Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prescott
May 16, 2023

I’m reading the Bible so I can teach the zombies about Heaven.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwF2hZPM29o

Good Evening.

This a special night for me. Exactly three years ago, on July 15, 1976, I accepted the nomination of my party to run for President of the United States. I promised you a President who is not isolated from the people, who feels your pain, and who shares your dreams, and who draws his strength and his wisdom from you.

During the past three years I’ve spoken to you on many occasions about national concerns, the energy crisis, reorganizing the government, our nation’s economy, and issues of war and especially peace. But over those years the subjects of the speeches, the talks, and the press conferences have become increasingly narrow, focused more and more on what the isolated world of Washington thinks is important. Gradually, you’ve heard more and more about what the government thinks or what the government should be doing and less and less about our nation’s hopes, our dreams, and our vision of the future.

Ten days ago, I had planned to speak to you again about a very important subject -- energy. For the fifth time I would have described the urgency of the problem and laid out a series of legislative recommendations to the Congress. But as I was preparing to speak, I began to ask myself the same question that I now know has been troubling many of you: Why have we not been able to get together as a nation to resolve our serious energy problem?

It’s clear that the true problems of our nation are much deeper -- deeper than gasoline lines or energy shortages, deeper even than inflation or recession. And I realize more than ever that as President I need your help. So, I decided to reach out and to listen to the voices of America…

…I know, of course, being President, that government actions and legislation can be very important. That’s why I’ve worked hard to put my campaign promises into law, and I have to admit, with just mixed success. But after listening to the American people, I have been reminded again that all the legislation in the world can’t fix what’s wrong with America. So, I want to speak to you first tonight about a subject even more serious than energy or inflation. I want to talk to you right now about a fundamental threat to American democracy.

I do not mean our political and civil liberties. They will endure. And I do not refer to the outward strength of America, a nation that is at peace tonight everywhere in the world, with unmatched economic power and military might.

The threat is nearly invisible in ordinary ways.

It is a crisis of confidence.

It is a crisis that strikes at the very heart and soul and spirit of our national will. We can see this crisis in the growing doubt about the meaning of our own lives and in the loss of a unity of purpose for our nation.

The erosion of our confidence in the future is threatening to destroy the social and the political fabric of America.

The confidence that we have always had as a people is not simply some romantic dream or a proverb in a dusty book that we read just on the Fourth of July. It is the idea which founded our nation and has guided our development as a people. Confidence in the future has supported everything else -- public institutions and private enterprise, our own families, and the very Constitution of the United States. Confidence has defined our course and has served as a link between generations. We’ve always believed in something called progress. We’ve always had a faith that the days of our children would be better than our own.

Our people are losing that faith, not only in government itself but in the ability as citizens to serve as the ultimate rulers and shapers of our democracy. As a people we know our past and we are proud of it. Our progress has been part of the living history of America, even the world. We always believed that we were part of a great movement of humanity itself called democracy, involved in the search for freedom; and that belief has always strengthened us in our purpose. But just as we are losing our confidence in the future, we are also beginning to close the door on our past.

In a nation that was proud of hard work, strong families, close-knit communities, and our faith in God, too many of us now tend to worship self-indulgence and consumption. Human identity is no longer defined by what one does, but by what one owns. But we’ve discovered that owning things and consuming things does not satisfy our longing for meaning. We’ve learned that piling up material goods cannot fill the emptiness of lives which have no confidence or purpose.

The symptoms of this crisis of the American spirit are all around us. For the first time in the history of our country a majority of our people believe that the next five years will be worse than the past five years. Two-thirds of our people do not even vote. The productivity of American workers is actually dropping, and the willingness of Americans to save for the future has fallen below that of all other people in the Western world…

…Often you see paralysis and stagnation and drift. You don’t like it, and neither do I. What can we do?

First of all, we must face the truth, and then we can change our course. We simply must have faith in each other, faith in our ability to govern ourselves, and faith in the future of this nation. Restoring that faith and that confidence to America is now the most important task we face. It is a true challenge of this generation of Americans…

…We know the strength of America. We are strong. We can regain our unity. We can regain our confidence. We are the heirs of generations who survived threats much more powerful and awesome than those that challenge us now. Our fathers and mothers were strong men and women who shaped a new society during the Great Depression, who fought world wars and who carved out a new charter of peace for the world.

