Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
This is a feedback thread for telling me how you feel about the state of Rapidly Going Deaf. I do have an agenda with this thread. I've been talking with Junpei Hyde about RGD, and we'd like to add what we might call a posting-centred mod. Someone who is here and is posting a bunch. I recognize that might be a bit tricky because podcasts as a topic lends itself to a forum full of megathreads and there's not necessarily a ton of overlap.

So tell me: what do you like about the forum? what could be better? Which are the threads that could benefit most from an actively-posting mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Seems fine to me honestly. One time someone (Stux I think?) ate a probe that I think was unwarranted but it wasn't really a big deal and it kinda blew over after everyone made some jokes about it. I certainly don't think the forum is over-moderated. In fact, I rarely see any moderator action at all, but I don't think it really needs more moderation either. It's pretty chill. Sometimes there's an annoying/boring discussion but that's the nature of a forum I think. When it happens I just unbookmark whatever thread it was and then jump back in after a few days. People always move on sooner or later. Obviously I can only speak for the threads I read.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

That's good to hear. May I ask which are the threads that you read? I'm curious what kind of crossover this subforum gets, as opposed to how many people just stick to a single thread.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

The threads I follow don’t get a ton of posts day to day and I really can’t say the last time there was anything close to trouble in any of em.

Having a hands-off mod in a sleepy forum where threads can be a decade old or more isn’t a bad thing, imo

e: I read the threads for recommendations, TAFS, dollop, doughboys, trueanon, street fight, adam carolla/loveline, bein ian, and lemonparty

WEH fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 24, 2023

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

That's good to hear. May I ask which are the threads that you read? I'm curious what kind of crossover this subforum gets, as opposed to how many people just stick to a single thread.

Online creators, McElroy podcasts, The Dollop, Knowledge Fight, The F Plus, and Drawfee.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

No real issues but any chance you can rename the "Your Kickstart Sucks" thread to "Your Kickstarter Sucks"? I realized a while back I mistitled the thread and it's been bugging me.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4016632

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I only regularly read the Online Creators (youtube video) and the Former Super Best Friends threads here. The Online Creators thread pops off sometimes, but honestly it's been a lot slower in recent months. Twitter declining, a lot of the big people everyone follows putting out content less frequently, and some posters being banned or no longer posting there over the months/years seems to have chilled it out. Some of the larger RGD threads could probably use an IK if a dedicated RGD mod doesn't participate in the thread, just because more active threads means eventually some kind of argument happens. Or maybe someone wants a humorous thread title change? Or someone says "Baba Booey" in the thread once.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
having a largely hands off mod is good and having thread iks works fine with it. i dont see why it needs to change

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

No real issues but any chance you can rename the "Your Kickstart Sucks" thread to "Your Kickstarter Sucks"? I realized a while back I mistitled the thread and it's been bugging me.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4016632

Done

Nuns with Guns posted:

I only regularly read the Online Creators (youtube video) and the Former Super Best Friends threads here. The Online Creators thread pops off sometimes, but honestly it's been a lot slower in recent months. Twitter declining, a lot of the big people everyone follows putting out content less frequently, and some posters being banned or no longer posting there over the months/years seems to have chilled it out. Some of the larger RGD threads could probably use an IK if a dedicated RGD mod doesn't participate in the thread, just because more active threads means eventually some kind of argument happens. Or maybe someone wants a humorous thread title change? Or someone says "Baba Booey" in the thread once.

For the popping off stuff, do you (or others, feel free to chime in) feel like bad derails happen with much frequency?

Gone Fashing posted:

having a largely hands off mod is good and having thread iks works fine with it. i dont see why it needs to change

This does seem to be the direction the discussion is going, but I am interested in hearing more from this sub's posters. (Especially if anyone has different or otherwise less positive experiences.)

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
oh for reference btw the only threads I read here are TAFS, lemonparty, and true anon :cheerdoge:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I just follow the Chapo, E1, and recommendations threads. The last one solely to try to get more people to listen to E1. I've seen no problem with the level of moderation in any of those. The Chapo thread isn't good but I don't think moderation would be able to fix it.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

junpei doing a good job at slapping down problems and being light touch. bonus points for destroying bust rodd being gross.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
just leave it as is, no reason to change anything or to get heavy handed.

i read tafs, matt & shane, lemonparty.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Hand Knit posted:

For the popping off stuff, do you (or others, feel free to chime in) feel like bad derails happen with much frequency?

as a perennial instigator, its a self-cleaning environment, imo. i enjoy rubbernecking several threads but only post in the creator thread. its fine tho imo

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I only keep up with Online Creators and Giant Bomb threads in here, but both are reasonably chill most of the time. If that general atmosphere applies to the rest of the forum, I agree that the current level of moderation probably doesn't need adjustment until something changes.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Hand Knit posted:

I think it was overblown with the online creators/internet personality thread tbh. Sometimes it was a silly extended argument. Sometimes one person would fly off the handle because they had no chill. Sometimes it was just people biting on obvious trolling. It's a thread that draws in a large intersection of people who don't interact otherwise, so idk I think misunderstanding jokes, some defensiveness, or "not getting" some stuff is bound to happen. As far as I've seen, the derails aren't as bad or more frequent than the average PYF or GBS thread, where the conversation inevitably drifts into chat.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

:cheers:

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
the earwolf thread should've been renamed the hollywood handbook thread like 5 years ago but other than that the forum is good if a bit slow

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

I was inactive for like 10 years and now I post to one thread about a podcast about stupid podcasts, and everyone has been pretty chill there, even if they don't like the show. Moderation seems fine.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah, to be clear, this discussion is happening because I don't exactly post much if at all anymore, and wasn't sure if that was really a good fit for a mod

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

RGD has basically chugged along without major issue for years and years. If something does happen, it's reported and dealt with as needed.

