Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Delsaber posted:

I need a Star Trek version of Pop-Up Video that displays and debunks common fanon misperceptions as the episodes play

Let's watch Pop-Up Balance of Terror!

*pop* Lt. Stiles does not become the swagger-stick-bearing first captain of the Excelsior -- that's Styles, a completely different person.

*pop* Despite Scotty saying this one Bird of Prey's "power is simple impulse", that doesn't mean the Romulans don't have warp drive at all. (Or even that this ship doesn't -- he was talking about its available power levels for a battle scenario, after all, not its cruising speed. Besides, it has loving warp nacelles.)

*pop* Here the phasers look and act more like photon torpedoes than the beam weapons they usually are. ...Yeah, we don't know either. Just go with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

Someone in a comment made a point that he may be more sensitive to it because he's experienced that era for real in Far Beyond the Stars, so it's kind of raw for him in a way that it isn't for the others.

This exactly. To most people in Star Trek, 20th-century-or-so racism is just a historical curiosity from the bad old days. (For example, Uhura's calm and detached attitude to being called a "Negress" by Abraham Lincoln in The Savage Curtain.) But Sisko got to actually live it, up close and personal, so it makes perfect sense that it's more personal for him.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Canon doesn't have to be a millstone around a prequel writer's neck. I think it should be considered just part of the landscape on which they're creating.

I mean, historical tales and period pieces all have to acknowledge the "canon" of the real world to at least some extent, but you don't see writers complaining that there's no freedom in writing a movie that's set in 1930s France because the audience already knows about the war that's coming and how it all turns out.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

My mom used to watch Boston Legal and Shatner was delightful in what I saw of it. Also seemed like half the cast was from Trek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo2b3WUUQ-o

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

Close. The show had a legal aspect.

Hill Street Blues?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

good question. to be clear i'm not sure, but there's definite utility there in reducing the need for biological labor. that seemed to be the impetus to trying to make more data-type androids: basically, having an officer that doesn't get tired, doesn't need sustenance, is physically powerful, is a walking encyclopedia, can perform multiple roles; poo poo like that.

In the history of many worlds, there have always been disposable creatures. They do the dirty work. They do the work that no one else wants to do because it's too difficult or too hazardous. And an army of Datas, all disposable? You don't have to think about their welfare, you don't have to think about how they feel. Whole generations of disposable people.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

It had better be read by---

startrek.com posted:

narrated by Robinson himself
YES!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

McSpanky posted:

It works best in "Q Who?" when he's teaching the crew a lesson with alternating smug aloofness and somber import, and "Deja Q" where he's copping his usual self-superior dickhole attitude but without the power to back it up, everyone's just so over him.

Deja Q is my overall favorite Q episode just because the humor works so drat well. But my favorite Q moment is from Tapestry. It (arguably) changed my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGvUDvZ7KyU

I have no particular recollection of my first time seeing the episode; from the airdate it would have been in my junior year of high school. It certainly didn't feel like a life-changing experience. But there were so many times over the next decade or two, in both my personal and professional lives, when my first inclination was to go low-key, to hide, to play it safe. And then I would remember Q, in his ridiculous white God robe: "And he never, EVER got noticed by anyone"... and I would change my mind.

Changing my mind thanks to Q has worked out pretty well for me so far. In many ways.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Railing Kill posted:

The reason she stops appearing after S3 isn't because the writers forgot she existed. She section-8'd her way out of service and is holed up in her quarters just hanging on with the help of what little counseling that ship can provide.

Neelix is Voyager's de facto counselor.

The only other option is the Emergency Counseling Hologram.

*Robert Picardo appears, wearing Counselor Troi's blue dress* "Please state the nature of the emotional emergency."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Somebody really likes these cast photos that look like they're on a completely different show.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Arivia posted:

Acomfymoya

Acomfymuumu

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

No Dignity posted:

If you ever encounter your doppelganger you have to murder them, there's no other way really

"If you meet the Buddha Captain on the road, kill him"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

MrMojok posted:

Why no Kirk episode, in any of these shows? Is it because Shatner is just a total dick?

I’m not trolling, I am legitimately wondering

The Kirk episode was called "Star Trek Generations".

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I love Gangster Planet

From a serious, science-fiction, plausibility-oriented, canon-minded perspective, A Piece of the Action is completely ridiculous. It's a joke.

