Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
just watch the UK tv series Utopia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
that guy is actually just british, no necessarily antinatalist

edit: after looking up the actual plot of the show that's basically also the plot of several cspam threads

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 20:17 on May 19, 2023

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

some anti eugenic natalist points forall you cool fellas out there

reasons why kids are bad:

1. are annoying
  2. ruin movies by trying to act
  3. arent good at anything
  4. cry all the time
  5. hog all the attention from the babes
  6. cannot hoop
  7. do the floss dance

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Cuttlefush posted:

yeah whether or not that gets eugenics-y really depends on what someone's idea of "can sustain" means. if it's "a lot less than current" and you are thinking in terms of "we should do policy that aims for this lower number", welp

or it just reveals what the person thinks is an acceptable standard of living. if you are an american you might have a skewed perception of what living comfortably means.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the number that needs to go down is consumption not population

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
what needs to go down... is capitalism

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
yeah. we need control over the means of production so we can actually direct it towards a sustainable future. the only people who can do that are the people who produce goods and services.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

i dont think its "obvious reality" that there aren't enough resources to sustain the current global population

or it just reveals what the person thinks is an acceptable standard of living. if you are an american you might have a skewed perception of what living comfortably means.
There are all sorts of resources we are consuming too quickly even beyond the CO2 we're pumping into the atmosphere. What standard of living do you consider acceptable, and are you sure the planet can sustain that with 8 billion+ people?

Putting aside what the planet can theoretically sustain in an optimistic future scenario where we don't destroy ourselves and have stabilized the biosphere, the momentum towards collapse that we've already baked into the system will force a resource crunch upon us no matter what. We can barge full steam ahead towards that catastrophe and wait for famines and droughts to reduce the human population, or some subset of us can make a conscious, voluntary choice to not reproduce and lower population pressures by some amount in the future.

The latter sounds far preferable to me, and there's no need to force anyone to make that choice as again, simply empowering women to have bodily autonomy (something that is inarguably a good thing anyway) in our current world is sufficient to lower birth rates below replacement level.

lobster shirt posted:

the number that needs to go down is consumption not population
The two are clearly linked, and consumption is driven by capitalism which we all agree needs to die for us to survive.

Voluntarily reducing birth rates is not a replacement for destroying capitalism, it's just one of many ways we might help reduce suffering during the impending crises and hopeful destruction of capitalism. IMO gradually lowering global population might in fact hasten capital's destruction, as reducing the size of the labor force it will put additional downward pressure on the rate of profit. That is not the primary motivation but it seems like a nice ancillary benefit.

bawfuls has issued a correction as of 20:37 on May 19, 2023

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Here's an open question for the thread:

Why do you want to have children?

If you don't want to have children, why not?

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Hubbert posted:

Here's an open question for the thread: why do you want to have children?

Apparently from skimming this thread: to prove they aren't goony goon goons who care about things

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Hubbert posted:

Here's an open question for the thread: why do you want to have children?

somebody has to keep this forum going after we're gone

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
if kids didn't exist totk wouldn't exist. kids are officially based

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

4d3d3d posted:

Apparently from skimming this thread: to prove they aren't goony goon goons who care about things

Hubbert posted:

Here's an open question for the thread:

Why do you want to have children?

If you don't want to have children, why not?

how are you two always this dumb

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

bawfuls posted:

There are all sorts of resources we are consuming too quickly even beyond the CO2 we're pumping into the atmosphere. What standard of living do you consider acceptable, and are you sure the planet can sustain that with 8 billion+ people?

we aren't over consuming because we are straining to house clothe and feed everyone, and we definitely aren't using the energy we do use towards it efficiently.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

they sure aren't making of strong case for the doomsday thread

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

we aren't over consuming because we are straining to house clothe and feed everyone, and we definitely aren't using the energy we do use towards it efficiently.
I think it's reasonable for future generations to expect more than simply food clothing and shelter. Like say, modern medical technology, basic labor saving technologies like washing machines, etc.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Me, looking at a graph showing exponential growth in energy consumption: "we aren't overconsuming"

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

bawfuls posted:

Why are you so sure it can't? The issue is that none of the basic resources people need to survive are distributed evenly.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
have a kid or don't who gives a poo poo

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Also what is this nonsense about bodily autonomy? Having a child is just another aspect of healthcare, everyone should have healthcare...

