Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If I had say, $100 and wanted to get into this hobby more than I currently am what would you suggest? I have a basic set of lockpicks I bought and possessed in Nevada. Somewhere. They kind of suck and are hard to hold. The big thing I would like is a beginner lock I can re-pin, and the stuff to do that. (So, tray? picks? a lock? a case?) Is there a smarter budget to get going on than $100 - would $200 get me setup "for life" with some of these things?

Cool informative thread, thanks for making it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Lishi's are more for decoding and guaranteed success right? I wouldn't consider them fundamental to hobby at all. Unrelated, they're really expensive.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I finally braved their very still 2007 website and think I have a decent cart setup to get going:

Monstrum XXL
Progressive Locks
Reload Kit and 99mm Tweezers
$182 with tax and shipping.

I basically have nothing right now as the picks I currently own suck and more importantly I don't have any practice locks. Is there any kind of father's day coupon code they've emailed out?

I know how to pick/gut/pin locks, and have only shot springs all other the room once.

Edit: Guess they don't do them talking to a local friend who has a bunch of sparrows stuff. Pulled the trigger.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 4, 2023

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I threw that right out the window for those sweet sweet ergo handles.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zesty posted:

Monstrum XXL? Had to look it up. Sounds like a condom brand.

I'm not a fan of progressive locks, which I explained in the OP (or maybe it was my second post)

What, you think I read that monster of a post? :v:

Yeah I'm a big fan of one and done purchases. The website looks hacker-edgy from the 90's and frankly Geocities would like their website back. The names... match. Kind of like how baby stuff all has dumb names. I literally was just sorting by most crap with ergo handles and bought it.

For the locks, I mostly wanted something I could repin a bunch while I'm getting back into stuff. I'm not going to even attempt them at 2 and 3 pins, but with 6 pins that should make it fun for me for a while. Until I learn their order which will take longer than you might expect for the same reasons I couldn't make it through your OP. Gives me a consistent way to play with security pins as well.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
My lockpicks came in. One was stabbed through the case which was pretty funny. You're right, it's way too much crap.

Practice locks are drowning in graphite or something, had to wipe them down before I could use them. Very glad I didn't set them on the bed where I was looking at the haul.

Repinning stuff looks good but I didn't look closely. Tweezers juuuust barely fit in the case.

Hit up Facebook and someone offered me a box of unspecified locks, keyed alike, that they just replaced in their house. I don't know if it was theirs or if they're the contractor because the box is huge and the house was like 1250sqft. It was way more than I was expecting and nearly didn't fit in my backpack.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Locking this thread to test y'all's skills

Owned.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Nice find! Does it work in your door? I see you got it into the deadbolt but you're now saying your whole door is hosed? I'm confused as to the dramatic turn for demolition this post took.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Rapid production tract housing (or condos) at their finest. The carpenters had the deadbolt jig upside down when they drilled it, or the plans showed it backwards. Or they came from the factory pre-drilled wrong. Then much later in the process a bid-by-job locksmith came along and installed the whole complex. Flipping it upside down gets the job done in the same amount of time, and you don't get paid any more (and are definitely never hired again if they even pay you for this job) if you refuse to install them upside down because the doors are drilled wrong. The sole person who could potentially have caused this to be fixed on a unit-by-unit basis were the original condo purchasers and only if they could show on the lock spec sheet it's not installed to spec.

I don't know what you've done to get to $300 but why can't you just install it upside down again? (Except for your own preferences.) Back to fix-it-fast? :v: