Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

This is a thread about finite Pokemon fusion generators. No é here. Certainly not a thread about a loving incredible little video game. Let's start with the history.

:psyduck::respek::wooper:
Part 1 - What is a Pokemon Fusion?

Ahh yes this is definitely all I'm talking about.

Alex Onsager is an American expat programmer living in Japan. In 2010 he thought, what if Pokemon A's face and skintones, but on Pokemon B? That exchange could even go two ways. So he programmed it and we got what may be the first fusion generator. This really took off and you may have seen pictures or played with it yourself.

It's still up here and works great on phones.

With the classic generator a lot look like poor Charras here:

Onsager's wasn't the last generator. Other people tried more appendages and generations of Pokemon. Here is yet another fusion generator with more features and ads:

With modern generators you get consistent results, often bland, sometimes surprising, and rarely pure gold:

From another generator:

For most of these you can see a mismatch between the scale or pixel density of the face and body. If someone touched it up or redid it themselves it would be better. But for the most part why bother, you know?

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

:psyberger:
Part 2 - Unfortunately, Twitter and DeviantArt

A lot of these pokemon fusions are dumb or just don't work at all. The mashed-up sprites created by the generators are shoddily put together. Sometimes it kind of works though. In rare cases it really works. All of these inspiring fan artists to draw the generated creations or better versions of them.

Artists have put out so many creative and cool fused pokemon drawings over the years I wouldn't know where to start or end. While the majority of art is probably normal I want to point out two niches that will come back later. First are pixel artists. Generations 3 to 5 had a unified style that are popular to mimic. They try better or different takes on the generated mons, usually consistent with the series overall style. I could post pages of these sprites. But I won't, and you'll see why. Second are furry artists, who want to have sex with Pokemon and are eager to put out new versions of their favorites. DeviantArt is loaded with gorgeous creations, both based and debased. The Pokemon fanbase is giant, passionate, and talented. I don’t want to get too into it though as I don't have much to say.

Thanks Pinterest I have no idea who the artist is.

Content creators love these generators too because they’re literally content generators. Fool around with different combinations and howl for twitch / youtube gold. I don’t have much to say about that.

If you were in certain communities this poo poo was everywhere for a while. It kind of still is. It was just a bunch of people having fun in their own directions though. No focus, guidelines, or anything. Just a ton of nerds putting out their own love letters on a scale that no official Creatures Inc project ever could. That was all it needed to be.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 5, 2023

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

:lron::respek::abrathink:
Part 3 - What if it was a game?

Congrats to the bots and lawyers for getting to the real post. It’s hard to believe this project goes back to 2015 and hasn’t been dashed against the rocks of the internet.

One nerd put together a cute little RPGmaker fan game with one of those generators under the hood. Then they iterated and innovated. The game is nearly "full" with generations 1, 2, and 169 from gens 3+. These 420 pokemon combine for 176820 unique mons.
Anyone can submit a sprite to be used in place of a generated monstrosity including a poster ITT, with the community replacing almost a third of those with custom sprites. Now even the 420 base Pokemon have custom sprites, with originals and more alternatives available from the Pokedex if you prefer. A few more are planned to be added to a future update.
It’s not even all stored locally with the game by default. It pulls it all dynamically, constantly up to date with what is submitted. Or you can grab sprite packs off the Discord for offline use.

Official Pokecommunity thread:
https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=347883

Discord:
https://discord.gg/vY8Y2m2

Wiki:
https://infinitefusion.fandom.com/wiki/FAQ

Follow the links for a download.

Some features:

- DNA splicing, inverting, and unsplicing
- Kanto and Johto with gen 4-5 graphics
- Sidequests
- OK plot
- Postgame?
- 25 Legendaries
- Built-in fast-forward
- Trainers not useless after one battle
- Built-in randomizer
- Gen 7 moves and mechanics
- Wondertrades
- Better Day-Night system
- And more!

It’s such a treat to see the new sprites, in all flavors of generated and hand-crafted. Some pixel artists flex hard making gorgeous new Legendaries and joke with goofier mons. Artists who made sprites earlier can now contribute to something and get credit. Talented furry artists make sure every possible cross with their favorite looks good. I haven’t seen any memes at least. The title screen randomly goes through fusions which is neat.

Anyone can submit sprites and they will be added, but there are guidelines and requirements. The operation runs surprisingly smoothly. It's a dedicated and talented community of its own with many breakout rooms for people who like a particular body or head. For Pride month they're pushing to complete the last Sylveon fusions.

On top of all that, the game isn’t bad! I strongly recommend it for all pokemon fans. It’s a bit rough around the edges but it shines too. I’m a good way into a normal blind playthrough and it continues to impress.

What can I play this on?