Which is exactly why I love it. I love Kirk's attempt to drive a stickshift. I love Spock trying to be a gangster. ("Check?" "Right.") I love Scotty trying to use gangster terms. ("Concrete galoshes!") I love Fizzbin. I love Kirk's solution to the whole scenario. I love the prospect of the Iotians reverse-engineering McCoy's communicator. The entire episode is a joke, it's completely loving ridiculous AND I LOVE IT.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

MuddyFunster posted:

"Ugly! Ugly! Giant bags of mostly water!"

Home Soil, I love it, I'm crying with laughter. A reasonably compelling mystery, an inorganic lifeform Picard and Co. are slowly coming to understand, then they finally make contact with it and it starts ROASTING in a hilarious "I! AM! A! ROBOT!" voice.

A classic moment, but I still wish they hadn't said the thing was being powered by the room lighting, which should be barely enough to run a solar-powered calculator. It wouldn't be that hard to come up with a bit of technobabble to plaster over that. Here, I'll spitball a line of dialogue for Data right now that does exactly that: "Captain, the crystal is somehow siphoning power from the high-energy plasma in the ship's EPS conduits. I do not yet completely understand this process, but it appears that the energy transfer is being catalyzed by... photons in the visible-light range." Boom, plausibility restored and the rest of the episode can play out as written, complete with starving it by turning off the lights.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

i mean it also could just be an extremely efficient photovoltaic or something

There are only so many joules of energy in the photons from the light bulbs, so even if you catch 100% of that, it wouldn't be enough to shake the ship around like it was doing. Like you couldn't invent an "extremely efficient paddlewheel" that would power a factory from the water flow in your kitchen sink. There just isn't that much energy there.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

MrMojok posted:

e: i forgot, it also gave us some great lines

"Gentlemen, I suggest you beam me aboard."

A.o.D. posted:

Is it weird for me to say that I'd like to see SNW have Matt Decker show up, just to do a character study on him when he's not mad with grief?

I would love the gently caress out of that. Accompanied by a bright, happy rendition of the Constellation's leitmotif.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Conscience of the King is pretty good.

Conscience of the King's premise is quite a bit better than its actual execution.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Kinda want to put a huge mural of the doomsday machine on the back wall of the garage, and then do the Commodore Decker faces every time I pull the car in.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

MuddyFunster posted:

Might get reduced back to how she was in the pilot, bleating "PAIN! PAIN! HORRIBLY ICKY PAAAAIN!"

Yeah, in the pilot, she was playing it more that she didn't just read emotions, she felt them right along with whoever she was sensing. Which could have been an interesting way to do it, but unfortunately the plot of Encounter at Farpoint really only gave opportunities for her to be wailing in pain over and over, and not much else. If there'd been a more mixed bag in the script, it could have been a chance for her to show off some variety in her acting chops, but as it was, the audience mostly rolled their eyes.

So after the pilot, Troi's ability was made less dramatic and more matter-of-fact. Which was both a good thing and a bad thing. It mostly prevented Farpoint-style cringeworthy moments, but it also reduced one of the character's main points of interest.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't know if it's intentional or not, but The Loss also kinda proves the point of fans who say that Troi wasn't that great of a counselor outside of using her empathic abilities.

In fairness, she was freshly-traumatized by a sudden disability and having trouble adjusting. Like if a human counselor who was really good at reading facial expressions suddenly went blind, we'd give them a bit of slack if it took them more than a couple of days to adapt to working audio-only.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

MuddyFunster posted:

Should I keep posting my thoughts on the rest of the show as I go? I thought you guys would appreciate a first timer's experiences, but if you want me to cool off, I'll do so.

:justpost:

(Given the episodic nature of TNG, there's probably no reason to create a spoiler-free blind watch thread in Sci-Fi Wifi, like a number of other shows have. Posting your reactions here works fine, I think.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

Watching TOS now and it's kinda funny how often there's some crisis and Kirk wants reports from all department heads. Like, yeah, Ron Howard's brother is threatening to blow up the ship, let's get a report from the head of the history department.

Ever since the incident in Charlie X where the meatloaf in the galley ovens mysteriously turned into turkey, Kirk knows that weirdness can strike anywhere, and he wants to know about it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

skasion posted:

I think they wanted to make Wesley annoying in S1 and you’re supposed to relate to Picard being sick of his poo poo, but they just way overdid it.

I'm skeptical that they intentionally made Wesley a bit annoying. Remember that the character was created by a certain Eugene Wesley Roddenberry.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

MuddyFunster posted:

Meanwhile, there's a new hero cruising the space lanes! He's rude! He's crude! He's a real cool dude with lots of 'tude! I know this because Troi awkwardly told me so a couple of minutes into the episode. Yes, it's none other than The Outrageous Okona who, let's face it, is an immediately hatable cock and the way all of the crew moon at him like he's the best thing ever makes me hate them too. He's like if Harry Mudd were inexplicably loved by one and all. He's basically Poochie. Jesus CHRIST, I do not like his antics.

