Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prescott
May 16, 2023

I’m reading the Bible so I can teach the zombies about Heaven.
I’ve known so many people who talked a big game about their lack of faith, but the minute their mom got cancer or they found themselves upside down in a car crash they found themselves praying. Can you really call yourself an atheist until you’ve looked Death in the eye and didn’t call out to the cosmos to save you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I got married in a church so I guess I'm just agnostic now op

Prescott
May 16, 2023

Smugworth posted:

”You are my partner, my conscience outside myself, and the standard of beauty and grace by which I will forever measure all expression. And sure, I’ll humor your little dumbass ritual since you’ve failed to grow up, little girl.”

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i dont know op i got nerfed with a disability and chronic pain that went undiagnosed and unmedicated for a year and despite everything i tried, clasping my little hands together and begging my apartment wall for help wasn't one of them

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
When you're in an emotional state you aren't thinking rationally. So it's what you believe when you are calm and collected and not when you are about to die that counts.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You're not a real atheist if you dont wear a fedora, its like that little jewish hat but for followers of athe

Prescott
May 16, 2023

Schweinhund posted:

When you're in an emotional state you aren't thinking rationally. So it's what you believe when you are calm and collected and not when you are about to die that counts.
Yeah wow I really miss feeling cool and collected all day instead of filled with unquenchable passion.

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

God is a woman op

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Titties is my communion

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

When my car flips over I pray to the flying spaghetti monster and when my mom got cancer I called out to the great juju under the mountain. Checkmate, lib.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Smugworth posted:

Congrats!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
What if something happens and out of the blue you find yourself praying to Allah, or Shiva or something? Like, "oh poo poo, not only am I religious I guess but I'm Islamic, well hey, didn't expect that."

Personally I'm waiting for the MMA showdown between all gods so we can really figure out the one true religion (that is totally real and a thing okay) once and for all.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Covid owned my dad and I built some stairs into the side of a mountain about it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

There I was, doing moves to dodge God's attacks which would turn me Christian if any of them hit, luckily I had practiced the moves in creative mode for a long time before finally doing them for real. God didn't hit me once with any of his attacks, the Atheism achievement popped not longer after. Only a small amount of players actually have the achievement though a lot of people say they have it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If you don't have a god just steal someone elses. Romans figured that poo poo out millenia ago. Your jesus? Hes a gay lady now.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I'm atheist, but I still take the Lord's name in vain.

"God drat it!" after sliding my truck sideways off a highway at 65 mph and rolling twice. It wasn't a test, just black ice. I think I also said, "Jesus Christ motherfucker".

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
It's fine, op. I'm enlightened by my intelligence. Thanks though

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

ikanreed posted:

It's fine, op. I'm enlightened by my intelligence. Thanks though

I am not, yet I am euphoric

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Internetjack posted:

I'm atheist, but I still take the Lord's name in vain.

"God drat it!" after sliding my truck sideways off a highway at 65 mph and rolling twice. It wasn't a test, just black ice. I think I also said, "Jesus Christ motherfucker".

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
My religion is, I'm a loving idiot, and let me tell you my faith has never been stronger

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

the lamb of god nutted all over my face and now I'm presbyterian ????

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Learning about Gold Star Atheism ITT.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Prescott posted:

I’ve known so many people who talked a big game about their lack of faith, but the minute their mom got cancer or they found themselves upside down in a car crash they found themselves praying. Can you really call yourself an atheist until you’ve looked Death in the eye and didn’t call out to the cosmos to save you?

This is legit a good point. My parents have been in the hospital multiple times for potentially life threatening reasons but I never looked back once. Instead of god, I placed my faith in medical science and people who have spent at least a decade in school.

Das Boo posted:

Learning about Gold Star Atheism ITT.

