Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
I barely watched TV for a long time and checked out Firefly. I didn’t make it more than a few episodes.

TV just didn’t have the budget to support good sci fi and fans took what they could get and loved it. But most of it was not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
When Firefly was on the air I couldn’t watch tv and one of my friends told me it inspired him to get a tattoo. I remembered thinking that must be a hell of a show and I should definitely watch that when I have time.

I feel so bad for him if he went through with it and now he’s telling his grown kids that he has a blurry blotch of ink somewhere on his body because of a canceled show about cowboys and psychic hooker therapists in space.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

13Pandora13 posted:

I remember all through the early 2000s and into the early 2010s everyone was all, "oh Joss Whedon write such good female characters and his shows are so great for women and blah blah," and that never felt accurate to me. The "strong" women in his shows only ever had strength or depth from having the absolute poo poo beaten out of them by a man/men until they became beautiful broken dolls with superhuman skills. Firefly was no different, Zoe was the only woman character with a hint of agency.

Buffy was a hot girl show written not to alienate women viewers. I think Alyson Hannigan said she didn’t even imagine her character was important to lesbians until fans told her so.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Does Buffy have much of a fanbase anymore? Seems for a while although nothing at trek or SW levels maybe had Dr. Who levels of popularity? Guessing that’s fell off as (some) existing fans would be embarrassed & new ones wouldn’t want to watch a Joss product.

I consider myself a Buffy fan but there isn’t much to talk about and it was a miracle it was good the first time I doubt they can do it again.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Or Hanks and peeing in front of an audience.

With hanks it seems more like a power play than a sexual fetish