Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

HD DAD posted:

Wasn’t the colorist for TAS colorblind lmao

Someone in the process was, don't remember the details anymore. That's why there is so much pink and purple in places that should be light or dark brown or gray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Boxturret posted:

This is what it feels like to watch people's opinion on trek stuff sometimes lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpYEJx7PkWE

I've seen it happen in real time a few times now:allears:

And the problem with this would be that....? :D

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

zoux posted:

Yooo someone itt talking poo poo about Morn?

That character derails any episode with those never-ending stories and non-sequitur jokes, they should cut his monologues out.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

...And today I learned that the official Germanese dub didn't get the memo and gave Morn an actual line that was implied but unheard in the original version.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Arivia posted:

germanese? is that what stefani germanotta speaks natively?

Well, German. But yeah, German dub of DS9 gives Morn one audible line in the lines of "So much for that…" in episode S2E26 according to Memory Alpha.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

i never really watched boston legal when it was on the air, were those jump cuts and weird pans in the original? good lord that's distracting

It was a spin off for Ally McBeal, a lawyer dramady with cutaway jokes, first Internet memes and fast cuts. If I remember correctly, Boston Legal was if nothing else a toned down and a bit more serious version of the format.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

zoux posted:

The Practice.

I have to confess, I had absolutely no recollection that The Practice and Ally McBeal were in fact two different shows.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Arivia posted:

deadlock: harry kim is dead!

no, really

seriously 100% he is actually dead

"but what about the harry kim in the rest of the series"

that's the harry kim from one dimension over

i'm not making this up

Yes. And they follow this in Star Trek Online where the Kobali corpse snatchers revive the original Kim and what happens is a really loving frustrating Super Mario Bros level unlike anything other where the guy simply cannot get a clue that he is now one of the Kobali.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

The Federation Charter is not a suicide pact. It was originally founded as basically a Space NATO of five worlds at war with the Romulans who realized they had to combine resources or get conquered. And thus, Starfleet's peaceful exploration ships have enough firepower to glass a planet.

Considering the types of assholes they keep constantly encountering while doing peaceful exploration missions, that's just mission requirement.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

They also should have kept original concept of the true grit space trucker Mayweather instead of hiring that cheese cake who could barely act.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

zoux posted:

If I were the Xindi, I would've simply shown up with my completed death star and reduced the earth into a debris field instead of sending over an amuse bouche of a micro death star to angry up the humans' blood.

That I never understood; It could have simply been some random Earth colony and the weapon fires and fails catastrophically when doing so, so they need to make a bigger and better one. And ENT gets that refit and goes to investigate and pursue.

They also should have introduced the Picard-canonized NX-1 refit for that season. "Make the ship stronger, larger and have more weapon systems so you now get an aux hull for marine group, a larger hangar for assault shuttles, and more phasers".

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

The NX-01 refit apparently didn't even exist until years after Enterprise got cancelled and was done up to lend credence to that whole "What we would have done in Season 5" stuff that folks like Manny Coto and Brannon Braga started jawing about. I'm happy the refit is canon now, but it if was gonna be in Enterprise... they'd have put it in Enterprise.

Yeah hindsight is 20/20 but also they say in the show that "Enterprise gets a refit from exploration missions to combat missions", so it would have been a great place to introduce the "traditional Enterprise look".

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Soul Dentist posted:

:goofy:

Also I think Phlox is now my favorite doctor

E: surpassing Pulaski

Pulaski was an idea that didn't really work out because she was constantly mean to an autistic person who didn't understand why he was picked on and they really didn't socialize at all because Picard didn't have the same crew dynamics that Kirk had.

McCoy and Spock threw burns to each other that could cause 3rd degree scars, but they respected each other and were both friends with Kirk giving the idea that outside camera the three were drinking buddies.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

A version of TNG where Patrick Stewart said "gently caress this, I'm out" in the summer of 1990 and they just killed off Picard, let Riker keep the big chair full time and promoted Elizabeth Dennehy to main cast status would have been loving amazing. Riker and Shelby had such a crackling "I hate you, but you're right" chemistry with each other. It would have been fun to have gotten four whole seasons and four movies out of that dynamic.

