Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

A few years ago, when I bought my Quest 2 headset, I decided to download vrchat, and I had the absolute worst impression of any app I have ever seen. I received a showcase of every horrible thing you could witness on the internet summed up in about 15 minutes, from which point I gladly deleted it from my headset. I found refuge in Altspace, but it has since been discontinued in April after being acquired by Microsoft 2 years ago, which they of course did absolutely nothing with.

All my Altspac'ers went over to vrchat (and sometimes Horizons but that sucks rear end). I was dismissive of vrchat because it also sucks, it's complicated, and it always crashes on standalone headsets. After much opposition, they convinced me to come on. There's no avatar creator, so I had to go find one.

At first I found some horror gore mutated bodies that I liked, but most of my friends couldn't warm up to these for some reason, so I had to find something more acceptable to the common online internet person.

Then I found this:

Something about it felt highly relatable as if it was me. This was my spirit animal thing. It did not occur to me it was a "furry", until people started exclaiming that it was. I thought furries were just dog people and anthropomorphic airplanes that pet each other compassionately? But they are also this.

And now, and what feels like it may be forever, I cannot stop thinking of hopping around as this blue little furry thing in vrchat. Every night I go to bed happy reminiscing about it. It has completely taken over my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Good Sphur

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

lol I will consider this

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Congratulations or sorry that happened, i guess.

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.
This is what you get for refusing to be an anime.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
My condolences

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Is there any way to hook the forums up to this? I think it would really improve my posting experience

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

be yourself OP, in whatever form that happens to take. Don't let anybody's judgement stop you. I played a catboy in a video game once (FFXIV, good game) and people mock me for it on occasion but I don't care, the gently caress do they know anyway? William Henry Hairytaint isn't even my real name. I'm immune to their taunts and I know that deep down they're just insecure because they really wanted to be a professional baseball player or an air traffic controller or something and they couldn't do it. Weren't good enough. So to make themselves feel better they sling poo poo at other people. I'm sure this happens in vrchat, too.

They're not better than me. Just say that over and over again. They're not better than me. They're not better than me. They're not better than me.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Vim Fuego posted:

Is there any way to hook the forums up to this? I think it would really improve my posting experience

Only if your av can be goatse. Imagine all the gapes right in your face, like they're there right in front of you. Like you could reach out and touch them.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

William Henry Hairytaint isn't even my real name.

I feel betrayed

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i'm literally a cat (the one in my av)

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Watch out OP I hear it’s a slippery slope from there

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

congrats

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Good for you op. Let your freak flag fly.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

yes you're a furry now OP my glompdolences

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i'm literally a cat (the one in my av)

everybody is their avatar even if they post a pic of themselves

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Radio Paranoia posted:

This is stinky earth speaking.

Stop loving me up with trash. Thank you

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Im two rabid racoons loving in your fireplace

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Has the web reach you yet, OP?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Radio Paranoia posted:

im a dimetrodon

somebody's digging my bones

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

my spirit animal is a 15 pack of PBR that you start drinking before noon on a saturday

unleash the beast

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
Wait till you find out about the mirror dwellers OP

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Good Sphere posted:

A few years ago, when I bought my Quest 2 headset, I decided to download vrchat, and I had the absolute worst impression of any app I have ever seen. I received a showcase of every horrible thing you could witness on the internet summed up in about 15 minutes, from which point I gladly deleted it from my headset. ....

You can't just leave it at this. Examples, please

Good Sphere posted:

Something about it felt highly relatable as if it was me. This was my spirit animal thing. It did not occur to me it was a "furry", until people started exclaiming that it was. I thought furries were just dog people and anthropomorphic airplanes that pet each other compassionately? But they are also this.

From all the furries I've talked to, this is basically furry in a nutshell. Furries find manimal characters super relatable, enjoy the different ways it affords to express themselves, and the ability to play with their identity. There are as many ways to be furry online as there are ways to be online.

But also what the hell is that thing? Like, is it from a videogame or something?

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 17, 2023

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Has the web reach you yet, OP?

I don't attribute anything sexual to my fursona, so this does not apply to me luckily.

numberoneposter posted:

my spirit animal is a 15 pack of PBR that you start drinking before noon on a saturday

unleash the beast

I've seen a furry that is part soda machine that also dispenses sodas when it asks you to touch its buttons.

nullEntityRNG posted:

Wait till you find out about the mirror dwellers OP

What the hell is that?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

You can't just leave it at this. Examples, please

Well it was some multi-floor dark basement place that I was warped into by default, and I'm sorry, but for my safety I don't think I should go into specifics.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

From all the furries I've talked to, this is basically furry in a nutshell. Furries find manimal characters super relatable, enjoy the different ways it affords to express themselves, and the ability to play with their identity. There are as many ways to be furry online as there are ways to be online.

But also what the hell is that thing? Like, is it from a videogame or something?

Someone told me it was a "rikkor", but I haven't found any that look like this.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Show tail

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Good Sphere posted:

I don't attribute anything sexual to my fursona, so this does not apply to me luckily.

I’m sure you’ll change your tune pretty quick after a few Moscow Mules and a Westminster Dog Show rerun :wink:

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Good Sphere posted:

What the hell is that?

Imagine if you will spawning into a public place. Your ears pick up the distant murmurs of conversations of "why lackidasy is better than mao mao" as your eyes adjust to a brightly colored big tiddy anime catgirl prefab that you've seen in a dozen other worlds. A small motion catches tour attention at the edge of your peripheral vision. Past the giant ad for a erp vrchat group you see them. They're all overly "attractive" avatars, focuses on either big busts, big butts, or svelte forms of anime or furry creatures. Its hard to say as you can only see them from behind. They say nothing, but do seem active, as they shift in their full body tracking from time to time. They're just staring at a wall... together.

Curiosity peaked, you wonder past the large bilboard ad on finding a date in vrchat to get closer. You see the tiny indicator on the far side of the wall these beings are engrossed with. The button is almost hidden, but you see it- there is a mirror on the wall. You turn it on to see if there is something these creatures see that you don't, but as the reflection pops on and the sound of your gpu kicks on to struggle that 12fps output of poorly optimized mesh and materials, you are aware that they...are staring only at themselves. They are in a public place, and choose to only mindlessly gaze into the abyss of their own cleavage.

That is the mirror dwellers.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

It's too late for you now OP, you might as well start making your costume with the easy access flap in the rear end.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Can't wait for another furry related fiasco on these forums to happen and only being properly disposed of when fyad regulars start hanging around gbs again

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021
One Rule..

No posting from the litterbox.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I always pick khajiit in elder scrolls games

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

my avatar got fuckled too. I feel ur pain.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
i want to punt it

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
welcome to vrchat!

it has a steep learning curve, about 5k hours

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
we should do a drunken GBS vrchat hangout this weekend

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

wood elves for me because I've always wanted to EAT MY ENEMIES

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SCheeseman posted:

I always play argonian with names like Licks-his-bagel or Liaises-with-mothers. The underwater breathing and poison resistance are just too convenient to play my real fursona: bosmer.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Good Sphere posted:

Buddy if it ain't sexual to you then you ain't no furry, you're just a garden-variety weirdo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Oops! All Furries!