Literally, unironically, unholier than thou. :colbert:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Yes, I can.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Can you really say that pixies don't exist if you haven't spent a weekend looking under flowers with a magnifying glass?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Prescott posted:

I've nearly killed myself doing stupid poo poo a few times and no god looked back at me, op

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
slingtv was buffering all night when i was trying to watch the hockey playoffs and you say my faith hasn't been tested you inconsiderate gently caress

Prescott
May 16, 2023

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Can you really say that pixies don't exist if you haven't spent a weekend looking under flowers with a magnifying glass?
When a mushroom ring springs up overnight on your daily walking route, and your first visceral reaction is how neat myceliums are.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

UUuuuuuuuuggggghhhhhhh...

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

"Either way, it's going to hurt like crazy."
unless prayer unlocks my brain ill stick to moping

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
It’s never occurred to me to pray to or even consider a divine being op. Don’t get me wrong I have a few questions about the nature of the universe but I believe everything is run by some basic underlying physical rules and not a sentient being. I guess that makes me an atheist by definition but gun to my head I’m probably more agnostic because I just don’t fuckin know op.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Calling out to the cosmos is not the same as praying. Even an atheist can acknowledge a higher power while blatantly disbelieving the absolute bullshit that is any conceived organized religion, which are just modern-day masks for being a piece of poo poo cultist/bigot anyway.

Atheism is just a much as a rejection of the hate-culture of any religion on this planet, as it is a demand for additional evidence. I didn't forsake religion because it didn't add up, I forsook it because the people who practice it are all vile trash; it just happens to also not make any loving sense because it was created by idiotic inbred zealots hundreds of years ago.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

The events that have been definitive in turning some of my past friends to religion are some of the dumbest things I've ever heard in my life. Not a single one of them was awe inspiring. Oh really, you didn't die in a car crash? Must be God and not the decades of automotive safety engineering. Yes, he chose to save you instead of impoverished children because you're so loving special.

Prescott
May 16, 2023

Jelly posted:

The events that have been definitive in turning some of my past friends to religion are some of the dumbest things I've ever heard in my life. Not a single one of them was awe inspiring. Oh really, you didn't die in a car crash? Must be God and not the decades of automotive safety engineering. Yes, he chose to save you instead of impoverished children because you're so loving special.
Dont you find most of the people who share your political beliefs came to them through embarrassing and inchoate paths?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Prescott posted:

When a mushroom ring springs up overnight on your daily walking route, and your first visceral reaction is how neat myceliums are.

That's what I meant to say, toadstools! Pixies don't live under flowers they live under toadstools. Oh God, why did you make me so stupid?!

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Prescott posted:

Dont you find most of the people who share your political beliefs came to them through embarrassing and inchoate paths?
On one hand you have compassion and socialized problem solving. On the other hand, well, it's a cult of anti-science and hatred where the only goal is for your "enemies" to suffer.

So, no I don't feel that people who share the concept of compassion came to that belief through "inchoate" paths.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Religion is just the result of pattern recognition going into overdrive OP. An evolutionary tool that got us out of the caves but causes us to see "meaning" (patterns) where there are likely none.

Nothing happens for any reason, and everything happens for every reason.

What you're really asking is if most humans would resort to pleading to the "pattern understander" (God? Allah? w/e) as a means of comfort during moments of stress and terror, and yes of course. Survival means grabbing at every life raft - even distant and likely nonexistent ones. The species who did not do this all died already.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

sure okay posted:

Religion is just the result of pattern recognition going into overdrive OP. An evolutionary tool that got us out of the caves but causes us to see "meaning" (patterns) where there are likely none.

Nothing happens for any reason, and everything happens for every reason.

What you're really asking is if most humans would resort to pleading to the "pattern understander" (God? Allah? w/e) as a means of comfort during moments of stress and terror, and yes of course. Survival means grabbing at every life raft - even distant and likely nonexistent ones. The species who did not do this all died already.
I go to therapy instead of church.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There has never been any point of catastrophe or drama or whatever in my life where I put even the slightest bit of consideration into prayer, OP. The phrase "there are no atheists in foxholes" is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard because I have been in life-threatening situations and never once have I thought about throwing out a hail mary "just in case" prayer, the idea of prayer as a response to anything is not even in my lexicon of thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
If God is all knowing he can always hear me therefore I am always praying