Not to mention that PatStew gone, as Riker is basically Frakes but in the future, and all the dissonance between the main character and the actor would have been gone.

I mean, William Shatner is James T. Kirk. Its obvious from Boston Legal, he still is the commander of a space ship, but its just a law firm in Boston.

EDIT: We never got TekWar or that cop show Shatner did, so I have no idea if he played that in any different way.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Wait til u hear what picard did

DISCO and Picard both did; Star Trek now looks like Mass Effect, and you'll learn to love it or ELSE.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MrMojok posted:

Haha, yeah. The whole episode was glorious. I am now watching “Bar Exam”

I think now my Ferengi-hatred came from the TNG episodes, where I do not think they were portrayed in quite the same way. I used to get tired of the ear-as-erogenous-zones jokes.

DS9 is really, really rich IMO. More so than anything that came before. Maybe more so than anything that came after. And I’m a TOS homer.

At least the early TNG Ferengi-episodes were still trying to do that "Ferengi are the new Klingons"-angle that really didn't take off at any point. But Gene's vision and all that, before reinventing them as what they were in DS9.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MrMojok posted:

BBC America showed The Best of Both Worlds this morning. What an rear end-kicker of an episode(s)

I’ll never forget when it originally aired, seeing Riker say “Fire!” followed by TO BE CONTINUED and yelling Noooooo! at the TV as I realized I’d have to wait three months to find out what happened.

My second "wow" moment was years later when I read that when Frakes said that line he really didn't have a clue if he'd be the captain for the rest of the show or not. PatStew hadn't signed his contract and was having one of his "I demand fuckin'n'fightin"-moments and was rumored to walk.

For all he knew, he just ordered PatStew's character to be executed.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MikeJF posted:

They intended Picard to be quite stern and distant at the start, but they began to soften him up pretty soon in when they realised that worked better.

Riker was also supposed to be a hardass who is never pleased with anyone's performance and "would get a seaman flogged for serving his coffee too cold".

Surprisingly that characterization didn't stick around either after the Great Quaalude of the Galaxy went senile and later kicked it.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

zoux posted:

It didn’t stick around ten episodes

Yes, they improvised a bit from the start as their casting was as chaotic as the writing for the first few seasons.

Gene first used veto on having a klingon crew member but then OK'd it so they had to switch things around; they also cut out all of the "civilian life onboard the ship"-storylines that were supposed to be the comic relief away from the serious starfleet official business at the relatively last minute.

Beverly was supposed to be the rector or head mistress of the school onboard USS Enterprise, and her son just another student. Her role was just rewritten as they didn't have doctor at the time yet, nor an idea what sort of doctor to get, and she was already there. Also Tasha Yar was a role that written for a character that wasn't really needed now that they had Worf, and Troi was demoted from intelligence officer to ship councilor so she would do at least something else than security-related stuff.

And they still managed to launch the show without a Chief of Engineering.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 13, 2023

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Also, why is it always Section 31, not Starfleet Intelligence? "Normal" intelligence service is too nice for your writing, so it always has to be the team assholes from the already morally very grey group of people?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

cenotaph posted:

I also decided to watch Voyager and I'm sort of enjoying a lot of the episodes and a few are quite good. I guess a couple of decades of distance from the hype machine about how different it would be and comparing it to the dire poo poo that came after it has improved my opinion somewhat.

One thing I that really amused me is Chakotay being pissed that he had two spies in his crew and then Janeway and Tuvok don't clue him in on their plan to use Paris to find the spy. Dude is the most gullible man in the galaxy.

I agree with Ronald Moore that Voyager should have kept at least some of the fatigue and experience permanent losses at times while Voyager gets more and more jury-rigged during its travels back home, but seeing what he did with the BSG's "everything always turns for worse and this nice thing was in fact the worst part of it" again and again I am also glad Voyager didn't do *that* either.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MikeJF posted:

In the first season or two she seems to really more more of a counsellor in that the counsels the captain, in the old definition of the word.

