Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Lockpicking as a hobby is like being really into puzzle boxes. It's definitely loser nerd poo poo. One of the best aspects is that you can gut a lock and add new pins and turn it into a challenge lock for other lockpickers to try. It can get really creative.This post mostly focuses on single pin picking, but feel free to talk about other aspects of the hobby as a whole. As extensive as this thread turned out, there's so much I've left out.

Is this legal?
In most of the US/World, owning lockpicks is legal. They're tools just like a screwdriver or a hammer. Probably not a great idea to carry them while out and about because all cops are bastards and they are not required to know the law before making a bad day for you, even if you're 100% in the right and legal.

It is illegal to possess lockpicks in Nevada, Ohio, and Virginia. It is illegal to conceal lockpicks in Mississippi... you know, like in your pocket or bag. Please check your local laws before getting into this hobby.

So having said all that:

:siren: Thread Rule :siren:
Do not talk about breaking the law. Do not ask for advice about breaking the law. Do not talk about trying to pick locks that are "in use". Do not try to circumvent this rule or try to e-lawyer it in any way. This thread is about Lockpicking as a hobby.

How does lockpicking work?
Let's focus on Single Pin Picking a typical pin-tumbler lock. There's a set of pins (typically 4-7) that keep the core from turning. A driver pin is stacked on a key pin and they are held down by a spring. If the key pins are pushed up into position (usually all at the same time by a key), space between the driver pin and the key pin will be lined up on a shear line, allowing them all to separate and the core will be free to turn. By putting tension on the core (with a tension wrench), you can attempt to use a lockpick to individually push the key pins into position. Because you're putting tension on the core, pushing up on a keypin can force it's driver pin into the set position that's then held in place by the tensioned core. Only one of the driver pins at a time will be ready to be picked at a time though, so you'll need to test each one and remember which ones you have picked or you risk oversetting the pin and may need to restart from the beginning to make it accessible again. This can be made more difficult by special types of pins called "security pins" that can have different shapes that can trick lockpickers into making them feel like a pin has been set, or otherwise make the lockpicking more difficult.

Typical Single-Pin Picking
https://i.imgur.com/TrjGiV8.mp4

Single-Pin Picking with a Diamond Pick

Raking involves hitting all of those pins multiple times in quick succession in the hope that they'll set themselves properly. They are not precision tools and generally considered a low-skill attack. Works better on locks without security pins, and with less variety in pin heights.
https://i.imgur.com/WzRnD9w.mp4

Zipping is similar to raking in that involves putting your pick all the way inside and then lifting upwards while pulling out quickly. It puts a lot of wear on your pick and lock so you really shouldn't do this. I'll VERY OCCASIONALLY do it slowly and without a lot of force with a hook just to try and unstick a pin, but it's never very successful.
https://i.imgur.com/ITmAR9z.mp4

Common Types of Locks
These are the ones that are common for hobbyist picking.

Pin-Tumbler: Uses pins of varying length to prevent a lock from opening.
Dimple: A type of pin-tumbler lock that uses the side of a key for bidding rather than the top edge.
Wafer: Uses flat "wafers" inside instead of circular pins.
Warded: Uses obstructions that prevent incorrect keys from entering and rotating. Very few moving parts.
Disc-detainer: Uses rotating discs as locking components.

Lockpicks
A non-exhaustive list.

Hooks
  • Short Hook: Bread and butter lockpick. Very standard. Has trouble with very short pins behind very high pins. Otherwise it's very versatile.
  • Deep Hook: Sometimes called "Steep", "High Reach", "Long Reach". Just a longer Hook, good for maneuvering behind pins, but does have some difficulty getting underneath and past.
  • Offset Hook: Short hooks are maneuverable but weak reach. Deep hooks have reach but lack maneuverability. Offset hooks try to get the best of both worlds while minimizing the negatives. They can come with different tips. I've seen them with half-diamonds, half-balls, and monkeypaw style tips. A "Deforest Diamond" is just an Offset Hook with a Diamond Tip.

Rakes
  • Snake: (Classic Rake, Double Rake, C-Rake) A short, soft curving double rake. It's small profile allows you more angles of attack.
  • Sharp: (Batarang, S-Rake) A double peaked rake with sharp edges. Also used to "Zip" if you feel like putting extra wear and tear on your pick and lock.
  • Bagota: (Bogie, Pagoda, Peak) A style of rake with somewhat pointy peaks. They come in a variety of profiles, number of peaks, etc. The standard is the Triple Peak.
  • Worm: Similar to the bagota, but the peaks are less sharp.
  • City Rake: (Ripple, L-Rake) Can rake but also good at "rocking" motions.
  • W-Rake: Blunt, short, and a little scary looking. I'd be afraid to have this break in a lock.

