Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Title pending, a friend suggested "Donate and I Will gently caress Your Wife" but personally I think there's a better title somewhere out there.

WELCOME TO THE CROHN'S RUN EXTRAVAGANZA! Gutsy Walk donation link can be found here:

https://crohnsandcolitiscanada.akaraisin.com/ui/GutsyWalk2023/p/41cde90cfe1b47b48c597b50deecb644

This is the thread where I run my rear end off to do my part to raise money in the battle against Crohn's disease.

For those who don't know, Crohn's is an autoimmune disease which causes your body to begin aggressively attacking itself, generally focused on the digestive system but also able to attack other areas from your mouth to your joints and straight down to your butthole. Relatives include colitis and the symptoms caused can have a range of names. In addition to profuse bleeding and pain Crohn's can cause strictures and adhesions where the intestines narrow and can even stop the passage of food, requiring surgical treatment often consisting of removal of some or all of the digestive system if the patient doesn't want to die quickly and painfully from a rupture and sepsis.

Why are you doing this?

The long and short of it is, Crohn's sucks. 2 years ago I had to choose between a temporary ostomy and probable death from an intestinal rupture, and it made my life pretty lovely for a year. If through raising money I can stop other people from needing to go through the same thing then it's incredibly worthwhile to me. Nobody should have to go through that if I can do anything to help it.

I started doing the Gutsy Walk this year to raise money and awareness for Crohn's disease, but started later than I intended. I am not satisfied that I have done all I can, which is why I wanted to do more.

OK, so what value will my money provide?

Your donation will support Crohn's research and help fund and find better treatment options and, hopefully, a cure for the disease. Doctors and researchers are continuously learning more about Crohn's with each passing year and their efforts have already paid off significantly. Immunosuppressants and biologic drugs have done wonders for treatment compared to a few decades ago, but the drugs can be expensive and painful to administer. Every dollar will go a long way to improving outcomes for those with the disease.

Other than that though, if you were wanting an additional incentive, I will run. For every 5 Canadian dollars donated I plan to run 1 mile. I will run as much as I am reasonably able to work towards the accumulated miles. My plan is to update the thread frequently to show my progress using a treadmill and mileage counter for indoor and outdoor running. My intent from the start of this has been that I would run the total amount of miles before the end of the year, and failing that I would be permabanned. :toxx: I am able to count by 5s just well enough to recognize the very likely outcome from this is the fundraiser is successful. Even if I fail and am banned, I intend to run until all the miles are covered. For me this isn't just about a fundraiser, this is also about getting fit. Prior to COVID I was on the verge of really getting fit for the first time until 2 years of pandemic isolation and a temporary ostomy decided otherwise. My weight slingshotted from about 190 to 165 and I'm now somewhere around 210. I don't like this and I want to do something about it.

What proof can you give that you won't just run off with the money to live on a private island?

Well, aside from running being the point of this, donations are done through the charity's own widget and go straight to the fundraiser. All donations are easy to track and can have a name attached or be anonymous. I'm not sure about the exact donation deadline but from what I understand it does run a little past the official date of the Crohn's walk of June 4, 2023. As of this posting, 1468.00 Canadian Dollars have already been raised thanks to people's amazing support.

Aside from that, this thread can be to discuss people's fitness goals and tips, Crohn's disease, or general health and wellness in addition to anything else people think it would a useful outlet for. I will answer any and all questions people have about Crohn's disease, what living with an ostomy can be like, or other related stuff as best as I am able. If other people are interested, I can set up a team so that other people can join in and fundraise either by walking or running. If anyone has tips or suggestions for running fundraising or the format of this thread I would appreciate it greatly.

So donate now, destroy my knees and sandblast me with your dollars for a good cause!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
ruin this goon's knees

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

cspam ftw

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
just give a link where I can donate $20 bucks and I'm there

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I’ll donate.

Crohn’s is a super hosed up disease and more money should be devoted to researching treatments or hopefully finding a cure.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

just give a link where I can donate $20 bucks and I'm there

https://crohnsandcolitiscanada.akaraisin.com/ui/gutsywalk2023/pledge/sponsor/start?pid=8806773

This should do it, lemme know if it doesn’t

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

gave $20 CSD what is that in real money

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

gave $20 CSD what is that in real money

Like 15 in US funbux

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

TheKingofSprings posted:

Like 15 in US funbux

glad to give it to you canucks

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Good luck on your run! The funnest part of getting an ileostomy from crohns was that when you fart it comes out of the hole in your front so it’s completely uncontrolled and unmuffled.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Contra Duck posted:

Good luck on your run! The funnest part of getting an ileostomy from crohns was that when you fart it comes out of the hole in your front so it’s completely uncontrolled and unmuffled.

I would trade that 1000 times over the bag seal failing.

I remember one time having to replace the bag and just standing in the shower waiting for my ostomy to finish shooting liquid as if it were a firehose for what seemed like a solid half hour.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Contra Duck posted:

that is different from the chrons in real life you nerd

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

TheKingofSprings posted:

I would trade that 1000 times over the bag seal failing.

