Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I found this thread from Pragmatica's monthly "check out these threads you might have otherwise never seen" anouncement post. It's not the first thread I found and enjoyed that way either, so, yeah I like those posts. It seems like an interesting rewarding hobby that once in a blue moon might save you or someone who you know in a pinch. Probably someone you know, because if I had lockpicks and somehow locked myself out of the house, they would probably be locked in the house, lol. Maybe something to keep somewhere else.

Zesty posted:

Lockpicks
Don't buy sets or kits. You're just going to be getting a lot of junk you'll never use. Most lockpicks are just small variations on the basics and you really don't need all that many to get into it. Start with buying the individual picks you're going to want/need.

I recommend getting standard widths (0.025'') of the following:
-Short Hook
-Long Hook
-Diamond
-Optional: Some sort of rake, for fun. I like the Snake and the Triple peak. I think you'll enjoy single-pin picking more, but it can be amusing to rake open a weak lock.

Maybe get a 0.015'' Short Hook as well for those small keyways. It will need to be treated more delicately than the standards.

Tension Wrenches
I've said before you shouldn't buy lockpick sets, but you should get tension wrenches in small sets.

I saw this and other people echoing avoiding getting a "set or kit" but this doesn't look too bad as a small cheap starter bundle that checks off most of the boxes listed above.

https://www.sparrowslockpicks.com/products/kick-start

The (possible?) lack of ergonomic handles might be a negative factor if it's something you did regularly long term, but for dipping your toe in the water would this be something worth considering and perhaps getting better tools later if you found it enjoyable? I was looking at it more as a discount bundle that includes most of the starter stuff that was recommended than an extensive kit, with maybe the addition of a deep hook or long reach and some locks. At $20 it's cheaper than buying all that stuff individually, there doesn't seem to be much excess there as it's mostly all the suggested pieces, and it's from one of the manufacturers that was recommended. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Zesty posted:

more good stuff

Thanks for the response and feedback, I appreciate it. I'm extremely limited on funds currently and have been for a while, so even that cheap kit from sparrows that checks off most of the basic recommended tools and is cheaper than buying individually might not be in the cards right away if I decide to pull the trigger.

It seems like a good selection of tools at a relatively low entry investment I could replace with slightly better stuff if I got into it, and later throw the first set in the handy little tool kit I keep in my truck or whatever if that happens.