Others
  • Diamond: No curve with a half diamond shape on the edge. Comes in small and large varieties. Can maneuver under pins more easily but has trouble reaching high.
  • Ball / Snowman: Typically used for the dimple, warded and wafer locks. They also come in "half" varieties.

Proprietary
  • Peterson Gem: Short hook with a pointed tip. Very popular pick. It's has all the benefits of a short hook, and can push into pins to lift them rather than needing to get up underneath. LockNoob's favorite pick is this one in 0.018''.
  • Peterson Reach: Behaves like an Offset Hook. Rounded edge allows it to more easily push under pins and it has a very thin profile. Relatively fragile.
  • Sparrows Monkeypaw: A hook with a little bit of an indent on the tip so you can feel where pins are.
  • Sparrows Medusa: Single pin pick or flip it upside down and it's a double rake. Overall, it's a little big as picks go and will have trouble on smaller entryways. It's utility comes in being able to switch between picking and raking for those interested in "speed" lockpicking. Gimmicky.
  • Sparrows Monstrum Picks: I like the Tron and Attila. BosnianBill uses the Attila. They're minor variations on the standard short hook. I like their slim profiles.

Metal Thickness
Lockpicks will break because you're going to be putting stress on a thin piece of metal. But it can take years even with continuous use if you're not overdoing it. Standard is what you want most of the time, and then move to slimmer picks for locks that you just can't maneuver. Thinner picks can bend more easily if you need them too, at the cost of being more delicate.
  • 0.025'': Standard
  • 0.022'': "Slim" (Southord)
  • 0.020'': "Flexible" (Sparrows)
  • 0.018'': "Narrow" (Peterson)
  • 0.015'': Thin (Sparrows, Peterson)

Tension Wrenches
In general, it's better to have a wider selection of tension wrenches than picks. You can pick most locks with a small selection of picks, but locks can have a variety of keyways that be difficult to hold on to and properly tension unless you have something that fits it comfortably. It's always good to have more options so you can snugly fit a wrench into any lock.

Twisted Tension Wrenches
Bottom of the keyway. Probably the most common type of tension wrench, as they're easy and cheap to make and get included in sets and recommendations.

Bars
Top of the keyway. Thick/rigid. Gives more room to maneuver at the bottom of the keyway.

Ergonomic
Typically a top of the keyway bar with a bend.

Types of Pins
  • Standard: No special features. Smooth cylindrical pins.
  • Spool: Wide, Deep groove around the middle that causes the edges to catch in the core, giving the impression it's set earlier than it really is. If you have ALL spools (or a mix of spools and mushrooms), then the core of the lock becomes very jiggly and obvious about the makeup of pins.
  • Serrated: Multiple thin cut grooves make the pin harder to set and easier to overset.
  • Mushroom: Similar to spool pins, but the slant makes them harder to detect. They need to be installed the right way to work effectively. Mushroom head towards the key pin.
  • Double-Mushroom (Trampoline): Like a spool or mushroom, but it avoids the "All Spools" problem.
  • Barrel: Kind of a reverse spool. Avoids the "All spools" problem. Two chances to unset the pin, two chances to think it's set when it isn't.
  • Gin: A pin with a deep spool on one end. Causes counter-rotation of the core when setting, which can unset already set pins.
  • Tree: Mixes multiple deep cuts with wider sections.
  • T-Pin: Kind of like a deep spool with an end cut off. Designed to foil bump keys, they can also be very difficult to pick. They get jammed up at the shear line in a way that it's hard to tell if something is overset because they don't give the expected feedback.
  • Drunken Spool: Two T-Pins with their thin sides pointed at each other used in place of a driver pin. MUCH harder to pick than a T-pin. If a friend gives you a challenge lock with this type of pinning, they are no friend of yours.
  • Pin-In-Pin: Typically a t-pin paired with some sort of pin with a hole in it. Can jam up a lock in ways that are difficult to recover.

These are the more common pins (though many here are not used commercially), and you can find far more varieties used in challenge locks such as these Christmas themed pins:

Want to see more? :frogc00l:

There are many YouTubers who show off their knowledge and skill with lockpicking.

LockpickingLawyer is arguably the most popular. His videos are more security minded and each adhere to the same structure. They tend to be only minutes long.
LockNoob LockNoob shows off a wide variety of different locks. His videos vary in length from short to longer form.
BosnianBill is now retired from making videos, but he's got a couple thousand available and many hundreds of those are of him picking challenge locks. His videos are less rigid in structure and longer than those of LockpickingLawyer. He's got a lot of great how-to videos as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBQVhgQ_3OQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JidZmCOcrZo

I'd like to get into lockpicking. What equipment should I get? :getin:

Lockpicks
Don't buy sets or kits. You're just going to be getting a lot of junk you'll never use. Most lockpicks are just small variations on the basics and you really don't need all that many to get into it. Start with buying the individual picks you're going to want/need.

I recommend getting standard widths (0.025'') of the following:
-Short Hook
-Long Hook
-Diamond
-Optional: Some sort of rake, for fun. I like the Snake and the Triple peak. I think you'll enjoy single-pin picking more, but it can be amusing to rake open a weak lock.

Maybe get a 0.015'' Short Hook as well for those small keyways. It will need to be treated more delicately than the standards.

Examples:

Sparrows Short Hook
Sparrows High Reach
Sparrows Diamond
Peterson Diamond
Southord Classic Rake (Snake)
Sparrows Triple Peak (without handle)
Peterson Hook 1 (0.015'')

Tension Wrenches
I've said before you shouldn't buy lockpick sets, but you should get tension wrenches in small sets. Bottom of the keyway tensioners are usually pretty cheap. Top of the keyway aren't as cheap, but can also be more comfortable or give you more space to lockpick.

This bottom of the keyway set from Sparrows, or any comparable set, will get you started. Go check out my section on Tension Wrenches if you'd like to expand on this.

Practice Locks (Don't)
You really don't need transparent or other fancy practice locks. If you absolutely must get something, find a cutaway lock that you can gut and repin. All practice locks have the problem that they retain their "personalities" like any other single lock. Even if they're re-pinned, they still have the same pin picking order and you're really not learning all that much. On top of this problem, transparent locks easily deform. Easy-repin locks tend to cost quite a bit as well. You're ultimately paying a lot of money, $20-60, for locks that you're not going to use for very long. It's better to just get a bunch of mortise cylinders that cost like, 7 bucks each. They're cheap, easy to mix up and not remember their personalities, and can be re-pinned into challenge locks and economically mailed out to other members of the community.

Carrying Case
I like the Sparrows Sherman. It can hold many dozens of picks, wrenches, and tools and it's well priced. In my experience, the only thing it has trouble holding are my Ergo Turner Tension Wrenches, which are a bit too curvy to fit anywhere but they very small center pocket.

You might also like the Sparrows Comp Case, which doubles as a small work station. It's a lot easier to put picks away and grab new ones as you go. It does hold less than the Sherman though.

s_k_a_m_ posted:

I really like this case for carrying picks/wrenches: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044YGCA0

Locks
The less you pay for, the better. This is the difficult part of the hobby, because unless you have a stupid amount of money to spend, you'll have to be thrifty. I've heard of people buying boxes of junk locks on ebay or getting locks that apartment property managers replaced and were otherwise going to throw away. You can always trade locks with others lockpickers. A lot of people just have them lying around with missing keys.

If you need something to get you started, you can find a Master Lock 146D for 5-8 bucks. It's very easy to pick but great to start with and test new profiles on. It cannot be re-pinned. Mine is pretty silly as it has a pick order is 1-2-3-4. It can be opened just by pushing a C-rake into it.

If you want something much more challenging, an American 1100 is a strong lock with security pins. If you can pick this, you graduate from a beginner to a capable lockpicker. They run about 20 bucks. This is one of the few locks I recommend buying just to have it around as a milestone lock. They can be gutted and re-pinned.

Typical American 1100 pinning. Note that all driver pins are security pins of some sort, but even the key pins have serrations.

The important thing to remember with locks is that you will learn their individual "personalities" and then you won't be getting much better from picking them, even if you can repin them. You'll just instinctively learn, "Oh this one's pick order. 3-4-2-5-1." However, you can really stretch out the life of a lock if you have a bunch of them that look similar and are easy to mix up. If you have 10 locks that all look the same, it doesn't really matter if you have picked one of them dozens of times before.

This page has some recommendations for locks to get you started, but I don't think it's worth buying every lock.
The Reddit Lockpicking community has put together a list of locks organized into different difficulties.

