Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shimerman, not Shimmerman, drat it. :mad:

(Also, it's à la carte, as in ordering a meal or dish from a restaurant in specific, as opposed to a prix fixe meal.)

quote:

the animated series was notable for not just the entire TOS cast reprising their roles

Except for Koenig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Can't believe you left out the best and most canon of Star Trek, Galaxy Quest. :lofty:

This is one of the most tired jokes among Trek fandom, honestly.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm watching Deep Space 9 for the first time. Seems like good timing with a new thread.

I just finished the Tosk episode. This is a pretty strong first season so far.

DS9 has easily the strongest first season of Berman-era Trek and it's not particularly close. TNG was a disaster, Voyager was boring, Enterprise was just plain bad.

It has its warts, but it found its footing pretty quickly, largely because the writers quickly adapted to the starring cast's strengths.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Eighties ZomCom posted:

This is the classic Star Trek thread. Tired old jokes are par for the course, along with the same tired old arguments such as whether or not a transporter kills you when you use one.

HARD TO PORT

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HD DAD posted:

The important thing to remember as you watch is that Eddington really loves tomatoes.

I mean, in fairness, a BLT made with tomatoes you've just picked off your own vine is pretty akin to a religious experience.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

That's the thing about being on ketamine in the ICU: you don't really get the choice in the matter. I was convinced that I was jumping into a different reality every time I went to sleep and woke up like I was on Sliders or something and that someone had stolen one of my Let's Play as was updating it without my permission while I was incapacitated when it happened to me.

Hospital drugs are a loving mind-rending trip, I'll tell you what

Before my pancreatic surgery two years ago, I had three separate stays in the hospital during which they put me on a 72-hour ketamine drip to deal with the pain.

I sent some *weird* messages to the woman I was dating at the time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

"Keiko's a bitch" has been a part of Trek threads here and on the Internet in general since time eternal, and it's exhausting and misogynistic and I would die a happy man if it never arose again.

God forbid a woman actually express her emotions, needs and wishes to her husband. DS9 is not especially great in that regard.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DS9 had a colony of the South Park underwear gnomes. Simple as that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Khanstant posted:

Didn't know we had Dyson spheres in Trek. Or is it just the one and which star or stars?

In the shows, just the one seen in TNG Relics.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrMojok posted:

I like the way he made the photon torpedoes homing weapons. I think they’ve always been portrayed as direct-fire weapons in the canonical series and movies.

With the notable exception of the end of The Undiscovered Country...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BioEnchanted posted:

Did anyone here play the PS2 game Star Trek: Shattered Universe? It's about Sulu and the Excelsior getting pulled into the mirror universe, a space shooter that I could never get very far in because I'm not very good at that genre of game, but it seemed cool. I just need to learn how to play flight sims.

I played it.

It was very much not good.

Like, very not good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Railing Kill posted:

Now listen -- Benny Russel has dreamt all of Trek reality into existence! He's real! Don't believe that Pah Wraith nonsense! That is just the writers chickening out on the implications of what they did here! Everything in Trek canon is from Benny's imagination! Don't be fooled by the lies! It's real! IT'S REAL! IT'S REALLLLLLLL! *Is dragged out of the room, screaming*

I introduced an ex-girlfriend to DS9 back in 2020, showing her a small smattering of random episodes, ending with Far Beyond the Stars.

She was completely sold on it after that and started right from Emissary immediately.

DesperateDan posted:

also the one where quark has to assemble a crack squad of ferengis to rescue his mum from the dominion is the best ferengi nonsense episode yet, and that's a fairly high bar to pass at this point

The Magnificent Ferengi is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV1y2f1Jnr0&t=74s

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BioEnchanted posted:

I'll make my own judgement when I get around to it, I like the setup and I've enjoyed many games that others think of as bad. Also it's always fun to see Worf with his hair down, I keep forgetting how much of it he has since it's always in a ponytail.

The setup is fine, but the actual gameplay is just loving terrible. There's a reason it's one of the worst-reviewed games in Trek's illustrious history of having bad games.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BioEnchanted posted:

On another note, I love how they use Bashir's hyper-intelligence in later episodes. Like when O'Brian's trying to practice Tongo and this happens:

Bashir: I don't even know the rules
*Miles hands him the pad, he glances for half a second*
Bashir: OK, Let's play...