According to 50YM, originally she was supposed to be an intelligence officer, who would consult captain on the matters related to Starfleet intelligence and other sensitive matters; that's what originally bought her the third front seat.

But then her role was retooled into what we got, and the "resident spy" side of her characters was written out of the drafts and already existing scripts.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The best is TNG and its not even close with any other contender.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Nessus posted:

Submarines tend to be very low-polygon in real life

Its as if having all the cool angles and non-round shapes would make the pressure chamber not to withstand the pressure of the ocean.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

EDIT: Wrong Star Trek argument, but ParamountCBSViacomWhatever is still bad at business.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 26, 2023

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Eimi posted:

Was it even popular with kids? I heard that it just got us Trekkies on board.

Well, even if it wasn't it was at least one of their better ideas to get more new fans aboard.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's plenty implied that humans can go out and do without being in Starfleet, but it's never gone over in any detail because the show is extremely not about them.

There is a weird thing where it seems like spaceships aren't really that common in Trek. Colonies and research bases get set up by a ship plopping them down somewhere and then just loving off. If something goes wrong with the colony, well, you're hosed until Starfleet can send help. I think TNG goes hardest on that. Even when they run into other "spacefaring" civilizations, it's common for them to have just one ship or even no ships locally. TOS had a number of human traders and adventurers roaming around, Enterprise establishes the idea that there are cargo ships making runs between colonies that ended up as sort of colonies unto themselves since they were going so slow.

There might also be an implication that you need a really big ship to really have a practical chance in the galaxy at large as opposed to Star Wars's propensity for tiny little ships, but the Enterprise is also stocked with a bunch of tiny little warp-capable shuttlecraft that regularly roam a long distance away from the ship. But there don't seem to be very many shuttle-sized alien ships out there.

At least LDS and PIC bring up civilian space ships and non-Starfleet operators every now and then.

Its also hilarious that Jean-Luc Picard also seems to be the only person in the galaxy who has to steal or highjack a space ship every time he wants to leave Earth, because Starfleet wont lend him even a shuttlecraft.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

dr_rat posted:

So... what's the wait time on requesting a civilian Galaxy class, you know just for having some nice driving around wheels?

Asking for a friend.

Well, Geordi put his together from the scrapyard donors and by PIC there are no longer Galaxies or Nebulas running around, so ~30 years if you luck into getting one from the surplus auction.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MuddyFunster posted:

That is unbelievably lovely.

That's was actually more common occurrence than many would guess, and its not unusual for the actors to have a clause in their contract saying that they aren't allowed to do major changes to their looks without getting OK'd by the studio because this happened: https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2440169/keri-russell-was-responsible-for-felicitys-infamous-haircut

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

lol i completely forgot about tom paris, but yeah he'd be too late to reference in SNW too

oh that's not as bad as i was expecting. honestly i wish SNW would have gone with the romulans instead of the gorn but i realize that doesn't exactly fit in with the timeline. in fact, i think after "the enterprise incident" nobody sees them again until TNG's "the neutral zone"? that's maybe excluding a few movie appearances though i guess

No I think that's fairly accurate; it was supposed to be Romulans in ST3 but the executives went "what, NO, use klingons again.".

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

Lol that all the NX class ships were named after NASA space shuttles, making the causality loop of the shuttle Enterprise even funnier. Though as has been stated, it was a distinguished name in US Navy history so it's not completely without precedent.

Well, technically Space Shuttle Enterprise was supposed to be space-capable in the end when it was built, but it was found out that making Atlantis was actually cheaper than refitting the Enterprise prototype up to spec.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Boxturret posted:

I just watched what was on tv, so some how I ended up seeing Star Trek TMP, and then none of the other TOS movies, and all the TNG movies multiple times.

If you lived in Finland between 1993-2005 you would have gotten TNG, DS9 shown out of order, half of the Voyager, and TOS.

Every summer it would be a coin toss if you would get TOS+movies, or first 3 seasons of TNG as summer reruns, put to a daily block of MacGyver, Knight Rider and A-Team.