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
i dont think the problem is even doomposting. it's stupid rear end posters who can't read or think good. like kibbles just misread f stop's post completely to post a stupid quip

what they have here is a failure to communicate

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

spacemang_spliff posted:

have a kid or don't who gives a poo poo

while I tend to be sympathetic to some AN arguments, at the end of the day yea this. Shits hosed either way.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

bawfuls posted:

I think it's reasonable for future generations to expect more than simply food clothing and shelter. Like say, modern medical technology, basic labor saving technologies like washing machines, etc.

medicine goes without saying i hope but like in the US 2/3rds of all housing units are SFH and the vast majority of them have their own personal washing and drying units. its stupidly wasteful

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

bawfuls posted:

i always think about this. how much would reducing oil/NG output have an impact on essential stuff. our trade/output now is structure without that in mind. i feel like there would be significant sacrifices made if we actually tried to change things.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Cuttlefush posted:

how are you two always this dumb

Cuttlefush posted:

i dont think the problem is even doomposting. it's stupid rear end posters who can't read or think good. like kibbles just misread f stop's post completely to post a stupid quip

No worries, my dude. Let me know when you'd like to share your answer on my question.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Why are you so sure it can't? The issue is that none of the basic resources people need to survive are distributed evenly.
There are hundreds of millions (if not billions) of people alive today who are forced to live below a morally acceptable standard of living. Maybe the planet can indefinitely sustain 8 billion people living on what the poorest billion currently survive on, but we should want better than that for everyone alive today, let alone for future generations in a hypothetically stabilized biosphere.

Even if we distributed all of global food production today such that no one was ever malnourished, the land use required to produce that food is beyond sustainable limits.

medicine goes without saying i hope but like in the US 2/3rds of all housing units are SFH and the vast majority of them have their own personal washing and drying units. its stupidly wasteful
No poo poo, I'm not suggesting that a steady state target population requires everyone living in a SFH with their own washing machine and dryer. But likewise there's a lot more than food clothing and shelter that everyone can and should have. It's not just producing penicillin, insulin, and birth control, it's technically sophisticated machines like MRIs, or scopes which allow for arthroscopic surgeries etc, and all the ancillary technologies which enable their development and production.

bawfuls has issued a correction as of 21:11 on May 19, 2023

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Cuttlefush posted:

My quip may have been stupid but I don't think I misread anybody, I was trying to mock the people who can't square the circle of sustaining our modern way of life while growing indefinitely which I don't think was anyone in this thread? Anyways sorry for being gauche, I'm a rusty poster.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

Hubbert posted:

No worries, my dude. Let me know when you'd like to share your answer on my question.

why are you even asking? it's not relevant. it's not even really good for figuring out who will or will not have kids. it's like asking people talking about universal healthcare whether they think they'll get cancer or not.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

My quip may have been stupid but I don't think I misread anybody, I was trying to mock the people who can't square the circle of sustaining our modern way of life while growing indefinitely which I don't think was anyone in this thread? Anyways sorry for being gauche, I'm a rusty poster.

ah, did not consider you'd be doing that to mock people who aren't posting in the thread or probably in cspam

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 21:16 on May 19, 2023

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

bawfuls posted:

No poo poo, I'm not suggesting that a steady state target population requires everyone living in a SFH with their own washing machine and dryer. But likewise there's a lot more than food clothing and shelter that everyone can and should have. It's not just producing penicillin, insulin, and birth control, it's technically sophisticated machines like MRIs, or scopes which allow for arthroscopic surgeries etc, and all the ancillary technologies which enable their development and production.

ok? my list wasn't exhaustive but not sure what that changes . i think everyone should have leisure time and dignity also

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Cuttlefush posted:

ah, did not consider you'd be doing that to mock people who aren't posting in the thread or probably in cspam

I didn't make it obvious, it's my fault. Re-reading it, it does looks I was addressing f-stop when I really wasn't. My bad f-stop

Kibbles n Shits has issued a correction as of 21:20 on May 19, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I didn't make it obvious, it's my fault.

also my bad. today is my aggro day

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

tbf i also thought they only read the first three words and immediately tried to own me with no other information

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin
The only limits are those conceived of in the mind.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Makes me wonder how many times I've misinterpreted someone as dumb as myself and labelled them off as something they weren't.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I've changed my mind nobody should be alive anymore

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Makes me wonder how many times I've misinterpreted someone as dumb as myself and labelled them off as something they weren't.

i do it all the time but i also don't remember posters very well so unless it happens 10 times in a row i wont mislabel them for more than a few pages of a thread

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ok? my list wasn't exhaustive but not sure what that changes . i think everyone should have leisure time and dignity also
Your post gave me the impression you underestimate how much leisure time and dignity is enabled by somewhat energy intensive technologies.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Your post gave me the impression you underestimate how much leisure time and dignity is enabled by somewhat energy intensive technologies.

why are you so focused on "energy"

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

why are you so focused on "energy"
probably cause I'm an engineer with a focus on heat transfer

but also because it is our energy use that is most strongly driving CO2 emissions

and even if we had a perfectly clean renewable energy system, thermodynamics puts a hard cap on the growth of energy use on the surface of a finite planet (and with the exponential growth demanded by capital, we're closer to this cap than you might think)

in short, energy is the fungible unit of resource consumption

bawfuls has issued a correction as of 22:05 on May 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
what's the cap?