Look here for setup guides for all platforms.
:regd11:Pc
The game is PC native. Nowadays you run a .bat script to install or update it.
:steam:Steam Deck or Linux
There's a Linux setup script, or you can set it up on Windows and copy it over. You'll have to add it to Steam and set compatibility to the latest Proton 7 or GE. SA's Eeyo made a nice Deck layout "Eeyo's Pokemon Infinite Fusion".
:smugdroid:Android
You can use something called JoiPlay to run the game, but NOT the version on the play store.
:woz:Mac
You can use something called Wineskin to run the game.
:xbone:other
A Windows XP Virtual Machine can handle the game.

Mods???
Kuray's PIF Revamp is a collection of QoL improvements:

Zyxyz posted:

Also would like to recommend running this mod to add a bunch of nice QoL features, like being able to set custom party icons so the game doesn't lag from making the autogen ones every time you open the menu:

Our Yestermoment edits the files directly to give safari balls a higher catch rate:

Yestermoment posted:

As a preface: Always backup your stuff before screwing around under the hood!

Open up the game's install folder data>scripts>011_Battle and you should find a .rb file named "005_BallHandlers_PokeBallEffects". Open that sucker up in Notepad and search for Safari Ball (or whatever balls strike your fancy). Change the multiplier and save any changes. Just make sure it saves as an rb file and not as .txt

https://imgur.com/a/tBIBtCC

You can rig a lot of things, although I personally haven't figured out anything related to pokemon themselves. So, you're still stuck running around waiting for that jerk Tauros to show up. *4 makes most safari catches a sure thing and legendary catches a breeze as long as they're low on health and have status. Although you could always pump it up to *8 and that would probably be more than enough.

For this Games thread, idk just post.

I should also post some screenshots. Seeing the game and discovering fusions for yourself really is fun imo. These are all from the early game of my "classic" playthrough:

Mankey+Ratata

Hoothoot+Hoothoot vs Zubat+Koffing

?????????????

!!!!!!!????????

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 1, 2023

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

:jeb::respek::palmon:
Goon Hall of Fame

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 8, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What are these hashes and how do I turn them into the ability to play the game?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Also, love the thread

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

What are these hashes and how do I turn them into the ability to play the game?

You put it into your base 64 decoder of choice to get a link. Like you just paste it into a website that turns it into a link.

It's obtuse but it's to protect against DMCA bots, link collectors etc.

E: You know what? Normal links.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 14, 2023

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
This game is infinitely more replayable than anything official GameFreak's put out. I'm on my 3rd back to back playthrough. Fun fact: "new game +" lets you start a new game with all your old game's existing pokemon remaining in your box but reset to lv5. I didn't realize that or even want it, but it's neat and means you can use basically any pokemon you want as your starter when you replay. They're counted as trades though since they won't have your new OT#, which means you can't unfuse them! I played my first two games on classic mode and now I'm doing modern mode, which opens up the wild pokemon options a ton. Got a Beldum/Bagon in the Diglett tunnel that'll probably carry my team once it actually evolves all the way.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It's a very, very fun game. I am also enjoying quite a few other Pokemon RPG Maker games!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, the game is really fun though the 'hard' difficulty can skew the levels of the boss encounters too high imo. Especially since they're usually rocking really good Pokemon/moves already and EVs/IVs are exponentially more difficult to control for your own mons than they are in the official games.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
This game is fantastic. The concept solves a lot of issues from playing the Pokemon formula for so long. Seeing the same few Pokemon at the start of the game? Just means there is plenty of fuel for fusion experiments. The huge potential pool makes it hard to always know what you are up against typing-wise so its no always clear what the proper move to use is, adding some novel challenge. Tons of fun ways to break them game or make gimmick teams so by the end your team feels really personal and unique. I have seen a lot of Hall of Fame end game posts on the Reddit board for this game and I think I have seen a maximum of two of the same Pokemon between any two people's team.

Also I recommend you check the sprites in the pokedex entry of any new fusion. Many fusions have multiple custom sprites and there are a lot of easter eggs hidden behind them.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm looking at the Discord and you can vote for which version is the main. Intense.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Personally, I think the base64 obsfucation is a bit much. SA's kind of a dead forum, if Nintendo's going to learn about this, they're going to learn about it from either pokecommunity or youtube. I also don't think hiding the fusions in the OP is a good idea since it feels like not showing off one of the strengths of this game.

I've finished two runs now, one on classic and one on modern. And yeah, this game is really easy to replay, especially because there's so many Pokemon and there's never enough to use them all. I was actually planning on going back for another classic run but I'm in the middle of a randomised run and well, I've caught a Giratina and Deoxys before Koga now.

check out my weird pokemon though

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Hi! Thank you for the thread and nice OPs! You convinced me to get this thing set up on my Steam Deck.

First question off the top: My catch date is 1 January, 2000. How do I fix that? I dont mind restarting.

