic enough to defend. Harden can also try to teach him how to shoot.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Ime's not a great person, but he is a great coach. I think there's a decent chance he can get the rockets playing a lot better defense next year.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

As a Portland fan I spent most of yesterday reading about Millers situation. I ain't going to hold it against him, and not because he is good at basketball but because he was barely involved. It's been hard to parse through so many articles but here is my timeline:

He drove out to drink with Miles, Miles left his gun in Millers car. Millers attorney said at this point he was unaware there was one (maybe bs).

Miles and Miller get separated for a few hours. Miles meets up the shooter and started a confrontation with the victim and her boyfriend. Miles texts Miller to bring his gun. Supposedly this is where he realizes it's in his car and hears of it the first time. Again, maybe bs.

Miller obliges but doesn't know about the confrontation(texts seem to corroborate). Miller doesn't give Miles the gun, but Miles goes through the car and gets it. Miller doesn't follow Miles. Miles hands gun to shooter, they exchange words more, shooter kills victim. Miller runs, but after guns stop he is first back on scene. Cooperates with police, shows them his dash cam footage which seems to corroborate his story (and pin the blame on Miles/Shooter).

I think the gray areas are he's a dumb gently caress but it is really hard to show any malice there.

Ghetto SuperCzar fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 20, 2023

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
Miller definitely was involved with murdering someone but got away with jail time because he was a cooperating witness. I want hornets to stay the gently caress away from him, no matter his talent. Same with Bridges. I'm less optimistic they cut ties with Bridges given how silent they've been.

Scoot seems to have an awesome attitude and is high character guy, why you'd gamble on Miller if they're close at all in talent, I have no idea

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

As a Portland fan I spent most of yesterday reading about Millers situation. I ain't going to hold it against him, and not because he is good at basketball but because he was barely involved. It's been hard to parse through so many articles but here is my timeline:

He drove out to drink with Miles, Miles left his gun in Millers car. Millers attorney said at this point he was unaware there was one (maybe bs).

Miles and Miller get separated for a few hours. Miles meets up the shooter and started a confrontation with the victim and her boyfriend. Miles texts Miller to bring his gun. Supposedly this is where he realizes it's in his car and hears of it the first time. Again, maybe bs.

Miller obliges but doesn't know about the confrontation(texts seem to corroborate). Miller doesn't give Miles the gun, but Miles goes through the car and gets it. Miller doesn't follow Miles. Miles hands gun to shooter, they exchange words more, shooter kills victim. Miller runs, but after guns stop he is first back on scene. Cooperates with police, shows them his dash cam footage which seems to corroborate his story (and pin the blame on Miles/Shooter).

I think the gray areas are he's a dumb gently caress but it is really hard to show any malice there.

If you actually believe anything he said here you are a mark. He was an accomplice and had a good lawyer. They protected him also because he was star player in Alabama.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Brogeoisie posted:

If you actually believe anything he said here you are a mark. He was an accomplice and had a good lawyer. They protected him also because he was star player in Alabama.

Would you be interested in telling us what evidence you have on this instead of being rude?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Bottom line is there’s evidence via dashcam and surveillance that show that miller wasnt there for the shooting and if the prosecution could have pinned an accessory or felony misdemeanor why not?

He returned his friends gun without knowing it was going to be used in anger, then went to get some food, which is why he wasn’t prosecuted

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Blind Pineapple posted:

No. The Rockets are not high on Miller and they would sooner trade Miller for a win now piece than draft him. They are going for Scoot (or Thompson if for someone reason they think he can develop a shot), trading out for an experienced player, or an outside chance drafting Cam Whitmore. Just because the owner sucks doesn't mean they are going to draft a questionable guy.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
We are talking about a scenario where Miller falls to four which would certainly mean Scoot and probably at least one of the twins was drafted ahead of him and off the table.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Rick posted:

We are talking about a scenario where Miller falls to four which would certainly mean Scoot and probably at least one of the twins was drafted ahead of him and off the table.

Yes, I am saying in that scenario Houston likely trades it for a player into their cap space.

Miller might not make it past 4 or 5, but it's not because Houston is drafting him, which is what I was responding to.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

No. The Rockets are not high on Miller and they would sooner trade Miller for a win now piece than draft him.

Not sure where you’re seeing that

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

morestuff posted:

Not sure where you’re seeing that

Givony might not hit on his takes but he's not wrong on what people inside the Rockets organization are feeling. But also the 3 is the main spot the Rockets have been looking at to upgrade with a vet aside from the point guard position if they cannot get Scoot.

I'm not sure where anyone is seeing the Rockets specifically are interesting in Brandon Miller.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

100% chance Scoot goes to Charlotte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

TV Zombie posted:

What do the Blazers do at 3? I feel like they need someone good and tough in the post.

Trade it and anfernee simons for Embiid

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 23, 2023