Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

That sucks Ariong. Always backup my whole user folder when reimaging in case some weird thing is missing.

Zore posted:

Yeah its dumped in a hidden appdata file for some inexplicable reason?

The install does include a shortcut to where the saves are in the base folder now at least.

A lot of apps save things in AppData/Roaming these days. It's where Microsoft wants you too. Dolphin and Yuzu saves are there.

If you have a program save in like, Documents/Something, and Windows has a Microsoft account signed in, and OneDrive isnt specifically configured, it will lock files when needed randomly. This crashes programs and corrupts saves.

A more detailed and interesting explanation is in this Dolphin developer blog.

https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2023/02/12/dolphin-progress-report-december-2022-january-2023/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Hey so I've been having some issues; what's the best way to get this thing running on Steam Deck these days if you are an idiot?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Hey so I've been having some issues; what's the best way to get this thing running on Steam Deck these days if you are an idiot?

It might be easiest to set it up on Windows and copy it over. Set compatibility to Proton 7 or GE, and set refresh rate to 40hz.

There is a now-outdated Linux setup script and a guide here. Written and worked before 6.0 and I hear that the same setup scripts still work. I'll actually try it this weekend and update the doc if the other supporters don't beat me to it.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Heran Bago posted:

That sucks Ariong. Always backup my whole user folder when reimaging in case some weird thing is missing.

A lot of apps save things in AppData/Roaming these days. It's where Microsoft wants you too. Dolphin and Yuzu saves are there.

If you have a program save in like, Documents/Something, and Windows has a Microsoft account signed in, and OneDrive isnt specifically configured, it will lock files when needed randomly. This crashes programs and corrupts saves.

A more detailed and interesting explanation is in this Dolphin developer blog.

https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2023/02/12/dolphin-progress-report-december-2022-january-2023/

Oh, that explains why, when I "deleted" the game a while ago and did a clean install of this new version, my old save popped up like I'd never deleted the game.
Started a new game with this update, and since it gives you the option to do whatever you want for a starter, I was like gently caress it... ... Trubbish.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I haven't messed around with the script, but here's the method I used yesterday to get it working:

• Go to desktop mode on your deck
  • Go to https://github.com/infinitefusion/infinitefusion-e18/tree/releases
  • Click on the green code button and select "Download zip". It's about 550 MB.

• Open the file manager (Dolphin):
  • Create a folder somewhere where you want the game to live (I just make a folder in the home folder)
  • Move the zip file to the folder and unzip it (right click->extract->extract archive here)
  • Open steam in desktop mode and add infinitefusion-e18-releases/Game.exe as a non-steam game.
  • You can follow Heran Bago's guide starting at the section after "Close the Konsole window and, still in Desktop mode, open Steam" for detailed steps on this.

Ok so some boring tech poo poo if you care:

The script pulls the releases branch from the infinite fusion github using git on the command line. I'm just downloading that branch straight from the github site so you don't have to use the script to download it.

It looks like they changed Data/species.zip to being calculated dynamically (I think that's in the changelog) so you no longer have to unzip it.

Ok now some caveats: It looks like the files you get from using the script and downloading from the web are the same, except some file names have different capitalization and encoding of é in one method vs the other (I have no idea how that is). I don't know if this affects the game or not and have no way of testing it atm. In principle the case shouldn't matter because windows is case-insensitive but I'd have to figure out where those assets are loaded and get there to test and :effort:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Diet Poison posted:

Oh, that explains why, when I "deleted" the game a while ago and did a clean install of this new version, my old save popped up like I'd never deleted the game.
Started a new game with this update, and since it gives you the option to do whatever you want for a starter, I was like gently caress it... ... Trubbish.

Hell yeah trubbish is the best pokemon. I need to get back into making the sprites and do some trubbish fusion since it's my favorite pokemon.

I started a randomizer run with the new version. I got lucky and had seel as a starter, I already did some fusions with Seel and fletchling. Unfortunately they changed the types so it's no longer Ice though.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Eeyo posted:

Hell yeah trubbish is the best pokemon. I need to get back into making the sprites and do some trubbish fusion since it's my favorite pokemon.

I started a randomizer run with the new version. I got lucky and had seel as a starter, I already did some fusions with Seel and fletchling. Unfortunately they changed the types so it's no longer Ice though.