My Charmander is named Brundlemander :)

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Two things I've learned:

- In order to play in Modern mode where you see more Pokemon, you need to save in a slot and then start a new game
- The modern EXP Share function where your whole team gets EXP is this game's Easy Mode (it would be nice if this was a separate toggle instead of a difficulty mode)

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

I am in love with this game. What the hell.

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Two things I've learned:

- In order to play in Modern mode where you see more Pokemon, you need to save in a slot and then start a new game
- The modern EXP Share function where your whole team gets EXP is this game's Easy Mode (it would be nice if this was a separate toggle instead of a difficulty mode)

How did you get the modern EXP Share? I know you can get the EXP All in Fuschia but you can turn that off whenever you want.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

If you set the difficulty to easy it shares the exp like that.

I have a tiny tip! If you play up to the first town but instead of going on to beat Brock, take the road to the League and fight your rival, you can then backtrack to the route before and access a little side area with rare pokemon and pricey items. It's a good way to get a cash boost at the start of the game, selling off hyper potions. If you beat Brock before you beat your rival, you can't get in there. I'm sorry to be so vague I can't remember route names today lol.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Yeah, the Secret Garden in Route 1. Easy money early on and a way to get Eevee and Ditto at the start.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Man this looks great, has pretty much invaded my Youtube feed. If only I wasn't overly paranoid lately regarding downloads, specially since this seems to need a launcher for easier sprite downloading and faster loading :(

I wonder if they'll ever make custom sprites for every fusion combination, given they're 1/4-1/3 of the way there. I guess some preevo and forgotten mon fusions will be last in that case.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Man this looks great, has pretty much invaded my Youtube feed. If only I wasn't overly paranoid lately regarding downloads, specially since this seems to need a launcher for easier sprite downloading and faster loading :(

I wonder if they'll ever make custom sprites for every fusion combination, given they're 1/4-1/3 of the way there. I guess some preevo and forgotten mon fusions will be last in that case.

It's safe. I've had it on two PCs now. You can download a complete version if you don't want it accessing the internet while it's running.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Mysticblade posted:

Personally, I think the base64 obsfucation is a bit much. SA's kind of a dead forum, if Nintendo's going to learn about this, they're going to learn about it from either pokecommunity or youtube. I also don't think hiding the fusions in the OP is a good idea since it feels like not showing off one of the strengths of this game.

Thanks for the feedback. Those are some nice teams!

I agree that there's no use in spoiler tagging fusions. That's kind of the point.

I'm keeping the thing with the links for now. You don't just post a link to a site where you can download a Mario 64 ROM or this fangame. If a mod thinks it's dumb or still not ok I'll get rid of them.

Edit: I changed my mind. Now agreeing with Mysticblade

wizard2 posted:

Hi! Thank you for the thread and nice OPs! You convinced me to get this thing set up on my Steam Deck.

First question off the top: My catch date is 1 January, 2000. How do I fix that? I dont mind restarting.
Steam Deck showing that as the first day but time passes normally. Maybe it's a proton thing? Everything seems to work so far.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 14, 2023

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

HopperUK posted:

It's safe. I've had it on two PCs now. You can download a complete version if you don't want it accessing the internet while it's running.

Is the complete version particularly worth grabbing over the dynamic one if you don't care about the game being slower?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Since all the Sprites are community submitted do some Fusions have multiple sprites attributed to them? If so, do you get to choose which one it uses when you do it or is that like a setting you have to select

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Is the complete version particularly worth grabbing over the dynamic one if you don't care about the game being slower?

I've tried both and haven't noticed a huge difference. I would just get the dynamic one; I think it's slightly more up to date in terms of spritepacks because it can just pull down new ones at the time.

MotU - yes, you can go into the Pokedex and select which sprite to use if there's more than one available.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

HopperUK posted:

I've tried both and haven't noticed a huge difference. I would just get the dynamic one; I think it's slightly more up to date in terms of spritepacks because it can just pull down new ones at the time.

MotU - yes, you can go into the Pokedex and select which sprite to use if there's more than one available.

Nice, I grabbed that one first ages ago and got distracted; and thanks to this thread learned of the new update so I'll grab that one to finally play! I look forward to making abominations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

MotU posted:

Since all the Sprites are community submitted do some Fusions have multiple sprites attributed to them? If so, do you get to choose which one it uses when you do it or is that like a setting you have to select

They have a default one and the alternates in a sprite folder. If you want to change which one is used in-game you need to change the name of the sprite you want to remove any extraneous letters after the numbers.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Zore posted:

They have a default one and the alternates in a sprite folder. If you want to change which one is used in-game you need to change the name of the sprite you want to remove any extraneous letters after the numbers.