Stores, Companies
Sparrows: Good product. Reasonably priced.
Southord: Wide variety. Cheap. Great for trying out pick profiles at a low cost. Handles sold separately.
Peterson: High quality product. Pricey. Owner is a bit of a shithead.
Covert Instruments: From the LockpickingLawyer. Pricey. Very little variety in lockpicks, but has a lot of expensive/complex tools for niche uses. He's a bit of a shill, showing off tools made for professionals as if they're something a hobbyist might want, and just happens to sell them on his personal store. I don't recommend this seller for those who are new to the hobby. However, CI does have a couple unique pieces which are pretty good for hobbyists like the Ergo Turner Set (still pricey)

Zesty fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If I had say, $100 and wanted to get into this hobby more than I currently am what would you suggest? I have a basic set of lockpicks I bought and possessed in Nevada. Somewhere. They kind of suck and are hard to hold. The big thing I would like is a beginner lock I can re-pin, and the stuff to do that. (So, tray? picks? a lock? a case?) Is there a smarter budget to get going on than $100 - would $200 get me setup "for life" with some of these things?

Cool informative thread, thanks for making it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I mentioned a couple cases above. I like the Sherman because it has SO much room to grow into.

A tray can be as cheap or fancy as you'd like it to be. Super easy to 3D print if you have access to that kind of thing. You can buy things like the Sparrows Mini Pinning Tray Pair for 8 bucks. You can fit one of those in a pocket in a Sherman even. I use that.

Or you can do something as easy as folding a rigid piece of paper, accordion style. It really doesn't take much.

Some lockpicking-specific tweezers would also be helpful, and those would run you another 8-12 bucks. Lockpicking tweezers have some curved tips which make it easier to grab pins.

I mentioned the American 1100 in the OP which can be repinned. Just keep in mind to re-pin a lock, you have to be able to open the lock. That lock will come with a key, but you'll have to keep the same key pins in the same order to use the key on it. I also mentioned a cutaway lock if you really needed something like that. There are some varieties from sparrows there where you can spend an extra couple bucks to get a different set of pins than standard. Spools, Serrated, or even "Check" pins.

You'll probably want a bunch of different pins to play around with that. Sparrows (again, I know, but they're pretty great as a resource) have something called a reload kit which is going to have a lot of things you would want. It comes with spools, serrated, and mushroom pins, along with some keys you can match up some pinning loadouts to which are good challenges for beginners. It's also going to come with a cheap plug follower that's the right size for the cutaway lock. It also has those Sparrows pinning mats mentioned above and optionally some tweezers. It's all an okay set of things to start with for... what, reload kit + cutaway lock is $24 + $23 + shipping.

Just keep in mind the cutaway lock is going to have the "personality" problem I mentioned in the OP. You'll get used to the picking order on it, even if you're no longer looking at the pins in the little cheat window. That's always going to be a problem with having a single lock to play with.

You'll eventually want to add mortise cylinders to your collection if you enjoy repinning locks. You can buy them for like, 7 bucks each. SC1 and KW1 are different keyway shapes. They're pretty similar but the keys are not interchangable. They do use the same size pins though, which are very standard and exactly the kind you'll get in the reload kit and anything else from Sparrows. You can put this off for a bit if you go with the cutaway and reload kit.

This is pretty advanced, but I have bookmarked a spreadsheet here that organizes pin sizes for different brands. Everything you'd get from Sparrows is going to be 0.115, which is standard size as pins go.

Here's a BosnianBill video about how to put together a lock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5_W1FF0c90&t=8s

and another on the reload kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NpcTyJADqY&t=13s

I do not care for the progressive locks he talks about though. It's a bundle which you'll advance out of.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 26, 2023

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Oh hell yeah, locksport thread! I'm still very much a novice but I have a nice little set of sparrows picks and some practice locks with cutaways and different types of security pins so you can visualize what you're doing, as well as the obligatory bucket of cheap padlocks that comes with doing this for fun.

I definitely want to see where this thread goes.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
heck yeah lockpicking

I got into it when I was a mental health worker and regularly needed to open lockers/filing cabinets/cash boxes/etc that patients or other staff had misplaced the keys for, and later bought a set of picks (can definitely confirm thats not a good way to go) and some padlocks

will probably try and get a few more picks, tension wrenches and cheap padlocks, never was much good with anything other than the cheapest crap but it was always a fun little puzzle to work on

UncleMoeLester
Oct 25, 2016

Midget Fiddler
Lipstick Apathy
Are lishi tools worth the hype? I saw a LPL video on them and they look neat and good for beginners like me but also seem overpriced

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They're lock type specific and cost 70 buck each. You would probably want four to six of them for decent coverage but could get as many as 25+ for most lock types. There's little to no European lock coverage. Then what? Hundreds or thousands of dollars spent just so you can easily decode the key needed for a lock without taking it apart? Slightly easier picking instead of just learning to lockpick? What's the fun in that?

