Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Nuebot posted:

Raw stats have never really been the main game with pokemon outside of absurd hyper focused stuff or weird outliers with just obscene stat totals or something, though. Much like in the main games, if you purely want to fuse for mechanical malarkey; the ability to effectively curate your move sets or typings is insane. Ever since learning that nincada is in this I've been trying to figure out what the most bullshit thing I can fuse with Shedinja is.

Steel types for that poison weather immunity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

HootTheOwl posted:

Steel types for that poison weather immunity

Oh that is a good one, I was thinking on going with either a normal or dark type to maximize immunities and take advantage of wonder guard.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Nuebot posted:

Oh that is a good one, I was thinking on going with either a normal or dark type to maximize immunities and take advantage of wonder guard.

This came up in the mega thread: bug steel has one weakness and and a lot of immunities to the ways around wonderguard

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I fused bisharp with shedinja in one game and that was completely broken and awesome.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

HootTheOwl posted:

This came up in the mega thread: bug steel has one weakness and and a lot of immunities to the ways around wonderguard

As a bonus, Shedinja fusions look amazing from what I saw so there's 0 issue finding a cool Bug/Steel type fusion.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Picked this up again today and the current MVP is Slugma/Chansey. She has Yawn and hits softly for capturing and she looks awesome.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I fused Rampardos with Azumarill to get the former's Attack with Huge Power and steamroll everything.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nuebot posted:

Raw stats have never really been the main game with pokemon outside of absurd hyper focused stuff or weird outliers with just obscene stat totals or something, though. Much like in the main games, if you purely want to fuse for mechanical malarkey; the ability to effectively curate your move sets or typings is insane. Ever since learning that nincada is in this I've been trying to figure out what the most bullshit thing I can fuse with Shedinja is.
there is an encounter you literally have to cheat the game to beat, but doing so gets you the Infinite Splicer, and doing the followup gets you the Infinite Splitter.

I forget the specific fusion you have to fight, but I think it's something like level 100 blissey/muk fusion, with healing moves and DOT moves, so it just sticks you with a DOT and then sits there healing while you toxic to death

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I forget how I did that fight. I beat it on my 2nd try. Thinking it was Earthquake spamming with Klinklang/Golurk.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

there is an encounter you literally have to cheat the game to beat, but doing so gets you the Infinite Splicer, and doing the followup gets you the Infinite Splitter.

I forget the specific fusion you have to fight, but I think it's something like level 100 blissey/muk fusion, with healing moves and DOT moves, so it just sticks you with a DOT and then sits there healing while you toxic to death

I can't wait to throw my stupid team of clowns at it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, I am not going to dive into Reddit or the Discord, so I'm just going to ask it here.

Is the game Windows only? Can I load it on a Linux system (specifically a Debian-based RasPi) and run the executable?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

So, I am not going to dive into Reddit or the Discord, so I'm just going to ask it here.

Is the game Windows only? Can I load it on a Linux system (specifically a Debian-based RasPi) and run the executable?

It's an RPG Maker game if that helps at all. I know it will run on the Deck.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

HopperUK posted:

It's an RPG Maker game if that helps at all. I know it will run on the Deck.

So, after testing it myself and some more look ups, the answer seems to be:

Kinda. It will not natively run on Linux, but you can probably use Windows emulators like WINE/Winery or something like JoiPlay. It happens to work on the Deck because its designed to run RPG Maker games.

Kind of disappointing.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

E: i forgot, Raspberry Pi is ARM.

Maybe not going to happen.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 30, 2023

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The game appears to run at 40fps (?). With the steam deck it ran more smoothly for me after I set the refresh rate to 40fps and set a 40fps cap. Otherwise it was a bit weird.

Also the controls are wacky as gently caress. Here's the controls from the wiki fwiw:

quote:

The letters in the config menu (accessed by pressing f1) do not represent controller buttons. C is confirm, B is both cancel and menu. A lets you move backpack items [and sprint]. Z brings up the quick menu for registered backpack items. L activates turbo. X and Y bring you to the top and bottom of menus respectively.

I'm uhh not sure what R does. And the binding is just very confusing, the "button" letters are mapped to keyboard letters, but they switch up in very confusing ways. The only button that's bound to itself on the keyboard is C; some of the button letters are bound to a key that is also a different button letter. Just what.

For deck. I'd suggest binding Enter and Escape for C/B respectively, if you bind it to the assigned letters then you'll have trouble navigating text prompts.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Eeyo posted:

The game appears to run at 40fps (?). With the steam deck it ran more smoothly for me after I set the refresh rate to 40fps and set a 40fps cap. Otherwise it was a bit weird.