There's no reason to fix what isn't broken.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I started reading the online creators thread recently and as a new participant it’s gotten testy a couple times but nowhere near needing mod intervention. If the long timers are saying it’s fine it’s good enough for being accessible to new users imo.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
talking about red bar should get you executed

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

John Romero posted:

talking about red bar should get you executed

what's red bar?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Hand Knit posted:

what's red bar?

Nothing much. What's red bar with you?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

101 posted:

Nothing much. What's red bar with you?

I don't want to get myself executed.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
if this is a ploy to get Imhotep to post here you're doing a great job

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Arivia posted:

I started reading the online creators thread recently and as a new participant it’s gotten testy a couple times but nowhere near needing mod intervention. If the long timers are saying it’s fine it’s good enough for being accessible to new users imo.

that thread should be incinerated tia

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The only thing wrong about the Online Creators thread is the massive derails that have happen when the Snyderverse is mentioned and maybe a bit of cud chewing over long ago youtube dramas esp. Channel Awesome

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Echoing what people have said that overall things seem to be working well here, and if it ain't broke don't fix it. I think reframing the question might also help too:

Hand Knit posted:

what could be better? Which are the threads that could benefit most from an actively-posting mod?

Junpei Hyde posted:

Yeah, to be clear, this discussion is happening because I don't exactly post much if at all anymore, and wasn't sure if that was really a good fit for a mod

I'd turn it back to you both: how often are there reports from RGD as a whole, and how often are you able to make a quick decision as a moderator about them even if you don't necessarily have experience with the thread it's coming from? Because it would seem like the answers are "not a whole lot" and "it's obvious when someone reported is doing something insanely stupid", and if that's the case the system is working! If a thread or two ever gets seems like it's getting a little rowdy maybe have someone on standby as an IK to add until the stupidity is over, but if the flow of reports is pretty low then a full mod is probably overkill.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

fez_machine posted:

The only thing wrong about the Online Creators thread is the massive derails that have happen when the Snyderverse is mentioned and maybe a bit of cud chewing over long ago youtube dramas esp. Channel Awesome

Old youtube dramas like CA are less sad than current ones so it’s easier to discusss.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Cael posted:

Echoing what people have said that overall things seem to be working well here, and if it ain't broke don't fix it. I think reframing the question might also help too:

I'd turn it back to you both: how often are there reports from RGD as a whole, and how often are you able to make a quick decision as a moderator about them even if you don't necessarily have experience with the thread it's coming from? Because it would seem like the answers are "not a whole lot" and "it's obvious when someone reported is doing something insanely stupid", and if that's the case the system is working! If a thread or two ever gets seems like it's getting a little rowdy maybe have someone on standby as an IK to add until the stupidity is over, but if the flow of reports is pretty low then a full mod is probably overkill.

From what I see, adminside, is that there aren't a whole lot of reports and when they do happen Junpei deals with them quickly. However, there's a phenomenon that shows up from time to time, especially in megathreads with a settled group of regulars. This is where a thread sorta develops its own set of norms and expectations and so bad poo poo manages to really take hold and nobody reports it because everyone who sees it treats it as normal. (The extreme case of this is the GBS deviantart thread.) So based on that "no reports," while broadly good, isn't always enough to say "all's good, keep it as is."

I guess another thing would be that there may be the sort of not-rising-to-requiring-a-report stuff, or the sort of doesn't-require-a-probation level stuff, where a thread would just sort of benefit from an actively posting mod.

Like, it doesn't seem like there's any urgent issues here, and we're dealing with stuff on the level of "would be nice" rather than "urgent problem needing fixing." I'm just explaining why this is worth exploring, even if there's no issue with reports being seen and handled.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the internet creators thread gave us the delphisage "shinto culture" encounter so it should be preserved forever

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
The online creators thread is a good thread with that comes down with a case of the bad posts once in a while. I think those instances have been dealt with individually as they’ve come up and it’s been fine, but my finger is far from the pulse of that thread.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My usual solution to the internet creators thread derails is to glaze my eyes over and find a video on literally any topic to post with the hopes that other like-minded people will engage so the thread doesn't drown in debate on one thing.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Internet creators sometimes throws up "current youtuber drama" which I simply cannot read but that's not nessecarily a bug

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Make it so the online creators thread posters can only post in that thread. Anywhere else and it's an instant perma.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

i read a handful of threads here and the forums pretty chill because generally the threads self select for people who would mostly get along. creator thread has a huge scope, so you get a wider slice of people, so it gets rowdy. doesn't really seem like a problem though. doubt you could break it up into smaller threads at this point either, so its whatever

using more thread IKs here with a hands off mod has worked so far imo

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

E- whoops never mind

Snowy fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

posting my 8 hour video essay about the history of the online creators thread where i play three distinct characters and do at least four accents