We ourselves are the same Americans who just ten years ago put a man on the moon. We are the generation that dedicated our society to the pursuit of human rights and equality. And we are the generation that will win the war on the energy problem and in that process, rebuild the unity and confidence of America.

We are at a turning point in our history. There are two paths to choose. One is a path I’ve warned about tonight, the path that leads to fragmentation and self-interest. Down that road lies a mistaken idea of freedom, the right to grasp for ourselves some advantage over others. That path would be one of constant conflict between narrow interests ending in chaos and immobility. It is a certain route to failure.

All the traditions of our past, all the lessons of our heritage, all the promises of our future point to another path -- the path of common purpose and the restoration of American values. That path leads to true freedom for our nation and ourselves. We can take the first steps down that path…

…I do not promise you that this struggle for freedom will be easy. I do not promise a quick way out of our nation’s problems, when the truth is that the only way out is an all-out effort. What I do promise you is that I will lead our fight, and I will enforce fairness in our struggle, and I will ensure honesty. And above all, I will act…

…Little by little we can and we must rebuild our confidence. We can spend until we empty our treasuries, and we may summon all the wonders of science. But we can succeed only if we tap our greatest resources -- America’s people, America’s values, and America’s confidence.

I have seen the strength of America in the inexhaustible resources of our people. In the days to come, let us renew that strength in the struggle for an energy-secure nation.

In closing, let me say this: I will do my best, but I will not do it alone. Let your voice be heard. Whenever you have a chance, say something good about our country. With God’s help and for the sake of our nation, it is time for us to join hands in America. Let us commit ourselves together to a rebirth of the American spirit. Working together with our common faith we cannot fail.

Thank you and good night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

jimmy dumbass

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

SHut up Jimmy

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
go gently caress yourself, moron

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I'm extremely confident that Carter was one of history's greatest villains.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I think Carter was the least awful president of my lifetime and if you think I'm damning him with faint praise, you're goddamn right I am

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Peanut President posted:

go gently caress yourself, moron

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

is this bitch dead yet

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Dude really hates East Timor

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Filthy Hans posted:

I think Carter was the least awful president of my lifetime and if you think I'm damning him with faint praise, you're goddamn right I am

He's the person most responsible for Afghanistan being the way it is today and began America's descent into neoliberalism so to me he's one of the worst.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Weka posted:

He's the person most responsible for Afghanistan being the way it is today and began America's descent into neoliberalism so to me he's one of the worst.

Who is better? They are all awful OP.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Filthy Hans posted:

that's not what I think.

I think you're old as poo poo!

Weka
May 5, 2019

forkboy84 posted:

Who is better? They are all awful OP.

Donald J Trump.
Biden probably.
I'm not a good enough American politics knower to know if Carter or Reagan did more to advance neoliberalism.
Clinton only lightly (for America) bombed Serbia and didn't completely destroy it's social fabric and neoliberalism was already a fair accompli.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Filthy Hans posted:

you're old

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

Donald J Trump.
Biden probably.
I'm not a good enough American politics knower to know if Carter or Reagan did more to advance neoliberalism.
Clinton only lightly (for America) bombed Serbia and didn't completely destroy it's social fabric and neoliberalism was already a fair accompli.

Biden isn’t even out of office and has been one of the more disastrous presidencies of the post-war period, and don’t forget Clinton deregulated derivatives

Ford is still probably better than Carter as he didn’t really do much and Nixon never was going to jail

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:26 on May 20, 2023

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Would like to take a moment and say to the person on the av-buying spree: What the fuck is wrong with you? Fucking disagreeing on the wording of polling questions means that I support Israel murdering people in Gaza? And somehow despite caring enough to plaster that fucking pic
is he still alive

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Thought the op was permabanned guy. Apologies.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Quotey posted:

Thought the op was permabanned guy. Apologies.

no its a different permabanned guy, back under a very similar name

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
What we need more than anything are people who are confident in America, Confidence Men, if you will.

*Ronald Reagan becomes president*

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

is this bitch dead yet

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Milo and POTUS posted:

that's not what I think.

I think you're old as poo poo!

