Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

just finished Baccano! tonight and it was slick as hell. same guy behind Durarara!! and while i think i like it slightly better, Baccano! was still very good once i managed to start connecting the plot threads and character relationships & motives. watched dubbed which really nailed down the tone of the early 30s American mobster era and even if there were like 200 characters the standout ones were riveting af (Isaac & Miria, Claire, Nice & Jacuzzi, Ladd, Ennis). i guess there's a few more eps afterwards that didn't air and instead were direct-to-DVD but apparently they're not very good so think i'm gonna skip em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Mekchu posted:

i'm on a ghibli kick and rewatched nausicaa of the valley of the wind

another amazing film and i love it so much.

watched that for the first time last week and it's really drat good

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

watched the premiere of Frieren, absolute power move to release the first four eps at once but i think it worked out well to really set the contemplative and somber tone of it. used to fantasy anime either bein trash comedy isekai or along Berserk lines so this was a breath of fresh air to view Frieren's journey to learn more about the people around her in their fleeting lives compared to her longevity. feels really bittersweet in a good way, plus flashes of some pretty backdrop art and animation. apparently the manga swerves back to being kinda generic later on but i'm hopin the anime doesn't reach that point by the time it ends. also watched the first eps of a couple other seasonal premieres, Shy (pretty good) and Firefighter Daigo (deec). waitin for Apothecary Diaries and Pluto at the end of the month too. eatin good this season

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

cross-postin from the horror thread, watched the original Halloween and it's still a classic. carried by every shot of Michael with the synth score but still drat tense, especially the scenes w/ the fake ghost and Jamie Lee Curtis desperately trying to get back into the house as it cuts to him getting closer and closer. buenísimo. a friend who loves horror movies said the 2018 remake is actually pretty solid so i might check it out too

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

trying to jack off posted:

the first time i ever watched tango and cash was on a plane and i was cheering and laughing at the end. then i immediately made my gf watch the last 5 minutes as well, she broke up with me 2 days later

lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Scanners, only knew the head explosion scene before going into it. expected a more dystopian world but was pleasantly surprised it was basically just 1981 with telepaths. likewise i liked that Cameron wasn't some kind of renegade supersoldier but just a guy who didn't know wtf he was or what he was doing before he was plucked to be a recruit against Daryl. wish his performance wasn't so wooden but i guess it was his actor's first major film role ever, plus Michael Ironside made up for it opposite him. also liked how scanners had a variety of ways to utilize their powers and i kinda wish there was more to them showcased. i also did think the "a computer also has a nervous system so...you can scan into a computer!!" reveal was kinda stupid but otherwise a very good flick. the twist caught me really off-guard so props for that too

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Halloween (2018). surprisingly deec for a direct sequel 40 years later, most of the actors were w/e but paranoid prepper Jamie Lee Curtis was great. some solid kills and a couple neat shots too. not bad

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fungah! posted:

*hiding mouth with hand* you gonna watch halloween kills?

my friend suggested it but i declined cuz other plans, thinking i dodged a bullet tho

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i loved that spin on her character and how the mythos was basically while she feels tied to him, she was nothing more than a victim of wrong place and wrong time for the most traumatic night of her life. i thought that for as much as was done great in this one the sequels that followed were just real letdowns

yeah that was cool tho it was still kinda dumb setting her up like "yeah i was hoping he'd escape so i could kill him myself". otherwise, really good performance

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Evil Dead 2 (1987) - still a classic

ftw. imo Army of Darkness is fun but too campy though i love the final battle, ED2 straddles the line perfectly

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

They Live

i've become a John Carpenter convert this October, and no exception here. the beginning kinda dragged and ofc the message was on the nose but seeing Rowdy Roddy kick rear end for the better part of the last hour was worth it. love the aesthetics that come with seeing through the glasses, those aliens would've given me nightmares as a kid and are still pretty unsettling now

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

the fight over the glasses is goated

it's so good lol, feeling like it ended like three times before they start throwing hands again each time ftw

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Scream

knew the twist going in, still very good stuff. satirical but not campy and respects the material it's basing itself off while still being a good slasher flick in its own right. seeing Matthew Lillard outside of the live action Scooby-Doo movies i saw as a kid hosed me up a bit ngl. wanna watch at least one of the sequels now but i expect this was lightning in a bottle