Also the controls are wacky as gently caress. Here's the controls from the wiki fwiw:

I'm uhh not sure what R does. And the binding is just very confusing, the "button" letters are mapped to keyboard letters, but they switch up in very confusing ways. The only button that's bound to itself on the keyboard is C; some of the button letters are bound to a key that is also a different button letter. Just what.

For deck. I'd suggest binding Enter and Escape for C/B respectively, if you bind it to the assigned letters then you'll have trouble navigating text prompts.

Good advice. Game is really light on power usage. I generally have TDP set to 8 or 9 W, and it'll last a day on a full charge.

If you have a controller layout you're happy with, please upload it to the community layouts. Not crazy about the ones I tried.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

Good advice. Game is really light on power usage. I generally have TDP set to 8 or 9 W, and it'll last a day on a full charge.

If you have a controller layout you're happy with, please upload it to the community layouts. Not crazy about the ones I tried.

Ok I think I added it to the community layouts as "Eeyo's Pokemon Infinite Fusion". A is confirm, B is cancel/menu, X is run/move pokemon/item, Y is quick items, L1 and R1 is top/bottom of menu, R2 is turbo. There's also some mouse controls and F1 bound but you won't need them for playing the game, that's just so the controls menu opens up.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I absolutely adore this game. It might be my favorite pokemon game. Not pokemon fangame. Pokemon game. Period.
Here is a screenshot of my first HoF a few updates and many sprites ago.

And my second, which was a 'modern' run. Modern being a version that switches up Pokemon locations (allowing for newer pokemon to be found sooner and in greater volumes) and tweaks the difficultly curve upward. Not Kaizo difficult but...you see a lot of Shedinja fusions let's put it that way.

Draga posted:

I fused Rampardos with Azumarill to get the former's Attack with Huge Power and steamroll everything.

Really? Every time I have fused an Azumarill with anything it defaulted to Azumarill's attack stat rather than the average of the two (It's a balance thing with Huge Power. Just like how any pokemon fused with wonder guard has 1HP) .Was this a really early version? A really recent one?

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 12, 2023

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

ChrisBTY posted:

Really? Every time I have fused an Azumarill with anything it defaulted to Azumarill's attack stat rather than the average of the two (It's a balance thing with Huge Power. Just like how any pokemon fused with wonder guard has 1HP) .Was this a really early version? A really recent one?

You sure? I'm running an Azumaswine right now and it hits like a loving truck

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Yeah I have an Azumarill-Luxray fusion that is just a wrecking ball with ears

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

they switched Huge Power to be marill's first ability instead of its second, which means you have to use Marill as the body in order to have access to Huge Power; Marill being the body means the physical stats (atk/def/spd) are averaged between your two fusions, but weighted towards Marill's (bad) ones

so it's still getting a boost from the stats being averaged + huge power, but you can't make too disgusting of a monstrosity that way

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

someone awful. posted:

they switched Huge Power to be marill's first ability instead of its second, which means you have to use Marill as the body in order to have access to Huge Power; Marill being the body means the physical stats (atk/def/spd) are averaged between your two fusions, but weighted towards Marill's (bad) ones

so it's still getting a boost from the stats being averaged + huge power, but you can't make too disgusting of a monstrosity that way

Yeah, it gets 2/3rds its attack from Azumarill for being the body and 1/3rd from whatever you use as the head if you want Huge Power.

So Rampardos/Azumarill is 88 base Attack which is still absolutely bonkers and with a positive nature and decent IVs can get you over 600 attack unbuffed.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Oh. Wow. Now maybe my Azumarill/Slaking will work properly.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I think I used an Ability Switching Thing on mine, maybe? Regardless, looking it up, of the two Azumarill/Mamoswine combinations, I have the one with the better stats and also Huge Power. So, whether I had to use an ability switcher or not (can't remember), it's possible.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Last I checked, there was a bug where using the fusion inverter would allow you keep the ability of the other fusion when switching. So it might've been that.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
That would have been it. I used the inverter to get the Rampardos body whilst keeping Huge Power

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I forgot to post my HoF:

This game has a weirdly extensive post-game that, imo, is better than basically any actual pokemon game's post-game but also I feel like I'd rather start a fresh game than go out of my way to do any of it because I think the most fun part of the game is working up to doing the elite 4 with whatever chucklefucks you wind up with.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Possibly obvious question, but I want to make sure- If I'm going on a trip soon and won't have internet, the dynamic version won't really work? Would I be missing out on much by getting the complete version?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The dialogue in this while still being mostly filler is somehow way more interesting than in the real ones

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I kept seeing this game floating around and drat does it itch an itch I've been having for a long time! I love my dumb looking charmander/bellsprout named Krunk.

edit: Mime Jr. + Lickitung? Very Cool! Mr. Mime + Lickitung? nude pedophile.