After that, random Kelvin or TNG movie every now and then, and nothing else ever on the free channels.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

That leads to the question of what would the Federation do if one of its citizens, through some quirk of subspace physics or super-science biology or whatever, actually did commit a willing act of complete and total genocide? I mean, without being Douwd- or Q-level omnipotent they'd have to put a lot more effort and malice aforethought into it, but still. Assuming you even can, what justice can there ever be in response?

It's almost like the entire philosophical/moral framework breaks down at the extreme edges.

A complete quarantine of the section perhaps? They have done it before for reality-altering beings.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

The case of Talos IV is especially funny because later they established that the Talosians can project their illusions at least as far as Starbase 11, so there wasn't much point to only forbidding visits to the planet itself.

Well, on the other hand Q had a real interest in the play and wanted to see how this plays out, so they would slap those upstarts noveau godlikes like flies, if they mess with their game of Q and Picard.

"There is always a bigger fish", etc.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MrMojok posted:

If you have a kindle, Amazon has several Trek novels available.

Here are the Diane Duane ones, if this link works:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=diane+du...d1H8CJYZxeCZjzE

And if it interests anyone, had ENT gotten its fifth season those Rihannsu books would have been used as a basis for the Romulan society that would have been the overall theme. They are pretty much as near to canon as anything can be without being one.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is somehow even worse. You either commit or you don't. I loving hate changes to canon made in non-canon sources. Reeks of "the wizards used to poop in the corners" Pottermore poo poo.

Matalas doesn't even commit to the main plot points of the previous seasons of his own show, why would he ever commit to something that was implied, but not explicitly shown on screen.

The guy truly is master craftsman of "a wizard did it" combined with "boomer TNG fan".

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Arivia posted:

Did he? Kind of a mixed blessing, more adventures with the TNG cast with better staff would have been nice.

Frakes is still interested on lobbying for it, but with the writer's strike and Paramount having financial problems that project is dead.

Unless that Star Trek Academy show is an absolute superhit, which it won't be because its a season 3/4 future-DISCO spinoff where everything has gone to poo poo, and things only happen now in dimly lighted rooms on dutch angles.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

I get what you are saying about planned arcs, but shooting scripts and production issues are very different beasts. You also have the departure of Susan Ivanova (Claudia Christian) from the station which required rewriting elements of the season 5 arc and introducing a new character. I know there's no official reason for why Christian left, but I wouldn't be surprised if being canceled and then saved at the last minute didn't play a role. Like maybe hearing that the show was over made her realize how much she wanted to put it behind her so when they offered her a role in season 5, she wasn't interested. It doesn't really matter because the point is that the season 5 that was planned wasn't exactly the season 5 that we got.

Her wikipedia page says that she got the Terry Farrell treatment and was kicked out after requesting a smaller role for the last season, as she had already another project lined up after the B5 ends.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

DesperateDan posted:

I wanted to like it more I mean it's even got picard machine gunning down some borg but it just doesn't feel quite right& the plot never really felt like it came together, and bits like picard smashing the glass and yelling that felt cheesy rather than dramatic

I might be misremembering this, but wasn't the roles of Picard and Riker basically switched in the story fairly late into the pre-production process? The original plan was that Picard goes to planet to ensure that the first flight happens as it should, him being historian and an archeologist and all. And Riker stays onboard to fight for the borg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

disaster pastor posted:

Yup, it's come up before in the thread, though it wasn't that late in production. In the first draft that went out, the A-plot was Picard on Earth working to preserve the timeline, with the added complication of Cochrane being hurt in the Borg attack and Picard having to potentially take his place if he dies. The B-plot was Riker cleaning up the Borg on the Enterprise. Two things happened: Stewart had his usual "nope, give me the action plot, historians don't get laid" response, and the writers realized "hey, Picard is the one with serious history with the Borg, the movie's real dumb if Picard doesn't fight the Borg." So the plots got switched.

Thanks for confirming my hazy memory!

Patstew really is the main villain of Jean-Luc Picard, although this time he actually did manage to make his usual complaint to make sense. I still want to say "probably not intentionally", though.