They're for professional locksmiths to save a little time on the job. They're not tools for beginners. They're not going to make you a better lockpicker.

Let's take a step back here. LPL makes videos all the time showing off how good lishis are and just happens to sell all types of lishis on his personal store. You can do the math on that.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 2, 2023

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Lishi's are more for decoding and guaranteed success right? I wouldn't consider them fundamental to hobby at all. Unrelated, they're really expensive.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Decoding, yeah. I don't know about guaranteed success. But definitely a lot easier because you don't need to rely on feel and know-how as much.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zesty posted:

They're for professional locksmiths to save a little time on the job. They're not tools for beginners. They're not going to make you a better lockpicker.

This is an important thing to remember with a lot of the tools you see for sale all over the internet. Professional locksmiths are in it as a business, so they will come at it from the angle of making money as rapidly as possible. Sometimes nondestructive entry is the way to go, but often bypass or destructive entry is their first approach. Picking has its uses in the commercial world and there are some tremendous NDE talents in that sphere but it's a secondary skill for most of them.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Oh man, I picked up lockpicking as a hobby a few years ago when I randomly told my partner I'd want a little set for Christmas. It's always really fun to fiddle with and shockingly easy to do once you get the hang of it.

I think this thread has inspired me to pick up a carrying case for my tools and a few new locks to play with.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Man I need to get back into this. I was able to regularly defeat simple locks without security pins, which (spookily) included the house I rented at the time. For a few months the lock on my shed was one I had lost the key to so I felt like a badass whenever it needed opening.

Thanks for the nostalgia, looking forward to whatever monstrosity this thing becomes!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I read the OP and this seemed like fun so I ordered a few of the picks from Sparrows you recommended and a couple locks. Thanks for the detailed intro.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Man, I should dig out the lockpicks and practice locks that are hiding in my office somewhere—this looks like fun!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Zesty posted:

It is illegal to possess lockpicks in Nevada, Ohio, and Virginia. It is illegal to conceal lockpicks in Mississippi... you know, like in your pocket or bag. Please check your local laws before getting into this hobby.

So how does this work in Mississippi? Is it like you have to open carry them like guns?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I finally braved their very still 2007 website and think I have a decent cart setup to get going:

Monstrum XXL
Progressive Locks
Reload Kit and 99mm Tweezers
$182 with tax and shipping.

I basically have nothing right now as the picks I currently own suck and more importantly I don't have any practice locks. Is there any kind of father's day coupon code they've emailed out?

I know how to pick/gut/pin locks, and have only shot springs all other the room once.

Edit: Guess they don't do them talking to a local friend who has a bunch of sparrows stuff. Pulled the trigger.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 4, 2023

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I found this thread from Pragmatica's monthly "check out these threads you might have otherwise never seen" anouncement post. It's not the first thread I found and enjoyed that way either, so, yeah I like those posts. It seems like an interesting rewarding hobby that once in a blue moon might save you or someone who you know in a pinch. Probably someone you know, because if I had lockpicks and somehow locked myself out of the house, they would probably be locked in the house, lol. Maybe something to keep somewhere else.

Zesty posted:

Lockpicks
Don't buy sets or kits. You're just going to be getting a lot of junk you'll never use. Most lockpicks are just small variations on the basics and you really don't need all that many to get into it. Start with buying the individual picks you're going to want/need.

I recommend getting standard widths (0.025'') of the following:
-Short Hook
-Long Hook
-Diamond
-Optional: Some sort of rake, for fun. I like the Snake and the Triple peak. I think you'll enjoy single-pin picking more, but it can be amusing to rake open a weak lock.

Maybe get a 0.015'' Short Hook as well for those small keyways. It will need to be treated more delicately than the standards.

Tension Wrenches
I've said before you shouldn't buy lockpick sets, but you should get tension wrenches in small sets.