And even then, Bashir gets smoked at Tongo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Beeftweeter posted:

they do change odo's makeup at some point, although i don't remember when exactly. you get used to it, and the later iterations look better

The big change with Odo's look is when he gets the turtleneck permanently at the beginning of the third season. (Previously, he only had it in Crossover, in season 2, but Auberjonois requested the change.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arivia posted:

There's nothing wrong with watching any episode of Star Trek. Some are great, some are good, some are bad, some are terrible. The only reason I objected is because it seemed like the OP had a goal (watching Picard with their SO) and Voyager, from what I've read/heard about Picard, is pretty relevant in setting that goal up.

I'd argue that knowledge of Voyager is more important for appreciating the entirety of Prodigy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Soul Dentist posted:

She loves the character of Picard, so she's excited for it no matter what

For the longest time, Nemesis was the worst thing Trek had ever produced.

Then Picard came along and said "hold my beer" while careening off a cliff while on fire for three seasons.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

There were rumours that he was going to be but that that was cut from the film, but honestly don't think they were real.

There was never any draft of First Contact that explicitly said Hawk was gay.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Delsaber posted:

I need a Star Trek version of Pop-Up Video that displays and debunks common fanon misperceptions as the episodes play

This is basically Mike Okuda's text commentary on the DVDs of the TOS movies.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McSpanky posted:

That obnoxious faux-documentary handheld style was in vogue at the time, you can thank NYPD Blue and 24 for that.

Homicide: Life on the Street, too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Armin Shimerman - the early days

Can you guess where this is from?

LA Law?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Hasn't it been shown that the Federation tends to do badly in any war against the Klingons though?
Yesterday's Enterprise comes to mind, and the Klingon war arc in DS9. And that's not even counting Disco.

It's been a while, but I seem to recall the Federation-Klingon war in DS9 essentially reaching a stalemate and the cease-fire happened after the Martok changeling was revealed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

Doug Jones and Sonequa Martin-Green are the headliners of a quintet act at a jazz cabaret night club in downtown Los Angeles. Wilson Cruz plays the club's high-flying owner constantly at odds with Jones' character, and Anson Mount plays Jones' loving and supportive husband.

Doug Jones is just a genuinely weird dude to look at.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gonz posted:

And they probably had the budget to pay him handsomely for it, too.

Shatner and Nimoy were making $6 million per movie by the time of The Final Frontier. They each took a small pay cut on The Undiscovered Country so DeForest Kelley could finally get his $1 million payday, as he was already in rapidly declining health.

Shatner demanded his full $6 million for, what, 30 minutes of screentime in Generations. You can be drat sure that a random episode of TNG wouldn't have had the money for him.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

What's y'all's favorite (non-Lower Decks) Star Trek gag?

"'Quark, I had to use parts of your disruptor pistol to fix the replicator, will return them soon. Rom.'"

"I will kill him!"

"With what?" :smug:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Beeftweeter posted:

"you're going to hit him with a box?"

"You're going to hit them with a box?"

"No, this is my disruptor pistol. The one I used to carry in the old days when I was serving on that Ferengi freighter."

"I thought you were the ship's cook."

"That's right. And every member of that crew thought he was a food critic. If the Klingons try to get through these doors, I'll be ready for them."

(Then the exchange I quoted happened.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Randallteal posted:

A key part of the DS9 magic for me that I don't hear remarked on that often is more frequent use of recurring guest stars. Dukat, Kai Winn, Weyoun, Garak, Martok, Kasidy, Nog, etc feel like so much more of a substantial part of the show than anyone except Guinan gets to be on TNG. Sisko's character in particular is hugely enhanced by his longterm rivalry with Dukat. There are a lot of TNG episodes with killer guest stars where at the end I'm like "boy, that was great. I wish that character was actually part of the show."

It's a testament to the quality of both the casting and the writing that some characters like Dukat, Garak and Weyoun feel like such bigger presences in the show than they actually are. Dukat only appears in 35 episodes, Garak in 33 (and only four times in the first two seasons), Weyoun in 24.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrMojok posted:

What is the episode quoted above, the bit with the phaser/replicator?

The second hour of Way of the Warrior, the season 4 premiere.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

Isn't that the kid that auditioned for Anakin? I thought his performance was much more naturalistic than Lloyd's.