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Fly

disgusting movie. only really gets interesting in the latter half imo but Goldblum sells it as a guy trying to remain darkly humorous in the best of a bad situation while slowly morphing into feral mania. very glad i wasn't eating anything during the finale

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Altered States

really up and down movie. the bizarre almost Holy Mountain-like hallucinations were unsettling and felt like i was being taken on the same ride as Will Hurt was, and most of the sens dep tank stuff was pretty freaky, namely him becoming blaring, intangible pure energy toward the end, some great effects with all that in the last 20 or so minutes. on the other hand, it takes some time to really get going and tries to interweave romance drama when it really shouldn't have, especially with the "love will ultimately save us" trope at the end, feels really cheesy. also the entire ape-man segment after he escapes the lab ends up just way too goofy. mixed bag but i liked it overall

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Halloween Kills

i should've listened, but my friend told me it was bad in the funny bad kinda way and i already watched 2018 with him when i posted about it, so what the hell. such a downgrade from 2018, less Michael and more stupid mob rules "humans are the real enemy" poo poo. half the kills felt like Scary Movie clumsy oafishness and there was so much callback to 1978 to try and make ppl interested. gonna finish out tonight with Halloween Ends just to complete the trilogy but im not hopeful

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Halloween Ends

one of the worst movies i've ever watched. for as stupid as Halloween Kills was at least it centered around Michael Myers. i don't give a gently caress about some weird nerd accused of manslaughter who becomes a protege of Michael Myers. absolutely boring and godawful waste of nearly two hours. would never have watched it if a friend didnt want to complete the modern trilogy, and even he admitted it was worse than he remembered.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i think we're going to need to kill your friend unfortunately

you have my axe

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

more hosed up than i thought going into it and for the first like half hour. expected a cheesy b-movie remake and got The Thing on the scale of They Live. i get that it's reductive to offer a comparison like that when describing something but that's genuinely what it felt like to me, just that creeping feeling of "trust no one" on the scale of an entire city if not nation while bein gross as hell too when the special effects called for it. weirdass cast but they made it work, fledgling Jeff Goldblum strutted his stuff and lol at Leonard Nemoy being a massive dick whenever he was on screen. good poo poo even with some weirdass camera shots at points

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Raising Arizona

i went in having read a bit about how it's one of the Coen Bros more straightforward/lighter comedies but it felt much more poignant than that, a familycentric dramedy imo. there's some really funny and more slapstick parts like the car chase where the convenience store clerk just keeps running after Nic Cage to shoot at him and there's just more and more dogs and the fight scene in the trailer showing how shittily it's constructed but most of the humor still comes from the absurd dialogue & the plot circumstances which is what i expect from the Coen Bros. Nic Cage played being a dopey yet devoted ex-con real well and Frances McDormand was great as always even if she was pretty much a bit part here. the ending dream sequence is gonna stick with me i think. in the pantheon of Coen Bros i've seen, it's below No Country and Lebowski but above Caesar (Fargo's also there but i'd have to rewatch it when i'm not completely hammered like the first time)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

herculon posted:

That’s my favorite Coen Bros film. Everyone absolutely crushes their roles.

yeah nobody felt miscast at all and everyone did well. i think what holds it back for me is just having a kind of identity crisis with the comedy/drama stuff that isn't as seamless as it is in Lebowski and some shots that kinda linger or repeat themselves without really adding much, like the gas station sequence with Hi's con friends

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Whiplash is one of the most terrifying movies i've ever watched and it's not even a horror movie. one of the best in the last decade

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

can understand entirely now its massive cult status. completely insane display of decadence with some of the most memorable songs from a movie ive heard in recent memory. everyone may be giving 110% but Tim Curry is at 150%, just a pure force of nature at all times. some uh rather dated aspects but they're not major in the long run

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Event Horizon

pretty neat, really liked the concept. jarring mix of really cool practical effects and very 90s CGI ones. seeing Sam Neill in two movies in a row being a dickhead blinded by his own job until driven insane made me lol. overall i liked it