Yestermoment fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 13, 2023

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Eiba posted:

Possibly obvious question, but I want to make sure- If I'm going on a trip soon and won't have internet, the dynamic version won't really work? Would I be missing out on much by getting the complete version?

I think they're the same game version nowadays. You can go to the downloads channel on their discord and get the sprite pack. It says where to extract it.

You would be missing out on the online features probably. The art museum and wondertrades I assume.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
trying this out now but it taking 10+ seconds to load every single screen transition gets old pretty fast, is there a way to fix it besides "get a better computer"? The alternate exe that the wiki faq recommends doesn't seem to exist for the dynamic version, and reducing the screen size (its other suggestion) didn't help either

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Zyxyz posted:

trying this out now but it taking 10+ seconds to load every single screen transition gets old pretty fast, is there a way to fix it besides "get a better computer"? The alternate exe that the wiki faq recommends doesn't seem to exist for the dynamic version, and reducing the screen size (its other suggestion) didn't help either

Are you playing with it sped up (defaulted as Q key i think)? I've found the game gets haywire when I do that and those sputters are def something I've had happen.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Zyxyz posted:

Oh, I thought this might just be me since my laptop is a tremendous piece of poo poo. I find the in-battle menu doesn't highlight your selection strong enough, and more than a few times I've yelled "gently caress" when it's still on "pokemon" and I hit A instead of moving it to "attack" first, and I lose another 20 seconds of my life waiting to be able to hit the B button to get back to the battle menu.
edit: in the options I changed from showing the split top/bottom thumbnail sprites for fused pokemon to just having the dna helix icon and it makes transitions into/out of the relevant screens faster. Doesn't help the loading times for moving between areas of course, but it makes switching pokemon and doing maintenance poo poo like healing and adding/moving items move way the gently caress faster. Downside is when you're looking for a specific pokemon in your box it takes a bit longer, of course.

Also I just finished what I consider the end of the main game, beating Gold, in Modern mode and immediately started a new game on Randomize mode. There's Lv 2-5 Beedrill/Entei in the secret garden but they're rare and I keep using all my pokeballs trying and failing to catch one so gently caress it, moving on, I'll come back when I get better Pokeballs and False Swipe!

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 16, 2023

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Umbreon+Shedinja feels so dirty to use. It makes it even worse that it looks so cool.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
Reviving this thread to add to the Goon HoF! :toot: (ignore that it says randomized, it's Classic but I talked to the guy that enables rando once to see what he did and that's apparently enough to set the flag for it)

Also would like to recommend running this mod to add a bunch of nice QoL features, like being able to set custom party icons so the game doesn't lag from making the autogen ones every time you open the menu:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

New game version! Bolding mine.

quote:

**Changelog**

**New features and changes**

- Updated most base pokemon sprites for custom-made sprites
- Added Pokemon Box Link item to access PC from anywhere (with some restrictions)
- Pokémon are no longer healed from the PC
- Added Pokémon Fusion quiz minigame in Goldenrod Radio Tower
- Added option to sort bag items
- Capture rate of fused Pokemon now uses the lowest instead of averaging the values
- Removed mega typings for double fusions
- Spriters can now be challenged to a fight in Art Gallery
- Base stat mode levels are now based on the number of gym badges

**Game progression changes: **
- Small changes to Cinnabar story cutscene
- Moved Jasmine Gym Leader Fight to Kin Island
- Chrono Island section is now completely optional

**Bugfixes**
- Fixed issue causing the game to get stuck in Ecruteak Tower
- Fixed possible crash when reviving fossils in Pewter City
- Fixed fusion icons bug when multiple Pokemon of the same species are displayed at once
- Fixed issue with Static and Magnet Pull abilities
- Fixed issue preventing the game to start when a savefile is corrupt
- Fixed issue preventing to download base Pokémon alt sprites
- Various overworld map fixes

There are also some bugs though. As of writing the current version is
[5.3.0.5] which fixes missing sounds and TMs crashing the game.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 9, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The new custom sprites for base Pokemon are *adorable*.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

They're really hit-or-miss for me, but the great thing is you can just go summary > Pokedex and change the sprite. So many choices now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

They're really hit-or-miss for me, but the great thing is you can just go summary > Pokedex and change the sprite. So many choices now!

Yeah I love that they've made it all optional. User-friendly! I do like the look of that mod mentioned before, too, if only because I'd like to be able to preview fusions properly so I know I'm not about to create an abomination. Had to reverse my Luxray/Azumarill fusion.