Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

quote:

Victoria Abraham graduated from New York University last year, ready to enter the job market. She is a self-proclaimed “fat activist” who has found her voice as a content creator on the Something Awful forums, but has concerns about applying for new job.

“Walking into a job interview as a fat person, I’m already at a disadvantage,” said Victoria Abraham. “I know that whatever my qualifications are, my weight is a con. Not to mention all the posts I make on the Something Awful discussion boards.”

But on Thursday, the New York City council passed a bill that would make it illegal to discriminate against height and weight in housing, employment, and public accommodations.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/05/11/business/new-york-weight-discrimination/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin
Given the rising rate of obesity, I’m surprised it took this long. Regardless, grats to all the New Yorkers who are large and in charge.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

i thought it was already illegal to force applicants to send you pictures of them during the hiring process

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
america is evolving into its final form

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
this thread will definitely be gassed and probably should now, however, i advocate to leave it open as a honeypot. lets see how this plays out.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
mandatory ozempics 4 all. its magical cure

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Smythe posted:

this thread will definitely be gassed and probably should now, however, i advocate to leave it open as a honeypot. lets see how this plays out.
dis

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
It's still legal (and advisable) to discriminate against goons though

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

cspams got quite a few fat activists

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I guess my plan to build housing for midgets in NYC is canceled. Pretty discriminatory if you ask me.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

quote:

Women considered obese

This reminds me of the language used to describe police shootings.

quote:

Discrimination based on weight is also comparable to the levels of racial discrimination in the United States, according to the American Journal of Public Health.

Do fat people get shot by the police a disproportionately high amount?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Height discrimination is now illegal too, incels rejoice

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

no fatties?

no, fatties!

this is a good new law

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Weka posted:

weight discrimination is probably both more common and less consequential than racial discrimination

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
this is just a patchwork solution until obesity can (and should) be covered under the ADA

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Weka posted:

way more surface area to hit, it's easy pickins

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

obesity is a byproduct of a capitalist food production system and the rising rates across the globe as hyperpalatable processed foods become increasingly available aren't going to slow down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKaMVTZUG-E

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Wheeee posted:

obesity is a byproduct of a capitalist food production system and the rising rates across the globe as hyperpalatable processed foods become increasingly available aren't going to slow down

actually it's a problem we should blame on individuals, for being too lazy and poor

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

if the only store that sells food within 20 miles of you is a gas station, its your fault you're fat

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

it’s not even entirely the food supply, that just exacerbates it. so many people these days are dealing with a constant ceaseless stress over their lovely jobs and precarious material conditions that addictive behaviour as a coping mechanism has become the norm; for many people it’s food, but compulsive weed, social media, and video game consumption are also widespread across demographics

most of the goons on this forum who will lol at fat people are themselves smoking way too much weed or playing a shitload of video games without ever thinking twice about it

people aren’t doing too great these days

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Wheeee posted:

most of the goons on this forum who will lol at fat people are themselves smoking way too much weed or playing a shitload of video games without ever thinking twice about it

I'm not sure how the three are related one is a hobby

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Wheeee posted:

it’s not even entirely the food supply, that just exacerbates it. so many people these days are dealing with a constant ceaseless stress over their lovely jobs and precarious material conditions that addictive behaviour as a coping mechanism has become the norm; for many people it’s food, but compulsive weed, social media, and video game consumption are also widespread across demographics

Yeah but doing anything about any of that stuff would require the government to do anything so we get unenforceable laws instead.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Wheeee posted:

Yes.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Wheeee posted:

obesity is a product of environmental toxins that shift the body's ideal weight, so it tries to balance energy in and out around a much higher balancing point, as evidenced by how obesity increases in river valleys and decreases in highlands

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

obesity comes from vengeful witches

Weka
May 5, 2019

my bony fealty posted:

if the only store that sells food within 20 miles of you is a gas station, its your fault you're fat

I've heard about food deserts in America but that sounds ridiculous for what I presume is an urban environment. I don't suppose there is a particular place you know of like that? I'd like to have a nosey on google maps.

Wheeee posted:

people aren’t doing too great these days

Yeah I think this is pretty accurate. One thing I wonder about is, people's material conditions have obviously historically and are currently in some places much worse, seemingly without many of the current crises. Is it the precariousness itself then causing the problem? It would seem this suggests ideas like financial literacy have some merit, where accepting a lower living standard in exchange for less pressure eg debt is encouraged, but I think there's probably a reason this is not the case.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Weka posted:

I've heard about food deserts in America but that sounds ridiculous for what I presume is an urban environment. I don't suppose there is a particular place you know of like that? I'd like to have a nosey on google maps.

Yeah I think this is pretty accurate. One thing I wonder about is, people's material conditions have obviously historically and are currently in some places much worse, seemingly without many of the current crises. Is it the precariousness itself then causing the problem? It would seem this suggests ideas like financial literacy have some merit, where accepting a lower living standard in exchange for less pressure eg debt is encouraged, but I think there's probably a reason this is not the case.

My brother lived in Burns Kansas and it was a 20 minute drive to a grocery store

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
new york stand the gently caress up

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

fast food is the staple diet for millions of americans

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Weka posted:

if you live in america and have to take the bus to get to a grocery store, that is virtually everywhere

Griz
May 21, 2001

spacemang_spliff posted:

My brother lived in Burns Kansas and it was a 20 minute drive to a grocery store

I used to live out in the hills in upstate NY and it was 15 minutes to a village with a small overpriced supermarket, mcdonalds, and 2 gas stations, or 30 minutes to a walmart or wegmans depending which way you went.

no one would deliver out there and they only plowed the roads like twice a day

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Weka posted:

No, but fat cops are far more likely to shoot "a suspect" in the back.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

r/fatlogic on suicide watch right now

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
please check your fatphobia towards fascist pigs considered obese, thank you

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

:whitewater:

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

ive been eating way too many donuts lately

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

r/fatlogic on suicide watch right now

this appears to be some kind of vichy "fatpeoplehate" subreddit and its extremely fail to read lol. also idk how youre supposed to read reddit on the browser. when u press back button it goes to the top of the thread index... wtf

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Smythe posted:

this appears to be some kind of vichy "fatpeoplehate" subreddit and its extremely fail to read lol. also idk how youre supposed to read reddit on the browser. when u press back button it goes to the top of the thread index... wtf

this u?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Smythe posted:

pretty insensitive to call it a honeypot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Al! posted:

this is just a patchwork solution until obesity can (and should) be covered under the ADA