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I got the tude now posted:

i lol every time the credits start. prodigy out of mf nowhere

said out loud "these credits go hard" as soon as it kicked in lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Saw X

i don't know if i can really talk about it much since it's my first Saw film, but i liked it overall, struck a good balance between the games and exposition to make you root for John Kramer, i thought. don't know if i have it in me to watch many more of them considering how squeamish i got. oh well

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fungah! posted:

man i miss when movies could just be like, heres two interesting characters. enjoy them.

i got that vibe a lot from The Lighthouse but yeah you don't really get that anymore

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Repo Man

went into it only having heard before it called "the most punk movie ever made" and i have to agree, beyond doing DiCaprio points every time a Circle Jerks song kicked in. plot is paper-thin and it's like 30 different characters driving around L.A., helping each other, or beating the poo poo out of each other depending on the scene but god it's a hell of a ride all the way through. just an absolute gritty thrill that was surprisingly funny, especially reflecting on it afterwards. miss the late 70s/early 80s era of movies in the city where you could get away with any crime and everyone no matter who they were just swore at everyone else. especial lmfao at the last like 20-25 minutes where the script ends and everything just gets thrown at you at once. if i saw this a decade ago it would've been my favorite movie of my high school years, but all in all, still great

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dongicus posted:

alex cox ftw. u should check out walker (1987) as well

bet

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

haven't watched Walker yet but it's insanely funny that presumably Walker on the poster is this epic badass lawman-looking guy with a chiseled jaw and rifle, and then the real Walker looks like the Stonks meme stuffed into a suit

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Godzilla Minus One: fantastic, both epic kaiju action and really well done family drama/sociopolitical commentary rolled into one epic package

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

STONE COLD 64 posted:

When Tsuchibana was going over the instructions on how the plane operates and told Koichi he had to pull the red lever to arm the bomb i thought they were setting up a fakeout where he was tricking him into ejecting so he wouldn'thave to see another comrade die in a futile manner. The way they explained later and koichi overcoming his own desire to die was so much better, i cant believe we got a Godzilla movie where the human parts not only don't suck but are really well written character pieces

yeah that owned, i thought he was going to kamikaze but held out the hope he'd swerve until the first plan failed, was pleasantly surprised by what the third option turned out to be. my dad picked up on foreshadowing i missed too since i was watching it with him, with Noda's pre-plan speech including the mention of planes without ejection seats. it's insane how i was equally invested in the humanity half along with the Godzilla half of the movie. just so good

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

they also straight up show the ejector seat on camera when they first show the cockpit

Lester posted:

yeah, the German label clearly visible. I called that instantly but Noriko coming back was some bullshit. you were obliterated on screen!!!

:sweatdrop:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

live-action The Way of the Househusband. JP TV actors are fuckin nuts

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Dictator. some funny bits but some really cringy ones too, but overall it was deec

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dungeon Meshi premiere. it's good

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fungah! posted:

its cute. senshi seems kickass

apparently his dub VA is ProZD, ftw. also Marcille's is the Nami actress from the live-action OP :staredog:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fungah! posted:

grand budapest hotel. loving rules

it rules so much, my favorite Anderson movie

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

That Little Demon posted:

its a great movie but I can't imagine it being a favorite compared to like Rushmore but yes it is fantastic

tbh i havent seen Rushmore, not most of my Anderson movies. tierlist as as follows

Budapest > Asteroid City > Tenenbaums > Fantastic Mister Fox

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Leadthumb posted:

Poor things.

Insane set design, everything had so much texture. I missed a part in the middle of the movie because I had to go to the bathroom which really pissed me off, so know I have to watch it again.
I really want to see the lobster and killing of a sacred dear now.

i thought The Lobster was fine but i also don't really care for movies that have one massive overarching weird gimmick/metaphor they dig so hard into that they kinda meander with the plot which is basically exactly what happens when it hits act two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Lester posted:

After only nine days, my favourite movie of 2023, Fallen Leaves, has been dethroned by The Holdovers. A student/mentor drama without implausible, pat 'arcs'/'growth'. A melancholy holiday film without emotional manipulation. Great jokes delivered perfectly but never out of character. Paul Giamatti plays his character in Sideways minus the blatant screenwriter wish fulfilment and he's wonderful

It's only in the local theatre this week but I'm going to try to see it again tomorrow night

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

rest in piss you won't be missed