I saw this and other people echoing avoiding getting a "set or kit" but this doesn't look too bad as a small cheap starter bundle that checks off most of the boxes listed above.

https://www.sparrowslockpicks.com/products/kick-start

The (possible?) lack of ergonomic handles might be a negative factor if it's something you did regularly long term, but for dipping your toe in the water would this be something worth considering and perhaps getting better tools later if you found it enjoyable? I was looking at it more as a discount bundle that includes most of the starter stuff that was recommended than an extensive kit, with maybe the addition of a deep hook or long reach and some locks. At $20 it's cheaper than buying all that stuff individually, there doesn't seem to be much excess there as it's mostly all the suggested pieces, and it's from one of the manufacturers that was recommended. Thoughts?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I threw that right out the window for those sweet sweet ergo handles.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

In a general getting-past-the-locks sense, a couple inflation bladders are probably a good investment. I've had to call locksmiths to get into cars and house a handful of times over the years (though only once at own expense!). It wasn't that hard to brute force my way past the 80s construction door but even in my prime, I wouldn't have been able to get past the anti pick locks and cylinders that are more standard now.

For the price of that one child induced after hours lockout I could have bought a half dozen bladders from Amazon. Alas,

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

I don't have much to add, but I really like this case for carrying picks/wrenches: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044YGCA0

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

it really is incredible how easy it is to pick one of those master locks they sell everywhere

i got into lockpicking a few years ago and i sat down ready to spend hours attempting my first pick only for it to open in less than a minute

only thing i'd add is that the absolute best lockpicks are a halligan bar and a sledge

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Guest2553 posted:

I was able to regularly defeat simple locks without security pins, which (spookily) included the house I rented at the time.

House locks typically don't have security pins. The reasoning, I imagine, is that destructive entry is easier, faster, and doesn't have any negatives that lockpicking will fix. It's going to be a B and E charge anyway.

I highly recommend you don't lockpick locks that are "in use" for fun, whether they're yours or not, because you can damage locks in ways that are difficult to recover from.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Nenonen posted:

So how does this work in Mississippi? Is it like you have to open carry them like guns?

Yeah, lockpicks strapped to your back, thighs, or full on bandolier should be acceptable.

Really though, effectively illegal in Mississippi. You're either "concealing" them by keeping them in a case, or cops can see you have lockpicks and will harass you anyway. I live where it's absolutely legal to own lockpicks and I don't bring them out of the house because I just don't want to risk any sort of talk with the cops over them.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

H110Hawk posted:

I finally braved their very still 2007 website and think I have a decent cart setup to get going:

Monstrum XXL
Progressive Locks
Reload Kit and 99mm Tweezers
$182 with tax and shipping.

I basically have nothing right now as the picks I currently own suck and more importantly I don't have any practice locks. Is there any kind of father's day coupon code they've emailed out?

I know how to pick/gut/pin locks, and have only shot springs all other the room once.

Edit: Guess they don't do them talking to a local friend who has a bunch of sparrows stuff. Pulled the trigger.

If I notice coupon codes, I'll let you know. Southord tends to let me know about sales more than any other company.

If you haven't brought all this yet, it is A LOT of items, many of which I don't think you'll get a lot of use out of. But that's okay too if you're cool with that. I collect a lot of picks myself because I enjoy the collection of them. Those images in the OP of the Sherman case is my personal collection.

Monstrum XXL? Had to look it up. Sounds like a condom brand.

First thing I noticed was that it had SIX rakes, which seemed like a lot, and then I noticed there were even more hooks in the top middle there. That's a whole lot of hooks.

I do like the tension tools it comes with though. I feel like it might be doubling up on some sizes you need, but it's always good to have a wide selection of them. If you find you do have duplicate tension wrenches, you can feel comfortable modifying them into comfortable angles.

I'm not a fan of progressive locks, which I explained in the OP (or maybe it was my second post)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Twenty Four posted:

I found this thread from Pragmatica's monthly "check out these threads you might have otherwise never seen" anouncement post. It's not the first thread I found and enjoyed that way either, so, yeah I like those posts. It seems like an interesting rewarding hobby that once in a blue moon might save you or someone who you know in a pinch. Probably someone you know, because if I had lockpicks and somehow locked myself out of the house, they would probably be locked in the house, lol. Maybe something to keep somewhere else.

I saw this and other people echoing avoiding getting a "set or kit" but this doesn't look too bad as a small cheap starter bundle that checks off most of the boxes listed above.

https://www.sparrowslockpicks.com/products/kick-start

The (possible?) lack of ergonomic handles might be a negative factor if it's something you did regularly long term, but for dipping your toe in the water would this be something worth considering and perhaps getting better tools later if you found it enjoyable? I was looking at it more as a discount bundle that includes most of the starter stuff that was recommended than an extensive kit, with maybe the addition of a deep hook or long reach and some locks. At $20 it's cheaper than buying all that stuff individually, there doesn't seem to be much excess there as it's mostly all the suggested pieces, and it's from one of the manufacturers that was recommended. Thoughts?

