Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

currently in the middle of another Wire rewatch

i guess it'd been longer than i thought cos i thought Stringer lasted way longer than he did. i completely misplaced the events leading up to that

spoiled season 3 things just in case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i always thought it was rly funny how he just got completely played by everyone right before then, that guy just had the worst week of his life

what I really loved about that is how they both played each other in the end.. "it's like poetry, it rhymes.." -- George Lucas

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Ted (2012)

better than i thought going in lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

buffalo all day posted:

2001: a space odyssey. Looks incredibly good streaming on max via my OLED. Better looking than a lot of movies from the Last 10 years.
Had never seen it before but thoroughly enjoyed it. What a flex making the first 3 minutes completely black and forcing me to check that my computer was working.

wait til you hear about the moon landing

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Fargield posted:

Oppenheimer was 3 hours of shot reverse shot talking scenes intercut with explosions and physics explanations you'd hear on big bang theory. Also i fell asleep for part of it. gently caress you christopher nolan

lol I can't do 3 hour movies anymore man. gently caress that. Also Inception is a huge pile of donkey poo poo covered in AIDS.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

wrapped up season 4 of my Wire rewatch, still the best season by far

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Wrapped up my 4th or 5th Wire rewatch. Season 5 is still really weird, and still the worst season by far. Not even close enough to poison the entire series but it's best viewed as a fanfic season w/all the questionable character choices. GOATed series nonthethus.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Plutonis posted:

I could see Lester jumping in myself tbh. He is a guy who was on cold storage for decades and was finally back doing what he loved which was detective work and investigation so the frustration over the resources shortage could plausibly make him accept McNulty's stupid plan.

I have to reluctantly agree w/this but in a normal season it would take like 3-4 episodes to sway Lester. In S5 he just immediately jumps on board

5 was also the shortest season of the series so maybe if they had another couple episodes to flesh things out it wouldn't feel so rushed/fake, but we will never know.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Also RIP Bodie, the soldier who got done the worst

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Fungah! posted:

wonder if it got nailed by th 2007 writers strike, came out in 2008 so it's about the right time

iirc Ed Burns, the actual Baltimore homicide detective who wrote the series alongside David Simon, left after season 4 & it shows

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

the best scene of HBO history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aon24CbN5-M

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Plebian Parasite posted:

Watching the Fargo TV series, halfway through season 2. Billy Bob Thorton loving killed it in season 1.

Good rear end series. It wanes a bit, but it's still worth watching

I've been watching Locked Up Abroad and it randomly swapped back to the much worse UK version. If you thought US actors look way better than their real life counterparts, whoo wee. The UK people look like a different loving species from their actors

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

That Little Demon posted:

this dude is like 10000x more evil and crazy than Billy Bob lol

this

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

4 isn't bad but it's not great

The ending is nice

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Alligator (1980)

Really fun, goofy rear end movie about a girls alligator being flushed down the toilet then living in the sewers beneath town to become huge and get its revenge on the town 12 years later

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Poltergeist (1982) is a 2 hour Goosebumps episode with terrible pacing

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Fungah! posted:

it sucks with two good scenes. spielberg cant do horror to save his fuckin life

The only cool part was the big skeleton head popping out of the portal and the guy tearing his face off in the mirror

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

the first time i ever watched tango and cash was on a plane and i was cheering and laughing at the end. then i immediately made my gf watch the last 5 minutes as well, she broke up with me 2 days later

loving stupid bitch.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)

Haven't seen it since theaters, and it wasn't as good as I remembered it.. but still pretty drat good. Shame it's a Cloverfield movie

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Tried to watch The Nun (2018) and fell asleep

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Midnight Express

I feel like this has held up. The one prison guard is a spitting image for James Gandolfini. Rifki is a special piece of poo poo but he is only a product of the environment that made him, he feels like an extension of the prison itself. Young Randy Quaid is strange but he is a trip here. Moroder kills it with his score in this one.

This is one of those movies I need to watch properly since my only time seeing it was a 480p torrent in 2009

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I prefer the Rob Zombie remake where Michael Myers grew up in a trailer park to filthy parents saying stuff like "Oh he's a bastard Motherfucker from Hell anyways, the gently caress?!" and baby Michael Myers just cries.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Plutonis posted:

It's a Cloverfield movie in the same way Halloween 3 is a Halloween movie

Stfu.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Evil Dead 2 (1987) - still a classic

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

symbolic posted:

ftw. imo Army of Darkness is fun but too campy though i love the final battle, ED2 straddles the line perfectly

watching that later tonight, haven't seen it in a very long time

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

X (2022) - Sucked poo poo

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

U should check out Pearl

I think that's next week

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The Lost Boys (1987) - Absolute classic. I hate to say "they don't make em like this anymore", but they don't.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Fungah! posted:

keep your hands off eizouken! rewatch. fuckin incredible show. media about making media but its charming and heartfelt and not stuck up its own rear end. kanamori pwns

yup

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSYS_8lT4t0

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Better Watch Out (2016) - An absolute nightmare of a movie, in the bad way. It starts off goofy & silly enough and I was kinda digging it until the big reveal, which, no spoilers cos who gives a gently caress: It tries to be baby Funny Games and it falls flat in every possible way. It's so insanely bad lol, don't watch it.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Mulholland Drive (2001) - 10/10. Somehow better every time I rewatch it

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Nostradingus posted:

Evil Dead Rises. Big pile of puke IMO

watching this now, already lolled several times

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Nostradingus posted:

Evil Dead Rises. Big pile of puke IMO

somehow worse than The Haunted Mansion

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Suspiria (1977) - somehow never watched this before. It is cool as hell, highly recommended

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Leadthumb posted:

I think I'm gonna watch this next, I've only ever heard good things about it my whole life.

it's great fun if nothing else, you just have to make sure you're ready for a peak 80's movie

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Knock at the Cabin (2023) - The first Decent M. Night Shyamalan movie in over 20 years, kinda crazy to say. If you're familiar w/his movies and know that going in, it sets your expectations just right to actually enjoy it. It also has his best self-insert cameo ever. It's one of those movies where you can see everything happening before it does, but it's still enjoyable to watch. Ron Weasley plays a drunk homophobic Bostonian as well which is funny.

Dave Bautista has several good heads in it too.

Realistically this a 5.5-6/10 movie, but using the Shyamalan Curve it's bumped to 6.5-7/10.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

first 2 eps of Fargo S5, seems promising

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Bodies (2023) - Premise of the show is approximately 4 billion times cooler than the actual show. Terrible writing, MadTV tier makeup, and plotholes out the rear end due to the terrible writing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Watched Beef (2023) over the past 2 days and it was pretty good, some genuine lols to be had (the basketball game) but unfortunately it had to get extremely wacky in the final 2 or 3 episodes. Felt almost like a completely different show after the timeskip, but w/e. I'd give it a 7/10