I remember one time having to replace the bag and just standing in the shower waiting for my ostomy to finish shooting liquid as if it were a firehose for what seemed like a solid half hour.

lmao yep I had exactly the same experience after eating a bit of lettuce for the first time after the operation. It was just pouring gross water out non stop while I tried to get a paper towel on it to keep the area dry for long enough to get the bag on. God that whole time was a nightmare, I still have occasional problems with crohn's these days but at least I don't have to deal with that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Contra Duck posted:

lmao yep I had exactly the same experience after eating a bit of lettuce for the first time after the operation. It was just pouring gross water out non stop while I tried to get a paper towel on it to keep the area dry for long enough to get the bag on. God that whole time was a nightmare, I still have occasional problems with crohn's these days but at least I don't have to deal with that.

Yeah 100%, I remember it happening halfway through a 2 hour drive, just suddenly noticing my shirt was soaked

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

If your mind is not practically shidding itself running through all the topical things you could say in a Crohn's thread, then holy poo poo.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
For anyone asking this was admin approved

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

If your mind is not practically shidding itself running through all the topical things you could say in a Crohn's thread, then holy poo poo.

poo poo post thread tag

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i gave u money op

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'll gladly donate $5 to help fight Crohn's and D&D's userbase.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Putty posted:

i gave u money op

Shut up Putty

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Day 1 of running, covered 1.5 miles. Not a bad way to start off I think. Couple observations:

- Had to break it into chunks because I needed to poop after the first 8 minutes. This is actually awesome and a good sign, Crohns has strictured my bowels pretty heavily so activities like running can be greatly helpful for moving food (this applies to people in general, walking after a meal is great for you!)

- I will definitely want to be able to run outside doing this for some variety, but it's going to be important to track distance. Can anyone recommend a particular brand of mileage counter for walking/running? Don't want to bring my phone out when I go with me for a couple reasons.

- I thought I would be more winded while doing this but I can maintain 6 mph pretty reasonably so far. I think counting miles is much more rewarding than counting calories, this gives a tangible goal to work towards which is really nice for general fitness.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
a curse upon anyone who rolls up the safety string, stop doing it!!!

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Crohn's Crew checking in. Diagnosed about 8 yrs ago. Had to have resection surgery two years ago, took out a chunk of colon - thankfully no bag, though realistically I'm sure I will need one at some point in the future, because I'm sure they won't find a cure for this thing anytime soon. Anyway things have been pretty good since I recovered from that surgery, so fingers crossed.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Contra Duck posted:

I honestly didn't mind having an ostomy cause I was doing lots of alpine climbing at the time and not having to poop on some ice covered cliff was great. Also I took a lead fall once and like 2 feet of intestine squirted into my bag which was cool.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

B-Rock452 posted:

I honestly didn't mind having an ostomy cause I was doing lots of alpine climbing at the time and not having to poop on some ice covered cliff was great. Also I took a lead fall once and like 2 feet of intestine squirted into my bag which was cool.
On the other hand, your fart amplifier could cause an avalanche.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

B-Rock452 posted:

lmao but also :kstare:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

B-Rock452 posted:

Honestly one of the upsides to it was that you could just empty that poo poo out anywhere. There were a couple absolutely toxic people in my life at the time whose shoes I would absolutely have loved to have an accidental “whoopsie” on. Someone really needs to get on a pressurized attachment ostomates could use to escape their enemies like an inking squid.

Also I’ll say it, some of the half digested food looked funny.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

B-Rock452 posted:

i don't like this at all

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I don't run for poo poo, least of all the poo poo running out of my rear end!!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://crohnsandcolitiscanada.akaraisin.com/ui/gutsywalk2023/pledge/sponsor/start?pid=8806773 Going to add this into the OP when I get home but this will let anyone that wants to donate not have to spend a minute longer with that awful UI than they need to

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

B-Rock452 posted:

oh man i love GWAR

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Buce posted:

i don't like this at all

It felt really really not great. I was at a climbing gym so I just ran to the bathroom and frantically tried to get them back in.

Not sure if they do the type of ostomy I had still but the surgeon just took my intestine out and turned the edge inside out and sewed that to my stomach so depending on how active I was I would end up with a few inches of inside out intestines pushing out of me. Wasn't really bad but the sensation of a few feet coming out was a really bad one and I was super lucky it went back in or I would have needed surgery.

Oddly enough my wife had the same surgeon I had 20 years later after her cancer diagnosis. She has a colostomy now and does peer support on the side so anyone with ostomy issues she can help out with.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
2.03 miles down today. Ran after work then went for a swim to cool off.

3.53 so far

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Donated a while back but you keep on running! Crohn's and Colitis Canada were absolute dumbasses when I worked for them (they fired me while I was on vacation. Approved vacation. Because my boss didn't clear it with head office in Toronto.) But the work they do and the funds are absolutely well spent and worth it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
1.75 miles down yesterday, so I'm at 5.28 miles now!

Actual Crohn's walk is tomorrow so I'm going to do some more running today to warm up for it. I want to extend a big thank you to everyone who's donated so far! This has been wildly successful as far as I'm concerned, close to $2000 raised for Crohn's research from goon generosity is incredible. If anyone's still out there willing to donate it would of course be extremely appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Long overdue for an update, I plan on getting something more detailed but I want to jot it down here for now.

10.6 miles done this week. I’ve been keeping records, just need to go back and fill in the gaps in-between. Logging got a bit more difficult as I burnt out the condo treadmill about a month ago and it was handy for tracking my mileage.