Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

harveys zoo zoos posted:

thanks for the tips and explanation about youtube. i was wondering why i got videos about flat earth in my list like what the hell man that's just dumb. even i know that's not right come on.

and the nfts and crypto things just seem like scams to me. did people get a lot dumber in 30 years or what. or maybe we've been dumb all along i don't know

we were always dumb but now we're dumber AND it's all more visible thanks to social media. major factors have included consolidation of the news and entertainment media into like 5 companies and the construction of an all-encompassing right wing alternate media ecosystem that people can disappear into, spearheaded by fox news. basically, every ominous social trend that people riffed on in 1980s dystopias kept going and got much worse, and a good 30-40% of the population now totally agrees with the john birch society

the cryptocurrency thing has some other factors too, like people feeling like it's about time for a new economic frontier to open up and that not happening, and also seeing that they can't get ahead in the normal economy, with scam artists stepping in to sell them hope. it's also super-convenient for intelligence services and law enforcement because everything in cryptocurrency is publicly logged forever (but you also need manpower to comb over the records and connect people to their activities)

in general it's people trying to squeeze the last blood from the stone that is the internet

Tungsten fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Haverchuck posted:

"its really amazing how the actions of goons and mods are so freaking far beyond the pale that its actually impossible for a bystander to believe."

proposal: i am going to make an environmentally sustainable yoga retreat in hawaii

reality: a y2k survivalist paid goons a "food stipend" to help me clearcut a rainforest, dig a road by hand, torture and mutilate animals to death on camera, and bathe in/drink from an improperly filtered kiddy pool that wild hogs poo poo and pissed in

proposal: i am going to make a fun zipline for kids at camp

reality: a goon spent tens of thousands of dollars constructing a machine that kills children, entirely by accident

proposal: a fad diet thread in the exercise forum

reality: a mentally ill man resembling a melted candle, the pied piper of ham joints, told people that eating nothing but eggs and bacon and lard in paint buckets (they were literally buying and eating buckets full of lard in the name of good health) would not only make them lose weight, but was so healthy it would cure heart disease and cancer. an enormous fat powerlifter who cant run for 20 seconds probated and banned anyone who challenged this wisdom until it lead to a man barely in his 20s being prescribed statins.

proposal: a thread about animal husbandry in the pet forum

reality: a moderator unrepentantly killed animals with ac/dc hadoukens and probated people who asked questions

proposal: a forum for "responsible drug users" and "harm reduction"

reality: a man falls through the earth and into parisian catacombs. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of skeletons. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "my nigga have u tried lsd"

Copy pasted this Duncan Roberts post from a google search. Also iirc the Hawaii yoga retreat people got a bunch of their expensive gear stolen right away lol, but I might be misremembering its been so long.

the yoga retreat goons left the keys in a piece of heavy equipment meant for taking down trees, and they secured it by chaining it to a tree

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Dark Off posted:

yeah but the new thing is that scams can have billion dollar funding now. You cant trust the funding to be asecurity against a scam.

a co-founder of amway became head of the national chamber of commerce in 1980

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Friend posted:

Only thing that pings my "this guy is fake" alarm is that he already knows Musk is a dipshit. I'm a little suspicious.

Speaking of, Harvey, I rarely open twitter these days but a good thread to follow here is the PYF (post your favorite) Tweets, which is like a nice consolidated feed of usually good and funny tweets and occasionally poo poo I don't have any context for so I scroll past, and none of it requires having a Twitter account

idk elon musk's personality is like precisely the opposite of someone who would do well in prison

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

you're no hakan

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

i only wish we had gotten some backstory on lamar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004