Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003
I don't have much to add, but I really like this case for carrying picks/wrenches: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044YGCA0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

Zesty posted:

I like those roll-up cases, but I haven't tried any of them. Do tools fit snugly in that?

Yeah, it works great. There are little elastic bands above each pocket, and a top flap to hold them in place.

edit: I just remembered something I can add related to this:

Zesty posted:

The Reddit Lockpicking community has put together a list of locks organized into different difficulties.
After I had picked a few cheap locks, I bought one of these sets: https://www.ebay.com/itm/175710439741. It has a nice variety of locks, and I think it ends up being cheaper than buying each of the individual locks.

edit: it looks like this listing sold out. you can check out https://www.ebay.com/usr/locksportsman and the "Box-to-Blue" listings. i think they are all similar.

s_c_a_r_e_ fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 13, 2023

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

Twenty Four posted:

Thanks for the response and feedback, I appreciate it. I'm extremely limited on funds currently and have been for a while, so even that cheap kit from sparrows that checks off most of the basic recommended tools and is cheaper than buying individually might not be in the cards right away if I decide to pull the trigger.

It seems like a good selection of tools at a relatively low entry investment I could replace with slightly better stuff if I got into it, and later throw the first set in the handy little tool kit I keep in my truck or whatever if that happens.

It looks like a good beginner set, and it does look cheaper than the individual pieces. I might add a half-diamond pick just because I like it, but the rest looks pretty good. I do not use rakes much, but I think it still comes out cheaper even ignoring the rakes.

Also, I don't know if this is a controversial opinion, but even though they are less ergonomic without the custom handles, I think when you are starting out that not having a custom handle might be better for tactile feedback, or at least it was for me personally. I do much prefer the Peterson handles now, but I started out with the bare picks, and I think it helped. One of my first sets was the Tuxedo Set, and I still regularly use the hook picks from this set.

edit: but be careful with the 0.015 picks if you buy one, because I have bent/broken more than one.

s_c_a_r_e_ fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jun 5, 2023

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

Tiggum posted:

I have some lockpicks that I was playing with pretty regularly for a while, but I haven't picked them up in ages for two reasons:
  1. Didn't have enough locks to practice on or the spare income to justify buying more.
  2. I never really felt like I was doing it right. Like, I could pick probably 75% of locks I tried pretty quickly, and even the trickier ones (of the ones I tried so probably nothing even remotely difficult for someone who's actually good at it) eventually, but I couldn't feel the individual pins or when they were set or anything like that. I think locks are mostly just so easy to pick that you can do it with basically no skill. I can look at the diagrams and see how a lock works conceptually, I can watch someone else pick a lock and explain what they're doing/feeling and it makes sense. But when I do it myself, I'm almost poking around blindly. Still, it's kind of fun to do, and something to keep your hands occupied while you watch TV or whatever. Or to bring along to a party and hand around to give everyone a go.

For me, it just took a lot of practice. The more you do it, the more you can tell which pins are binding, and which are set. I think it is easier to do when you are concentrating on it rather than doing it as a passive activity, at first at least.

I do emphasize with your first point though. I bought a lot of cheap locks to start, but they were too easy to pick, and the better locks start getting too expensive. I did get a lot of free padlocks and mortise cylinders from locksmiths by just going in and asking for their scrapped locks. They usually would give them to me for free, or for the scrap metal price because they were getting rid of them anyway. I also had a lot of locksmiths look at me like I was crazy when I asked if they had any, so ymmv.

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003
i bought a couple sets from Jimy Longs recently. i have not received them yet, but i will update when i do. they look pretty good.

edit: i found the coupon code LPU4LIFE for it. it looks like it gives 20% off.

s_c_a_r_e_ fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 14, 2023