Milo and POOPASS

Wart on Penis

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Weka posted:

I'm extremely confident that Carter was one of history's greatest villains.

https://youtu.be/czfKPaypNsU

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
that's interesting

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Jimmy Farter

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
psycho fundie bitch

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
they briefed jimmy carter about alien life and it shattered his worldview so he cried

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Tighclops posted:

they briefed jimmy carter about alien life and it shattered his worldview so he cried

only because in the briefing jimmy learned that the aliens had legalized abortion

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Would like to take a moment and say to the person on the av-buying spree: What the fuck is wrong with you? Fucking disagreeing on the wording of polling questions means that I support Israel murdering people in Gaza? And somehow despite caring enough to plaster that fucking pic

lumpentroll posted:

is he still alive

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

that's interesting

she lov d clowns

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
thats why she married one hahahaha

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 90 days!

Badactura posted:

Jimmy Farter

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

based on my extensive 15 minutes of googling, jimmy carter sure does sound like he sucks poo poo and that his crisis of confidence was "no one needs to know we torture people, or utterly hosed up in vietnam, or that we intentionally manipulate huge swathes of the american public and its leadership to the whims of the CIA, and anyone saying otherwise needs to be dealt with."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aemyhNJUAzQ

that's frank snepp, the ex-cia-torturer in vietnam who somehow hasn't been suicided yet, openly describing exactly how the pride and ignorance of the press is manipulated by the cia into manipulating the public, up to and including congress

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Snepp

quote:

Snepp wrote a memoir, Decent Interval, about the evacuation of US personnel from Saigon. It was published in 1977 without prior approval from the CIA Publications Review Board. Prior to publication, and while still employed at the CIA, Snepp attempted to tell the inspector general about the problems surrounding the evacuation, but was told that it "could not deal with anything so controversial".

After the book was published, CIA Director Stansfield Turner pushed for Snepp to be sued and, despite the objections of some Department of Justice officials, Turner prevailed. Since publication of the book could not be stopped under the constitutional law forbidding prior restraint of the press, the CIA sued Snepp for breach of contract. Snepp was accused of violating the non-disclosure agreement he had signed when he joined the agency that forbade publication of any material about CIA operations without the prior consent of the agency. Ironically, President Jimmy Carter permitted the lawsuit against Snepp at the same time he had proposed the creation of a special unit to provide protection for civil service whistle blowers. In a press conference, Carter said that Snepp did not qualify as a whistleblower as he did not "reveal anything that would lead to an improvement in our security apparatus or the protection of Americans' civil rights." Carter also claimed that Snepp had "revealed our nation's utmost secrets", a charge which was not part of the government's suit.

it's surreal to live in a hypernormalized state where things like snepp's interview or atwater's interview or snowden's leaks or the crazyhorse video or the myriad other "yes, really, this is exactly how we conspired and continue to manipulate people at scale in the service of immiserating/torturing/murdering unimaginable numbers of people" things are freely available to read, yet simultaneously their existence and relative availability do apparently nothing to affect the efficacy or ongoing impact of said manipulations

maybe I'll get some taco bell

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Anybody bring up Carter instituting American Fighting Man's Day to stan for Mỹ Lai massacre perpetrator William Calley? Always a classic.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Horseshoe theory posted:

Anybody bring up Carter instituting American Fighting Man's Day to stan for Mỹ Lai massacre perpetrator William Calley? Always a classic.

:Nixonishly: jesus christ

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Scooby Doo can doo-doo, but Jimmy Carter is smarter

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Forrest gump: Jim-may

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

A Russian troll farm posted:

Scooby Doo can doo-doo, but Jimmy Carter is smarter

extremely questionable

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Forrest gump: Jim-may

*Forrest Gump meeting President Jimmy Carter*

FG: Well hello sir, it shore is a honor to meet you

JC: It's my honor to present you with the Presidential Medal of Fitness that you earned in high school but were never issued, a great wrong that is finally rectified

FG: Thank you thank you thank you; I'm your biggest fan I named my boy Jimmy after you

JC: Oh, you have a son, I'd like to meet him too

FG: I've got him right here sir, in my bag, let me pull him out so you can introduce yourselves

JC: You've got your son in a bag?

FG: Hyuck hyuck no sir, Jimmy is my pet rabbit

JC: *dies*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
:synpa: