Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

I gotta admit I wasn't such a fan of the two part opener. There was something just off about it. Maybe weird direction for line delivery. Maybe poorly done ADR. I dunno, but it was like uncanny valley practically.

Emissary is the best Trek premiere, but yeah, its one flaw IMO is that Brooks doesn't have the vibe of his delivery down yet, and Carson can't direct him into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Soul Dentist posted:

Does anything cool happen to Yoshi O'Brien in the books?

Nope. I think in STO he becomes an engineer, too (but an officer), but the book timeline ends when he's like 13.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Is Strange New Worlds worth watching? I couldn't make it through the last season of Picard or Discovery.

e: poo poo sorry, wrong thread.

SNW is very good, and is outstanding when compared to PIC/DSC.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Solid first two episodes of the second season, and I'm excited to watch episode 3 tonight after work to hopefully wrap up this little civil war. If this is what I have to look forward to for the next 6 seasons, I'm a happy camper.

The Circle trilogy is not the best DS9 multiparter (you could even argue it's the worst), but it works on such a fundamental level that you totally get why everyone looked at it and said, "hey, we can do this a lot more, and lean on our recurring characters instead of highlighting one-offs," and that's the one major piece of DS9's structure that season 1 didn't have yet.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

zoux posted:

Frank Langella is great in it

Langella is great, and honestly I don't mind Beymer, either; his portrayal of "tired of it all, especially of what other people want him to be" works for me. It's just that later arcs, in comparison, put more emphasis on characters we know already or will see again.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Soul Dentist posted:

:hmmwrong:

She was curious after watching TNG and DS9 so I put the pilot on and she couldn't make it five minutes. Voyager is next level garbage

I'm not usually here to defend Voyager, but if you couldn't make it five minutes in but you're watching Enterprise, which is worthless and irredeemable start-to-finish, I actually don't think you gave Voyager a fair shot.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

holefoods posted:

This is pretty harsh to Enterprise, its biggest sin is really recycling old episode concepts which feels exhausting coming at the end of such a long string of shows. I find it way more watchable than Voyager.

I'll admit to disliking Enterprise more than most of the thread does, but setting that aside, it has way bigger sins than "let's redo a Voyager episode but make it boring!" (Which I agree is also a problem.) "Dear Doctor" and "A Night in Sickbay" just for starters.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

i think it was both, he said that black folks like him and kasidy weren't welcome in 1962 las vegas unless they were entertainers or service workers, but beyond that he also didn't understand why they were so emotionally invested in saving a holographic bar

And the episode strongly implies that Sisko wouldn't have been such a grumpy dad about their emotional investment at the start if he didn't already have that underlying offense about the whitewashing implicit in Vic's program.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Angry Salami posted:

It's kinda funny that, after so many episodes, we still don't really know anything about how the Federation government works - there's never been an episode that's established how the Federation council or the president is elected, or what sort of authority they have over member worlds.

I think this is the reason that when the old novel continuity did a book about the newly elected President (because the author wanted to do The West Wing In Space), it was actually a surprise hit and turned her into one of the more popular recurring characters for a while. People were just happy to see anything about the Federation political structure.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

The Chairman posted:

poor Ethan Phillips in the back there looking like he had to sneak into the cast photo

He looks like he got shown an assortment of fan reactions to Neelix immediately before getting into position.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

DesperateDan posted:

they also seemed to change kes into a proto seven of nine about halfway through the season, total outfit/hair change

Jennifer Lien sometimes had rough reactions to the ear makeup, so they switched to her natural hair to cover her ears so she wouldn't have to wear it as often. The outfit change was supposed to make her look older as well. They felt they had leaned too hard on "she's just two or three years old!" for the first couple of seasons and wanted to emphasize "and by the way, that makes her an adult now."

DesperateDan posted:

and apparently somewhere she dumps neelix but it gets like half a sentence of attention, unless I dozed off during an episode happened at least twice

The actual breakup happens while in "Warlord," i.e. the one where Kes is possessed, which makes it tricky to realize that, yes, it's real. IIRC, there was only going to be a scene in the Neelix terrorist episode where they discuss having broken up, and even that didn't make it as far as being filmed; the producers just didn't care.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I forget, is the difference a few days or is it longer? Because if it's only days, it's pretty easy to excuse (ship wasn't recorded as lost yet, she was marooned long enough to have lost track of the date)

It's three years.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

HD DAD posted:

It’s because Vic Fontaine is awesome.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I just assumed that it's the holo equivalent of VR goggles, where it gets popular every 30 years or so before dying again.