I really like the way Sparrows does business, for the most part. That kit looks pretty good. Basic pair of hooks, and two different rake methods along with a basic tension set. The bag is kind of small but uhh, it's fine if this is all you're going to have for a bit. I'd imagine it'd be cheaper if you bought it all individually and then got a better case to expand into if that's your plan, but for now it's all about right for the cost.

Actually, my complaint about it would be the picks don't have their typical sparrows-style dipped handles.

Southord Short Hook (0.025'')
Sparrows Short Hook (0.025'')
Peterson Hook 1 (0.015'')

Here's a few different handles for anyone to consider. I left it on high resolution and tried to get the image at an angle so you can get an idea of their girthiness. I don't have many of the options southord offers because I only use their store to buy a bunch of cheap picks.

The Southord one without a handle here is typical for any lockpick from anywhere without a handle. Very small, feels delicate. May be uncomfortable for you.

Sparrows are pretty thick compared to the other two. Rounded. Feels kind of like rubber. You get pretty good feedback on all the little clicks and bumps.

Peterson handles initially feel like cheap garbage plastic. But when you're lockpicking, they give VERY good feedback.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 5, 2023

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm glad people want to get in the hobby, especially if you were inspired by this little write-up. If possible, let me try and save you a little money. I did quite a bit of research before I got into the hobby and I still feel like I made some unnecessary purchases. Happy to offer any advice I know anything about.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

I like DeviantOllam and his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YYvBLAF4T8

He's done a few things with Red Team Tools. Do they have any sort of reputation?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

s_k_a_m_ posted:

I don't have much to add, but I really like this case for carrying picks/wrenches: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044YGCA0

I like those roll-up cases, but I haven't tried any of them. Do tools fit snugly in that?

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

Zesty posted:

I like those roll-up cases, but I haven't tried any of them. Do tools fit snugly in that?

Yeah, it works great. There are little elastic bands above each pocket, and a top flap to hold them in place.

edit: I just remembered something I can add related to this:

Zesty posted:

The Reddit Lockpicking community has put together a list of locks organized into different difficulties.
After I had picked a few cheap locks, I bought one of these sets: https://www.ebay.com/itm/175710439741. It has a nice variety of locks, and I think it ends up being cheaper than buying each of the individual locks.

edit: it looks like this listing sold out. you can check out https://www.ebay.com/usr/locksportsman and the "Box-to-Blue" listings. i think they are all similar.

s_c_a_r_e_ fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 13, 2023

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Zesty posted:

more good stuff

Thanks for the response and feedback, I appreciate it. I'm extremely limited on funds currently and have been for a while, so even that cheap kit from sparrows that checks off most of the basic recommended tools and is cheaper than buying individually might not be in the cards right away if I decide to pull the trigger.

It seems like a good selection of tools at a relatively low entry investment I could replace with slightly better stuff if I got into it, and later throw the first set in the handy little tool kit I keep in my truck or whatever if that happens.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I have some lockpicks that I was playing with pretty regularly for a while, but I haven't picked them up in ages for two reasons:
  1. Didn't have enough locks to practice on or the spare income to justify buying more.
  2. I never really felt like I was doing it right. Like, I could pick probably 75% of locks I tried pretty quickly, and even the trickier ones (of the ones I tried so probably nothing even remotely difficult for someone who's actually good at it) eventually, but I couldn't feel the individual pins or when they were set or anything like that. I think locks are mostly just so easy to pick that you can do it with basically no skill. I can look at the diagrams and see how a lock works conceptually, I can watch someone else pick a lock and explain what they're doing/feeling and it makes sense. But when I do it myself, I'm almost poking around blindly. Still, it's kind of fun to do, and something to keep your hands occupied while you watch TV or whatever. Or to bring along to a party and hand around to give everyone a go.

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

Twenty Four posted:

Thanks for the response and feedback, I appreciate it. I'm extremely limited on funds currently and have been for a while, so even that cheap kit from sparrows that checks off most of the basic recommended tools and is cheaper than buying individually might not be in the cards right away if I decide to pull the trigger.

It seems like a good selection of tools at a relatively low entry investment I could replace with slightly better stuff if I got into it, and later throw the first set in the handy little tool kit I keep in my truck or whatever if that happens.

It looks like a good beginner set, and it does look cheaper than the individual pieces. I might add a half-diamond pick just because I like it, but the rest looks pretty good. I do not use rakes much, but I think it still comes out cheaper even ignoring the rakes.