Do they come already there in Dynamic? Or do they auto download when you fuse them and you gotta fish out the alternate?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

As Vise the Stompy pointed out, you can just go into the Pokedex to change the default sprite to any of its alternatives. Works fine in dynamic.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Oh I missed that, thank you!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I've noticed that a weird amount of effort has gone into some of the sprites for fusing a pokemon with its self in some cases, some of them even getting silly little referential sprites while a lot of them look like their mega evolutions or dynamax forms; is there any mechanical benefit to this or is it just a cool thing to do if you're a cool person?

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

There's a few rare cases where double fusions get different typings (Venusaur/Venusaur is a pure grass type, Gyarados/Gyarados is a Water/Dark) but for the most, you only get boosted XP out of it.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

HopperUK posted:

Yeah, sorry, didn't want to imply anything, I'm just real bad on that the last few years. And it's dumb! I used to hack GBA roms! And now I wanted to try the Pokemon Inclement Emerald and shied away because it needed an external patch program despite having used those in the past.

And the complete version can't dynamically get new sprites which are the coolest part, and sprite pack links that I saw are on Discord which gently caress you, I'm not joining random servers.

...really sorry for that. I guess I should just man up so I can enjoy fusing my boys Golurk and Galvantula into even better forms.

Is there a list of Gen 4+ mons included? Wanted to check which faves are available, Armaldo is Gen 3 thankfully.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah, sorry, didn't want to imply anything, I'm just real bad on that the last few years. And it's dumb! I used to hack GBA roms! And now I wanted to try the Pokemon Inclement Emerald and shied away because it needed an external patch program despite having used those in the past.

And the complete version can't dynamically get new sprites which are the coolest part, and sprite pack links that I saw are on Discord which gently caress you, I'm not joining random servers.

...really sorry for that. I guess I should just man up so I can enjoy fusing my boys Golurk and Galvantula into even better forms.

Is there a list of Gen 4+ mons included? Wanted to check which faves are available, Armaldo is Gen 3 thankfully.

Here's a link to the Pokedex

https://infinitefusion.fandom.com/wiki/Pok%C3%A9dex

Remember only Gen 1 and 2 are completely in and you mostly get a smattering up to Gen VII. And even then Gen VI is only Sylveon, Aegislash, Kelfki and Talonflame and Gen VII is Mimikyu and Puyukumuyu

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 28, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
are they going to add more pokemon down the road, or just leave it as is at least until they finish all the possible fusions that can exist?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

are they going to add more pokemon down the road, or just leave it as is at least until they finish all the possible fusions that can exist?

They've said this is about the limit before things start exploding so there aren't any current plans.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Zore posted:

Here's a link to the Pokedex

https://infinitefusion.fandom.com/wiki/Pok%C3%A9dex

Remember only Gen 1 and 2 are completely in and you mostly get a smattering up to Gen VII. And even then Gen VI is only Sylveon, Aegislash, Kelfki and Talonflame and Gen VII is Mimikyu and Puyukumuyu

Thanks. Well, Armaldo and Aggron are in so I'm already liking the dev's taste :v:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Zore posted:

They've said this is about the limit before things start exploding so there aren't any current plans.

Probably because every single possible fusion's data is stored in a single text file, and everything has a pokedex spot by default. Rather than just actually calculating it on the fly as you actually meet/fuse them.

Adding mediocre newer pokemon just means more unfinished sprite work (and maybe code work if their abilities aren't in the library they're using by default). Adding the missing pokemon would mean almost 6x as many fusions, many of which nobody gives a poo poo about and make the game take a gig of ram more at minimum.

If it's still being worked on, I'd rather see effort spent on alternate modes like a Gen2 start or a more procedural thing like DWM for the gameboy did their dungeons. I'm sick of Kanto.

Deki fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 28, 2023

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Thanks. Well, Armaldo and Aggron are in so I'm already liking the dev's taste :v:

Yeah there are a few legendaries it'd be cool to see tossed in, but they got all the coolest ones at least; I'm a big fan of the regi trio but at least they went with regigigas

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

This is really cool and unexpected, the sprites are a lot of fun. One thing I don't love is that outside of really targeted fusions the result tends to have more average stats than normal Pokémon - you'll (almost?) never end up with a more unbalanced one than you started with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

distortion park posted:

This is really cool and unexpected, the sprites are a lot of fun. One thing I don't love is that outside of really targeted fusions the result tends to have more average stats than normal Pokémon - you'll (almost?) never end up with a more unbalanced one than you started with.

Raw stats have never really been the main game with pokemon outside of absurd hyper focused stuff or weird outliers with just obscene stat totals or something, though. Much like in the main games, if you purely want to fuse for mechanical malarkey; the ability to effectively curate your move sets or typings is insane. Ever since learning that nincada is in this I've been trying to figure out what the most bullshit thing I can fuse with Shedinja is.