Yeah, Pike is even like "didn't work this time, either, and it hosed up my ship, try again next generation."

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Quark and Rom taking a wrong turn in Quark's smuggler tunnels in "The Magnificent Ferengi" and Sisko deadpanning "May I help you, gentlemen?" when they emerge in his office.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

ah, "the sound of his voice", an episode where recordings gul dukat made of himself ranting about the federation and ungrateful bajorans are played over subspace to a federation crew tasked with finding his shuttle. when they arrive, they find that the recordings were actually from a hologram dukat he created, but it killed him because he couldn't convince it that it wasn't the real dukat. they shut off the hologram generator and transfer its data to their ship, where a hidden virus activates, or something

i was originally just going to make a joke about dukat liking his own voice too much but eh it could be a mid-tier episode i guess

Dukat as Legasov at the beginning of Chernobyl ep 1, except he's just delusionally talking to rocks like they're recordings, and then he carefully puts them away in a pit of other rocks.

zoux posted:

Oh here's NOT a great running gag, The "Spock I think that's the most human whatever you've ever whatevered" and Spock going "There's no need to be insulting" or the corrolarry "Spock you're a machine/computer/most heartless guy I've ever known" and Spock going "Why thank you doctor". I think I've seen that one 3 or four times and I'm only 3 deep into s2

Unfortunately, TOS S2 has the issue where almost every episode has a lighthearted comedy routine as its epilogue, and that's the basis of a lot of them, so I'm sorry for how many more you have coming.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

We love Colm and Colm always justifies our love.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

CPColin posted:

She's not in the chain of command at all and they shine a light on it in "Disaster" and "Thine Own Self".

Edit: The chain is Picard-Riker-Data and Crusher can sub in when she feels like it

Yup. Data is second officer despite being a Lt. Commander. Crusher outranks Data and is command-certified, but that doesn't put her in the chain of command. It just means if they're not around and she is, she can captain.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Speaking of Charlie X, I did not like two episodes in a row of "being with super human mental powers does bad things." They don't feel quite like Star Trek problems (with the hindsight of having watched everything else) but somehow they're some of the first aired episodes.

TOS made some weird decisions about the order they aired the episodes vs. the order they filmed them.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Yeah, those are the only two TNG episodes Gomez appears in. She got a bigger role in the novels and then came back for a Lower Decks spot.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Zaroff posted:

I’m now envisioning Voyager getting to Earth and Janeway sending a ridiculously long claim for everything which happened over the past 7 years…

"Re: shuttles; unsure how you're claiming twenty destroyed shuttles when you set out with six and somehow came home with eight. Please note that shuttles acquired from non-Federation powers are not eligible for reimbursement upon destruction.

Accounting of expended photon torpedoes still makes no sense, and the Fraud team is getting suspicious. Please resubmit ASAP.

All Borg-related claims are hereby denied on the grounds that it was always you antagonizing them. Our curiosity regarding what the hell you were thinking is sadly beyond the scope of this process."

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Sulu was the pilot in TOS, Chekov was... the guy that sits next to the pilot? Never entirely clear what that station was, other than that it had some weapons, and Chekov plotted some courses there while Sulu sat in the pilot's ship, so like navigator? Co-pilot? Whatever the plot required?

Chekov was navigator, which had the tactical responsibilities as well because, IIRC, the weapons used the same sensors.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Iggy Pop. I did not see that coming. Was he a fan of the show or something?

Pretty much he wanted to do something, Behr et al. really wanted him to do something, but they had to wait for him to get hurt and stop touring. They were a bit dismayed that all they had for him when he was finally available was a Vorta, but he gave the perfect performance for the episode IMO.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

"The Survivors" is definitely a low-key gem. Just getting to the point of Picard having to say "we are not qualified to be your judges, we have no law to fit your crime" is an idea I hadn't really encountered anything like before in fiction.

Also one of my favorite Worf moments: "Good tea... nice house."

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Railing Kill posted:

I just read an article about the audiobook/reprinting of Andrew Robinson's Trek novel. I might pick it up, and I'm in the mindset for some good, light-ish sci fi. I haven't read any Trek novels though, so can the thread recommend some besides "A Stitch in Time?" (Because I'm already going to get that one). Looking for top 5 or 10 lists because I trust the opinion of goons ITT more than randos on the internet, especially about nerd poo poo.

disaster pastor posted:

Basically anything Diane Duane wrote, Q-Squared, the Vanguard miniseries, the TOS Mere Anarchy novellas and the DS9 relaunch novels (from "A Stitch in Time" and "Avatar" until it stops keeping your interest, but "The Never-Ending Sacrifice" at the end is quite good, as is everything else Una McCormick wrote about Cardassians) are the ones I generally think almost all Trek fans will find more to like than to dislike.