Also, I don't know if this is a controversial opinion, but even though they are less ergonomic without the custom handles, I think when you are starting out that not having a custom handle might be better for tactile feedback, or at least it was for me personally. I do much prefer the Peterson handles now, but I started out with the bare picks, and I think it helped. One of my first sets was the Tuxedo Set, and I still regularly use the hook picks from this set.

edit: but be careful with the 0.015 picks if you buy one, because I have bent/broken more than one.

s_c_a_r_e_ fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jun 5, 2023

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

Tiggum posted:

I have some lockpicks that I was playing with pretty regularly for a while, but I haven't picked them up in ages for two reasons:
  1. Didn't have enough locks to practice on or the spare income to justify buying more.
  2. I never really felt like I was doing it right. Like, I could pick probably 75% of locks I tried pretty quickly, and even the trickier ones (of the ones I tried so probably nothing even remotely difficult for someone who's actually good at it) eventually, but I couldn't feel the individual pins or when they were set or anything like that. I think locks are mostly just so easy to pick that you can do it with basically no skill. I can look at the diagrams and see how a lock works conceptually, I can watch someone else pick a lock and explain what they're doing/feeling and it makes sense. But when I do it myself, I'm almost poking around blindly. Still, it's kind of fun to do, and something to keep your hands occupied while you watch TV or whatever. Or to bring along to a party and hand around to give everyone a go.

For me, it just took a lot of practice. The more you do it, the more you can tell which pins are binding, and which are set. I think it is easier to do when you are concentrating on it rather than doing it as a passive activity, at first at least.

I do emphasize with your first point though. I bought a lot of cheap locks to start, but they were too easy to pick, and the better locks start getting too expensive. I did get a lot of free padlocks and mortise cylinders from locksmiths by just going in and asking for their scrapped locks. They usually would give them to me for free, or for the scrap metal price because they were getting rid of them anyway. I also had a lot of locksmiths look at me like I was crazy when I asked if they had any, so ymmv.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Shameful lack of Deviant Ollam talks in the OP imo.

Great thread otherwise, lockpicking is a fun and challenging hobby. Also terrifying because once you break a lock of your own you start to realize how much physical security around you is so horrifically vulnerable to amateur attacks.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Zesty posted:

House locks typically don't have security pins. The reasoning, I imagine, is that destructive entry is easier, faster, and doesn't have any negatives that lockpicking will fix. It's going to be a B and E charge anyway.

I highly recommend you don't lockpick locks that are "in use" for fun, whether they're yours or not, because you can damage locks in ways that are difficult to recover from.

Could it be a local area thing? I've since moved to a bougie-rear end suburb and the smith who came out last year opted for a bladder after looking at the cylinder. Said it was an anti-pick lock and that most of the new construction he's seen the past few years went the same way.

I've only had to pick my house lock once fwiw. In the couple other times I've been locked out in the subsequent decade it was easier to go through a window or something because

Kazinsal posted:

once you break a lock of your own you start to realize how much physical security around you is so horrifically vulnerable to amateur attacks.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Wouldn't know more without knowing what it is.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zesty posted:

Monstrum XXL? Had to look it up. Sounds like a condom brand.

I'm not a fan of progressive locks, which I explained in the OP (or maybe it was my second post)

What, you think I read that monster of a post? :v:

Yeah I'm a big fan of one and done purchases. The website looks hacker-edgy from the 90's and frankly Geocities would like their website back. The names... match. Kind of like how baby stuff all has dumb names. I literally was just sorting by most crap with ergo handles and bought it.

For the locks, I mostly wanted something I could repin a bunch while I'm getting back into stuff. I'm not going to even attempt them at 2 and 3 pins, but with 6 pins that should make it fun for me for a while. Until I learn their order which will take longer than you might expect for the same reasons I couldn't make it through your OP. Gives me a consistent way to play with security pins as well.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
My lockpicks came in. One was stabbed through the case which was pretty funny. You're right, it's way too much crap.

Practice locks are drowning in graphite or something, had to wipe them down before I could use them. Very glad I didn't set them on the bed where I was looking at the haul.

Repinning stuff looks good but I didn't look closely. Tweezers juuuust barely fit in the case.

Hit up Facebook and someone offered me a box of unspecified locks, keyed alike, that they just replaced in their house. I don't know if it was theirs or if they're the contractor because the box is huge and the house was like 1250sqft. It was way more than I was expecting and nearly didn't fit in my backpack.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Locking this thread to test y'all's skills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Locking this thread to test y'all's skills

Owned.