Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Sash! posted:

You've been using "they" neutrally for so long that you don't even realize that you do it.

Like you see some moron driving like an rear end in a top hat and you say "look at this idiot, they're all over the road."

Although this is true, it misses the very important point that this is the anonymous gender-neutral pronoun. You don’t know who that moron driver is, so you don’t know which gendered pronoun to use, so you default to “they”. As soon as you know who they are, however, you immediately switch to using their actual pronoun.

Referring to a specific person by a gender-neutral pronoun is a relatively recent thing, especially since widespread understanding and acceptance of non-binary genders is still relatively recent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Discovery’s far-future consciousness projection holograms actually look really cool when they’re not glitching out for no reason. Rather than being transparent, they’ve instead got a weird shine to them, like you’re looking at them through a prism.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Janeway and Paris literally had kids together why aren't they on any of your lists

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

A show that didn’t chicken out of doing season-long arcs could have a season featuring aliens with weird drive tech that let them keep up with Voyager, ultimately ending with Voyager either managing to steal that tech or moving beyond its effective area. Imagine if the aliens with the galaxy-wide transporters from season 1 wound up being the recurring antagonists, instead of it somehow being the Kazon again.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I love Course: Oblivion, but the premise really does strain credulity beyond what is usually required for even a more out-there Star Trek episode. Alien goo precisely duplicates an entire ship and its crew, who then forget (or never knew?) that they were duplicated. Then, they travel for months, interacting with other civilizations along the way, and nobody notices that anything's wrong. Finally, the thing that causes everything to go wrong is the activation of a revolutionary new warp drive, the installation of which did not raise any concerns despite all of the scans of the ship and its materials presumably done in the process. How could the hyper-competent crew of the Voyager, who constantly have to deal with weird Star Trek bullshit, get to this point at all?

Once you get past that, though, it's an absolute gem of an episode. Voyager is at its best when everything is going catastrophically wrong.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1755507551406346304

Hmmm but this would indicate Star Trek is not real

SNW's Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow has established that there's Weird Time poo poo happening to push "historical" events further into the future so that they don't conflict with the real-world timeline. I still believe!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Did they disable the Voyager EMH subroutines? I just remember them doing it to their own EMH.

If I recall correctly, it was both. Voyager’s EMH had his subroutines disabled after being kidnapped by the Equinox, while the Equinox’s EMH, who had swapped with the Doctor, had already had his disabled.

e:f,b

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I think you could make a plausible argument that the Doctor’s personality is constructed from complicated interactions between multiple sets of subroutines, and removing any parts of it would have wild and unpredictable effects. Perhaps concepts like “friendship” and “loyalty” have a significant ethical component to them—maybe something like “society is healthiest when people help those they care about”—and simply fall apart when that component is removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

That bit made no sense to me. The Doctor only became truly sentient after being left active for far longer than designed and being forced outside the bounds of his programming. Why would stock EMH Mk.1 programs need to be kept around? If it’s an ethical concern about erasing fledgling sentient beings, then how is turning them into miners against their will ethical itself?

(The android slaves in Picard were “fine” because they weren’t actually people, just worker robots built with human faces for a reason I’m sure must have been a good one.)