If you want something more consequential, reading the Destiny trilogy, the follow-ups A Singular Destiny and TNG's Losing the Peace, and then the Typhon Pact miniseries will get you a pretty good slice of a big-deal period of time in the novel continuity, without really punishing you much for not reading before it nor making you feel like you need to keep going after it.

As for how hard they are to find, they're old enough now that I doubt you'll have much luck with bookstores. Libraries should have a bunch, especially through interlibrary loan. Secondhand shops and Amazon used, maybe. I suspect most people who read them these days do so via :filez:, but I'd suggest the other options.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

I might be misremembering this, but wasn't the roles of Picard and Riker basically switched in the story fairly late into the pre-production process? The original plan was that Picard goes to planet to ensure that the first flight happens as it should, him being historian and an archeologist and all. And Riker stays onboard to fight for the borg.

Yup, it's come up before in the thread, though it wasn't that late in production. In the first draft that went out, the A-plot was Picard on Earth working to preserve the timeline, with the added complication of Cochrane being hurt in the Borg attack and Picard having to potentially take his place if he dies. The B-plot was Riker cleaning up the Borg on the Enterprise. Two things happened: Stewart had his usual "nope, give me the action plot, historians don't get laid" response, and the writers realized "hey, Picard is the one with serious history with the Borg, the movie's real dumb if Picard doesn't fight the Borg." So the plots got switched.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

DS9 really got Worf's potential in a way TNG basically never did.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

As much as people rag on DS9 s7, there were still some top 10 episodes in there. Like Treachery, Faith and the Great River. But of course, I'm a sucker for Weyoun.

Yeah, I can see the argument for S1, but S7, even if I were looking for poo poo to skip to get through the season faster, I come up with all of four episodes: Chrysalis, Prodigal Daughter, Emperor's New Cloak, and Field of Fire. You can make a case for Extreme Measures, which isn't very good, but it's also very much part of the finale.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

The ending of Deep Space 9 is very bittersweet. I think O'Brien is the only one who comes out totally positively, since he was better at keeping things professional and his career was on the way up (and of course, with Keiko following him back to Earth she can also get back into botany).
  • Sisko is called over to the other side by his lovely warp alien parents to abandon his family and become a deadbeat dad, leaving Jake, his wife, and unborn child in the lurch.
  • Kira is finally in control of the station, but she also finally confessed her love to Odo, which while he didn't die of the disease like she feared, he still leaves and will never return
  • Odo can no longer resist his biological compulsion to return to the Link, and has to abandon the one job he was always good at in favor of being one among many in a hive mind that he has to try to convince to be less genocidal fascists, not an easy job
  • Garak's exile is over because everyone who exiled him is dead and now he has to help rebuild the ruins of Cardassia into a society that he doesn't really respect
  • Bashir had no prospects for advancement since his secret is out and DS9 will be less important with the war over. All his friends are leaving. He finally has a girlfriend, but I'm not sure how well it'll work out since she's very literally not the woman he fell in love with.
  • Rom might be going off to a big fancy job, but throughout the entire series he was profoundly bad at working with people and is easily manipulated. His real strength in life was in engineering, and you don't have time for that when you're Ferengi-pope
  • I guess Quark has an alright deal. He's very bitter because he's a devout Ferengi fundamentalist, and his brother is an apostate off to reform Ferenginar, but Quark has always been a survivor and a schemer, and this is no different from him being bitter about his cousin owning a moon.

One thing I really appreciated about the DS9 relaunch novels was how they worked to give the characters meaningful continuations to their lives, so that the end of the war wasn't the end of their story.

One thing I didn't appreciate about the non-DS9 relaunch novels was how often DS9 got the short end of the stick.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Season 4–6 have some top-quality stuff, though you may notice more duds as you make your way through. Season 7 suddenly has a lot more duds, but, yeah, then you hit the finale and you don't care about the other poo poo.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Part of the reason for this is because they mostly gave the DS9 stuff to one writer, and somehow the continuity other than DS9 went into the future faster than the DS9 stuff. The eventual solution to this was at one point they had to jolt everything forward like 2-3 years in time and it was pretty jarring. Like suddenly Kira is no longer in charge of DS9 and is a Vedek?