I mean, every child actor in America auditioned for Anakin.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrMojok posted:

I picture him playing it the way he played Steven Glass in “Shattered Glass” (which is a genuinely good film)

Just going around constantly asking people, “Are you mad at me?!”

A lot of people around the time kept on pointing to Shattered Glass as evidence that Christensen was a good actor and Lucas just couldn't direct him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qW3YcXJeyg

No, Christensen is not a good actor.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Der Kyhe posted:

My second "wow" moment was years later when I read that when Frakes said that line he really didn't have a clue if he'd be the captain for the rest of the show or not. PatStew hadn't signed his contract and was having one of his "I demand fuckin'n'fightin"-moments and was rumored to walk.

For all he knew, he just ordered PatStew's character to be executed.

That's why BOBW2 is kind of a wet fart. It has moments (Riker and Guinan, "Sleep, Data," the Wolf 359 graveyard), but Piller wrote himself into a corner because he did a cliffhanger with absolutely no clue of what he was going to do to get out of it. Piller didn't know if he was returning, Stewart wasn't sure he wanted to come back, etc. The Borg "going to sleep" triggering a self-destruct sequence is the most gigantic rear end-pull.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Pancreatic cancer is an awful way to go

It truly is. Painful and the only thing they can really do is pump you full of painkillers.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pascallion posted:

Yeah, anyone who is steeped on TOS is going to have no problem getting started with TNG. The first season even has episodes based on Phase 2 scripts/concepts (ie the show that was scrapped in favor of TMP).

No, it doesn't. TNG used precisely two Phase II scripts: The Child (season 2), and Devil's Due (season 4).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

wode posted:

what the hell LA Law

David E. Kelley kind of specializes in that kind of wacky bullshit.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

Barge of the Dead was RDMs second and last VOY script, and I imagine that the tension he had with a now power-mad Braga probably hurt both the script and the episode itself.

Even then, he only worked on the story. Moore had already quit before the actual scripting began (Bryan Fuller took over for that role).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrMojok posted:

The CGI changes to TOS are nothing but great IMO, none of them are intrusive, or make any significant changes

Um, yeah, no. There are some decent ones but by and large they're terrible, especially in The Doomsday Machine, with the Enterprise zipping around like a fighter jet firing phasers at it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

holefoods posted:

Yeah the original stuff is obviously extremely dated but I find it charming compared to the syfy original level CGI.

The TOS Remastered CGI was also done extremely quickly, on a low budget. The Okudas and the team at CBS did their best, but the finished work was rushed, low-res (I think it was only finished at 720p) and generally looks like garbo. It was far from the labor of painstaking love that the TNG HD project was.

Edit: Like, so many of the changes in this particular episode are unnecessary at best and flat-out ugly at worst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cij2kF5SU1Q

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 15, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Beeftweeter posted:

and yeah TOS owns hard. i don't care if its dated, i love it :colbert:

TOS' gender politics have aged like milk, but in that respect it's a product of its time.

It still holds the uncontested championship of "best first season of a Trek TV series," though, and it isn't even close.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

skasion posted:

Alternative Factor is a total mess, maybe the worst episode in the entirety of Star Trek

Turnabout Intruder would like a word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MuddyFunster posted:

My Trek two-fer for tonight has been; A Matter of Honor, in which Riker flops out his massive balls over some Klingons and it's generally badass, no notes, though I've always harboured some confusion over the Klingon/Romulan Birds of Prey. Klingons and Romulans in general, actually! I feel like they have traits that get switched around a lot between generations, as it were. Wasn't the behind the scenes idea for The Bounty from III & IV that it was actually a stolen Romulan ship, hence cloaking or am I misremembering that bit of info?

In TOS' The Enterprise Incident, Spock says that Starfleet Intelligence reports that the Klingons and Romulans have been sharing technology (which is the on-screen explanation for why the Romulans are using Klingon D-7s; in reality, Wah Chang smashed the original Romulan Bird of Prey model after he got ratted out to the propmakers' union).

As originally written, the enemies in Star Trek III were Romulans. Then they became Klingon renegades who had stolen a Romulan ship. This is when the Bird of Prey was designed by ILM. Then the script was revised again and the ship just became part of the Klingon fleet (despite the Klingons never having used avian imagery in the past).