Fun fact: the actor who played Okona was the runner-up to play Commander Riker. They brought him back in a guest star role as a sort of consolation prize.

Zaroff posted:

The strangest thing about using Joe Piscopo is that well known stand-up comic Whoopi Goldberg is right there in the holodeck with Data.

"Is it just me, or does this 'Hoo-pie' person bear a striking resemblance to Guinan?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hra0I-w3XBY

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

MuddyFunster posted:

Good grief!

I was thinking this was just a weird one shot character nobody cared about. Clearly somebody, somewhere is fond enough for him to pop up again.

His reappearances are fairly recent.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Tighclops posted:

I fuckin love those pylons

Just keeeeeeep circling.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

zoux posted:

3&4 it sounds like a 90s sitcom. Which is funny because s3 is a war crimes horrorshow so you'd have some dark cold open and then smash cut to Star Trek: Friends

There's a whole little youtube subgenre of redoing show credits to fit the theme song from Friends. The DS9 one is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59_Wzssx4iA

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Boxturret posted:

How much of the enterprise intro is new footage? Is the ISS assembly stock footage? Then there's that shuttle launching. They also have that one shot of the phoenix from first contact before finally showing the enterprise.

The ISS shots are all special effects. They had to be, since only the first few pieces of the station had been launched by 2001.

The rollout of the shuttle Enterprise is at least partially faked -- Enterprise never had her name on the forward fuselage below the windows, it's always been aft of that, on the payload bay doors. (My best guess is that that's actually footage of the rollout of Endeavour, and they photoshopped the name. I haven't found the actual original footage but I've seen photos of the event that look similar.)

And of course they did a bit of animation to add movement to some photos, like the bootprint on the Moon and the Sojourner rover rolling up to the Mars rock.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Boxturret posted:

Yeah I was just wondering if it was something they made for the show or some render made by NASA.

Ah, okay. Yeah, as far as I know, it was made internally by the show's special effects people.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Marsupial Ape posted:

Honestly, you could live in a one room apartment with nothing but a replicator and do just fine. You don’t even need plumbing: just eliminate directly into the replicator and hit the de-materialize button. Spic and span.

Just make sure you've pulled completely out of the replicator before hitting the button. Don't want to dematerialize any anatomical bits. :ohdear:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The sheer amount of paperwork required for the "lost shuttlecraft" claims across all of Starfleet was enough to strain even the planetary-scale document printers of Xeroxia III.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The original series two-episode VHS tapes seemed to always pair a good episode with a crappy one. And the crappy one usually went first, requiring a bunch of fast-forward-stop-play-stop-rewind-play just to find the beginning of it. The single releases, where each episode had its own tape, were much nicer. It would have taken up more shelf space that way if you wanted a complete collection, but who had money for that? I just wanted to own my favorite few.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

MuddyFunster posted:

TNG Season 3 begins! And it's all looking very good, the lighting is nice and colourful, there's new visuals in the opening (I love that they've not gotten rid of the odd planet rings/starfield quirk in the remaster)

I've always hated/loved how the ringed planet in season 3+ "pulls away" the much denser starfield in the new effects sequence to try and hide the wipe to the existing footage of the ship. Once you've seen it you'll never miss it again. :allears:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Der Kyhe posted:

A complete quarantine of the section perhaps? They have done it before for reality-altering beings.

The case of Talos IV is especially funny because later they established that the Talosians can project their illusions at least as far as Starbase 11, so there wasn't much point to only forbidding visits to the planet itself.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

McSpanky posted:

That isn't why Talos IV is forbidden, it's forbidden because it's possible to learn the Talosians' godlike power of illusion, as they themselves said.

Wait, really? I may need to rewatch The Cage/The Menagerie.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

All I know is if I was on the Enterprise-D and needed to talk something over, I'd be going to see Guinan instead of Troi.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

zoux posted:

Was anyone done dirtier than Terry Farrell

Wah Chang?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Also RIP to Mark Margolis who played Apgar

"You're a dead man, Apgar. A dead man." :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Someone in the writer’s room really wanted Trip and T’Pol to suffer because their last scene together in TATV is them saying they’re going to miss each other after the decommissioning. Ten minutes later, Trip’s lungs are turning into liquid and T’Pol spends the rest of the episode completely shell-shocked from the loss.

Hey, gotta make somebody suffer and O'Brien isn't in this one.