It wasn't really a one-writer issue, that was more the Voyager relaunch. But Voyager ended two years after DS9, Nemesis happened a year after Voyager, and each relaunch "began" after the screen-canon stuff ended. So when the Destiny trilogy came along and they decided to line up the timeline of all the post-series books, Voyager only needed to come forward about a year to be synced with TNG, and Voyager had a less-developed relaunch to begin with anyway (four pre-Destiny books, and the most recent was four years old) while also getting some recent plot development in the TNG books, too.

But DS9 needed to jump three years to line up, and they'd had a plan for what would happen in those three years. So they put all the pieces where they intended them to go, but we missed out on the explanations of how it all happened (until later, when they went back and wrote some of the middle bits). I think the beginning of the first Typhon Pact book plays with this well, actually. Bashir sitting around mid-life-crisising about how so much has happened and the original crew has moved on hits a little more strongly when the reader is also a bit overwhelmed by how much has happened that it feels like they missed.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

What is up with the Breen?

In the shows? They're reclusive but aggressive, and their main thing is that nobody really trusts them because they mostly opt out of the political bullshit of the Alpha Quadrant. (Unless they see a really good opportunity.)

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

skasion posted:

Probably the most important single episode for the future of the Trek setting is “Journey to Babel” which attempts to give a serious(ish. It’s still TOS) look at what the diplomacy between polite space nations of the day is like. But loads of episodes introduce interesting new elements to the world, even if they are otherwise bad.

I'd nominate "The Menagerie" as well. It's a good episode and a money-saver because it let them reuse a whole bunch of "The Cage" footage... that also gets across that Kirk and the Enterprise are an important but small part of a grand organization, and establishes that the Enterprise had all sorts of adventures and discoveries before Kirk was captain. It sets the scale for the setting in a way no other TOS episode really gets into, especially not that early on.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Arivia posted:

snw spoilers pike knows he's got some horrible fate coming to him in a few years but he doesn't know what, so yeah they're definitely setting something up

Not quite. He actually has a pretty full understanding of what happens to him, both the disaster and the aftermath: "I know exactly how and when my life ends. And I didn't just see it; I felt it, every agonizing second." The memories of his post-accident self in the wheelchair bother him throughout season 1.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

The thing is he only sees the beepy chair part. He doesn't know the "go live happily ever after on Talos IV with a hot babe and the scrotumhead guys" part also happens to him.

Right. There's a bit of tension in that he's fully aware of all the horrible bits but doesn't know there's (kind of) a happily-ever-after following them.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

thotsky posted:

So, in the episode with the child-murdering utopia Pike bangs the alien lady, but a few episodes later we learn he's in a long-term relationship with Marie Batel. Do they have an open relationship, was he cheating, or had they not decided what the relationship between the characters was? In the pilot I thought she was his daughter or something.

It's implied that (spoilering for the same reasons as above) their relationship is casual at the start of the show, at least somewhat because Pike is now very reluctant to have any more lasting relationships, and it's only as time goes on, and with some missteps, that they become more committed.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Boxturret posted:

I love the bit at the end where Picard acts all confused at her saying that this giant ship was made for more than two people. The Enterprise was just for the two of them to explore the galaxy together, how romantic.

And yet, as zoux pointed out earlier in the thread, he trusts her despite the absurdity of the idea. Because even in a weird fake reality where Crusher's not sure what to believe, the possibility of a Starfleet officer not trusting his crew, and not earnestly engaging their concerns, would be too weird.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Koloth has the best lines in Blood Oath, I don't think he was weak.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why do you hate your wife

They watched all of Enterprise together, watching these two (or anything else from Voyager) should be a walk in the parkcliched stereotypical village.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Yeah, I'm not and have no interest in defending Voyager. Saying Enterprise is worse isn't defending it; Enterprise is worse than most other bad things.

If you're legit interested in high points, low points and story beats, here's the list I'd give for ten episodes.

1x01 Caretaker
2x18 Death Wish
2x24 Tuvix
3x21 Before and After
3x25 Worst Case Scenario
3x26 Scorpion
4x08 Year of Hell
4x23 Living Witness
5x06 Timeless
7x25 Endgame

And then I guess hatewatch Threshold as a sendoff if you like, it doesn't really matter if you watch it in its place or not.