Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Man I need to get back into this. I was able to regularly defeat simple locks without security pins, which (spookily) included the house I rented at the time. For a few months the lock on my shed was one I had lost the key to so I felt like a badass whenever it needed opening.

Thanks for the nostalgia, looking forward to whatever monstrosity this thing becomes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

In a general getting-past-the-locks sense, a couple inflation bladders are probably a good investment. I've had to call locksmiths to get into cars and house a handful of times over the years (though only once at own expense!). It wasn't that hard to brute force my way past the 80s construction door but even in my prime, I wouldn't have been able to get past the anti pick locks and cylinders that are more standard now.

For the price of that one child induced after hours lockout I could have bought a half dozen bladders from Amazon. Alas,

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Zesty posted:

House locks typically don't have security pins. The reasoning, I imagine, is that destructive entry is easier, faster, and doesn't have any negatives that lockpicking will fix. It's going to be a B and E charge anyway.

I highly recommend you don't lockpick locks that are "in use" for fun, whether they're yours or not, because you can damage locks in ways that are difficult to recover from.

Could it be a local area thing? I've since moved to a bougie-rear end suburb and the smith who came out last year opted for a bladder after looking at the cylinder. Said it was an anti-pick lock and that most of the new construction he's seen the past few years went the same way.

I've only had to pick my house lock once fwiw. In the couple other times I've been locked out in the subsequent decade it was easier to go through a window or something because

Kazinsal posted:

once you break a lock of your own you start to realize how much physical security around you is so horrifically vulnerable to amateur attacks.