Yeah but, and here's a hint for people just (re-)starting: Bad pick for a starter. You can get Trubbish from random encounters investigating garbage cans! (At least in modern mode. Dunno about classic.) So now I wish I'd picked one of the new ones that's harder to get. It looks like the majority of them are egg encounters instead of being added to the normal wild encounters. I'm trying to focus on the new mons but they're almost all one-off or rare encounters; I'm at Saffron (going through the Silph building for like the 6th time, ugh) and I still don't have a full team of new guys.
Currently using: Garbodor/Mimikyu, Gardevoir/Oricorio-Ghost, Rampardos/Scolipede, Trevenant/Dusclops, Pupitar/Noivern, and I have a Lycanroc-Night but there's basically no custom sprites for it yet, looks like, and I'm not wandering around with a janky autogen guy. Also made a Azumarill/Marowak with Huge Power + Thick Club just because I'd never done that before, but he's not a regular part of my team because he's basically a win button.
e: Oh, thought I'd add that I got the base form of Trevenant/Dusclops through a wonder trade ticket, so they've been added to that system. Or else I would have fused it with something more interesting than another ghost.

Also: I don't know how this game works, but the autogen pokemon make it run like poo poo for me. I doubt this is a phenomenon unique to me but who knows. I switched the box display from split-sprites to the generic dna symbol and it helps a bit but not much. Like, what I mean is if I'm dragging a non-fused mon from box to box or within a box or within my team, it's normal and non-laggy. Same thing if I'm using a fused mon with a custom sprite. But if that pokemon is an auto-gen sprite, it lags like crazy and takes a couple seconds to move from space to space within the team/box. My Pupitar/Noivern is like this, and will probably stop once it finally evolves because Tyranitar/Noivern has a custom sprite. I dunno, it's weird. I assumed the sprites were treated the same regardless of whether they're custom or auto-created, as in they're all just .pngs downloaded from the same repository, but maybe something more dynamic is going on. Is it continually checking to see if a custom sprite is available yet, each time I hover over an auto-gen one?

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 21, 2023

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Diet Poison posted:

You can get Trubbish from random encounters investigating garbage cans! (At least in modern mode. Dunno about classic.)

Haha that's great! I'll have to try and pick one up.

I'm hoping this run will be a bit easier than my first. For my first run I did an all-poison fusion gimmick, which made the elite 4 kinda hard since I didn't have good types against some of the teams.

Good 'ol grimer+kingler held it down though.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

How do you open Giovanni’s gym in 6.0? I have the other 7 badges and cleared them out of whatever skyscraper

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

You need to go do the team rocket bit that occurs on the south side of Cinnabar island with the stolen ship.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Did they ever get over the crappy installation thing?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Mescal posted:

Did they ever get over the crappy installation thing?

You won't get malware when trying to download from the official links anymore. Otherwise no not really. They're not going to make it better. I'm checked out for now because they don't listen to feedback.

Some great members of the community make a standalone installer / updater and guides:

quote:

NEW Pokemon Infinite Fusion App Installer

Developed by: megaman [Tech Manager]

- All-in-one tool for game access, installation, updates, custom sprite downloads, and more.
- Stay informed about new game versions and sprite releases.
- Launch and enjoy the game directly from the tool.

NOTE:
- You will __not__ lose any save data switching or using this installer
- If you have the Game Installed already, you can link your game to the launcher so that you don't need to reinstall!

LINKS:
Download Links [GitHub](https://github.com/x-megaman/InfiniteFusionPreloaded/releases/)
Written Guide: [Google Doc](https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sU-xZYw5cWMRmNyNbaFqfJZodaahZYs5Bv5jqnnqLeE/edit)
Preloaded Guide: [Google Doc](https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...UO-G5DCwQerYWKp)
Video Guide: [YouTube](https://youtu.be/ZbriF93E5SE)

Quick Guide:
1. Download the zip: [Download Link](https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sUR3YXt9qwQLwIbiGuqSMJxjJOxwGjTS/view)
2. Right click the zip and extract
3. Open PokemonInfiniteFusionInstaller.exe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
the discord also has a guide for installing on android that runs fairly stable which is nice. the save transferred from my pc fine as well which is an extra bonus