Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

I re-watched 13 Assassins last night and it still kicks so much rear end. Absolutely gorgeous cinematography and some amazing battle sequences. There are so many killer moments in this movie (the beheading shot during harakiri, the "TOTAL MASSACRE" reveal, etc.) that it's hard to choose a favorite, but this may be the single hardest shot in modern samurai cinema:

Also, hype that I finally found a legit way to watch Battles Without Honor and Humanity (it's streaming for free on Tubi with ads right now!), so I'm going to check that out soon.

edit: 13 Assassins might be one of Miike's more restrained films, which is loving hilarious to me.

hamsauce666 fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

I'm finally getting caught up on Fargo S05 and I'm really enjoying it. The camerawork / art direction is absolutely impeccable this season and - despite some filler - I'm really enjoying the story and characters. Munch, especially, hits that perfect surreal/unreal note that the show does so well. Having him paraphrase Malcom X's "the price of freedom is death" speech and extending it to the horrors of American capitalism illustrated by Tillman and the Elder Lyon is a wild choice that somehow ends up working. If they stick the landing in the last episode I think this season will rank pretty highly for me.

I recently did a re-watch leading up to the new season and while Season 1 will always be my favorite (Billy Bob Thornton is loving CHILLING in that role), I think seasons 2 and 3 absolutely hold up and carry the series forward. Season 4 is obviously a low point, but still has some great stuff to recommend it - Chris Rock and Jason Schwartzman's performances are so much fun.

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I never got around to watching Bone Tomahawk before tonight, which is a massive failure on my part, but. I really only knew it by name & people recommending it to me over the years.. I hadn't realized it's almost 10 years old at this point lol, gently caress, anyway

Went into it blind and was completely blown away. I loved literally every second of it, it's insanely good. Top 10 all time for me at least

Hell yeah, that movie is so much fun. Basically a perfect action-horror B-movie.

I finally got around to watching Miller's Crossing, which I'd somehow missed for all these years, and it's now one of my favorite Coen Brothers' joints. It perfectly captures the neo-noir aesthetic. Great writing, great performances, and a nice dusting of Coen Bros madness magic. Kick rear end movie.

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Watched The Grand Budapest Hotel last night. A deeply charming movie. It's all *extremely* Wes Anderson, but I dig his style, so it definitely hit for me. Mad respect for director who can develop and deploy such a coherent and consistent aesthetic language in his films. Also, love him or hate him, he's a master of shot composition and framing. Just a never ending sequence of gorgeous, almost painting-like scenes. And, of course, riddled with delightful performances by a bunch of excellent actors and a truly outstanding performance by Ralph Fiennes. Very enjoyable. A solid 4.5 / 5.

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Watched The Killer last night and rather enjoyed it. Not my favorite Fincher, but I thought it was rock solid. At first I thought the internal monologue narration would wear on me, but it really helped sell the core premise and added a nice layer to the storytelling. A couple of really good action sequences and lots of great hitman procedural material. I'm not fully sold on the performances, though. Fassbender keeps getting typecast as sociopaths and it works, but he has more range that I don't think he got to fully express here. Tilda Swinton is always a delight to see on screen, but feels criminally underutilized here. Anyhow, I think it's definitely worth a look, especially if you dig Fincher or Fassbender.

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Forgot to post about this last week, but I got to go see Monkey Man in theaters and it was killer. Absolutely worth a look if you dig revenge flicks a la Oldboy (the 2003 Korean original) or John Wick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

I got the tude now posted:

not only do they reference john wick in dialogue, one of the songs in the movie is titled 'john wick mode'

Phenomenal. Gotta love a movie that wears its inspiration on its sleeve, but uses it to make something new and interesting.

I thought it was a pretty amazing directorial debut. Patel makes a number of big, interesting creative choices that don't necessarily all work, but I respect the hell out of him for swinging for the fences. The camerawork is one of them - (spoiler'd just in case someone cares) all of the shots in the first act are super tight, (presumably) representing the character's narrow hyperfocus, and widens out in the back half of the film as his skill and perspective grows. I'm not sure it fully works (it makes the action hard to follow in several scenes, especially the mediocre car chase), but drat, what a cool creative choice to commit to.